ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The tour is over folks!!
From Kalingrad with love... Thanks Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: No good shit anymore Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
09-18-03 04:32 PM
Mother baby "Rock n roll" has lost most of it's steam. There's nowhere to go. Country actually has more talented artists these days. And I would go as far as to say that there's more real rock n roll in country music now than in "rock".

09-18-03 04:45 PM
caro Ha! That means you know some good country artists!

Could you give me some names? I'm slowly trying to check out the old stuff, but don't know anything new apart from Sheryl Crow, I think (and I'm not really interested in her stuff)
09-18-03 04:50 PM
steel driving hammer Word To Your Mother Baby!

Most good music are on small record labels.

I like a good mixture of %60 Rock and Roll, %20 Blues and %20 Raw Country.

There is a GREAT radio station just 20 miles from my kitchen.

Have a listen, they really play some great music.

www.wwhp.com
09-18-03 05:03 PM
Mother baby
quote:
caro wrote:
Ha! That means you know some good country artists!

Yeah loads of them. For me I like Dolly Parton or at least some of it...but I like her as a person a whole lot more. So alot of her songs I will listen to just out of respect even though they don't really turn me on that much....
George Jones is allright. Cash and June Carter of course. The Mavericks, Hank & Jr. I haven't heard much from Hank Williams 3, Willie, but we'll see...he following a tough act. We'll see, I think with the passing of Johnny Cash, the dice have been rolled again, its a new era now.
09-18-03 05:03 PM
Joey

Word to Your Mother !!!!!!!!

Please buy " The Dan's " new disc and thank me later .

It WILL WIN the Grammy for " Album of the Year " just like the boys's last album won it in 2001 .

Word UP G !!!!

Spanky !

09-18-03 05:05 PM
Mother baby
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Most good music are on small record labels.

Yeah,...I'd bet my life on it. I just wish I had the time and money to chase it all down.
09-18-03 05:23 PM
trevcourt The Kings of Leon new CD is the best thing I've heard in a long time. Try it.
09-18-03 05:25 PM
macawber truth is- you're 100% correct,its over and it ain't coming back.young kids don't even listen to rock anymore,they listen to rap and r&b so theres no one at home listening to say.. jeff beck and practicing guitar.they are rapping along with eminem.

if you do hear what is passed off as a rock band whats the first thing that comes to mind....

THE FUCKERS CAN'T PLAY !!!!

as far as i can tell rock fell apart during the early 90's-when those grunge bands went there was nobody to come up behind them.you want music...i suggest raggae or blues
09-18-03 06:53 PM
Miss U. Steelie, who is that in your avatar? Not much to hang those tongues on.
09-18-03 08:09 PM
Boomy I think that genres like rap-metal and "anger rock" have really put a black eye on what rock is all about. Why do these guys have to scream into the microphone?? Just sing, damn it. Put some melodic feeling into the music; don't crap on it, don't talk about your dad not coming to your little league games and how you were "disturbed" by it, and DON'T call it rock n' roll, you pisshack penisflappers!

However, I can't stop listening to "Elephant"!!!! This is what rock n' roll is all about!!!
09-18-03 08:13 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Miss U. wrote:
Steelie, who is that in your avatar? Not much to hang those tongues on.

09-18-03 08:28 PM
Boomy I guess that's from some anniversary party for "Scarface".

Supposedly it's going to be re-released on DVD with extra shiznits. Also, some rappers just released an album dedicated to the movie.
09-18-03 08:36 PM
steel driving hammer Boomy I wanna give a shot out to all my Homies!

All My Homies from Wyomings too!

Hey, you know I haven't even gotten around to checking out that Elephant disc! Thats my type of shit too my brother!

Been caught up too much w/ www.wwhp.com

You are my Homie From Wyoming! LMFOL!
09-18-03 08:38 PM
Boomy Yes. The White Stripes album "Elephant" is graced with raunchy and clever guitar hooks, solos, and all of the goods. For just two people playing it's fanfuckingtastic.

"Oh girl, you have no faith in medicine!!!"

