ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Madison Square Garden, New York, NY - 13th September 2005
© and thanks to Sue
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith Guitar Strings in the early Days. Return to archive
23rd September 2007 11:14 AM
Iamthewalrus Is there any reference from Keith himself about which type or brand of strings he uses in the early sixties? Flatwound or Roundwound? Plain or Wound G?
23rd September 2007 09:04 PM
ketvos While I don't know what Keith used, some background about strings...

The selection of strings we know today did NOT exist back in the day. Heck, even in the early 70's replacement parts didn't exist like they do today.

In the 60's there we not as many brands as today AND not the string gauge selection. I'm not sure when 'light' gauge came out but I know that way back when 10's didn't exist.

Ok I don't know for sure, I was not there but from what I have read...
24th September 2007 08:55 AM
Iamthewalrus Thanks Ketvos.
Many people that play in the early Sixties in England, said that common Brand of strings were Cathedral, Fender, Gibson Sonomatics, Maxima, Monopole, Picato, Pyramid and Selmer, and that those were generally roundwound rather than Flatwound.
Also that the Light gauge set was .012-.052 in those days, (those are "heavy" for today standards)
25th September 2007 09:27 PM
ketvos
quote:
Iamthewalrus wrote:
... and that those were generally roundwound rather than Flatwound.

Shouldn't that be reversed? Rounds are normal currently and Flats are more 'ol school'
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)