ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Madison Square Garden, New York, NY - 13th September 2005
© and thanks to Sue
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best Stones Book? Return to archive
21st September 2007 10:50 AM
WhoBeNewB Hi! If you can believe it, I am a 35 yr old musician who has JUST turned on to the RS!!! I am now obsessed. Can anyone recommend the Best (in print) book about the Stones???

Thanx!

PS: My faves so far:

Flowers
...Request
Exile On Mainstreet
Goat's Head Soup
Tattoo You
Steel Wheels
21st September 2007 10:53 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl These

21st September 2007 10:57 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Since you're a musician then my recommendation is Nico Zentgraf's Bible as it is focused in the Stones work as musician including shows, rehearsals, studio sessions, guest appearances (live and studio), etc

Buy it NOW here http://www.nzentgraf.de/bookinfo.htm

21st September 2007 11:24 AM
glencar People seem to like that "According To The Rolling Stones" book...
21st September 2007 11:35 AM
Honky Tonk Man If it is just he music you are interested in reading about, then Complete Recording Sessions by Martin Elliot is a good informative read, but the ultimate has to be Rolling With The Stones by Bill Wyman. It’s an absolute tomb. Band history, tours, albums, trivia, it is THE book. Obviously it doesn't go beyond Bills stay with the band, but it’s a must own in my opinion.
21st September 2007 12:20 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
If it is just he music you are interested in reading about, then Complete Recording Sessions by Martin Elliot is a good informative read, but the ultimate has to be Rolling With The Stones by Bill Wyman. It’s an absolute tomb. Band history, tours, albums, trivia, it is THE book. Obviously it doesn't go beyond Bills stay with the band, but it’s a must own in my opinion.

I've got the same book of Bill Wyman's only called "Stone Alone" the best in my opinion, complete history up to the Hyde Park Concert, written by a man who keith Richards said has a memory like a computer.
21st September 2007 12:28 PM
Lord (Hetero) It really depends what you are looking for. Saucy stories or iron reliable session data. A bible that lists and critics every bootleg or a biography by someone from the Stonescamp.
The Greenfield book on the 72STP tour is a must, as is in a twisted way the Tony Sanchez book.
For raw data there are several really good books easy to find.
I have many Stonesbooks and have found that actually the best, most telling and reliable books were Marianne Faithful's bio and Mac's book "All the Rage".
As long as you steer clear of "Blown Away" and "Old Gods" you'll be fine.
21st September 2007 01:36 PM
GhostofBrianJones Up and Down with The Rolling Stones,
Rolling With the Stones
Stone Alone
Rip This Joint
Alan Crayson's book on each Stone and the group.
Gered Mankowitz's books (not I Contact it is too expensive)
According to The Stones
Off The Record
Unseen Archives
Early Stones
40X5
Rolling Stones Files
London Daily Mirror's book

I have a lot more but that is all I can remember right now.
21st September 2007 02:40 PM
texile welcome!
you're lucky -
i discovered the stones when i was 12....
and i think they stunted my emotional growth.

up and down/sanchez
stp/greenfield

these are essential...

21st September 2007 04:00 PM
WhoBeNewB Wow! Thanks guys! I'm going to start looking into these books. I think 1 solid band history & 1 sessions (live/recording) history will be a good place so start.

Thanks again!

Picked up 'Bigger Bang' today...can't wait to spin it!
23rd September 2007 11:07 AM
Iamthewalrus
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Since you're a musician then my recommendation is Nico Zentgraf's Bible as it is focused in the Stones work as musician including shows, rehearsals, studio sessions, guest appearances (live and studio), etc

Buy it NOW here http://www.nzentgraf.de/bookinfo.htm

Gulp! The Shipping is more expensive than the book itself.
23rd September 2007 12:05 PM
Riffhard The best book ever written about the Stones' Golden Age has got to be Stanley Booth's book, "The True Adventures of The Rolling Stones". This book chronicals Altamont and the 1969 tour better than any book I have ever read,and I've read most.

The Wyman book, while historically accurate, is an incredibly boring read.

Go here and read an excerpt from Booth's book. You will be ordering it straight away is my guess. It's a great book! I've read it at least three times.

Here-->http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/155...642#reader-link

Riffy
23rd September 2007 12:12 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Boring or not, that's what's ultimately important.
23rd September 2007 12:30 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Boring or not, that's what's ultimately important.

