ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2004 Daily Mirror with special thanks to Bootcover
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: best officially unreleased stones song Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
September 16th, 2004 05:00 PM
jean-pierre M ..why not...
........Everlasting is my love...!!!?
September 16th, 2004 05:01 PM
jean-pierre M ..why not...
September 16th, 2004 07:56 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jean-pierre M wrote:
..why not...

Another great tune but I don't like that falseto...
September 16th, 2004 09:29 PM
Mr Hess Lets Go Steady
September 17th, 2004 10:49 AM
jb "Lil Jackie"
September 17th, 2004 09:57 PM
Soldatti Honest Man
September 18th, 2004 12:38 AM
glencar I Can See It
September 21st, 2004 04:03 PM
polytoxic Still A Fool
Travelling Man
Criss Cross Man
Fast Talking
Too Many Cooks
Drift Away
Claudine
Do You Think I Really Care?
Let's Go Steady
Strictly Memphis
Zip Mouth Angel

September 21st, 2004 04:09 PM
jb lil' bisquit.
September 21st, 2004 07:59 PM
Soldatti Who Am I (See I love you)
September 21st, 2004 08:32 PM
Gazza Doesn't say much for many people's expectations of the quality of an album of Stones 'outtakes' if they reckon their greatest 'lost masterpieces' are - in many of these cases - drab instrumentals or studio run throughs with either a guide vocal or clearly unfinished lyrics.

Most of these songs were simply not good enough to be on official releases...in the versions we've heard anyway Simple reason why they were left off.

That said, "Do You Think I Really Care" is a song I find very charming, even though it's not quite finished. Great pedal steel solo too.

Other faves include the covers of "Drift away" and "we had it all"; some of the DW outtakes, especially Keith's wonderful "Baby You're Too Much" (either version - theres a rarer take with sax which sounds more like a final take); the rockabilly version of "Claudine" (considered releasable but withdrawn for legal reasons); "Tell Me baby" (which I think DID briefly get a semi-official release), that live BBC recording of "Cops and robbers"; "Honest Man"; and "Travellin' Man" (I'd love to hear a finished version of that song to do the guitar solo justice, but I would imagine it wasn't finished).

My absolute favourite Stones outtake though is the BB sessions outtake "Still a Fool" (aka Two Trains Runnin'). One of the best blues the Stones ever recorded, official or unofficial.

However, even that pales into comparison for me with Keith's Toronto'77 solo session. Tape hiss not withstanding, those series of covers that he recorded while he was staring into the abyss are the most moving performances of his life. For numerous reasons, my favourite "unofficial" Stones studio recordings - solo or as a group.

And some of the bootleg titles that have circulated for years are ludicrous, especially if you listen to the lyrics which make it more obvious what the correct title should be - ie, "Criss Cross Mind" (not "Criss Cross Man" -you'd hardly sing 'giving me a Criss Cross Man' fe Gawds sake)..same with "Gangster's Moll" (what the hell is a "Gangster's Maul"??)
[Edited by Gazza]
September 21st, 2004 10:00 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
And some of the bootleg titles that have circulated for years are ludicrous, especially if you listen to the lyrics which make it more obvious what the correct title should be - ie, "Criss Cross Mind" (not "Criss Cross Man" -you'd hardly sing 'giving me a Criss Cross Man' fe Gawds sake)..same with "Gangster's Moll" (what the hell is a "Gangster's Maul"??)

You're 100% right Gazza, for example I have "Strictly Memphis" under the title "Going To Memphis"...
September 22nd, 2004 05:40 AM
Gazza well thats reasonable enough I guess as Mick & Womack actually SING "I'm goin' to Memphis" on that one, and bootleggers (like most of us) aren't going to have access to studio logs to get the right titles.

I just meant a few examples when a logical transcription of the lyrics would make them come up with a title that in English made no grammatical sense.
September 22nd, 2004 06:55 AM
Zack OK people, so let's compile a 20-track "best of outtakes" CD. No demos, instrumentals, or early version. I'll start and you can critque it, and maybe we can work out a running order get a final version and tree it or something. I'm goint vaguely chronologically:

1. Meet Me in the Bottom
2. Reelin' and Rockin
3. I Can See It (Get Yourself Together)
4. Highway Child
5. Still a Fool (Two Trains)
6. I Ain't Lyin'
7. Criss Cross Mind
8. Drift Away
9. Living in the Heart of Love
10. Claudine
11. Gangster's Moll
12. Yellow Cab
13. Think I'm Going Mad
14. She Still Comes Around
15. Fiji Jim
16. No Spare Parts
17. Cocksucker Blues

There's room for a few more. Additions, deletions, comments?
September 22nd, 2004 07:06 AM
Gazza "I Think I'm Goin' Mad" was released in 1984 as a B-side of "She Was Hot".

