ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks Throbby
Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA - October 1st, 2005
© 2005 Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How will weak sales effect the Stones? Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 28th, 2005 02:18 PM
Egbert
quote:
jb wrote:

Really......that's a bit of a strech imo...

Trim the last 3 down to 10 songs each and I really do think they would stack up against IORR and B&B on a musical level. Not on an inspiration level though - going back to Steel Wheels everything's been rehashed over and over again.

That being said, would I repurchase any of the Stones' CDs from Steels Wheels on if my apartment caught fire? Probably not - I'd go one past TY and stop at Undercover.
September 28th, 2005 02:20 PM
time is on my side
quote:
jb wrote:
Kayne west has sold 1.5 million albums in the US alone!!!! The Stones have not hit that figure worldwide!!!

Please read my post. I was talking about two weeks of sales from the TIME the STONES entered the charts as number one.
September 28th, 2005 02:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Why would any label want to drop an act that is number one in the world for two consecutive weeks???<

Because they want an act that will be #1 in the world for 8 consecutive weeks.

>Why would any record company consider dropping an act (any act) that is already in platinum status (more than a million sold) after only a few weeks on the charts???<

Because they want an act that is triple platinum after only 2 weeks on the charts.

>During a given year, how many acts do you think have the possibility of achieving that??<

Lots of rap and hip hop artists do it.

What the record industry wants is another Jagged Little Pill or Frampton Comes Alive or Titanic soundtrack. They don't give a shit about any album that only sells 2.5 million world wide. I think that you underestimate the greed that infests major record labels today.
September 28th, 2005 03:07 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>Why would any label want to drop an act that is number one in the world for two consecutive weeks???<

Because they want an act that will be #1 in the world for 8 consecutive weeks.

>Why would any record company consider dropping an act (any act) that is already in platinum status (more than a million sold) after only a few weeks on the charts???<

Because they want an act that is triple platinum after only 2 weeks on the charts.

>During a given year, how many acts do you think have the possibility of achieving that??<

Lots of rap and hip hop artists do it.

What the record industry wants is another Jagged Little Pill or Frampton Comes Alive or Titanic soundtrack. They don't give a shit about any album that only sells 2.5 million world wide. I think that you underestimate the greed that infests major record labels today.

(1) Actually, one of the hip hop artist, Kayne West, was outsold by the STONES after spending only one week on the top of the world charts. The STONES have been on top for two weeks; KAYNE West spent only one week there.

(2) Kayne West didn't go triple platinum after two weeks. Also, if one looks over the world charts for this week and for the entire year of 2004, 3 million plus for an entire year seems to be a very good figure even when compared to hip hop artist whose main popularity appears to be in the U.S. not worldwide. It will get you close to the top 20 for the entire year. Also, the figure mentioned, 2.5, million would have gotten you #36 for 2004. I think most record companies would be happy with those numbers since that means there are only 35 artist in the entire world who would have higher sale figures.

It's my guess that being #36 in the top 50 charts won't get you dropped by a record company but I could be wrong because there is a lot of greed out there.

(3) The rest I agree with.

[Edited by time is on my side]
September 28th, 2005 03:38 PM
Sir Stonesalot Who mentioned anything about Kanye West?

That guy is a relatively minor player in hip hop. He don't mean shit.

Put the Stones sales up against 50 Cent or Emimem or Ludacris's last album.

It just goes to show how far the importance of rock and roll has fallen.

September 28th, 2005 03:44 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

And it can't get up!
September 28th, 2005 03:46 PM
Joey " And it can't get up! "

September 28th, 2005 03:48 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Who mentioned anything about Kanye West?

Agree with this point totally. Hip hop is the current king when it comes to record sales. No question about that. Rock and roll's impact on record sales has noticably declined in recent years and will probably continue to do so in the coming years. It's the cycle of musical taste.

My point with the STONES is their overall worldwide sales are pretty good. They're 60 year old rockers who've been number 1 in the world for the past two weeks. They obviously can't compete on overall sales with the hip hop artist you mentioned but they can make a very respectable showing. I think they might wind up in the top 25 or top 20 for the year. What's wrong with that???

September 28th, 2005 03:50 PM
the good
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Who mentioned anything about Kanye West?

Green Day seems to be doing well these days. I don't know if you call that R&R though.
September 28th, 2005 04:51 PM
Some Guy
quote:
jb wrote:
Kayne west has sold 1.5 million albums in the US alone!!!! The Stones have not hit that figure worldwide!!!

That new Kanye West song is hot.
September 28th, 2005 05:06 PM
LeedsLungs71 Isn't hip hop/rap and the Stones entirely different markets?
September 28th, 2005 05:36 PM
time is on my side
quote:
the good wrote:

Green Day seems to be doing well these days. I don't know if you call that R&R though.

I would definitely call Green Day Rock N Rock- worldwide American Idiot has sold over 13 million records. While Coldplay is debatable, let's also throw them in the mix (their latest has already sold over 8 million worldwide). These artist can definitely compete with any hip hop artist when it comes to overall sales. The STONES currently have been #1 for the past two weeks selling more albums, CD's than anybody in the entire world for those two weeks.

All this points in the direction that there still is a market; it just isn't as dominating as it once was. The cycle of musical taste has changed over TIME.

September 28th, 2005 07:39 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Dan wrote:

I don't think you understand the music business at all. JB is right. They are one step away from the corndog circuit, if not total obscurity. All real Stones fans must buy at least 3 copies of A Bigger Bang to spare us the total humiliation of a flop album and getting dropped by the record label.

ROTFLMAO!! You're kidding here right Dan? I don't understand the music business? Uhh,hmm,...Dan I am in the music business! I have been for over twenty three years now! I also know more than a few record reps,and I can assure you that every one of them would give their eye teeth to sign the Stones. It ain't about record sales with the Stones. It's about the cache' in the recording business. They do,in fact,still move a hell of alot of their previous records as well. The "big four" still sell very well considering their age. Likewise,the Stones have many greatest hits packages that still move very well. Not to mention the future potential of rareities,B-sides,previously unrealeased material. The list goes on and on,but one thing is sure the Stones will NEVER get dropped period. There will always be a market for them,and a label like Virgin would be commiting label suicide if they even considered dropping them. The only way that Virgin looses the Stones is if another label offers Mick and Co. more cash.

Corndog circut? You must be high. Acts on the corndog circut don't sell out Giants Stadium,or Madison Square Garden,and every other arena worldwide consistantly. No,there is only one act in the world that can do that,and that is obviously the Stones. I gotta think you are pulling everyone's leg here?

You're pretty funny. I'll give you that.

Riffhard
September 28th, 2005 08:30 PM
pavlovs dog
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

I dont think Between the Buttons or Emotional Rescue moved to many units this year.
[Edited by corgi37]

I actually bought two copies of Emotional Rescue this year. I bought the 1st, thought I lost it and ran right over to circuit city and bought another. I later found the original and gave to my 6 yr old son. An awesome album.
The Stones are into me this year between CDs,merch and the Hartford show for about 2 grand
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)