I will also pick up the Stones new disc, "Monkey", later tonight at Best Buy.

For the holidays I will send jb the new "Let It Be" album that will come out. He will love it.
09-18-03 08:44 PM
steel driving hammer Hey pick me up a 47' Plasma TV for my bedroom while your there My Brother!
09-18-03 08:50 PM
Boomy I have friends that work at Best Buy. It's kinda hard for them to hook me up with a Flat Planel TV, though.

Shit, I would love to get a new Plasma tv and the new Stones DVD set the same day and just say, "Fuck everything!"

Although, jb has said that he has a plasma tv and he says he has 6 guest rooms at his house. I say "ASS Gathering" in Boca. When the Stones go back to Miami and surrounding areas, it will happen!
09-18-03 09:18 PM
Boomy Steelie, remember this song from a couple years ago? I just thought about it again and laughed my ass off.

Afroman - Because I Got High

It's like, I don't care about nothin' man,
Roll another blunt, Yea (ohh ohh ohh)

La da da da da da la, da daaa,
La da da da, la da da da, la da da daaa

I was gonna clean my room until I got high
I gonna get up and find the broom but then I got high
My room is still messed up and I know why (why man) yeah hey
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high

(La da da da da da da da da)

I was gonna go to class before I got high
I coulda cheated and I coulda passed but I got high
I am taking it next semester and I know why (why man) yeah hey
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high

I was gonna go to work but then I got high
I just got a new promotion but I got high
Now I'm selling dope and I know why (why man) yeah hey
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high

I was gonna go to court before I got high
I was gonna pay my child support but then I got high
They took my whole paycheck and I know why (why man) yeah hey
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high

I wasn't gonna run from the cops but I was high
I was gonna pull right over and stop but I was high
Now I am a paraplegic and I know why (why man) yeah hey
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high

I was gonna pay my car note until I got high
I was gonna gamble on the boat but then I got high
Now the tow truck is pulling away and I know why (why man) yeah hey
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high

I was gonna make love to you but then I got high
I was gonna eat yo ~ too but then I got high
Now I'm ~ off and I know why (why man) yeah hey
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high

I messed up my entire life because I got high
I lost my kids and wife because I got high
Now I'm sleeping on the sidewalk and I know why (why man) yeah hey
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high

I'm gonna stop singing this song because I'm high
I'm singing this whole thing wrong because I'm high
And if I dont sell one copy I know why (why man) yeah hey
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high
'Cos I got high

La da da da da da...

09-18-03 09:48 PM
sammy davis jr. Steely Dan 'aint Rock n' Roll.... More like lounge music.
09-18-03 09:51 PM
glencar Bands don't get a chance to develop these days. They might come out with one monster CD & then the next one sinks like a lead zeppelin & then they break up. And then the record companies balme me for downloading mp3s.
09-18-03 10:42 PM
Phog I've gotta agree with BOOM that "Elephant" is a thing of beauty. The new Frank Black is sweet, too.
09-18-03 10:58 PM
Fiji Joe "you pisshack penisflappers!"

Tell it like it tis Boomy...Fiji wanna have yo baby

As sad as it is to say, Rock disappeared with the "hair bands" of the late 80 who, say what you want, still had to be talented musicians to get a label

I get more enjoyment from my 60 year old Leadbelly records than just about any of the horse crap out there today

