ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ - 27th September 2006
© SweetVirginia
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones are rooted in the American South Return to archive
27th September 2006 07:30 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Wednesday September 27, 2006
Star Online

Rolling Stones are rooted in the American South

By WALTER TUNIS

You don't need to deconstruct the Rolling Stones' music to find inspirations of the American South.

Shades of Delta blues, for example, abound in the landmark British band's early `60s albums. R&B and vintage soul ripe with Memphis and Muscle Shoals references are there, too. Even a country voice echoes on occasion. And where did you think the idea for Honky Tonk Women came from? It wasn't Oxford.

But perhaps the most visible and lasting Southern voice in the ageless Stones sound belongs to Chuck Leavell, the veteran Georgia keyboardist who has played a supporting role in every Stones album and tour since 1982.

Of course, Leavell has performed with a host of greats, from world-class rock pioneers George Harrison and Eric Clapton to the country duo Montgomery Gentry.

But 25 years with the Stones? And a world tour that has been running strong for 13 months? How cool is that?

"I think we all count our blessings that we still get to do this," Leavell said. "It's amazing that after almost 45 years, this band continues to draw the crowds that it does. And the incredible energy that the fans give us makes us want to keep doing it as long as we can.

"It's a wonderful addiction."

An Alabama native, Leavell rose to almost immediate national prominence when he joined the Allman Brothers Band at its commercial peak in 1972. But it was the famous blast of piano joy erupting out of the Allmans' instrumental hit Jessica the following year that was Leavell's recorded introduction to the world.

"Chuck is one of the hardest-working musicians I've ever been involved with," said Georgia songsmith and multi-instrumentalist Randall Bramblett, who toured and recorded extensively during the late 70s with Leavell in his post-Allmans band Sea Level.

"A lot of musicians float along. But Chuck is incredibly focused and is always coming up with innovative stuff. He's also one of the great technical players of piano boogie-woogie and jazz. I mean, you have to step up to the plate to play with Chuck or you're going to be left behind."

Leavell said his Southern slant on roots-music forms probably drew the Stones to his playing - that and the band's continued fascination with American music in general.

"It's interesting to note the respect that so many British artists, including the Stones, have for the music and the culture of the South," he said. "I'm sure that's one of the things that the Stones were interested in when they called me back in 1981."

Joining the Stones for a European tour in 1982 also meant the band was adding another name to its distinguished line of supporting keyboardists. Among Leavell's predecessors: Nicky Hopkins, Ian Stewart and Billy Preston. All three have since passed away, but Leavell feels a kinship to each of the players.

"Nicky was amazing," Leavell said. "We met in 1982 during my first tour with the Stones and stayed in touch through the years. I have the highest regard for his work. Stew (Stewart) was like a big brother. I learned a great deal from him. I didn't know Billy that well, but certainly have always loved his contributions to the incredible list of artists he worked with as well as his solo stuff. I do my best to pay homage to all of them when I'm playing with the Stones."

Leavell's love of the South is hardly confined to his music with the Stones, though. His recent independent instrumental solo album, Southscape, is a rich, jazz-inspired travelogue of his homeland. The recording's highlight: a gorgeous piano-soprano saxophone duet with Bramblett called Altamaha. It derives its name from the Georgia river that is home to more than 100 species of rare and endangered animals and plants.

That leads us to the other side of Leavell's work life and an occupation that presents his Southern reverence in a more tangible way. He is a conservationist and tree farmer who owns and operates Charlene Plantation in rural Georgia with his wife of 30 years, Rose Lane.

"When we're touring, we're in big cities, playing to large crowds," Leavell said. There's "lots of electricity, lots of energy and excitement going on. When we get a break, I get to go back to my beloved woods. It's peaceful, quiet and I can decompress.

"So I feel fortunate beyond words. I get to play with the Stones and all the other artists I've been privileged to work with, make my own records and have this wonderful life working in nature and on ecological and conservation issues.

"I might be the luckiest guy on earth."
27th September 2006 07:38 AM
Nellcote Good find TTM.
Possibly this will explain his woods trip prior to Gillette last week, although, the woods around The Razor could only contain remnants of the contestants of the old harness track which used to be there...
Now, strap in for the beating Chuck will receive, which is imminent...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)