ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks Throbby
Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA - October 1st, 2005
© 2005 Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: We want Chuck Berry! Return to archive
September 26th, 2005 09:32 PM
LeedsLungs71 Dear Mick/Keef:

Now that you have delivered on Sway, I have another request:

Bring back some Chuck Berry into the setlist! Give us a dose of Carol, Sweet Little Sixteen, Little Queenie, Let It Rock, Bye Bye Johnny - I don't care which one you play just play one!

All your greatest tours: 69, 72, 73, 78 all had some Chuck Berry covers!

Thanks!

LeedsLungs71
September 26th, 2005 09:34 PM
pavlovs dog
quote:
LeedsLungs71 wrote:
Dear Mick/Keef:

Now that you have delivered on Sway, I have another request:

Bring back some Chuck Berry into the setlist! Give us a dose of Carol, Sweet Little Sixteen, Little Queenie, Let It Rock, Bye Bye Johnny - I don't care which one you play just play one!

All your greatest tours: 69, 72, 73, 78 all had some Chuck Berry covers!

Thanks!

LeedsLungs71

I agree 100%.

I'd also love to see them do Around and Around in a small club setting
September 26th, 2005 09:44 PM
West 8 I disagree. Been there ,done that. Their covers are smoking this tour with Ray Charles,Bob Marley etc.. If your gonna add a few more #'s, then more from ABB. If you're not an oldies act then show it.

PS: but if you must go to your back cataloug then please play Winter & Moonlight Mile LOL
September 26th, 2005 09:48 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr.
quote:
Their covers are smoking this tour with Ray Charles,Bob Marley etc..

Well, I for one like Chuck Berry more than "Ray Charles,Bob Marley etc.." Would love to see "Roll Over Beethoven" or "Let It Rock" or "Little Queenie."
September 26th, 2005 09:51 PM
LeedsLungs71
quote:
West 8 wrote:
I disagree. Been there ,done that. Their covers are smoking this tour with Ray Charles,Bob Marley etc..

I do like the Night Time cover...however...

The Stones were never big disciples of Ray Charles....I think Mick is cashing in on the popularity of "Ray" the movie and figuring that the stadium/arena audience will be able to connect with Ray.

Van Morrison was more the Ray Charles disciple. Van has covered Ray since he started out with THEM in the early 60s. The Stones are direct descendants of Chuck Berry and I think they should still be paying homage to their roots.

September 26th, 2005 11:01 PM
exile What was the Bob Marley cover?
Is there an mp3?

I have never heard the stones cover Bob Marley...wow.
September 26th, 2005 11:48 PM
Brainbell Jangler Bob Marley cover: "Get Up, Stand Up"
http://s63.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1RJWCJ87WMX5Z17CJM3B4JD1M9
September 27th, 2005 04:59 AM
kmc how about a cover that rocks?

"get up, stand up" goes nowhere in concert. i'm like to see a chuck number too.

ps how about chuck as an opening act. give him 45 minutes. he'll have people listening, not wandering the arena halls and checking their cell phones.
September 27th, 2005 05:01 AM
Nellcote You probably won't see any Chuck Berry in the near future.
Chuck's longtime piano player, Johnnie Johnson, filed a lawsuit against Chuck several years ago, claiming he co-wrote several of Chuck's hits. While it was probably true, Johnson lost the case. Johnson was assisted in thes effort by none other than one Keith Richards. Johnson passed away last year. There is no love lost between Richards & Berry. You will recall there were no Berry tunes played during the Licks tour. I could have missed some of the detail on the case here, however, hopeful others will assist, or Google is a great tool.
September 27th, 2005 02:44 PM
Gazza "Little Queenie" on the b-stage was, for me, the undisputed highlight of the BTB tour

A Chuck song at any Stones show is always a welcome addition. I'd like to see a return for "Let it Rock" but my personal 'dream' for a live performance is for a b-stage rendition of "You Cant Catch Me", a Chuck song that they covered wonderfully in 1965 and which theyve still never played in concert
September 27th, 2005 02:56 PM
Saint Sway covering his songs is all fun and all but I'd love to see them bring Chuck Berry out onstage with them!!!

with the album being called Bigger Bang - as a reference to how it all began - I think they should of used that as an excuse to take out some of their influences on the road with them to open the shows.

to hell with Black Eyed Peas, Alanis and Maroon 5. Stones should be paying back their respects and have Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Buddy Guy, Little Richard, BB King, Taj Mahal etc as the opening acts. And then bring that guest out for a spotlighted cover. Its a great tie in and a great tribute.
September 27th, 2005 03:02 PM
LeedsLungs71
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

to hell with Black Eyed Peas, Alanis and Maroon 5. Stones should be paying back their respects and have Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Buddy Guy, Little Richard, BB King, Taj Mahal etc as the opening acts. And then bring that guest out for a spotlighted cover. Its a great tie in and a great tribute.

