ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ - 27th September 2006
© SweetVirginia
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SOL lyric question, I don't get it?................From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
25th September 2006 01:20 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I also dont expect to see a thread discussing the putrid lyrics of Mick's latest pop ballad.<

Fuck you Sway!

This song is supposed to be GREAT live. Why can't you just accept that this is the new direction of the new Stones? If you were a REAL fan you would LOVE this song, and spend hundreds of dollars to hear it played live by old men in a gigantostadium or enormodome.

You are such a negative vibe merchant.

LOL.

Shit, I laughed. I told myself not to laugh.

Laugh? Laugh? I nearly CRIED!
25th September 2006 01:28 PM
Some Guy SS, I predict you will get some quality quotes to use from this.
25th September 2006 01:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot Man I hope so SG...I hope so. I did a fuckload of typing, so I expect some good results.

25th September 2006 01:54 PM
glencar
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

It's all about status, you know. All those illegitimate, unclassified power ballads out there in the song orphanages of the world, their hopes and dreams crushed by cruelmarms and pumped full of swelling strings by nefarious, unsanitary song doctors, and then there's legitimately classified power ballads, in their posh partments of privelege, on 80s compilations, at proms, getting it on in the backs of limosines . . .

Classist society! Let the little weepy dreamy unpowerful ballads have their day! A modest ballad has just as much right in society as an alpha ballad.

Let us all fill the streets of love full of tears for the aspirant power ballad, who always looks in at the slow dance at the party, but never gets a spin. It knows how sharp the thorn on every rose.

Is "The Final Countdown" a power ballad? "Don't Want To Miss A Thing"? "Every Rose Has Its Thorn"? This is a straight up ballad...
25th September 2006 01:58 PM
Saint Sway LOL! Sir Stones is bringing funny back.
25th September 2006 02:04 PM
Sir Stonesalot Glenny...I see no difference between Streets of Love and Every Rose. Except SOL's lyrics aren't as good.

I'll tell you what, let's even accept that SOL is a straight up ballad. Fine. Now, let Barry Manilow sing it.

I can imagine Barry Manilow singing that song. If I can inmagine Barry Manilow singing the song...and it doesn't seem farfetched for him to be doing it...then The Rolling muthafuckin' Stones should NOT be doing it!!!

25th September 2006 02:11 PM
glencar It's not farfetched to see La Manilow also doing As Tears Go By or Ruby Tuesday. Shit, even Melanie covered the latter one.
25th September 2006 02:13 PM
Nellcote SS, how do you feel about FTC?
25th September 2006 02:13 PM
Saint Sway SOL is not a power ballad. Its a pop ballad.
25th September 2006 02:21 PM
Sir Stonesalot FTC?

I'm all for Freeing The Children.
25th September 2006 02:22 PM
glencar fool to cry...
25th September 2006 02:30 PM
Nellcote I recall back in the day, when it was released, it
was universally scorned. I took copious amounts
of crap for liking a band who, in the eyes of others
would release such an inferior song. I, of course, hopelessly addicted, had no use for these minions.
Now, when it comes out, Like WAY from TY, or SSS from BTB, hardcore fans cannot hold contain themselves with glee. Anything new from The Stones has no chance in pleasing everyone, as does anything from a band who has the miles under them as they do, ie New WHO.
[Edited by Nellcote]
25th September 2006 02:31 PM
Sir Stonesalot Damn it Glenny...I knew what he meant. Stop spoiling my jokes!!!

Fool To Cry is just a little(OK, a lot)to fey for me. And I don't care much at all for As Tears Go By. Boring.

I like Ruby Tuesday OK, but mostly it's because of Brian on that one. And the vocal harmonies. Those harmonies are cool. Lady Jane...same thing...Brian and the Dulcimer make that song interesting. Angie, blah.
25th September 2006 02:35 PM
Nellcote All admittedly fruit from the same tree, such as AHYS is close to BOB
25th September 2006 02:41 PM
Saint Sway Keith's acoustic on Angie is great. One of his best IMO
25th September 2006 03:36 PM
Jair Just out of curiosity, to try figure out how you Americans "works" (sorry, no better word in my mind right now):

Are you bashing the Stones all the time but are you going to watch their concerts again? Why? You never get tired? Isnt more confortable stay in home watching old tapes?

I agree, they're decadent and their music is poor, but I didnt went to Rio de Janeiro when they came here.

Actually, IF they come to my state, whose capital (Porto Alegre city) is about 60 miles from here, I do not intend go to see them.

They use to be great, the greatest, but those times are
gone. Now I'm more interested in new shit like, like, like...Oh man, suggestions are wellcome!

PS - Is a questions not for Americans only, actually pple from Europe could answer that as well, please, after all, most of you just seen them too.

25th September 2006 03:39 PM
Jair
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Man I hope so SG...I hope so. I did a fuckload of typing, so I expect some good results.

For a US born, a US resident, an American citizen, I'd say you can speak English.
25th September 2006 03:42 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Jair wrote:
Just out of curiosity, to try figure out how you Americans "works" (sorry, no better word in my mind right now):

Are you bashing the Stones all the time but are you going to watch their concerts again? Why? You never get tired? Isnt more confortable stay in home watching old tapes?

I agree, they're decadent and their music is poor, but I didnt went to Rio de Janeiro when they came here.

Actually, IF they come to my state, whose capital (Porto Alegre city) is about 60 miles from here, I do not intend go to see them.

