ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The tour is over folks!!
From Kalingrad with love... Thanks Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: No good shit anymore Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
09-19-03 09:44 AM
Joey

Word to All of Your Mothers !

The " WHITE STRIPES " Rock baby !

" Fleabit Peanut Monkey and Paul Williams are the same person Ronnie "

Jercee !

09-19-03 10:20 AM
jb My son thinks he is black...
09-19-03 10:29 AM
steel driving hammer Wasn't Jesus black?
09-19-03 10:35 AM
jb Greek.
09-19-03 10:39 AM
Joey Jesus was Jewish but later converted to the " Muslum's " .

Josh , did you take your children to see Steely Dan ?????

Was your secretary copacetic with that one ?????

" Put on my High Heel Sneakers Ronnie "

Jercee Joe !

09-19-03 01:23 PM
jb No Joey...the last concert i went to with my kids was "The Backstreet Boys" a few years ago....Recently, my 10 year old son, who seems to think he is black, went with my ex-brother-in-law and his daughter to see 50 cents...He seems to repeat a line about it being a "G" thing quite often...
09-19-03 01:50 PM
macawber the white stripes are a very,very average band.
the reason there is so much buzz around them is
because of the desperation out there to hear something,anything that resembles actual music.

this kid learns how to make a guitar feed back
a little bit and before you know it people are
acting as if they released fucking physical graffiti.

the biggest dumbasses-a tie between record companies and
people who know better pretending crap music isn't crap
to make themselves look "with it".
in other words,if you're over 25 and "trying to get into" say..the new limp bizkit cd,you're an idiot.
09-19-03 01:52 PM
jb 100% correct macawber....it's very embarrassing to say the least...that's why I don't even watch MTV or VH1 for that matter...
09-19-03 01:57 PM
Joey " He seems to repeat a line about it being a "G" thing quite often... "

Word Up G !

" Same ol' G Ronnie "

{{{ G }}}}
09-19-03 02:06 PM
sirmoonie Manilow vs. Vinton?

09-19-03 02:08 PM
Joey Manilow vs. Vinton?

LBJ vs . Nixon ?
09-19-03 02:10 PM
jb Tony Orlando vs. Dawn?
09-19-03 02:11 PM
sirmoonie Coe vs. Ovett?

Duran vs. Leonard?

Ease cose vs. Wes cose?
09-19-03 02:43 PM
macawber jb-your son has an excuse,he's a ten year old.

the definition of a poser-50 cent wearing a bulletproof
vest at a photo shoot.

"yo,i been shot nine times ya'll'

ok,sure pal but i gotta think-
1:it wasn't a very big gun
or they would've buried you in pieces
2:your neighborhood is tough but it's not iraq,get over it.
09-20-03 12:56 AM
Sir Stonesalot I can't fuckin' believe some of the shit on this thread.

The White Stripes "very very average"????

Lemme guess dude. You are one of those guys who thinks that you have to be some kind of virtuoso to make rock and roll.

WRONG.

You just gotta mean it man. If the song hits me in the crotch...gets my pulse rate up...THAT is what counts with me. For me, rock music should be played on the ragged edge...teetering on the brink of the abyss. That's what will keep me coming back. Pretty guitar solos are just that...for me, that isn't a big requirement. Virtuosity does not inspire me. If it did, I'd be a big Rush fan....and I'd certainly not be diggin' the Stones.

Whatever.

Country music is better off now than rock???

Have you SEEN or HEARD what passes for country music these days????

It's fucking worse than any boy band or gangsta rapper on this or any other planet.

Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Keith Urban, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Martina McBride, Sara Evans, Rascal Flats, Montgomery Gentry, Trick Pony...good GOD! This stuff is just AWFUL. Fucking unlistenable tripe. My wife eats that shit up with a spoon. She even tried to infect my son. I fixed that by taking him to see the Stones.

No offense MB, but Dolly Parton has very very very little to do with country music today. Most everyone else you mentioned is DEAD. Hank Jr.??? Eeeeeeeeeeewwwwww. His daddy would NEVER get done slapping him! Hank 3 is good because he sound like his grandpappy. Talent definately skipped a generation in that family.

No country is in as bad a condition, if not worse off, than rock today.

And it's all because of the big record corporations. The same record companies that are trying to kill rock, are also trying to kill country.

It's a travesty.

Fuck Sony. Fuck EMI.

My fave new record lable name...I Used To Fuck People Like You In Prison Records. I did not make that up.

But you know....it is not all bleak. There IS good music being made out there. You just gotta seek it out. It's there to be had. In fact, 2003 has been a banner year so far, IMO.

