ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks Throbby
Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA - October 1st, 2005
© 2005 Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What Makes The Stones "The Stones?" Return to archive
September 29th, 2005 08:48 PM
jcdesq Technically speaking, no member of the Rolling Stones is a virtuoso musician (save Mick Taylor--the vibrato still cries!). In fact, one could say that the best instrument in the Stones is Jagger's voice. I know Keith has his own style, Charlie is rock steady, Ronnie's guitar is raunchy and Bill's bass lines are more than competant, but many bands boast a bigger sound and more skilled musicians.

For me, it has always been the sloppiness, and the wonderful way, when the band is together, that they get it together and function as a unit. When they hit their stride, the sum of the parts is extraordinary. It is a real, flawed, yet beautiful music that almost defies description. Often great art is like that--it is not perfect at first glance, but somehow it moves you in the most wonderful ways.

I thought of the Stones when I was at the Van Gogh exhibit in Amsterdam. His paintings, when viewed up close, may seem a bit rough, but the textures are amazing, and, in my opinion, his work, taken as a whole, just blows your mind. How could man create something this great?

Sometimes, especially when I am listening to albums like Exile, Sticky, Some Girls, etc., I get the same feeling from the Stones. Their great songs, taken as a whole, are just staggering. What a fucking band.

Anyway, I highly recommend listening to the end of "When the Whip Comes Down." Check it out, check it out, check it out, yeah! Concentrate on Keith's guitar and Charlie's drumming. It is orgasmic. I was listening to this tune the other day when I was raping my neighbor's dog. The music moved me so much, that I didn't care that her car was pulling in the driveway. I knew, that I would not be caught. I could not be caught. The Stones wouldn't let me, and South Carolina's crack legal system wouldn't care.
September 29th, 2005 09:30 PM
stonedinaustralia not sure how you judge some-one to be a virtuoso drummer - but however you do it i'm quite sure charlie fits the bill

indeed, given his jazz chops charlie is actually "slumming it" in a way by playing in a rock and roll band

and keith is a "virtuoso" guitarist in my view - his sense of rythym is without peer - also he has a complete handle on a number of styles - rock and roll - chuck berry style and his own (which is of course a style imitated but never equalled by many others - hello black crowes) , stax soul stylings, country and blues - what else is he expected to do - if the opening bars to CYHMK are not the work of a virtuoso well then i guess i just don't know

i think a lot of people confuse the term "virtuoso" with some notion of "can play lots of notes really fast"
September 29th, 2005 09:32 PM
The Volitan What makes the Stones great can be defined in 1 word....Attitude. Whether the opinion is agreed upon or not, they think they are the greatest
September 29th, 2005 09:55 PM
Riffhard What a refreshing post from you jcdesq! Really. Good post.

I think what makes the Stones the Stones comes down to two things. One is the piss and vinegar riffing from Keef. His innate sense of rythym is just brilliant. Human Riff indeed. The guy bleeds the riffs!

The other is what my good friend Maxlugar likes to refer to as "The Drive" It's just that total chugg chugg chugging of the riffs combinded with a never miss drummer with swing,and some very well placed bass lines. Add the greatest frontman ever to the mix,and that my friend is "The Drive"! There is not one band that has ever come close to capturing that spirit of pure rock and roll adrenalin. As you mentioned listen to Whip. That is "The Drive" in it's purest form.

"The Riff" and "The Drive"=The Stones

Riffy

September 29th, 2005 09:59 PM
pdog Riffy... You said it all...
It's not about being a viruoso, it's about loving to play rock and roll. They love it more! And it shows!
September 29th, 2005 10:17 PM
Riffhard
quote:
pdog wrote:
Riffy... You said it all...
It's not about being a viruoso, it's about loving to play rock and roll. They love it more! And it shows!

Pdog the Stones have brought us together even though we are politcally on opposite sides of the ailse! Is there nothing this band can't do?! NO! No,there is nothing that this band can't do!

Please tell Macky and friends that I miss them all,and I want to be written into the movie dealio! 'Kay?

Riffy-Future Movie Star!
September 29th, 2005 10:29 PM
jcdesq I love the negros! I love the city!
September 30th, 2005 01:12 AM
texile what makes the stones the stones....
soul - when they mean it...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)