ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ - 27th September 2006
© SweetVirginia
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SOL lyric question, I don't get it?................From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
23rd September 2006 04:51 PM
IanBillen
I have always wondered what the line at the end of Streets of Love means by "There's only one, and I looked at him"? I think that is what he says as Mick closes the song.

Is it kinda a religeous thing where he finds faith in Jesus after breaking up with a chic?

I know that could be stretching it....but I really don't understand the line. Is he talking about the girls boyfriend he may of saw. As in "he/him" is the one in her book and it was never meant to work with Mick?

These are the only two things I can imagine.

Is this exactly what Mick says in this line and if so, how do you folks interpet this?

Ian
23rd September 2006 09:04 PM
glencar You are weird.
23rd September 2006 09:20 PM
pdog Get off the glue!
23rd September 2006 11:14 PM
deuce The whole song is about heaven. "Streets Of Love" refer to golden streets winding through the big place in the sky.

Check out the lyrics in "Stray Cat Blues" - Mick adopts a cat.
24th September 2006 12:22 AM
Jair
quote:
deuce wrote:
The whole song is about heaven. "Streets Of Love" refer to golden streets winding through the big place in the sky.

Check out the lyrics in "Stray Cat Blues" - Mick adopts a cat.

Exactly! Thats why there is a choir of angels doing the background vocals, dude!!!
24th September 2006 02:55 AM
IanBillen
Ok. Cool. Whatever. How about a serious answer to my thread.

Ian
24th September 2006 05:18 AM
marko if he sings about a she-male?
24th September 2006 06:07 AM
FotiniD Stop going off at Ian like a bunch of bullies in a schoolyard and how about actually trying to make sense of that lyric?
24th September 2006 08:11 AM
Bitch STREETS OF LOVE
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

You're awful bright, you're awful smart
I must admit you broke my heart
The awful truth is really sad
I must admit I was awful bad

While lovers laugh and music plays
I stumble by and I hide my pain
The lights are lit, the moon is gone
I think I've crossed the Rubicon

I walk the streets of love and they're full of tears
And I walk the streets of love and they're full of fears

While music pumps from passing cars
A couple watch me from a bar
A band just played the wedding march
And the corner store mends broken hearts
And a woman asks me for a dance
Oh it's free of charge, just one more chance

Walk the streets of love for a thousand years

Oh tell me now
I... Oh I walk the streets of love, yeah and they're drenched with tears... Oh

You had the moves, you had the cards
I must admit you were awful smart
The awful truth is awful sad

And I walk the streets of love and they're drenched with tears
And I walk the streets of love for a thousand years... Oh

Walk the streets of love and they're drenched with tears
Oh every night, oh there's only one and not enough for him
Oh I, yeah and they're full of tears
Oh everybody talk about it
Everybody be walking down it
Yeah but I found out.... oh yes that I...

Oh yes I do
Oh the streets of love, yeah, they're drenched with, drenched with in tears...
I... oh yeah I don't want to...

A BIGGER BANG

I think MICK is speaking about himself here, one love is never enough for him, and he knows it so it causes him anguish and pain. I think MICK wishes he could feel that kind of love, but he never has, true love slips away from him and is just out of reach. He envies the couples that have that one true love of their life, because in spite of all of his money and power, that kind of love has been unattainable for him. That is the awful truth, and yes, it is awful sad.
24th September 2006 10:03 AM
LadyJane I'm gonna have such a hard time with this one.

The lyrics hit home...
And hit home hard....

I know...I'll focus all of my attention on MEG and Parmeda duct taping TomL to his seat so he can't take his piss break during this one.

LJ
24th September 2006 10:08 AM
FotiniD
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I'm gonna have such a hard time with this one.

The lyrics hit home...
And hit home hard....

I know...I'll focus all of my attention on MEG and Parmeda duct taping TomL to his seat so he can't take his piss break during this one.

LJ

Only a few days left LJ! I'm feeling very excited for you, like I'm going to the gig as well

Prepare to have a great time!
24th September 2006 10:15 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I'm gonna have such a hard time with this one.

The lyrics hit home...
And hit home hard....

LJ

Sing it LOUD. And don't let TomL leave. Make him listen to it.

24th September 2006 10:35 AM
glencar Ya know, I realize it's not exactly about God but rather the Dalai Lama. Mick is quite ingenious in his lyrics nowadays. Lhasa is often referred to as "The Streets of Love City" & it all makes sense now. You know, this song is EXCELLENT live!
24th September 2006 01:39 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
marko wrote:
if he sings about a she-male?