Stripes, Kings of Leon, Bowie, Neil, BRMC, Nick Cave, Johnny Cash, Frank Black, Steve Wynn, Warren Zevon, not to mention a new one from Joe Strummer coming soon, and the new Elvis Costello next week! OK, none of that gets played on the radio....but who gives a fuck? I haven't listened to the radio in 10 years! Who needs it!

Rock and Roll isn't dead. Not even close. Get hip to the trip. You can get it whenever you want it....it just requires a little effort on your part. Man, is it worth it.

09-20-03 07:26 AM
corgi37 Yeah, country is shit. Always has been, right back to the days of "Send them niggers north". There is a reason "Country" sounds like a ladies rude part. Country was ruined by conservatives and big bucks. Country was about the land and the working man, then it was about rhinetones, and big boobs and perfect teethed Canadian sheilas. After country, rock was next. I just cant take any one seriously who wears a fucking stetson and has a moustache. Man, moustaches just dont rock (except Charlies nifty little one circa 66). But really, Sir Stonesalot, the White Stripes? Man, do you honestly believe they will be around in 2 years? They are a trend. Just like the Vines, Hives and the other "back to basics" white rockers. Its white boy answering the rap shit. It's middle class honky crap, dressed up to look alternative. Its Guns and Roses vs Prince. It's an executives idea on how to combat black influence. I dont mind some of their stuff from Elephant, but its really just a diversion. Its corporate rock which ever way you look at it. But instead of wearing a Gucci suit, it's some fucker wearing a cool 70's t-shirt from bands i guess they never even heard of before they got their record contracts. Like Aguliera (who WILL be my skanky ho wife one day) wearing a stones t-shirt, or Avril Lasagna wearing a CB-GB t-shirt. I mean, come the fuck on!!!! It just white college pretend-rock. It will be out of fashion before you can fart and some thing else will take its place. And then the guitars will go back into storage for another 5 years or so.
09-20-03 08:23 AM
steel driving hammer Kicking back singing Hmmm....

Have a great weekend everyone and Joey you were right about the Cardinals loosing on purpose etc, made for good converstation at TGIF last night.
09-20-03 11:00 AM
Sir Stonesalot Well corgiboy, opinions are like assholes...we all got one.

I know that the first time I heard Jack Whites guitar I immediately perked my ears up and took notice. Say what you like, but this is a cat of different spots. An "average" band could never ever come up with something like "Ball & Biscuit" or "Girl, You Have No Faith In Medicine".

Will the White Stripes be around in 2 years...sure they will. I give 'em 3 more albums before they are done. You have to understand, a duo can only take things so far. I believe Jack and Meg will take it as far as it can go. They WILL hit the wall, it is inevitable with the style they play. But IMO that is a GOOD thing. Like when the Pixies broke up. They went as far as it should have gone. I'd bet the same thing will happen with the Stripes.

Corgi...hasn't rock music ALWAYS been about trends? If you are saying that there are no new Rolling Stones out there, well no shit. The Stones are a once in a lifetime thing. But seriously, if you look at the history of rock n roll, it is chock full of really cool bands that were just "trends". The Beach Boys were a trend(Surf music). The Beatles were a trend(British Invasion). T-Rex was a trend(Glam). The Sex Pistols were a trend(Punk). Talking Heads were a trend(New Wave). Nirvana was a trend(Grunge). So what?!? Just because something is trendy doesn't mean that it isn't worthwhile. I happen to be a middle class white boy. I happen to like this current "trend". This trend is based on loud, nasty guitar, played ferociously. Sorry, I can't see anything wrong with that. I like the Hives. I like the White Stripes. I like the Vines. I like the Kings Of Leon. Will they ever be one of the immortal rock bands...no. But I'll dig 'em while they are here.
09-20-03 12:05 PM
Boomy Fucking shit!!!

I just got back from the record store and got the new Bowie (pretty damn good), BRMC, and the Sympathy remix (yes, I slagged it, but bought it).

Fucking White Stripes are great because they are talented, gosh damn it!!!
09-20-03 01:07 PM
caro
quote:
Mother baby wrote:

Yeah loads of them. For me I like Dolly Parton or at least some of it...but I like her as a person a whole lot more. So alot of her songs I will listen to just out of respect even though they don't really turn me on that much....
George Jones is allright. Cash and June Carter of course. The Mavericks, Hank & Jr. I haven't heard much from Hank Williams 3, Willie, but we'll see...he following a tough act. We'll see, I think with the passing of Johnny Cash, the dice have been rolled again, its a new era now.

Thanks for advice. I'll check out Dolly Parton : I've always been scared off by the cover pics on her albums, which I admit is stupid..

