ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Performing "Rock me baby" with Buddy Guy
Orpheum Theatre, Boston September 8, 2002
Scanned from IORR No. 45, photo by Kevin Mazur

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: giants stadium thoughts/comments please Return to archive
09-29-02 02:50 AM
chevysales still buzzing from 1.5 hrs ride home and 4th row seats sec 3 keiths side
and can't wait for hartford but.............

this NY crowd was not at all as excited/into it as MSG (or to compare to stadium show Gillete) i use msg as its a new york audience but audience noise during intros was pretty quiet.

i thought sound was good and that tonight keith played some great guitar work. really sounded good during JJF and SFM along with about all his other parts but those 2 stand out rite now to me.

one slip up it seemed keith either started satisfaction too early or was to hold lead in a bit longer as mick wasn't ready (or on stage?) this is what i gathered from ronnie running up to him during satisfaction opening and kinda pulling him back to get his attention shortly thereafter mick appears, so i assume it was he who wasn't ready?

hey i like howard stern but his entourage of 25 is a bit much.

comments??????

[Edited by chevysales]
09-29-02 01:29 PM
Riffhard I have seen alot of stadium shows by the boys but this was the best by far!Hey,chevy I don't know where you were sitting but on the floor the crowd was going apeshit nuts!

I missed the preshow party b/c we got to the lot much latter than expected thanks to some dumbass who drove his car up onto the lane divider creating havoc.Missed you guys.I called scope but couldn't relly hear him with all the partying going on around him.Sounds like you guys had a great time.

As for the show.Wow!Was Keith on it or what?!Let me say this as well,anyone who thinks that Ronnie is missing cues or Keith is playing sloppy and playing in the wrong key you are dead wrong!The Stones are at the top of their game.Last night I heard so many people who were leaving just gushing!It's always cool to hear people who have never seen the Stones rave about them on their way to to the lot.They had just found out what we knew all along.The Rolling Stones always have been and always will be the greatest live act ever!Noone is even close.I almost feel sorry for other bands!There will never again be a another band quite like them.Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World?Your goddamned right they are!

As for highlights I'd say that Keith really lit a fire onstage.He was obviously having a good time.The guitars were really up in the mix which is always a good thing.SFM was just insane!Keith all over that one.Also I thought Undercover worked really well.Monkey Man was much better than the last time I saw it live in '94 in Miami.Again it keeps coming back to Keith.His take on Happy was spot on.Just great.Slippng Away was much better than the butchered version of Before They Make Me Run at MSG.Mick was,well,Mick.Need I say more?The guy just refuses to coast ever.He works a crowd better than anyone.Ofcourse we all knew that!Ronnie once again in great form.The sitar/guitar weave in SFM with Keith was inspired playing.The guitar interplay was suberb all freaking night!I was suprised at how well You Got Me Rocking came off.Everyone was singing at the top of their lungs during the hey,hey,s.Angie was nice little treat.You want guitar rock?Well about JJF?!Keith and Ronnie just played the hell out of it.I've seen this song live dozens of times but I never get sick of it.The way that they played it last night how could you?

Yes it was a warhorses show.No suprise there.I will say this though anyone who is so jaded that they can't appreciate seeing SFM,JJF,and Satisfaction live by the Stones in front of 55,000 screaming maniacs,well let's just say I wouldn't want to sit next to a bore like that!If you are such an uberfan who sighs at the thought of having to listen to HTW one more time then stay the fuck home and listen to hours of boots!

As for people who are looking for miscues well they are there on occasion.That's the Stones though.Raunchy and rough!If you want to put on your lab coat and disect Ronnies solos and missed leads or Keith's occasional wrong key well have at it.The rest of us will be getting our rocks off with The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World!!

Riffhard

PS-We had great seats second row behind the poopdeck.Charlie was wearing red socks.His bald spot is growing!
09-29-02 02:28 PM
sirmoonie What Riffie said!

