ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Performing "Rock me baby" with Buddy Guy
Orpheum Theatre, Boston September 8, 2002
Scanned from IORR No. 45, photo by Kevin Mazur

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Don't Stop...has anyone in the UK heard it on the radio? Return to archive
09-28-02 02:34 PM
Scot Rocks I thought radio airplay was to begin at the end of August, I haven't heard Don't Stop once here, U2's pish new single i have heard, however no Stones. Not much advertising for 40 licks either as I thought there would be, a few adverts on VH1 late and a magazine cover and a few articles. Was in Vigin today and expected to see some kind of poster or something about 40 licks but nothing, most people I have talked to who actually like the Stones, know there is a greatest hits album coming out, however they no nothing about the new single or other new songs. What the hell is goin on!!!!!!!! Stones advertising in the UK sucks!!!!!!

Mark
09-28-02 02:43 PM
Boomhauer Where I live (Indiana) a local radio station just played Forty Licks in its entirety. It had comments for each song from the members. I think it was something of an advertisement, actually.

Well, DOn't Stop kicks ass. The only bad thing about Forty Licks (to me) is the cut off of the ending of IORR. That jam is the best part of the song!
[Edited by Boomhauer]
09-28-02 02:51 PM
RubyFriday Today I heard Don�t Stop for the 1st time here (germany)on the radio,sounded better than the downloaded.There was also today the 1st time a commercial for 40 Licks on TV.
[Edited by RubyFriday]
09-28-02 03:05 PM
Moonisup In holland there is lots of advertisement! It was yesterday released instead of monday, I've heard don't stop and there is a interview with Mick and Keith in the biggest dutch newspaper, the Telegraaf, 3 pages!

rik
09-28-02 04:45 PM
stonesmik Here in Switzerland I first heard "Don't stop" on the night 20/21 September on a local radio station but I don't know if it was a Swiss or a German station since I live just on the border. My little brother liked it not too bad. I already knew it before. Of course it was still better hearing "Don't stop" than most of the rest on the program that night: Phil Collins, "Murder on the dancefloor", etc etc
09-28-02 05:38 PM
Raging GOAT!!! If Goat always heard "Don't Stop" the channel changed. Hate it; embarrassing as vomit on the shirt. Puke-fucked. Because Goat love Stones, UH-HUH!
09-28-02 05:43 PM
full moon Learn to speak like an intelligent human being goatfuck...You are a 12 yr old douchebag...Go play with something sharp...
[Edited by full moon]
09-28-02 05:49 PM
stonesmik As sure as I adore a decent goat I gotta say if you can listen to the radio all day long but not bear "Don't stop" - then gimme dat frequency. I wanna tune in to that station too.
09-28-02 06:34 PM
Raging GOAT!!! Full moon can eat hairy goatsickle; whilemean, Goat don't listen to radio way too much for that. It won't.
09-28-02 06:56 PM
Boomhauer Well GOAT, I disagree. I think "DOn't Stop" is a very good tune.
09-28-02 08:30 PM
stonesmik How is a cow goat allowed to talk bull shit? If you don't listen to radio don't talk about it.

Beware. Only soup goat is good goat.
09-28-02 09:50 PM
Soldatti Here in Argentina, I heard "Don't Stop" 12 or 15 times (by day) in all the radios (from 10am to 12pm). The airplay is very big and is at the top of the chart in some radios and in the Top 40 in almost all.
09-30-02 04:52 AM
gypsymofo60 If I needed anymore evidence to show me that a country that prides itself with having it's fingers on the entertainment pulse was full of shit,( on that very score), this month has been it. In Australia there has been no talk, no previews, nothing concerning any new song, 40 licks, or the Australian tour dates. If they,(the media), were too busy with other rock songs/albums/artists, then OK! But they're not, they just aren't interested. So Scott, it aint just Britain ignoring The Stones, we have the same problem down here. A media, and a music industry that are again terrified of being seen as redundant should they so much as mention The Rolling Stones.
09-30-02 08:08 AM
fmk438j
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
If I needed anymore evidence to show me that a country that prides itself with having it's fingers on the entertainment pulse was full of shit,( on that very score), this month has been it. In Australia there has been no talk, no previews, nothing concerning any new song, 40 licks, or the Australian tour dates. If they,(the media), were too busy with other rock songs/albums/artists, then OK! But they're not, they just aren't interested. So Scott, it aint just Britain ignoring The Stones, we have the same problem down here. A media, and a music industry that are again terrified of being seen as redundant should they so much as mention The Rolling Stones.