Does anyone have an advice or opinion on Ryan Adams? I've only heard a real nice cover of Brown Sugar he did with Beth Orton... Are his albums any good?
09-21-03 06:03 AM
beer [quote]corgi37 wrote:
But really, Sir Stonesalot, the White Stripes? Man, do you honestly believe they will be around in 2 years? They are a trend. Just like the Vines, Hives and the other "back to basics" white rockers. Its white boy answering the rap shit. It's middle class honky crap, dressed up to look alternative. Its Guns and Roses vs Prince. It's an executives idea on how to combat black influence. I dont mind some of their stuff from Elephant, but its really just a diversion. Its corporate rock which ever way you look at it. But instead of wearing a Gucci suit, it's some fucker wearing a cool 70's t-shirt from bands i guess they never even heard of before they got their record contracts.

Welllllll, what do you mean by "be around in 2 years"? are you asking if they will be on MTV or in rolling stone magazine in 2 years? Neither of those things have anything at all to do with rock and roll. absolutely nothing.

Will Jack White be making music in 2 years? i would almost garauntee it.

Publications/media/etc will always try to pigeonhole music into certain catagories. whether its grunge or garage or whatever title they will try to label it as.

Just look at it this way: There are a few bands who have a sincere respect for the blues. they are making down and dirty rock and roll. they are talented. they play their hearts out, live.
Don't you think that that is a GIANT step in the right direction????
09-21-03 05:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Just look at it this way: There are a few bands who have a sincere respect for the blues. they are making down and dirty rock and roll. they are talented. they play their hearts out, live.
Don't you think that that is a GIANT step in the right direction????<

Yes. Yes I do think that it is a giant step in the right direction.

09-21-03 05:44 PM
Boomy Hey, did you hear Bowie's new album? Pretty good stuff.
09-21-03 05:50 PM
steel driving hammer I never got into Bowie much, he's too Gay for me.
09-21-03 05:55 PM
Boomy AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHA!!!

WTF!!!
09-21-03 07:47 PM
Prodigal Son Too gay for SDH? That ain't no excuse. Didn't he once say he'd like to fuck Mick? I do recall something like that. Anyway, the White Stripes aren't the greatest ever but I really respect and admire them. They are anything but a fad, a trend, another corporate rock tool. In fact, they're smart enough to change their ways if some record execs tried to create clones of them. Reading interviews with them, I know they aren't as lame as other rock bands. They're not looking for radio play like Nickelback who's succeeding in turning rock radio into an even bigger waste.
You don't have to love them, but at least acknowledge they aren't a bad band that's just another lousy rock trend. They're a welcome rarity in today's scene.
09-21-03 08:02 PM
Boomy Prodigal Son..........waz up my Canadian, pimp-jack, scatta tat tat friend???

We need something like the White Stripes to balance out the music industry, which is heavy on hip-hop, r&b (now, where is rhythm in this...and where the fuck are the BLUES??), techno pop stuff, the Donnas, Limp Bizkit, Nickelback, and everything else.
09-21-03 09:21 PM
steel driving hammer Yes, if Mick and I happend to be alone in a room together, I'd do anything he asked me, except murder and in that vain.

I have so much respect for that guy it's incredible.
09-23-03 08:40 AM
corgi37 I love you guys. I do. But i just cant see the fascination with the white stripes. I dont hate them either, i just dont think much of them. I dont see them as a saviour. I see them as a short term thing. Now, SDH, the Beatles werent a trend. they started it. Same with the Stones, Led Zep, Nirvana, Creedance, Neil Young, The Who. They were originators. The British Invasion was full of very diversifed bands, linked by only being British. Remember grunge? The connection and change there was not just Seattle, but every fucking band sounded more or less the same. My point is this. The white stripes are in a current fashion cycle that is simply grunge part 2. Hey, it beats techno/rap, but its just a cycle, same as all the boy & girl bands were just a couple of years ago. Just as Spice Girls, All Saints, Five all died in the ass, so will the Vines, Hives and yes, the white stripes. Why? Cause they are probably unable to change. Especially the white stripes. I give them 1 more record, maybe. In 2 years, the world will move on to another fad. Being only 2 of them, how do they adapt? Recruit more members, change their sound, thus not being the White stripes? How many original grunge bands survive? Or, more to the point, how many fill arenas, have record contracts and make the charts? The original theme of this thread was that music now is shit. And it is. What the white stripes do, has been done before, by about 4 generations by my guess. At least our boys were REALLY original.
09-23-03 08:49 AM
corgi37 what i mean is, like these bands by all means, just dont buy shares in them. oh, and dont forget, when grunge/punk part 3 is deemed cool enough to resurface in about 10 years, some fucker who is about 8 now, will be given an old white stripes t shirt to wear in his preas kit release photo shoot. no doubt taken in a dingy lane, abandoned building covered in graffiti, looking suitably scruffy, serious and sporting "just right" tussled hair.
Page: 1 2 3