Sound was fantastic. Clear, perfect volume.

Start Me Up, Don't Stop, Tumblin', YCAGWYW, and Gimme Shelter stick out in my head as the best.

Plenty of mistakes, Mick, Keith, Ronnie, all 3 of them fucked up several times. It didn't matter in the slightest.

Keith did seem much more energetic than the last two shows I've seen. Someone must have put tequilla in his vodka.

At least in my section, crowd was going nuts. And I was way up in the upper deck.

Nitwit next to me yelled "play something we know" during Undercover. The law says you can't kill them.....

During last two songs, I moved down to the stairway rail of my section. Who do I see standing in the middle of the aisle with a look of ecstasy on his face? The Magic Man - Houdini - Voodoo Child IW himself, using part of his shoe as his imaginary microphone! Classic!

Great tailgate! Scopey is C10A all the way!

Take a young Mick Jagger, mix with some Steel Driving Hammer, stir in your favorite adult beverage, presto! Honky Tonk Man/Alex!
09-29-02 02:36 PM
scope Hey Riffhard, we kept looking for you, but that parking lot can be a pain to get around from section to section.

we had a great time, partying next to Stonedoug and his friendly crew. The Rocks Off group consisted of Jaxx, Gazza, Voodoo, Maxmeister, Honky Tonk Man, Sirmoonie, Luxury1, ~AzQb, Nankerphelge, myself and cameo apperances from BobM and Ken. Stay tuned for some 'selected' photos from the tailgate party.

I agree with your comments. The band was ON again. Keith was especially into this one, and I too saw that Satisfaction mixup that Chevy pointed out. I also thought there was something strange going on during Can't Turn You Loose. It almost seemed for a second that they were going into a different song. Maybe it was me, I don't know. Hey do you think it's possible that any recording of Angie and YCAGWYW could possible have picked up Micks vocals? I never heard the crowd that loud before. Yeah, it was another great show, but I do put it a notch below MSG. Maybe it was a combination of the set list and the seats that I had at Giants (Gerardo and I were up in the nose bleeds - but that's another story to share at another time). I'm tired. I'm sore. Gotta rest. You never know when your next show may be. Roseland? Hartford? hmmmm.
09-29-02 02:43 PM
scope
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
During last two songs, I moved down to the stairway rail of my section. Who do I see standing in the middle of the aisle with a look of ecstasy on his face? The Magic Man - Houdini - Voodoo Child IW himself, using part of his shoe as his imaginary microphone! Classic!

The Voodoo Child certainly does live up to his name. Did you notice how 1 minute he's there and the next minute ' poof' - gone? Gerardo you have left us with many fond memories of this event. My thanks to you, Jaxx and Gazza for maintaining this place and making this tour extra special for all of us. It was great to meet each and every one of the Rocks Off misfits. I love you all.

Scope
(we WILL do this again!)
09-29-02 03:05 PM
glencar What a great review by Riffhard! Finally someone else who was at the show I was at! I really dug "Undercover," "Monkey Man," & the ballads. The Hot Rocks at the end was well-done. And what about "Whip"? I was in the nosebleeds (Sec 327) & people up there stood the whole time. A warning for Hartford-bound folks: They can't stand up. I've never been so disappointed in a crowd as at that show. Horrid, just horrid.
09-29-02 03:05 PM
parmeda
quote:
Nitwit next to me yelled "play something we know" during Undercover. The law says you can't kill them.....

sirmoonie...
I think, from all of the reviews and stories that I've read so far...This one line that you said, has to be the most "classic"! Loved it... I can just imagine the look on your face when the guy said that. The bastard shouldn't have been allowed in the stadium...

Glad you had a great, memorable evening...but really, what did you expect? Anything less than that... Thanks moonie!
09-29-02 03:19 PM
glencar BTW That was the biggest group of drunks I've seen in a long time! It was mostly the younger fans who seemed blotto. I was taking a leak in one of the portapotties & some asshole started trying to knock over the neighboring one. Probably didn't ever hear "Undercover" before, either.
09-29-02 03:34 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy How was "You Can't Always Get What You Want"?

