ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The tour is over folks!!
From Kalingrad with love... Thanks Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: No good shit anymore Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
09-23-03 09:53 AM
Sir Stonesalot Was I just talking to myself back there corgi?

I coulda swore I said pretty much the same things except for the part where I said that I actually LIKE this trend.

I for one hope that my 7 year old son is wearing a White Stripes shirt in 10 years time.

I'm very well aware of what the British Invasion was. And the Beatles, originators or not, were marketed to the US buying public as a "British Invasion" band. They had no sustained logevity. And what about bands like The Who and The Kinks and the Yardbirds? They were certainly "British Invasion" bands, yet by your logic we should simply dismiss them since they were just a trend? Grunge? Pearl Jam still packs arenas. Piles of musicians that came out of the "grunge trend" are still selling gazillions of albums and making pretty decent music...Dave Grohl comes to mind.

My point is that the music industry has ALWAYS been about trends. Some are shit, like hair metal, some are not, like "garage" or whatever it's called. I don't understand the concept of dismissing something simply because it is considered trendy or hot. I mean, that's like going to a local high school football game and rooting for the away team just because everyone else is rooting for the home team.

I certainly don't mind it if folks don't like the Stripes. I can understand why people would not care for that kind of raw, stripped to the bone kind of sound. They are an aquired taste that not everyone can aquire. And purposely so. But Corgi, it seems that your only gripe with them is that they are trendy. No offense, but that seems like a pretty small reason to dismiss a bunch of nifty little bands.

Like I said before, there are no more Rolling Stones out there. I really doubt that there ever will be another band like the Stones. But I still find new bands to enjoy all the same. I don't care if a band gives me one album or 40 albums, if they get on MTV or not, or if Spin and Rolling Stone write about them or not...I know what I like when I hear it. I simply don't care if it is a trend or not.

When you boil it down, there are two kinds of music only...good, and not good. Where you classify the White Stripes is your own decision, but you owe it to yourself to judge them on the merits(or lack thereof)of the music, not by what other people call a "trend". Have you listened...I mean REALLY listened, unbiased...to the White Stripes? Have you heard Jack's lyrics? The guy is a gifted songwriter...and he will be making music for many years to come.
09-23-03 10:24 AM
jb I believe U2 is the biggest threat to the Stones in terms of longevity and popularity...they seem to have learned a lot from the Stones regarding marketing , touring, etc(it doesn't help that Cohl is involved with both )....I think U2 was elevated to "greatness" as they are about the only 80's band that has survived and a lot of us who went to college in the 80's(sans me) really love them....
09-24-03 05:45 PM
Joey " I believe U2 is the biggest threat to the Stones in terms of longevity and popularity...they seem to have learned a lot from the Stones regarding marketing , touring, etc(it doesn't help that Cohl is involved with both ).... "

Agreed !!!

U2 was smart enough to learn that all you have to do is get a Jew Manager and you will skyrocket !
09-24-03 09:35 PM
gypsy I believe jb is the biggest idiot on this board...threatened only by joey.
09-25-03 06:50 AM
corgi37 this is all giving me a headache. I havent made myself clear. What i meant to say didnt come out right. I'll just wait for the new dvd set and shut up for a while.
09-25-03 12:42 PM
Factory Girl jb and joey have become Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis of Rocks Off...I'm not sure that is a good thing. :EEK
09-25-03 12:44 PM
Factory Girl Furthermore, I listened TO Kings of Leon & BRMC on my lunch hour. Both sound pretty good, but I don't know if I will immerse myself in either band.
09-25-03 12:50 PM
jb THAT WAS QUITE NASTY GYPSY...
And FG, who is Dean and who is Jerry?
09-25-03 12:55 PM
Joey " THAT WAS QUITE NASTY GYPSY...
And FG, who is Dean and who is Jerry? "

I pray to GOD I am Martin !!!!!!

Developing ....................

Shivering ........................

" When oh when will the Stones tour the states again Ronnie ? "

J. Sea Scroll !

09-25-03 01:11 PM
Factory Girl Dean & Jerry

Lucy & Ethel

Curly & Moe

Jackie Gleason

George Burns

Bob Hope

John Ritter & Suzanne Sommers (aka Chrissy Snow). I see Joey as Chrissy.
09-25-03 01:41 PM
sirmoonie "Hire more goyim guards down gitmo way, Ronald!"
09-25-03 03:16 PM
Cardinal Fang Factory Girl said it best, "Lucy & Ethyl" (Seriously !!!)

I hope you are OK and back to normal now ?

Speaking of Kings Of Leon, did you happen to read Syph and I's posts about them over at Gasland by chance ?

I think we are going to go see them live this Saturday in S.F. right after we see SheRat's band play at a festival that afternoon.

Definetly "Lucy & Ethyl". Only I don't think they get it !!

Less is more, quality vs quantity, etc.

Take care.

Later, Cardinal Fang
09-25-03 03:24 PM
Factory Girl Hey, CF! Yep, jb& joey are "Lucy &Ethel"...lol.

Recovery from the hurricane is slow.

Have fun at the Kings of Leon with Syphy!! I did see his passionate post about KOL...lol.

KOL (to me) sound like a cross btwn BCrowes& Stones. And, the BC always tried to sound like the Stones, and ended up a great Led Zep cover band...lol.

09-25-03 03:26 PM
jb Yes, they had an interesting article about the KOL in last months GQ....they look like the product of some serious "in breeding" but they do love the Stones.
09-25-03 04:36 PM
Joey

Josh ..................................

Do you think the Stones will ever experience " Papering the House " ?!?!?!?!

What ?!?!?!?! Oh , sure ....Here ya go :

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~78~1641120,00.html

Snarky !
09-25-03 04:47 PM
gypsy Yes, that was quite nasty...didn't mean for it to 'sound' like that...I was joking.
You two are the Mary & Rhoda of the board.
09-25-03 04:51 PM
Joey " Yes, that was quite nasty...didn't mean for it to 'sound' like that...I was joking.
You two are the Mary & Rhoda of the board. "

..............{ Edited By the Joey } ..................

" Under my skin it stays ; like a pleasurable rash Ronnie "

D. J.
09-25-03 04:57 PM
sirmoonie I pulled my groin muscle drinking last night.
09-25-03 05:03 PM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
I pulled my groin muscle drinking last night.

OK, I'll bite, How the fuck did that happen Sirmoonie ???

:-)

(when are you coming back to NorCal ????)

Later, Jimmy

P.S. Factory Girl is CORRECT. Joey & Josh ARE "Lucy & Ethyl"
09-25-03 05:06 PM
sirmoonie From drinking.

November! And I will let you and SheRa and P know. Like to meet yins, brews, tunes, the whole deal.
09-25-03 05:12 PM
Cardinal Fang COOL !!!!!!!

We are so there !!!

Later, JW
09-26-03 12:01 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Cardinal Fang wrote:
P.S. Factory Girl is CORRECT. Joey & Josh ARE "Lucy & Ethyl"

Hey! Knock off the references to my relatives - Fred and Ethel Mertz are my mythical TV grandparents.

jb and joey are like the Marx Brothers - Gummo and Zeppo.

"I'm not funny, but I AM Jewish, Ronnie!"
09-26-03 11:09 AM
Sir Stonesalot Check this out, and tell me that someone "very very average" could write something like this:

Hand Springs (Jack White)

I took my girl to go bowling
Downtown at the Red Door
After an argument I started
Because I didn't think she liked me anymore

I can't help it
But sometimes I feel pitiful
And of course
She's so young and beautiful

I bought two glasses of coke
Because that's her favorite
And I wanted to make up for earlier