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhhahahahhahahhhaha

this is the funniest thing i've read
24th September 2006 04:20 PM
Jair
quote:
glencar wrote:
Ya know, I realize it's not exactly about God but rather the Dalai Lama. Mick is quite ingenious in his lyrics nowadays. Lhasa is often referred to as "The Streets of Love City" & it all makes sense now. You know, this song is EXCELLENT live!

]

Exactly dude! Lhasa is the breed of my dog (lhasa apso). So, this thread now leads to that post about Stray Cat Blues, in which Mick adopts a...dog!
The things are making sense today.
24th September 2006 04:23 PM
glencar Those are great dogs(if one likes dogs...)!
24th September 2006 05:24 PM
Jair
quote:
glencar wrote:
Those are great dogs(if one likes dogs...)!

yup. Mine is very sweet and friendly, except with strange people and children. Then he barks alot. Now that Spring started here, he's with some little health problems... something to do with flowers and the kind of threes we have here. I'll take him to the vet tomorrow...

24th September 2006 05:40 PM
Sir Stonesalot STREETS OF LOVE
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

You're awful bright, you're awful smart
I must admit you broke my heart
The awful truth is really sad

While lovers laugh and music plays
I stumble by and I hide my pain
The lights are lit, the moon is gone
I think I've crossed the Rubicon

And I walk the streets of love and they're full of fears

While music pumps from passing cars
A couple watch me from a bar
A band just played the wedding march
And the corner store mends broken hearts
And a woman asks me for a dance
Oh it's free of charge, just one more chance

Walk the streets of love for a thousand years

Oh tell me now
I... Oh I walk the streets of love, yeah and they're drenched with tears... Oh

You had the moves, you had the cards
I must admit you were awful smart
The awful truth is awful sad

And I walk the streets of love and they're drenched with tears
And I walk the streets of love for a thousand years... Oh

Walk the streets of love and they're drenched with tears
Oh every night, oh there's only one and not enough for him
Oh I, yeah and they're full of tears
Oh everybody talk about it
Everybody be walking down it
Yeah but I found out.... oh yes that I...

Oh yes I do
Oh the streets of love, yeah, they're drenched with, drenched with in tears...
I... oh yeah I don't want to...
--------------------------------------------------------

Did Mick enter an 8th grade talent show at the local Jr. High School? At least no sharks cried, and there is no mention of Semtex.

Those are some seriously lame lyrics for a seriously lame song. Power balladry is crap, any way you cut it. We all jump all over Aerosmith and the like for doing crappy power balladry. Fair is fair...I gotta call The Stones on it too. I'm willing to give the Stones a pass on a lot of shit...but I gotta draw the line at stupid sappy crappy lame power balladry.

That song is one of the main reasons that I'm not going to any shows on this leg of the tour. Glenny, I know that you say it's great live...but I just don't see how that is possible. A shitty power ballad is still a shitty power ballad no matter how they dress it up. I just can't make myself tolerate that shit...no how, no way.
24th September 2006 05:45 PM
glencar To each his own, SS. I saw Aerosmith once in concert & their power ballad was horrid that night. I'd be interested in what others who DON'T like the song thought of it live.
24th September 2006 08:35 PM
texile pretty good bitch and your analysis makes sense....
but the song doesn't have enough heart for me to even try to interpret...

and saint,
the lyrics are more like a lovelorn 5th grader.
24th September 2006 09:52 PM
Jair I know, nothing to do about it, but Mick could write a lyric like Prince's Kiss.

Check it out:

Uh!

U don't have to be beautiful to turn me on
I just need your body, baby, from dusk till dawn
U don't need experience to turn me on
U just leave it all up to me, I'm gonna show U what
it's all about

CHORUS:
U don't have to be rich to be my girl
U don't have to be cool to rule my world
Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
I just want your extra time and your . . . . . kiss

U got to not talk dirty, baby, if U wanna impress me
U can't be to flirty, mama, And know how to undress me
(Yeah)
I want to be your fantasy, maybe U could be mine
U just leave it all up to me, we could have a good
time

CHORUS

Yes, oh
I think I wanna dance, uh
Gotta, gotta, oh
Little Girl Wendy's Parade
Gotta, gotta, gotta

Women, not girls, rule my world, I said they rule my
world
Act your age, mama, not your shoe size, maybe we could
do the twirl
U don't have to watch Dynasty to have an attitude, uh
U just leave it all up to me, my love will be your
food (Yeah)

U don't have to be rich to be my girl
U don't have to be cool to rule my world
Ain't no particular sign I'm compatible with!
I just want your extra time and your kiss

Great, isn't???
Love Prince. Just found (using soulseek) a techno remix veeeeeeery cool!!!