And why oh why don't they ever ever play "19th Nervous Breakdown", warhorse that it is?

Not that I'm complaining overall - a great setlist, even for a stadium!

-tSYX --- Undercover of the niiiiiiight....
09-29-02 03:41 PM
glencar YCAGWYW was marvelous. The crowd sang along. I hadn't heard it since early in the last tour so it was quite welcome. 19th Nervous Breakdown was on the previous tour.
09-29-02 03:48 PM
Boomhauer
quote:
glencar wrote:
What a great review by Riffhard! Finally someone else who was at the show I was at! I really dug "Undercover," "Monkey Man," & the ballads. The Hot Rocks at the end was well-done. And what about "Whip"? I was in the nosebleeds (Sec 327) & people up there stood the whole time. A warning for Hartford-bound folks: They can't stand up. I've never been so disappointed in a crowd as at that show. Horrid, just horrid.

I would have thought New York would have been the most pumped up crowd for the shows. Guess not.

Hopefully Mo-town is gonna be into it. They should; it's the fucking Stones.

[Edited by Boomhauer]
09-29-02 03:50 PM
Sir Stonesalot sirmoonie...

The proper response to the "Play something we know..." line is:

"Know what they play, asshole."

Just in case you ever get into that situation again.....
09-29-02 03:51 PM
BOBM I was at Gillette in the upper level, and it sucked. The crowd wasn't paying attention at all and the sound was terrible. At Giants Stadium it was just the opposite. I was also in an upper level seat. The sound was perfect and the entire crowd rocked like I've never seen before at a Stones concert. The upper deck was moving and I thought it was going to come down.
09-29-02 05:20 PM
Luxury "Know what they play" I love that SIR! Newbie here (Been a lurker for a while) I was with a chick who didn't know "Monkey Man". But she did know "Undercover". Should I call her again.....Hmmmm... 29,cute,short,Blonde and thin. SORRY! I answered my own question....
09-29-02 06:07 PM
Mr T my seats sucked - the upper tier. sound was bad - especially on the b stage & during the pretender's set. it wasa a kick ass show - I just wish I could've heard the guitars better. I could hear them well enough to hear all the mistakes they made - that was about it
09-29-02 06:15 PM
Luxury I agree Mr T, the "B" stage sound was horrible, We were in the back in the lower tier and the sound was VERY muffled. When the boys started playing "Miss You" I thought it sounded like "Harlem Shuffle" HOW BAD was that fucking sound?????
09-29-02 06:23 PM
Maxlugar Hey Moonie, I heard a better one.

In between songs and when the crowd was just catching their breath, some guys behind me yells out:

FREEJACK SUCKED!!!!!!!

I got really mad. Then I thought, he's right.

The crowd was WAY into it by me. People were dancing all over the place. If I had to dodge one more hot chick dancing in the aisle on the way back holding beers and pretzels I was gonna.......well....I guess I was gonna get a hard on.

Yup. An erection.

What a band those Rollin' Stones.
09-29-02 06:38 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
In between songs and when the crowd was just catching their breath, some guys behind me yells out:

FREEJACK SUCKED!!!!!!!

That's friggin' awesome.

I would have yelled that out if I'd thought of it.

Alas! I was too busy screaming for Ronnie!

All I got out of it was yelling at the Gubinatorial candidate supporters waving their signs in front of the Fleet on the way in. I think it was the guy I was sitting next to's supporters, actually. But I yelled "Yeah, your guy for Governor, Keith Richards for President!"

Those Stones... they make you do cah-rayyyyzy things.