They use to be great, the greatest, but those times are
gone. Now I'm more interested in new shit like, like, like...Oh man, suggestions are wellcome!

PS - Is a questions not for Americans only, actually pple from Europe could answer that as well, please, after all, most of you just seen them too.

how's that new razor working out?
25th September 2006 03:45 PM
Saint Sway Jair is the king of multi-tasking!
25th September 2006 03:52 PM
glencar
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Damn it Glenny...I knew what he meant. Stop spoiling my jokes!!!

Fool To Cry is just a little(OK, a lot)to fey for me. And I don't care much at all for As Tears Go By. Boring.

I like Ruby Tuesday OK, but mostly it's because of Brian on that one. And the vocal harmonies. Those harmonies are cool. Lady Jane...same thing...Brian and the Dulcimer make that song interesting. Angie, blah.

I'm a spoiler! I like most of their ballads but I could skip YCAGWYW, Angie, WH & Ruby Tuesday live at this point.
25th September 2006 04:02 PM
Jair
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

how's that new razor working out?

Great, SG. You should try on
25th September 2006 04:06 PM
glencar I broke my razor yesterday.
25th September 2006 04:10 PM
marko Well,ballads are only ones keith can play REALLY well.
But after 500times of angie,you should play it "well".
I think,i´m the only one with SS who doesn´t like ballads.
But i do like,as tears go by on this tour,mainly because
they haven´t done it since,1965?
I can live with SOL live,but not cd version.
Angie,i never liked this one either,its too sleezy,when it
comes to live,1990 and 1982 were good.Ruby tuesday is ok,
too often played now.
wheres waiting on my friend?
Allready over me?,or Play with fire?,or far away eyes?
26th September 2006 01:42 AM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:

Whats a 'legitimately classified power ballad' when its at home?

No. You know a song that someone can say it is a power ballad is all. As opposed to Angie, Beast of Burden, Out of Tears....

This one is different in the fact that it is.....well, a power ballad where as the Stones never really did one before.

Ian
26th September 2006 01:58 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

"A Bigger Bang was crafted to be a commercial success, of that there can be no question. T It IS a non-commercial album, but it was conceived by the band to be a HUGE commercial album."

Stripped down, and not radio so friendly. that is my definition of a Rolling Stones non-commercial album. That is exactly what almost ALL of ABB is. As in 14 songs out of 16. Only RFD and SOL are the really radio friendly ventures.

If A Bigger Bang isn't Adult Contemporary Pop music...what the fuck is it? It sure as shit ain't Rock n Roll. Even Rough Justice and ONNYA are fairly pop oriented songs.

Really???

Again, we went through this a year ago. Still, with comments like that I wonder if you're listening to the same album as everyone eles here.

It mystifies me as to how anyone could think that this is anything OTHER than Pop.

It mystifies me, (and many others) how you can conceive it anything eles but a direct Rock based album. Pop? Not even close to the defenition of Pop music today. ABB's main purpose was to get away from all of that on this album. It is so evident.

"Here's my theory folks. I think Ian is from another planet."

SSA. It isn't only me friend. Almost nobody here, except maybe two or three people see (or hear if you prefer), the same album you claim ABB to be. And no-body I have talked to in the many I have personally spoke with hear it the way you do. No article, No Review, discusses it this way. In fact they discuss it in completely opposite of Pop, or any contemporary affair. Even The Stones themselves came out and said they purposely wanted to make a stripped down, simple, direct album that was not over-produced. Listen to Bridges to Babylon. Now, THAT is Produced to the grind, and does have a touch of contemporary flavor to a couple songs. ABB is nothing like it.

Ian

26th September 2006 05:07 AM
Jair I think now is when you say:

WHO'S FROM ANOTHER PLANET AFTER ALL, SSA?

(You can say it with that Brad Pitt's accent in "Snatch", if you like...)
26th September 2006 05:24 AM
Altamont
quote:
Jair wrote:
I think now is when you say:

WHO'S FROM ANOTHER PLANET AFTER ALL, SSA?

(You can say it with that Brad Pitt's accent in "Snatch", if you like...)

Post more pics of Neitche, Jair, will ya?
26th September 2006 09:04 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
[quote]Gazza wrote:

Whats a 'legitimately classified power ballad' when its at home?

No. You know a song that someone can say it is a power ballad is all. As opposed to Angie, Beast of Burden, Out of Tears....

This one is different in the fact that it is.....well, a power ballad where as the Stones never really did one before.

Ian

My point was that putting everything into genres, sub-genres and sub-sub genres is completely pointless. The parameters someone uses to define them is their own. So, its meaningless and artificial.

Theres only two types of music I care about - ie, whether its good or bad.
[Edited by Gazza]
26th September 2006 09:30 AM
Jair
quote:
Altamont wrote:

Post more pics of Neitche, Jair, will ya?

Buy yourself your own dog, dude, will ya?
27th September 2006 01:08 AM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:

My point was that putting everything into genres, sub-genres and sub-sub genres is completely pointless. The parameters someone uses to define them is their own. So, its meaningless and artificial.

Theres only two types of music I care about - ie, whether its good or bad.
[Edited by Gazza]

I see. Well I agree. I see it more as a classication. Such as saying Beast of Burden is a "soulful type ballad". Nothing wrong with descibing it.

I agree. Who cares if some say it is a power ballad. If it is a "good" ballad, then that is all that matters. Not it's classification.

However if they KEPT doing them over, and over, and over, and over, sappier everytime such as Aerosmith has done to no end is when I have a problem with it.

Ian
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)