Apart from that, thats a decent selection although listening to the vocals or lyrics of some of those songs they're definitely at the "demo" stage!

Throw in "Honest Man", "What Am I Gonna Do With Your Love", "Invitation", "Baby You're Too Much" - which are all pretty much finished songs and you've got something to start yourself off with.
[Edited by Gazza]
[Edited by Gazza]
September 22nd, 2004 07:07 AM
stewed & Keefed 14. She Still Comes Around
Iv'e never heard of this title, has it a aka

Cheers
September 22nd, 2004 07:07 AM
Schleisher How about Everything is Turning to Gold?
September 22nd, 2004 07:13 AM
Gazza Everything is Turning To Gold is also officially released. It was a b-side that also ended up on "Sucking in the 70's" and that bonus CD of rarities that was released with the CBS boxed set of album reissues in 1990.

She Still Comes Around is a country song - I think Jerry Lee Lewis did it - covered by Keith on the Toronto '77 solo session I mentioned earlier.

If you're taking solo stuff as well, add "Apartment Number 9" and "Sing Me Back Home" from that same session.

September 22nd, 2004 10:24 AM
jb Lil' Ben
September 22nd, 2004 06:11 PM
kmc how about a song called "deeplove" - keith sings lead - from the stones "dirty work" sessions
September 22nd, 2004 09:40 PM
gotdablouse huh..Deep Love is rather basic, go for Crushed Pearl instead! I quite like the Loving You cover from these same sessions,.

Oh and Soldatti, Everlasting comes in at least two versions (not counting the one that was misstitled on AWHappen), one falsetto and one not.

How about "Hamburger to Go"...maybe Keith remembered it for "Thru and Thru" ;-)
September 22nd, 2004 10:16 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Oh and Soldatti, Everlasting comes in at least two versions (not counting the one that was misstitled on AWHappen), one falsetto and one not.

I only have the falseto version
September 22nd, 2004 11:01 PM
Zack OK so we drop, Going Mad

>Throw in "Honest Man", "What Am I Gonna Do With Your Love", "Invitation", "Baby You're Too Much" - which are all pretty much finished songs and you've got something to start yourself off with.

Problem is, I don't have any of these! What era are they from, on what CDs?
September 23rd, 2004 05:31 AM
Gazza "Honest Man" is a Voodoo Lounge outtake from Dublin' 93. Very good driving rocker which would have fitted just perfectly on the album. There's two takes of it (they sound pretty identical to me, maybe the mix is different) on either "Voodoo Brew" or "Voodoo Stew".

The others are all Dirty Work outtakes from New York in summer 1985. Before you barf, they're vastly superior to most songs on the album. "Invitation" (aka "You Don't Have To Tell Me") is a 15 minute long slow soul-type number with vocals by Mick Jagger, Bobby Womack and Don Covay. "What Am I Gonna Do" is a soulful ballad sung by Mick and "Baby You're Too Much" is one in a similar genre sung by Keith
September 23rd, 2004 07:57 AM
Monkeytonkman I know I've asked this before but someone give me a little help and let me know where I can get a copy of the track 'Travelin Man' never heard it and am dying to.

Little help would be appreciated. Plus it's good for your karma baby.
September 23rd, 2004 10:52 AM
Jaxx i'm a real glutton for studio outtakes and one of my favorite boots is "exile from mainstreet revisited". its cool to hear good time woman that eventually became tumbling dice and flash a light that became shine a light. jagger sounds like janis joplin to me in that outtake cut of flash a light. the other ones i like have already been mentioned...criss cross man (i love that line, "and i think i need a blood transfusion"--i feel that way sometimes too), and i love to blast drift away while i'm taxiing my kids around in the summertime. it keeps me from road raging.
September 23rd, 2004 10:53 AM
jb Backstreet Blues
September 23rd, 2004 11:13 AM
gotdablouse
quote:
Monkeytonkman wrote:
I know I've asked this before but someone give me a little help and let me know where I can get a copy of the track 'Travelin Man' never heard it and am dying to.

That would be "Trident Demos" or "Trident Mixes", I believe that stuff was uncovered when they pulled down the Olympic (?) Studios in London in the 80s and some people rummaged through the debris to find these treasures, or so the story goes. The same type of event gave us the chestnuts that appeared on Paris Results I/II/III in 1993 that would have otherwise have remained buried at the the Pathe Marconi Studios in Boulogne near Paris.

Gazza - Honest Man first showed up on Stew and one of the takes has Keith (or so the liner notes say) making some noise with his guitar.
September 23rd, 2004 09:47 PM
Soldatti I loved many outtakes from Dirty Work. If you change 2-3 tunes for others 2-3 outtakes is a pretty good album, not a masterprice but not so bad.
Page: 1 2 3