So overall good concert, I take it? Who's hittin' Roseland?
09-29-02 08:40 PM
Mickjagger1963 I'm still speechless.... I was aroudn at the party too, I only saw Ken and Voodoo however, I was very impressed by Doug's and Shirleys party... great time. This show was so good, I couldnt believe it, I hardly remeber Brown Sugar, IORR, and SMUP. I was absolutley flabbergasted... My seat was awesome, sec. 110, Next show i aim to get on the floor, but for my first show, Ill take it. The stage B songs were killer....When the whip comes down was no expected at all. Sympathy's pyrotechnics and mick's vocals, keith's licks in between,. I thouhgt I had died and gone to heaven. Angie and YCAGWYW were a great change of mood in the middle of the show.. Good chance to finally get off my feet... (Notice I am not going in set list order becuase I am just remebering songs as they come to mind) Ronnie on Angie was a pleasent surprise sounded just a little different than I have every heard, and the trombone on YCAGWYW was just as good. Tumbling Dice was the best one ot dance to all night, and you can tell the Stones' pleasure as they played it. SFM, JJF, Honky Tonk, and Satisfaction to round out the show.... two words.... ROCK HEAVEN... I didnt think it was possible to have such a good concert, Ive seen many shows (non-stones) but this one blew any other away ten-fold. Keith can sing, I never thought of him having a great voice, but Slipping AWay was Rock and Roll beauty. Mick's vocals were on all night too, and I think I even heard his guitar contributing some good rythms on a few songs, Dont Stop, Undercover, etc. Speaking of Undercover, I was never a big fan , but live man, it kicked ass, I was screaming UNDERCOVER OF THE NIGHT!!! Do DODOODOODODODODDODODO woo!!! at the top of my lungs!!. I cant talk still right now, I will not let this be my last Stones show, I am savbing money already for the MSG Jan. shows. I would like the thank Doug, for being so hospitible to be all day, Ken, for buying my ticket, and everyone else who was there! Voodoo, you are a wonderful guy! Im glad you made it. Has everyone seen rs.com
??/ That is our tailgate party on the pics. Maybe there will be a video too soon.

Does anyone have a boot? I will pay/trade wahtever it takes to get it... I need a copy so I can relive it.

Thanks everyone..
ROCK ON!
09-29-02 09:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot I recorded Giant's. Don't know how it turned out yet. I know I missed the 1st verse of "happy". Stupid disc got jammed in the machine, and it took me a minute to get it out. I got jostled around a lot, and people were screaming and talking constantly...my hope is that the music was louder than they were.

I will let you all know how it turned out later.

Fore now it is off to bed...I have a 2pm appointment at Faces & Names with sirmoonie, and a 9:30pm appointment with Sir Mick & Co.

2 down, and 1 to go.
09-29-02 10:56 PM
Gimme Shelter Hey, I liked "Freejack".
09-29-02 11:05 PM
JaggaRichards When The Whip Comes Down was the best tune of the night!
SFM and JJF burned!
What a show!
09-29-02 11:20 PM
Gimme Shelter How was "Can't Turn You Loose"?
09-30-02 07:17 AM
JaggaRichards
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
How was "Can't Turn You Loose"?

Loved it! ICTYL is really getting better.
09-30-02 08:11 AM
glencar ICTYL was much improved over the Philly FUC version. It had a nice rhythm going again & Mick's vocal was much better.
09-30-02 11:57 AM
luxury1 Hey all--don't confuse me with Luxury, ok?? Anyway, HOward said all those people surrounding him were GS security--they had to bring him all around to his seat, and he said he felt like a big asshole, cuz they walked him through the entire stadium like that--he didn't know why they couldn't have gone in a different way, closer to his seat. And he loved the show--and so did I--best stadium show I ever attended!!--Now I am all depressed that it is over. This always happens to me. I got so close, they could sweat on me--and they sounded so fuckin tight. That's our band. Dance for me monkey boy. (ok, Max, you get the credit).
09-30-02 04:15 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Can't add more to that great review, just that since Friday I told many of you that I had a premonition and Keith set will be Slipping Away and Happy in that order, and guess what, I was 100% right.