ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2004 Daily Mirror with special thanks to Bootcover
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cat Stevens held in custody after flight diverted (ns) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
September 24th, 2004 10:57 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
But I agree with the policy you tried to express in your very limited way - its dickhead Cat "Islam" Stevens' burden to prove he isn't a scumbag, not ours. He ended up on a watch list, probably for damn good reasons, and he is out until he can explain in satisfactory terms why he shouldn't be on that list.

In the meantime, hopefully Britain will send that jackass to Iran where the irrational fuck should be living in the first place, if he really believed all the bullshit he's been yacking for the last 20.

September 24th, 2004 11:21 PM
The Eggman You know what ?

I havefta disagree, shure Ex-CAT has a problem on his hands with his backwards reglion (in my mind) But fuck!..That guy made some great fucking tunes, good wholesome tunes for decades.

(Heres the controversy) , Him being a muslim should automatically ready himself (especially in this day and age) to take on crap like this especially from the United States..and If people are mad about the route he took with his reglion, then FINE, but he coulda ended up alot worse!..am I right?
September 25th, 2004 04:10 AM
JumpinJackFlash Hmm, I don't mind Cat Stevens tunes. I've seen programs on him before all this terrorist crap. He's been a humanitarian to many needy people. Focused himself on trying to help others, seems to be alot more than most of us could say or do. It's funny how you guy's are bashing just about anybody that isn't a red neck Saudi loving American. You guy's are the ones supporting a family that practically sleeps with the Saudi's in Washington. Go raise your red, white and blue at the Saudi embassy in Washington, and eat like a pig off the 7 trillion they feed into your economy. It's Cat Stevens for christ sake, haven't you had your fill of hatred as well. How can you stand for all that peace shit the way your comments post. Kind of getting bored of this boo hoo hoo 9/11 american shit. Haven't you made enough people suffer for your loss. Your "Masters Of War"
September 25th, 2004 06:29 AM
caro
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

But I agree with the policy you tried to express in your very limited way - its dickhead Cat "Islam" Stevens' burden to prove he isn't a scumbag, not ours. He ended up on a watch list, probably for damn good reasons, and he is out until he can explain in satisfactory terms why he shouldn't be on that list.

He probably had weapons of mass destruction.
September 25th, 2004 10:11 AM
mickmask Excuse me whilst I try to make myself a little clearer...IN MY VERY LIMITED WAY....
What's it gonna take?... Waiting for them to fly a plane up your fuckin' ass???!!!!
THERE... I FEEL MUCH BETTER....'er,in my hysterical, limited way, mind you!'

[Edited by mickmask]
[Edited by mickmask]
September 25th, 2004 11:42 AM
caro The thought of Cat Stevens flying a plane into Mount Rushmore kind of cracks me up...
However, I still don't understand your smoke/fire comment
quote:
When are people going to fucking wake up??!!
... 99.9% of the time...where there is smoke...there is fire!!!!

Does that mean 99,9% of the people who have one day been suspected of having something to do with a terrorist organization actually *are* terrorists? I though the reports on Abu Ghraib (an estimated 79-90% of the detainees innocent) would've made people a bit more careful with that kind of statement.

Also, (this is more an answer to sirmoonie) I don't see why and how Cat Stevens should prove he is innocent. I don't have a problem with him being denied entry into the US. What happened is fine by me so far. But I think the security officials shouldn't be allowed to just ban someone without giving precise reasons, without naming the timespan during which that ban applies, and without being accountable to some other authority. Especially in this case : with every paper in the world running the story, they don't have much to lose anyway by explaining how exactly that guy threatens America's security. If he really did give money to terror groups, then it's obvious those groups already know that the CIA is after them.

The right to circulate freely in all countries is important, IMO. I really wouldn't dismiss it so easily, like "if he really wants to come here, he can always prove that he's innocent". Since the vast majority of my friends are people who travel a lot, I hear sad stories all the time -- people getting a job proposal abroad that they have to refuse because they don't get a visa; couples being forced to lived in different countries because of administrative problems...

If you're gonna say that getting into the US is a privilege that you have to earn (prove that you're harmless), then you'll have to change your whole relation to the rest of the world. US citizens get lots of advantages from being able to travel, buy & sell across the world, so there has to be some sense of reciprocity.
September 25th, 2004 11:49 AM
piratekeef Free the Cat! What a shitty decision to arrest him. Who's responsible? And...Cat Stevens has never made a rubbish record ever! I just hope that some of you will calm down on this matter
September 25th, 2004 02:45 PM
Lazy Bones Yusuf Islam speaks about his recent exclusion from the US

24 September 2004

First, I thank God for relieving me of my ordeal and delivering me home safe; also, thanks to all those who prayed for me and supported me through this whole dark episode, from eminent politicians, the press and religious leaders, to plain, everyday people. Never would I believe that such a thing could happen in the 'land of the free' - unfortunately, it did. But it's warming to have such a wave of sympathy from my friends and my worldwide well-wishers.

After the experience of my dramatic deportation from the U.S.A. it feels like I am on a different planet from the one I was on a couple of days ago; certainly the world has changed, not for the best. Two days beforehand, I had started a journey with my daughter to Nashville, intending to initiate work on a new recording project. Suddenly, our aeroplane was diverted 600 miles to Bangor International Airport and I found myself surrounded by six uniformed officers and handed over to the FBI for questioning.

The most upsetting thing at this point was being separated from my daughter, Maymanah, not knowing how she was or when and where we might be united. And since my phone was confiscated I couldn't contact my family (nor could they ring me) and they were relegated to watching the whole frightening episode on TV and surviving on scraps of information shown by the media.

My interrogators repeatedly wanted to know how my name was spelt; it sounded to me as though they had it mixed up with someone else's. Security officers finally told me that my name was on a 'No Fly List', I was classified as 'Inadmissible', and sent back to London.

The amazing thing is that I was not given (and have still not been given) any explanation whatsoever as to what it is I am accused of, or why I am now deemed an apparent security threat - let alone given an opportunity to respond to these allegations. I was simply told that the order had come from 'on high'.

We have now initiated a legal process to try to find out exactly what is going on, and to take all necessary steps to undo the very serious, and wholly unfounded, injustice which I have suffered.

I am a man of peace and denounce all forms of terrorism and injustice; it is simply outrageous for the U.S. authorities to suggest otherwise. I have dedicated my life to promoting peace and understanding throughout the world. It would be devastating were the charity work I do through my humanitarian relief organisation, Small Kindness, which helps countless children and families, and which is accredited by the United Nations, to be undermined by what has happened.

What makes the situation even more distressing is the fact that I have now been prevented from entering the United States - a part of God's earth that I love and whose people have always been great friends to me.

Yet, after all this, I can think of no better response than by continuing what I believe to be the tremendously important work of caring for the needy and campaigning for peace and stability in this volatile and increasingly violent world, and at the same time try to seek to clear my name of this appalling and baseless slur. In the meantime I am confident that, in the end, good sense and, above all, justice, will prevail.
Page: 1 2 3