ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2004 Daily Mirror with special thanks to Bootcover
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones to play the new Wembley Stadium!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 21st, 2004 10:12 PM
CS THE ROLLING STONES are to tour again – and will be the first band to play the new Wembley Stadium.

MICK JAGGER and Co will hit the road in 2006 and will make history with the final gig at the £750million venue in North London.

Many fans feared the group’s 40 Licks tour, which started in 2002 and ended last year, would be their last.

But wrinkly legends Mick, RONNIE WOOD, KEITH RICHARDS and CHARLIE WATTS plan to be whooping it up at Wembley when they will have an incredible combined age of 249.

A stadium source told me: “The Stones are determined to tour again in 2006.

“They will warm up in Toronto and have their homecoming at Wembley. It has been planned so they will be the first band to play at the new stadium.

“In front of 90,000 people the noise will be deafening. It will be such a special experience for the fans and the band.

“Their last tour was to celebrate 40 years together and they enjoyed it so much they all feel they have another left in them.

“People might joke about them being wrinkly old blokes but they are still one of the best — if not the best — rock ’n’ roll group out there.

“The atmosphere will be electric and Mick and the boys can’t wait.

“Charlie has been diagnosed with throat cancer but they are optimistic he will be with them on stage.” And he added: “This time it really might be their last time performing live.”

I just hope the stadium is ready in time — the building has been plagued with problems and setbacks. It was started as a four-year project in 2002.

I, for one, can’t wait to see the Stones in action again. I saw them at Twickenham last year and it was one of the best gigs I’ve ever seen. It’s only crock ’n’ roll — but I like it.

Please don’t badger me for tickets — they won’t go on sale for a while yet.
September 21st, 2004 10:15 PM
kath the source of this story is___________________???
September 21st, 2004 10:24 PM
glencar 'bout time there's some good news in the world!
September 21st, 2004 10:35 PM
Soldatti
quote:
CS wrote:
A stadium source told me: “The Stones are determined to tour again in 2006.

2006? WTF?
I hope for a tour start on 2005.
[Edited by Soldatti]
September 21st, 2004 10:39 PM
kath where did we hear this??? dan rather???? check sources.....

if it's true, that's GREAT news....i just wanna know for sure. it's not posted ANYWHERE else....board wise i mean.
September 21st, 2004 10:39 PM
CS They will be the first band to play at the new stadium closing the 2005-2006 tour
September 21st, 2004 10:42 PM
Soldatti That's better news...
September 22nd, 2004 04:42 AM
Zack It's in the UK Sun

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2004440896,00.html
September 22nd, 2004 05:17 AM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Zack wrote:
It's in the UK Sun

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2004440896,00.html

It must be true then
September 22nd, 2004 05:32 AM
Gazza They probably got the story from the Stones fansites! it's been "gossip" for months..

Makes sense anyway as the new Wembley is scheduled to open in time for the 2006 FA Cup Final - which would be May 2006.

It looks a pretty cool stadium from the artist's impressions and the work done on it so far (the new arch is up and can be seen from pretty much all over London). Long overdue as the old one was increasingly decrepit and with poor access and only maintained for years due to sentimental reasons (a kick up the hole for the first smartarse to equate it with the Stones)

Mind you, it was originally supposed to be ready for 2003 or 2004. Going by the redtape and overspending prevalent in any national 'monument' or stadium that this government is involved in, expect the Stones to play there just in time for their 60th anniversary tour in 2022.
September 22nd, 2004 05:34 AM
Gazza >2006? WTF?
I hope for a tour start on 2005.

it will be. The Sun is only concerned with a UK tour. The fact they will have been on the road for months beforehand in other territories is of little relevance to most people reading the article
September 22nd, 2004 06:47 AM
LadyJane While I'd love to believe this..it sounds like pure unsubstantiated rumor to me.

I still have faith, though, that we will see another tour.

LJ.
September 22nd, 2004 08:24 AM
Ronnie B. Wood please come to serbia or cum over serbia, whatever you are STONES!!
September 22nd, 2004 09:24 AM
Joey

Finally ......................

Some Good News !!!! The United States ESPECIALLY could use some good news right about now ......

This will be the BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!!!!!

" Stones Rule ..............Ronnie ! "

D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !
September 22nd, 2004 10:17 AM
justinkurian This is from NME...which is reliable (correct me if I'm wrong)but I noticed they are quoting the Sun, too.

STONES SET TO ROCK NEW WEMBLEY!

The ROLLING STONES look set to be the first band to play at the new WEMBLEY STADIUM on a tour scheduled for 2006.

The veteran band, who toured last year to celebrate their 40th anniversary, plan to hit the road again, and want the tour to culminate at the £750 million stadium in north-west London.

A source close to the stadium told today's (September 22) Sun newspaper: "The Stonesare determined to tour again in 2006.

"They will warm up in Toronto and have their homecoming at Wembley. It has been planned so they will be the first band to play at the new stadium."

"In front of 90,000 people the noise will be deafening. It will be such a special experience for the fans and the band. Their last tour was to celebrate 40 years together and they enjoyed it so much they all feel they have another left in them.

"People might joke about them being wrinkly old blokes but they are still one of the best - if not the best - rock 'n' roll group out there.

"The atmosphere will be electric and Mick and the boys can't wait."