It's been thin but there has been the odd story. One in the Sunday Telegraph that was pretty nice.

Keith said:

"...Heart of Stone. I remember the chick I was with that night, when it was written. She cut me. But I hadn't thought about it since, not until I started playing it here. I even remember her perfume."

Yeah, it's quiet. But realy, there's not a whole lot they can say just now, with our leg not luanched yet, there's not a great deal to report except what we have been seeing - a little about the US tour, a little about 40 licks and the odd word that they'll confirm in late October the 2003 dates.
09-30-02 08:17 AM
Maxlugar That fact that Raging Goat has a picture of a cow is the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

This man (animal?) is a genius!

It's the small things that always get me.

I wish I knew who Raging Goat is because I'd like the hug that person.

m.
09-30-02 08:31 AM
corgi37 Gypsy, i agree with you 100%. I have seen the tv ad for 40 licks once. One of our golden oldie stations had a stones week-end (Fox fm), but thats it. I havent heard dont stop on the radio. Is there a clip coming for it? We Aussies used to love rock, and now we have turned into a disco, teeny bop cuntry. U2's fucking new piece of sloppy shit has been all over the radio and tv. Elvis's new cd is the same. And that George Martin bastard is being interviewed this week as well. Oh, its not like the beatles are touring is it. Just more memories for the dags. It shits the hell out of me. 1 good thing though, i was at my newly opened pub/club on the weekend, and i think i managed to turn a 10 year old kid onto the stones. I impressed him with my 15 minute ramble about how good they are live and how hard they rock. His dad has some cd's of the stones, and the kid is going to listen to them. I should see him again on Friday, so i hope i've snagged another fan. Then the kid can go to school, and snag some more fans. heheheh, my evil plot continues. Gypsy, there was a full page interview with keith in last sundays herald sun, page 91. The tour is evidently very much on. I hear Colonial and Melbourne Park are the 2 venues. Tickets to go on sale in October. I bloody hope, anyway.
09-30-02 08:50 AM
stonedinaustralia hey, what station do you other australian dudes listen to - i'm a triple j man myself but i don't really expect to hear the new stones there - although you never know - they occasionally throw in the odd stones track (they played "rocks off" the other day) or something like "eileen" or "wicked as it seems" - keith is still cool, even with the alternative crowd

the thing is, i really don't care if they get airplay or if they sell many CD's or not... i used to be evangelical about them but not anymore - i dig 'em and that's enough for me and anyway, as this board attests, i'm certainly not alone in my stones fan freakdom
09-30-02 09:25 AM
fmk438j
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
hey, what station do you other australian dudes listen to -

I don't listen to music radio. All I like is stones. I know this isn't a healthy way to be, musically, but that's the way it is. I'd rather drive around in silence than listen to 99% of music radio. I listen to ABC radio.
Triple J I used to listen to. Heard Brown Sugar played on there too. I was really into it in 97/98. Remember when Custard were the coolest thing around? And Recovery was on abc TV on a Saturday morning? I loved it. I also loved Grinspoon, and seeing them on Recovery semi-regular was one of the highlights of my flacid youth.

Stones has consumed all my other musical interests. But I'll never be ashamed of what I once loved, Blink 182 included (pre and including Josie). I used to be heavily into Lagwagon also, but they're a bit more respectable I guess.

And fuck anyone that tries to tell me who I should and shouldn't like for X reason. That really shits me. Come on, try me! Anybody!

bit more info than was asked for, but we speak the same tongue, hopefully.
[Edited by fmk438j]
[Edited by fmk438j]
09-30-02 09:43 AM
L&A In Belgium, the national radio called "Radio 21" (french-speaking part of our small country) plays the complete 40 licks-album today. "Don't stop" was "most played song of the week" for 2 weeks ago...
09-30-02 01:09 PM
egon
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
In holland there is lots of advertisement! It was yesterday released instead of monday, I've heard don't stop and there is a interview with Mick and Keith in the biggest dutch newspaper, the Telegraaf, 3 pages!

rik

well F me. just ben in holland for the weekend.
didn't see the album anywhere, and did not buy the newspaper.

pants!
09-30-02 01:42 PM
stonesmik Well I don't look much TV but the day after the tour start the official German TV (ARD) had the Stones in their 8 PM news, they showed about a minute of "Street fighting man".
09-30-02 08:28 PM
Turner I periodically listen to the radio while driving and have heard Don't Stop only once here in Atlanta (Z-93)