ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Madison Square Garden, New York, NY - 13th September 2005
© and thanks to Sue
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Great future cover songs vote Return to archive
25th September 2007 02:18 PM
andrews27 I can't think of any now, but I'll be back after you've given me some inspiration.

It wouldn't kill them to resurrect Drift Away, despite the Kid Rock version. For the farewell tour?
[Edited by andrews27]
25th September 2007 02:23 PM
gimmekeef I thought Stones at Fenway..B Stage shoulda done the old Standells tune..."Dirty Water"....great riff and beat..plus the Boston your my town lyric.....
25th September 2007 03:13 PM
lotsajizz Highway To Hell
25th September 2007 03:33 PM
pdog
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Highway To Hell

No, no, no....

Master Of Puppets!
25th September 2007 03:44 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
I can't think of any now, but I'll be back after you've given me some inspiration.

Louie, Louie (Kingsmen version)
25th September 2007 04:06 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
pdog wrote:

No, no, no....

Master Of Puppets!

I doubt Blondie could pull that off. I always thought they could do a a ripping "alright now" by Free.
25th September 2007 05:45 PM
robpop La Bamba or War Pigs.
25th September 2007 06:00 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Rebel Rebel
Tush
Theme from Shaft
25th September 2007 06:23 PM
andrews27 Be serious, kiddies - this thread shows Eyes-Only potential for the Stones Ministry...

It's evident from Biggest Bang that the 3-slide version of "I Just Can't be Satisfied" should become a fixture next time around.

Meanwhile, numbers that originated as guitars-only, but have acquired piano and backing vocal clutter, should be dropped: Miss You, Tumbling Dice (which now sounds like a Doc Severinsen number), Honky Tonk Women.

Covers on this thread should reflect possible album tracks and likely stage duets with Lisa. Anything with parts for both Mick and Keith rates genius level.

For real, now --

Plus, in this lousy record industry, what's wrong with a truly old-fashioned Stones album? 10 tracks, 6 covers, 4 originals, with a guitars-foremost sound like Some Girls.
[Edited by andrews27]
25th September 2007 06:29 PM
Gimme Shelter Hot Legs
Got My Mojo Working
25th September 2007 06:40 PM
Throwaway
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
Be serious, kiddies - this thread shows Eyes-Only potential for the Stones Ministry...

It's evident from Biggest Bang that the 3-slide version of "I Just Can't be Satisfied" should become a fixture next time around.

Meanwhile, numbers that originated as guitars-only, but have acquired piano and backing vocal clutter, should be dropped: Miss You, Tumbling Dice (which now sounds like a Doc Severinsen number), Honky Tonk Women.

Covers on this thread should reflect possible album tracks and likely stage duets with Lisa. Anything with parts for both Mick and Keith rates genius level.

For real, now --

Plus, in this lousy record industry, what's wrong with a truly old-fashioned Stones album? 10 tracks, 6 covers, 4 originals, with a guitars-foremost sound like Some Girls.
[Edited by andrews27]

Keith don't play slide on that "I Can't Be Satisfied". But yes that song (and the similar BOMH) sound great. Agree on the album idea, if they choose and perform well on the right songs, the covers would be fine.

The Stones for their next tour should not have just 2 or 3 cover songs to rotate (Mr. Pitiful, Night Time, I'll Go Crazy..Ain't Too Proud doesnt count cause they did it before) for an entire tour..they need to do dozens.
I think the Turners "Baby Get It On" would rock though.
25th September 2007 06:44 PM
andrews27 Time for "Time is on My Side" to come back - if done since '81, not done enough. Requires Keith, not Lisa, on backing vocals - though all three would make trifecta.

Also "If You need Me," not heard for several guitar players. Lisa on this one, and done really hard, like they did on BBC a couple times with Brian on harmony vocal.

Coulda sworn I saw three slides going, for at least part of the Can't be Satisfied rehearsal. I'll double check.

[Edited by andrews27]
25th September 2007 09:43 PM
Nasty Habits Please also remember that with the notable exception of Bob Dylan the Stones do not cover songs by white people.