Real Slim Shady? I wanna kick that little pussy's ass...Mama said knock you out
09-18-03 11:06 PM
Prodigal Son Listen to "Reeling in the Years" and tell me that doesn't rock, Sammy. Anyway, as for rock, the groups today are all awful. There's four types I hate; angst-ridden ock, pointless angry metal, nauseating punk-rock and rap-rock. All of it is as shallow, shameless and attempting to cash in as rock has ever been. Punk is now another terrible sub-genre. It's been pumped full of bubblegum values and terrible AM-like melodies. Not one big, popular artist gets my attention except maybe the White Stripes. I wish there was more of that type of music. Jack White is awesome. People make too much out of his guitar skills saying he's the best ever, one of the, blah blah. No, he ain't. He's just damn good in a Ron Asheston (of the Stooges) or Joe Strummer way.
09-18-03 11:22 PM
sammy davis jr. OK- OLD Steely Dan rocks.....I actually liked them until Aja. Loved Pretzel Logic and Katy Lied back in the day. There are some good rock bands out there, you just have to find 'em. Labels only want "sure things" anymore- and unfortunately their idea of a "sure thing" usually sucks. The record industry has gone to shit anyway, and I for one, couldn't be happier. The more the major labels suffer, the better. The little labels are the ones releasing anything decent, unfortunately, they're often owned by one of the majors.
09-19-03 01:38 AM
Prodigal Son I know there are some great bands out there, I just mentioned the popular ones. There's great stuff being made. If only the big record companies would toss out the trashy bands who are basically clones of each other. There's lousy bands that get contracts more than great bands because record companies think they can mold the crap into marketable radio sound-alikes. Personally, I have no sympathy for all the "losses" of sales they've had based on downloading. If they were smart, they'd have capitalized on it long ago and stopped ramming 20 dollar CDs down our fucking throats. Some chains give great prices, but the labels produce CDs less expensively than it took for vinyl and cassette yet charge more. So, obviously they make more money. Can't they afford to go back to pre-CD levels? Greedy bastards. Start packaging some great acts and ones that matter to real music and they'll find new success. Then again, a trend will come along that they'll clone to death until it gets overdone.
Yes, Steely Dan rocked until Aja where they toned it down to more jazzy ambient settings which I still love, but I prefer Pretzel Logic and Can't Buy a Thrill.
09-19-03 02:22 AM
hotlicks You could always try The Darkness LOL
09-19-03 05:31 AM
TomL Go see Bowie this tour.
09-19-03 07:20 AM
Maxlugar [quote]sammy davis jr. wrote:
Steely Dan 'aint Rock n' Roll.... More like lounge music.

Yeah, if that lounge is in The Man Hole down in the Village.

{{{{CA-RACKO!!!}}}}

Skills? I got 'em.
09-19-03 07:30 AM
JaggerLips
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:

NO AL SHAVE IT OFF !!! PLEASE THIS HAS TO BE FOR A FILM !! I DON'T LIKE AL WITH A BEARD!
Yes folks I am a huge Al Pacino fan and I fancy him just as much as I do Sir Mick Jagger!
Please Al shave it off you don't look as sexy with a beard!
09-19-03 09:00 AM
corgi37 In a few years, when the zombie holocaust is in full swing, mankind (us) will rue the day we let rock die. Why? Cause their will be no power. No electricity. No power means, no jerk working a turntable and telling gullible fuckers "this is MY music, when he's putting on a couple of "yeah, uh huh, mother-fucker" on top of a 70's beat, made by some one else. Yes, we will pay. Sitting alone in the dark, drinking warm home made beer, because no one will know how to play percussion, or piano, or acoustic guitar or stand-up bass, or saxa-ma-phone, or even a harmonica. So there will be no music. Truly, the living will envy the dead.It's all your fault, fellow Rocks Offers. And mine. Because we didnt try hard enough. We didnt get our little brothers and sisters and brain wash them enough. We didnt convert enough friends. Us guys didnt promise to marry enough ugly bitches, in return for them liking the stones. You girls didnt bonk enough fugly blokes, on the promise you'll do anything (anything!!) if old ugly man just buys a stones cd or concert ticket, or rang up a radio station and say "hello, bald ugly but rich fucker here, i want (he will read from a note written for him) Brown Dugar played please". Nup, we stuffed up. So remember, when that zombie is chomping on your bum, and some dick wad in a bandanna and baggy pants is trying to play a guitar upside down with a LP record instead of a plectrum..Its all OUR fault!
09-19-03 09:09 AM
Mother baby What's the story on Gov't Mule? They're playing up here in about 3 weeks...worth going to? I've read a little but can't recall having heard any of their records.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Page: 1 2 3