Textbooks are accurate too, but I wouldn't want to curl up with one. I just found Bill's book an incredibly tiresome read. He is a much better bass player than a writer. Have you ever read Stone Alone, TTM?

Riffy
23rd September 2007 03:52 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
The best book ever written about the Stones' Golden Age has got to be Stanley Booth's book, "The True Adventures of The Rolling Stones".

Agreed
23rd September 2007 03:55 PM
pdog
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Up and down with a statutory rapist...
23rd September 2007 04:03 PM
fireontheplatter i have one called, a life on the road.

it has awesome full page color photos in it

it cost me a crisp fiddy dolla bill from barns and noble. to ship it would probably cost 20 dollars.

i really like it tho..it has a picture of keith sitting on a stool with an acoustic guitar and a freshly lit red. and you all know how you feel about that.

go giants
23rd September 2007 04:56 PM
GhostofBrianJones May I suggest that even though you are a musician, you may want to read
about the Stones from their beginning up until the present. I have Gods
Almost Dead, Sympathy for the Devil, and since I am a BJ fan some BJ books.
But reading books on the Stones starts in 1962 and goes up to the present.
I have both of Bill's books. While he is meticulous, and as straightforward as
he can be I enjoyed both of his books.

There are many, many books on The Rolling Stones, and hopefully you will
find what you are looking for. I am still looking for Rolling Stones books.
I have In the Beginning by Bent Rej and 365 Days too.
[Edited by GhostofBrianJones]
23rd September 2007 06:45 PM
lotsajizz Booth's
23rd September 2007 06:49 PM
Honky Tonk Man Stone Alone may very well be boring, but lets not confuse it with Rolling With The Stones. I can spend hours with it just gazing at the pictures! It kind of reminds me a little of The Beatles Anthology book, only much much better.
23rd September 2007 07:43 PM
stonedinaustralia Spanish Tony's is the funniest

Has anyone read Greenfield's latest about the making of Exile??

I read the introduction in the book store and it looked like it might be good - after all STP was great
23rd September 2007 07:46 PM
Joey

' Old Gods Almost Dead ' is a visceral masterpiece and was No. 1 on the " New York Times " Best Seller list for an astonishing thirty - eight weeks .

Word . To your Great Great Grand Pappys .

J. " Pass the Biscuits Pappy " Fly !
23rd September 2007 07:51 PM
stonedinaustralia Hi Joey!!

you know Joey, I had no idea Heather was a hooker...no idea
24th September 2007 11:27 AM
pagey666.6
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

I read the introduction in the book store and it looked like it might be good - after all STP was great

I didn't think it was all that great...I bought it and was disaapointed....a lot of second hand stories that we have heard before, no real insight into making the album, plus a few factual errors. At one point, he makes fun of a couple of other authors for getting facts wrong, then soon after says that JJF was off Sticky Fingers....a mistake that he makes later on in the book. After I finished reading it, I felt pretty empty - like there was nothing that I really got out of the book. Maybe if you buy it used (I didn't) you'll feel better about it!!!

There was a thread here on RO about it, that I read before I bought the book.....it pretty much said it all....I should have listened to the reviews by the fans here!!!!

That said, there were a couple of interesting points in the book, just imo, not enough to justify the price. STP is an awesome read though....which makes sense, because he was actually there on the 72 tour, witnessed it all. With Exile he's going by quotes, intereviews and legend.
24th September 2007 01:08 PM
Joey
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
Hi Joey!!

Hello S.I.A.

Yes , HEATHER was a Hooker ( No Idea !! )

25th September 2007 05:14 AM
EELPIE
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
Hi Joey!!

25th September 2007 07:52 AM
glencar
quote:
Joey wrote:

' Old Gods Almost Dead ' is a visceral masterpiece and was No. 1 on the " New York Times " Best Seller list for an astonishing thirty - eight weeks .

Word . To your Great Great Grand Pappys .

J. " Pass the Biscuits Pappy " Fly !

Hmm, you are quite Pelosian in your use of statistics!
25th September 2007 10:59 PM
texile
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
Spanish Tony's is the funniest

like pagey666, i was dissapointed with the greenfield book...
i have waited for a sequel of sorts because stp is my favorite stones book,
but it's just retread of evry other stones book.
he seemed to really THERE in stp, but exile read like a patched-together second-hand account.
don't bother.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)