ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2004 Daily Mirror with special thanks to Bootcover
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stop Breaking Down Blues Return to archive
September 23rd, 2004 11:13 AM
Jaxx i have a fabulous radio station i listen to...KQMT--The Mountain. these guys have a shitload of boots and rare releases. this morning i heard Stop Breaking Down covered by Eric Clapton. It was good, but certainly not as good as The Rolling Stones do it. my question: has anyone else covered this Robert Johnson Tune?

of course i like the stones cover better than the clapton one.
September 23rd, 2004 11:20 AM
Joey " ..... my question: has anyone else covered this Robert Johnson Tune? "

<------ googling
[Edited by Joey]
September 23rd, 2004 11:22 AM
jb Great stuff Jaxx!!! Glad you and SS are back!!!
September 23rd, 2004 11:45 AM
Jaxx yeah, joey. your avatar has walked millions of miles for a gas station, hasn't he?
September 23rd, 2004 12:02 PM
Joey
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
yeah, joey. your avatar has walked millions of miles for a gas station, hasn't he?

{{{ ? }}}
September 23rd, 2004 12:10 PM
Jaxx [quote]Joey wrote:

{{ ? }}}

sorry, do you need a map? that leaf looks like his car "broke down" and he's looking for a gas station. maybe i'm the one who needs the map!
September 23rd, 2004 12:28 PM
parmeda Hi Jaxx!
I'm glad to see that you've re-surfaced...it's been hard trying to keep these fellas in line here, lol
September 23rd, 2004 03:12 PM
Gazza >my question: has anyone else covered this Robert Johnson Tune?

it's been covered by several people.

Its on the White Stripes' self-titled first album and also on Lucinda Williams' 1979 debut, "Ramblin'".

More obvious latter day blues artists such as Peter Green and Jeff Healey have also recorded it
September 23rd, 2004 04:36 PM
F505 Didn't the Stones play it live with Robert Cray on the Voodoo Lounge tour?
September 23rd, 2004 04:45 PM
Gazza they did..in Miami on 25.11.94 on the PPV show.

Surprisingly (and disgracefully IMO as it's probably in my top 10 Stones songs of all time) it's the only time they've ever performed it.

Not a bad version on the PPV show by Cray but it didn't do the studio version justice
September 23rd, 2004 05:04 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Not a bad version on the PPV show by Cray but it didn't do the studio version justice

a horrible show
September 23rd, 2004 06:11 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>my question: has anyone else covered this Robert Johnson Tune?

it's been covered by several people.

Its on the White Stripes' self-titled first album and also on Lucinda Williams' 1979 debut, "Ramblin'".

More obvious latter day blues artists such as Peter Green and Jeff Healey have also recorded it

hi gazza and thanks for the reply. i had a feeling this tune has been covered more than once. now i'd like to see ratdog perform this one
September 23rd, 2004 06:16 PM
Mr Hess
quote:
Joey wrote:
" ..... my question: has anyone else covered this Robert Johnson Tune? "

<------ googling
[Edited by Joey]

I have a CD comp with someone named Baby Boy Warren singing it.
Sounds like it was recorded in the late '40s
September 23rd, 2004 06:25 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Mr Hess wrote:
I have a CD comp with someone named Baby Boy Warren singing it.
Sounds like it was recorded in the late '40s

since robert johnson recorded that song in june of 1937, i bet baby boy warren was the first to cover it.
September 23rd, 2004 06:46 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

a horrible show

Lame Version of Stop breaking down.. intensity = 0 compared to the record version....

September 23rd, 2004 08:48 PM
Lil Brian Who's Robert A. Johnson (on guitar) at Rotterdam, Holland (Jan/Feb '75) during the Black & Blue sessions?
September 23rd, 2004 10:19 PM
Mr Hess
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
Who's Robert A. Johnson (on guitar) at Rotterdam, Holland (Jan/Feb '75) during the Black & Blue sessions?

Probably one of the contestents in 'The Great Guitarist Hunt' before they made Ronnie official.
September 23rd, 2004 10:19 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
a horrible show

and the video is worse...
September 24th, 2004 01:47 AM
Zack
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

and the video is worse...

MIU and Soldatti, why why why do you two say that? I've watched that video a thousand times. What's wrong with, except for Whoopi Goldberg?
September 24th, 2004 02:14 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Joey wrote:
" ..... my question: has anyone else covered this Robert Johnson Tune? "

<------ googling

my google research indicates that, in addition to those already mentioned, the tune has also been covered by

Sonny Boy Williamson

ZZ Top

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
September 24th, 2004 04:10 AM
Moonisup well, cos I think it's a lame show, no energy at all, there are far more better shows from that tour! Japan is a nice show, the shows in Argentia.

rik
September 24th, 2004 05:19 AM
piratekeef >my question: has anyone else covered this Robert Johnson >Tune?
>of course i like the stones cover better than the clapton one.

Mick Taylor included this song in his set during 1992, I think. He also played Shake Your Hips at some of these occasions.
September 24th, 2004 08:09 AM
Gazza >my google research indicates that, in addition to those already mentioned, the tune has also been covered by

Sonny Boy Williamson
ZZ Top

Sonny Boy Williamson's version (in fact BOTH Sonny Boy I & II recorded it) is his own composition and is a different song from Johnson's. I think thats the version that ZZ Top may have covered although I'd need to check.

September 24th, 2004 08:14 AM
Gazza >a horrible show

don't agree, although a friend of mine who went from England to see it thought the one he saw in Gainesville (I think) a day later was far superior.

Apart from Sheryl Crow (who I normally like) murdering "Live with me", I like that show - it was the first time they ever did a sort of b-stage effect (when they sat down and played a 3-song acoustic set and the stage moved out into the audience) and that for me was one of the highlights of any telecast they've done
September 24th, 2004 09:37 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Zack wrote:
MIU and Soldatti, why why why do you two say that? I've watched that video a thousand times. What's wrong with, except for Whoopi Goldberg?

Zack: Do you have the video "Voodoo Lounge in Argentina"?
You will fall to the hell after that. Then look at that Miami show and you will understand.