[Edited by justinkurian]
[Edited by justinkurian]
September 22nd, 2004 10:22 AM
Gazza >This is from NME...which is a reliable (correct me if I'm wrong)

Maybe, but in this case they've lifted the article from "the Sun" and even credited them, which in itself hardly makes it automatically more credible.

Wembley reopens May 2006. The Stones next world tour is planned to start in 2005 and it makes perfect logic that Europe will be towards the end of the tour, ie 2006. It's a no-brainer. The only issue is whether they'd be the first band to play in the new stadium. It would make sense that it would be a British band and there aren't too many bands in the world who would be on tour in Europe that year who are a) British and b) capable of filling the place.

http://www.wembleystadium.com/brilliantfuture/the_arch.htm

[Edited by Gazza]
September 22nd, 2004 10:23 AM
jb Great news!!! The tour will start in America om Feb 8th, 2005 at the Trocedero theatre in Philly and open at the new Wembley in England!!! This is really exciting!!!!
September 22nd, 2004 10:31 AM
Gazza LOL

You'll be lucky if they've started turning their guitars in the studio by February
September 22nd, 2004 11:36 AM
Joey " It would make sense that it would be a British band and there aren't too many bands in the world who would be on tour in Europe that year who are a) British and b) capable of filling the place. "

The Rolling Stones , THE WHO , Paul McCartney , U2 .

September 22nd, 2004 12:02 PM
stewed & Keefed http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/altnews/040922_rollingstones.shtml

No satisfaction for Stones fans
Last updated 22 September 2004

We've got the truth on rumours that the Rolling Stones will open the new Wembley stadium.

One of the papers today suggested the Stones are going back on the road for another world tour and that their home-coming gig will the first live act at the new Wembley stadium.

Radio 1 has spoken to the Stones' people who say there are no plans for a tour and it would be impossible to plan a gig at a venue that hasn't even been built yet.
September 22nd, 2004 12:16 PM
cwatts0462 what about charlie,its not easy at 64 with cancer
to go ON THE ROAD FOR TWO YEARS, i hope he is healthy enough
September 22nd, 2004 02:20 PM
kath charlie is fine for the love of gawd!!!!

i just think we need to research our sources before we get all worked up ,here.

i wanna tour just as much if not more than everybody else...i just don't want to be disappointed if this story is bogus...
September 22nd, 2004 02:26 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
kath wrote:
charlie is fine for the love of gawd!!!!

i just think we need to research our sources before we get all worked up ,here.

i wanna tour just as much if not more than everybody else...i just don't want to be disappointed if this story is bogus...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/altnews/040922_rollingstones.shtml
September 22nd, 2004 02:27 PM
jb
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/altnews/040922_rollingstones.shtml

oH no!!!!
September 22nd, 2004 02:32 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
oH no!!!!

.....and then , DEPRESSION set in !

( cue Bernstein music )

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY !
September 22nd, 2004 05:03 PM
Dan So is this is the latest rumor? I like how so many people have convinced themselves a tour is in the works and an announcement is imminent when its not even on the drawing board yet.
Anyone know if the band meeting allegedly planned for July and then September has happened yet?
September 22nd, 2004 07:50 PM
Gazza >So is this is the latest rumor? I like how so many people have convinced themselves a tour is in the works and an announcement is imminent when its not even on the drawing board yet.

I didnt suggest it was imminent. However, the Stones press release last month did specifically state work on a new album later this year. It has also been stated that they intend to tour in 2005. Of course they're going to deny specific concert dates - especially for a show that isn't scheduled to take place for almost two years! And obviously they're going to deny a story that originated from the venue itself and not sources within the band. However, it's certainly past the "drawing board" stage. The planning for tours are done way in advance and, but for the health problems affecting two members of the band, it's quite possible that they would by now have otherwise been at a more advanced stage of planning than they currently are.

>Anyone know if the band meeting allegedly planned for July and then September has happened yet?

yes. I believe they met in Amsterdam several weeks ago. To the best of my knowledge, without Charlie.

September 22nd, 2004 07:53 PM
kath when gazza speaks, people listen.....
September 22nd, 2004 07:58 PM
Gazza " It would make sense that it would be a British band and there aren't too many bands in the world who would be on tour in Europe that year who are a) British and b) capable of filling the place. "

>The Rolling Stones , THE WHO , Paul McCartney , U2 .

U2 aren't British and they will be touring in early 2005 anyway. I doubt they'll be on the road again a year later.

The Who are long past the stage where they could fill a stadium in the UK.

McCartney certainly fits the bill on both counts, although I doubt it would be him. The Stones are synonymous with playing the venue (they've played there more often than any other act (12 times over 4 tours), with the possible exception of Michael Jackson who did the vast majority of his shows in 1988 when he must have played about ten shows there...)

There's a few younger acts who at a given time could fill it but I would imagine the people in charge of Wembley would be looking for a more established act with credibility and longevity.
September 22nd, 2004 08:15 PM
Dan I am pretty sure the tour hasnt hit the drawing board stage, regardless of Charlie's health problems. I am sure they are enjoying their money and the good life that comes with it. They met in Amsterdam to discuss some financial matters relating to Prince Rupert's retirement in June but I dont think any subsequent meetings have taken place.

And JB - the first show at the new Wembley is going to be Oasis!
Page: 1 2