ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks Throbby
Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA - October 1st, 2005
© 2005 Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bon Jovi Bashers Unite - new CD Out! Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 27th, 2005 08:33 AM
UGot2Rollme review courtesy of jam.canoe.ca

HAVE A NICE DAY

A bad 'Day'

By DARRYL STERDAN -- Winnipeg Sun

We could say a lot of things about Bon Jovi's Have a Nice Day. We could say it has a perfect title -- a phrase every bit as shallow and uninspired as the songs that go with it.

We could suggest that these aging hair farmers' 11th album is just another batch of soundalike, cliche-laden arena-rock anthems aimed at suburbanites, secretaries and soccer moms.

We could argue that if most of these tunes sound familiar, it's no wonder: When they aren't rewriting their own hits, Bon Jovi are borrowing from U2, John Mellencamp, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger and even Sam Cooke.

We could say that lyrically, things are even more dire. We could note that it seems Jon believes using the word "life" as often as possible -- as in "Why you wanna tell me how to live my life?" or "I'm gonna live, I'm gonna survive" or "This is your life" or "You watch your whole life pass you by" or "If all we got is us then life's worth living" or "This is the story of my life" -- qualifies as deeply personal and meaningful songcraft.

Or we could argue that perhaps he's just not trying anymore -- a conclusion that seems likely given the superficiality of the title cut and other bumper-sticker slogan-songs like Welcome to Wherever You Are.

We could even recommend some titles for their next albums: You Don't Have to Be Crazy to Work Here (But it Helps), My Other Car is a BMW, and If You Lived Here You'd Be Home Now.

But we won't bother saying any of those things -- because there's really no point. No matter what we say, the secretaries and soccer moms will continue to gaze at Jon's picture, sigh and pretend he's singing to them. And the men in their lives will continue to roll their eyes and find something to do in the garage until the CD is over. And as long as that arrangement works, everybody can have a nice day.

Or, as Jon would say, a nice life.

September 27th, 2005 08:41 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
We could say a lot of things about Bon Jovi's Have a Nice Day. We could say it has a perfect title -- a phrase every bit as shallow and uninspired as the songs that go with it.

JBJ has never in his life written anything decent. And never in his life he will.
September 27th, 2005 09:19 AM
Luke Skywalker 666 In my opinion, theres no reason to bash Bon Jovi. Because he's always been lame and the lame cheesiness is part of his style. Bashing Bon Jovi is like bashing 80's mall chicks with big hair. We all know the style is lame. But lame people do need lame music so Bon Jovi is providing his service of bad taste for people who need it.
September 27th, 2005 10:31 AM
Saint Sway the New England Journal of Medicine recently did a study on Bon Jovi and found that for every single record he sells he sprouts another chest hair.

which is why he always stipulates in his contract rider that the venue provide a team of stylists and NASA technicians to blow dry his chest hair.
September 27th, 2005 10:33 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
which is why he always stipulates in his contract rider that the venue provide a team of stylists and NASA technicians to blow dry his chest hair.

Now *that* would justify obscenely high ticket prices!
September 27th, 2005 11:07 AM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

JBJ has never in his life written anything decent. And never in his life he will.

Back when I was 22 I actually liked "Livin on a Prayer" and a few years ago they had a song called "It's My {ahem} Life" that wasn't all that bad, but for the most part I've always thought their music was just one notch above the drivel released by the likes of Warrent. I suppose the only difference between the bands really is just that JBJ is prettier than Jani Lane.

But nowadays, if I hear "Whoa, we're halfway there.." one more time, I'm gonna scream!!!!!!!!!!
September 27th, 2005 11:21 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Cool link for all closet JBJ fans.
http://www.backstagejbj.com/index2.html
September 27th, 2005 11:34 AM
Honky Tonk Man Bon Jovi are undoubtedly rubbish, but along with Brian Adam's Summer Of '69, Livin' On A Prayer is an absolute anthem.
September 27th, 2005 02:31 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Livin' On A Prayer is an absolute anthem.

yes, it is...for c**ts.

September 27th, 2005 02:32 PM
Joey

I just barfed !!!!!

September 27th, 2005 02:34 PM
Nellcote He makes a nice living for an ex-hairdresser, from a long line of hairdressers.
Sambora's got a gem of a wife as well..
September 27th, 2005 03:08 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Bon Jovi are undoubtedly rubbish, but along with Brian Adam's Summer Of '69, Livin' On A Prayer is an absolute anthem.

you crack me up!
September 27th, 2005 04:16 PM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Bon Jovi are undoubtedly rubbish, but along with Brian Adam's Summer Of '69, Livin' On A Prayer is an absolute anthem.