25th September 2006 05:11 AM
IanBillen
I mis-understood what Mick was saying. Instead I see he has "and it's not enough for him". Still, I got good insight on how this song could be interpreted. It could be about a man and himself, a man such as Mick. Or a chic that broke his heart. It is a good song. I like it. Some times I get in the mood for it. Originally, it wasn't one of my favs on the album. Now I have gained more respect for it. I always knew it was radio friendly and the most "single" like song on this non-commercial, non pop oeriented disc and I always liked it fair enough. But very recently I feel it is better than I originally thought. Is this, infact the Stones first legitimately classified power ballad? Think about it. Seems maybe it is.

Ian
25th September 2006 05:56 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Is this, infact the Stones first legitimately classified power ballad? Think about it. Seems maybe it is.

Whats a 'legitimately classified power ballad' when its at home?
25th September 2006 11:06 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Whats a 'legitimately classified power ballad' when its at home?

It's all about status, you know. All those illegitimate, unclassified power ballads out there in the song orphanages of the world, their hopes and dreams crushed by cruelmarms and pumped full of swelling strings by nefarious, unsanitary song doctors, and then there's legitimately classified power ballads, in their posh partments of privelege, on 80s compilations, at proms, getting it on in the backs of limosines . . .

Classist society! Let the little weepy dreamy unpowerful ballads have their day! A modest ballad has just as much right in society as an alpha ballad.

Let us all fill the streets of love full of tears for the aspirant power ballad, who always looks in at the slow dance at the party, but never gets a spin. It knows how sharp the thorn on every rose.

25th September 2006 12:04 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Jair wrote:

yup. Mine is very sweet and friendly, except with strange people and children. Then he barks alot. Now that Spring started here, he's with some little health problems... something to do with flowers and the kind of threes we have here. I'll take him to the vet tomorrow...

Lhasas have a tendency towards allergies. My mom's dog Meko (Micro Skeli) had them bad. The vet gave him steriods - but it made him fat.

25th September 2006 12:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh fuck Nasty, but that was genius.

>this non-commercial, non pop oeriented disc<

Well, it's only non-commercial because it's not a very good album. A Bigger Bang was crafted to be a commercial success, of that there can be no question. The only reason that it tanked was because there were not enough good songs on it. Simple as that. It IS a non-commercial album, but it was conceived by the band to be a HUGE commercial album.

If A Bigger Bang isn't Adult Contemporary Pop music...what the fuck is it? It sure as shit ain't Rock n Roll. Lemme rephrase that...it sure as shit doesn't fit into MY interpretation of Rock n Roll(and my interpretation is pretty damn inclusive!). The only song that I can see as NOT being classified as "pop" is Back of my Hand. Even Rough Justice and ONNYA are fairly pop oriented songs. It mystifies me as to how anyone could think that this is anything OTHER than Pop.

Here's my theory folks. I think Ian is from another planet. That's why he disappears for extended periods of time...he goes back to his home planet. He is probably teaching his leadership about earth culture so that their advance force can try to assimilate themselves into our society. Then when the invasion comes the alien 5th Column will shed their human guises and attack our infrastructure, clearing the way for the main invasion force.

But I do not despair. He's obviously getting it wrong, and their nefarious plan will fail because of it.

25th September 2006 12:18 PM
Bloozehound Ha ha! the stones are doing power ballads and INXs songs, who would of ever thought they'd sink to this level

the only good thing I can say about ABB, SOL and all the rest of it is that it made me realize why the Stones have taken so long put out another album, because they've got nothing left to say

25th September 2006 12:23 PM
Saint Sway WTF?!?!?!!! why are people here even bothering to contemplate these lyrics???? WHY?? WHY???

horrendous!

please go listen to Beggars Banquet ASAP
25th September 2006 01:00 PM
Sir Stonesalot Stop living in the past Sway!

This ain't the 60's! Those days are over. You can't expect men of their age to craft great songs, or to play well. You just have to accept it, and love whatever shit they serve up for you. Put on a blindfold, and pinch your nose...it doesn't taste nearly as bad if you swallow it that way.

But make sure you lay a big fat wad of cash out for the corporation before you eat that shit up. I mean, there is a lot of costs involved in making shit of that quality. And then there are all of the backing shitters that need paid too. We can't forget about the backing shitters. We need more header pics of the backing shitters!
25th September 2006 01:04 PM
Saint Sway SS, I'm well aware that the Stones glory days are well behind them.

I dont expect them to be able to recreate any of their great albums anymore

I also dont expect to see a thread discussing the putrid lyrics of Mick's latest pop ballad.

even............ from Ian.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)