Given their penchant for paying tribute to recently dead or soon-to-be dying rhythm and blues icons in their tribute slot, and given that they have never ever done one before, I think it may be just about time to cover some goddamn Little Richard. For my own tempo type tastes, I would encourage "She's Got It" or "Heebie Jeebies" but they are, mayhap, too 1981. More likely choices would be "Directly from My Heart to You" or the magnificent "I Don't Know What You Got" on the Vee Jay label.

26th September 2007 02:07 AM
JOHNNYSTONED do ya- the move
waiting for the man-let keith sing it-ha ha ha
im yours, shes mine- johnny winter song- done at hyde park=
ronnie on slide.........
26th September 2007 02:13 AM
ShaneJazz My clear choice has always been Stay With Me by The Faces. Ronnie knows it well.....
26th September 2007 07:53 AM
andrews27
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Please also remember that with the notable exception of Bob Dylan the Stones do not cover songs by white people.

Maybe only songs recorded by black R & B artists, bur many were written by whites, incl. "Poison Ivy" and "Down Home Girl" (the latter their most racially tendentious song prior to BS). What about the country songs on the boots? Tom T. Hall's "We Had it All," several George Jones numbers, etc. I'm going to search the vaults for white covers, other than "I Wanna be your Man."
26th September 2007 08:00 AM
glencar Charlie Don't Surf (The Clash).
26th September 2007 08:57 AM
Nasty Habits You could start with Not Fade Away & Learning the Game, by Buddy Holly. It was a joke line, son!

But anyone who thinks they're going to cover a "classic rock" song is nuts.

"We Had It All" is Waylon Jennings.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
26th September 2007 09:20 AM
andrews27
quote:

"We Had It All" is Waylon Jennings.

Written by singer Tom T. Hall and Donnie Fritts from the Sam Peckinpah movies.
26th September 2007 09:42 AM
Nasty Habits How peculiar. Honky Tonk Heroes credits it to Donald Fritts and Troy Seals.

Would love to see the Tom T. Hall reference, as that's a new one on me, and I'm a big ol' Tom T. fan from this period.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
26th September 2007 09:45 AM
MikeyC613 "Almost Grown" - Chuck Berry

"Maggie's Farm" - Bob Dylan

"Dixie Chicken" - Little Feat

"The Wind Cries Mary" - Jimi Hendrix

"Get Rhythm" - Johnny Cash

i could see these working on stage
26th September 2007 10:46 AM
mrhipfl I walk the line - Johnny Cash

heartbreak hotel - Elvis Presley

born under a bad sign - Albert King

heard it through the grapevine - Marvin Gaye

Bring it on home to me - Sam Cooke
26th September 2007 10:49 AM
Jumacfly Mick did a fantastic cover of Foxy Lady in 1993...but his band was very very inspired with the fantastic Jimmy Rip on guitar...so forget this one with the Stones !!
26th September 2007 10:53 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Mick did a fantastic cover of Foxy Lady in 1993...but his band was very very inspired with the fantastic Jimmy Rip on guitar...so forget this one with the Stones !!

wasn't it Joe Satriani on guitar?
26th September 2007 11:05 AM
Throwaway I've seen a version of Foxy Lady with Beck and one (thanks Voodoo!) with Ripp on rhythm, Satch on lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voLm8yODe34
[Edited by Throwaway]
26th September 2007 11:26 PM
andrews27
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I walk the line - Johnny Cash

heartbreak hotel - Elvis Presley

born under a bad sign - Albert King

heard it through the grapevine - Marvin Gaye

Bring it on home to me - Sam Cooke

I was thinking that there might be something in the later Marvin Gaye catalog - "Let's get it on" as a Mick-Lisa duet?
27th September 2007 12:14 AM
M.O.W.A.T. People Get Ready

I Thank You

Everyday People
27th September 2007 12:32 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
andrews27 wrote:

I was thinking that there might be something in the later Marvin Gaye catalog - "Let's get it on" as a Mick-Lisa duet?

i had same thought too - sexual healing is an obvious choice
27th September 2007 09:39 AM
speedfreakjive Bye Bye Johnny
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)