SS, Now you're talkin'....exactly what the Stones could do on the next leg of the tour.
September 27th, 2005 03:03 PM
Nellcote If wishes & buts were candy & nuts it would be Christmas every day.
While it would be a great homage to the past,
it would kill Keith to play anything which would result
in a royalty payment to Chuck Berry.
Especially as he's not been shy of noting he found Johnnie Johnson driving a bus in St. Louis in his later years,
to make ends meet, while Berry got all the loot.
I think when Keith introduced him at the HOF dinner, he noted this fact.
I think you've got a better chance of seeing Bo Diddley again onstage than Chuck, unless Keith can be promised to lay him a quick hard smack to the face as payback..

September 27th, 2005 04:41 PM
winter
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
If wishes & buts were candy & nuts it would be Christmas every day.
While it would be a great homage to the past,
it would kill Keith to play anything which would result
in a royalty payment to Chuck Berry.
Especially as he's not been shy of noting he found Johnnie Johnson driving a bus in St. Louis in his later years,
to make ends meet, while Berry got all the loot.
I think when Keith introduced him at the HOF dinner, he noted this fact.
I think you've got a better chance of seeing Bo Diddley again onstage than Chuck, unless Keith can be promised to lay him a quick hard smack to the face as payback..

word, the man knows what he is talking about

wintah
September 27th, 2005 11:00 PM
HellsRollingThunder Where did you get the idea that Keith Richards and Chuck Berry
are not friends? I did not know that. I know when Johnny Johnson died last year in St Louis Keith came to see him and
Chuck came as well. But I did not know they were not friends.
My friend Calvin Marsala's brother Jimmy Marsala has been with
Chuck Berry since 1973 as his bass player. I will tell Calvin that
people still want to see Chuck. I know Cal still talks to Jimmy.
I had been under the impression when Johnny Johnson died
that he and Chuck were friends but did not know any more than
that. This is all news to me. Interesting. I suspect Chuck is not
the easiest person to work with. Right now I am working on seeing
if Calvin will ask Jimmy if he is going to see the Stones in January.
If he is maybe he can get Cal backstage to meet the guys. But I
don't know, maybe we can go too, who knows. I am sure Jimmy
has met the Stones many time I would think not sure though.
This oughta be good. Oh well we'll see.
September 27th, 2005 11:03 PM
Nellcote Are you talking about Marvin Berry?
September 28th, 2005 03:04 AM
padre And while we're at it: why the hell Hail Hail Rock'n'Roll is still unreleased on DVD?
September 28th, 2005 03:19 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I too would like to see the stones play a bit of Chuck Berry. However, I did enjooy Love Train on the licks tour. A real breath of fresh air. It was a song that I didnt think I would hear the stones play and really enjoyed it when they did.
I dont think I will get the same feeling from a Bob Marley Cover
September 28th, 2005 08:18 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff I would like to heard Talkin' bout you
I need more Chuck Berry because his music is the engine of rock' n ' roll and rock'n ' roll is the heart of the Rolling Stones
yeah
Fabio
ciao Gazza!
September 28th, 2005 08:28 AM
egon
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Johnson was assisted in thes effort by none other than one Keith Richards.

interesting. in what way?
September 28th, 2005 08:46 AM
Nellcote www.chuckberry.de/archive_october2002.htm

Chuck Berry Royalties Case Thrown Out By Judge

Wed Oct 23, 4:57 PM ET
(10/23/02, 4 p.m. ET) -

A federal judge has dismissed a royalties lawsuit against legendary rocker Chuck Berry
by his former bandmate pianist Johnnie Johnson. U.S. District Judge Donald Stohr of
St. Louis ruled that too many years had passed since the more than 30 songs in
dispute were written.

Johnson sued Berry in November 2000, claiming he was owed royalties because he co-wrote
many of Berry's biggest hits from 1955-1966, including "Roll Over Beethoven,"
"No Particular Place To Go," and "Sweet Little Sixteen." Johnson also claims to be
the "Johnny" that inspired the rousing song "Johnny B. Goode." Because Berry copyrighted
all of the songs in his name alone, Johnson received none of the royalty payments.

Berry's attorney Martin Green said Berry, 76, has no hard feelings toward Johnson, 77.
"He likes him very much, considers him a friend, and expects to play with him in the future,"
Green said. "He doesn't blame Johnnie for the lawsuit. He blames some of Johnson's advisers,"
he added. Specifically, Green said, Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones and blues legend
Bo Diddley (news) recommended Johnson pursue the lawsuit, St. Louis Today reports.

Under the federal Copyright Act, the statue of limitations to seek royalty claims is
normally three years. Johnson's attorney Mitch Margo claims his client was so muddled
by years of excessive alcohol abuse, he was incapable of understanding he had a right
to the decades of royalty payments Berry was collecting.

In his 19-page order dismissing the case, Stohr said that he was "unpersuaded" that
Johnson was not competent to recognize his rights. He also threw out Berry's own
challenge to Johnson's trademark of the phrase "The Father Of Rock And Roll."

--Sue Falco, New York

September 28th, 2005 08:57 AM
egon cheers buddy. NYC, Jan 06: You SHALL be greeted!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)