Bryan Adams can stick that first real six string up his wazoo for all I care. I hate that f**kin song.

Livin' On A Prayer = Diabetic Siezure
Summer of 69 = Carnival Freak Crazy Postal Worker Breakdown
September 27th, 2005 07:21 PM
Soldatti I like their second and third album (kill me), I hate all the rest.
September 27th, 2005 08:04 PM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I like their second and third album (kill me),

Since you insist....

September 27th, 2005 09:34 PM
Soldatti
September 27th, 2005 09:46 PM
winter
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
but along with Brian Adam's Summer Of '69, Livin' On A Prayer is an absolute anthem.

This could be the funniest post I have ever read. LOL HTM, you had me there for a minute.

Wow, that was a good one.
September 28th, 2005 01:47 AM
JumpinJackFlash Bryan Adams can stick that first real six string up his wazoo for all I care. I hate that f**kin song.

LOL, This is Fuckin funny. Is that the one he bought at the 5 and Dime, the one he played till his fingers bled? LOL
September 28th, 2005 03:36 AM
Honky Tonk Man Yes, I was trying to be humorous. I'm glad everyone found my little Bon Jovi joke funny, but come on, is the below not a great song?

Summer Of '69

I got my first real six string
Bought it at the five and dime
Played it til my fingers bled
Was the summer of '69

Me and some guys from school
Had a band and we tried real hard
Jimmy quit and Jody got married
I shoulda known we'd never get far
But when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Ya - I'd always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life

Ain't no use in complainin'
When you got a job to do
Spent my evenin's down at the drive-in
And that's when I met you - ya

Standin' on your mama's porch
You told me that you'd wait forever
Oh and when you held my hand
I knew that it was now or never
Back in the summer of '69

Man we were killin' time
We were young and restless
We needed to unwind
I guess nothin' can last forever - forever, no...

And now the times are changin'
Look at everything that's come and gone
Sometimes when I play that old six string
I think about ya'n wonder what went wrong

Standin' on your mama's porch
You told me it would last forever
Oh the way you held my hand
I knew that it was now or never

Back in the summer of '69

September 28th, 2005 03:39 AM
Voodoo Scrounge No

Unless you are on a dancefloor at 2.30am having drunk your bodyweight in lager
September 28th, 2005 03:43 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Unless you are on a dancefloor at 2.30am having drunk your bodyweight in lager

Yep, that's when I like the songs!
September 28th, 2005 03:47 AM
Voodoo Scrounge The problem I have with Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams is that their music shows no real progression and they are always trying to recreate Livin on a prayer and 69.
September 28th, 2005 04:32 AM
caro
NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 23: Jon Bon Jovi of Bon Jovi blows a kiss to audience member Gazza from Belfast during the Toyota Concert Series on the "Today" show September 23, 2005 in New York City. (Photo by Paul Hawthorne/Getty Images)
September 28th, 2005 04:45 AM
egon what i don't understand:
the summer of 69, that was the summer of love right?

and what is brian doing? standing on some f'in porch,
holding a chick's hand.

I guess he missed the bus to woodstock.

Still, he IS my aunt's neighbour. they say "hi"
to each other every now and then when they walk the dogs.
September 28th, 2005 04:55 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
egon wrote:
what i don't understand:
the summer of 69, that was the summer of love right?

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
September 28th, 2005 08:33 AM
thedevilhimself who is bon jovi? and why are you talking about him.
September 28th, 2005 08:45 AM
Gazza the title of the thread should tell you why

we like to mock the afflicted....
September 28th, 2005 08:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Yes, I was trying to be humorous. I'm glad everyone found my little Bon Jovi joke funny,

methinks thou doth protest too much, Alex

To quote the greatest songwriter of our time :
"I dont believe you/you're a liar.."

;-)
September 28th, 2005 08:53 AM
egon
quote:
thedevilhimself wrote:
who is bon jovi? and why are you talking about him.

bon jovi is the band that pushes ABB from it's 1st position
(without any effort)
September 28th, 2005 09:31 AM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
egon wrote:

bon jovi is the band that pushes ABB from it's 1st position
(without any effort)

... or talent!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)