ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks thanks John Wood
Rogers Centre, Toronto September 26, 2005
© 2005 John Wood!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Neil Young interview in Time magazine Return to archive
September 26th, 2005 07:16 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Too long to cut 'n paste so..........
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1109363,00.html
September 26th, 2005 08:13 AM
corgi37 Nice article. He usually seems surly to me, but he came over pretty sweet.
September 26th, 2005 08:42 AM
Gazza Bought the new album "Prairie Wind" this morning and listening to it now

Big thumbs-up. His best and most consistent collection of songs since "Ragged Glory" IMO
September 26th, 2005 09:46 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Bought the new album "Prairie Wind" this morning and listening to it now

I'm going to buy it this coming weekend, along with ABB, possibly the Dylan DVD, depending on cash flow.
September 26th, 2005 10:51 AM
Lazy Bones Prairie Winds' release date (for NA) is perfect - day after I see the Stones so I'm off work for the morning. Great timing to pick up PW and Dylan's DVD.
September 26th, 2005 11:03 AM
Martha
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Prairie Winds' release date (for NA) is perfect - day after I see the Stones so I'm off work for the morning. Great timing to pick up PW and Dylan's DVD.

Lazy can you email me the article not the link in full? I cannot open it to read...dial-up sucks! No rush i know you are a busy boy today!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

xxoo,
Martha
September 26th, 2005 11:09 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Martha wrote:

Lazy can you email me the article not the link in full? I cannot open it to read...dial-up sucks! No rush i know you are a busy boy today!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

xxoo,
Martha

Sent!

It's a 4-page article. You'll see where the page breaks are...

September 26th, 2005 11:25 AM
time is on my side Here's a review of Neil's new album from all music guide- they gave it 3 1/2 stars but, as in all things, you should be your own guide.

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Since Prairie Wind is a return to the soft, lush country-rock sound of Harvest; since Neil Young suffered a brain aneurysm during its recording; since it finds the singer/songwriter reflecting on life and family in the wake of his father's death; and since it's his most cohesive album in a decade, it would seem that all these factors add up to a latter-day masterpiece for Young, but that's not quite the case. Prairie Wind manages to be less than the sum of its parts and the problem isn't a lack of good songs (although it does have a few more clunkers than it should) or a botched concept. Young's decision to revive the country-rock that brought him his greatest popularity never feels like a cynical move — the music is too warm, comfortable, and friendly to feel like anything but Neil playing to his strengths. However, since he cut this in Nashville with a bunch of studio pros including legendary keyboardist Spooner Oldham, it feels just a tad slicker than perhaps it should, since the smooth sound inadvertently highlights the sentimentality of the project. It's hard to begrudge Young if he wants to indulge in rose-colored memories — a brush with death coupled with a loss of a parent tends to bring out sentimentality — but such backward-gazing songs as "Far from Home" feel just a hair too close to trite, and the easy-rolling nature of the record doesn't lend them much gravity. There a few other songs that tend toward too close to the simplistic, whether it's the specific invocations of 9/11 and Chris Rock on "No Wonder" or the supremely silly Elvis salute "He Was the King," which are just enough to undermine the flow of the album, even if they fit into the general autumnal, reflective mood of the record. But since they do fit the overall feel of the album, and since they're better, even with their flaws, than the best songs on, say, Silver & Gold or Broken Arrow or Are You Passionate?, they help elevate the whole of Prairie Wind, particularly because there are some genuinely strong Young songs here: the moody opener "The Painter," the gently sighing "Fallin' off the Face of the Earth," the ethereal "It's a Dream," the sweet, laid-back "Here for Your," the understated "This Old Guitar" (there's also the sweeping "When God Made Me," recorded complete with a gospel chorus, one that will either strike a listener as moving or maudlin — a latter-day "A Man Needs a Maid," only not as strong). This set of songs does indeed make Prairie Wind a better album than anything Young has released in the past decade, which means that it's easy to overrate it. For despite all of its strengths, neither the recording nor the songs are as memorable or as fully realized as his late-'80s/early-'90s comeback records — Freedom, Ragged Glory, and Harvest Moon — let alone his classic '70s work. Nevertheless, it's the closest Young has come to making a record that could hold its own with those albums in well over a decade, which means it's worthwhile even if it's never quite as great as it seems like it could have been.

Tracks

1 The Painter
2 No Wonder
3 Falling Off of the Face of the Earth
4 Far from Home
5 It's a Dream
6 Prairie Wind
7 Here for You
8 This Old Guitar
9 He Was the King
10 When God Made Me

[Edited by time is on my side]
September 26th, 2005 11:41 AM
Martha
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

Sent!

It's a 4-page article. You'll see where the page breaks are...

Good Lord! That was faster than the speed of ROCK! LOL Thank you so much Lazy! You are a doll.

xxxxxxxxxxooooooooooooo,
Martha Mellencamp!
September 26th, 2005 01:22 PM
stonesmik Does anyone recall the interview with Keith Richards around 1988 where he said he can't stand the music of Neil Young, especially since the guy cannot play a guitar without making grimaces.
September 26th, 2005 01:36 PM
marko Damn,can´t get the cd before wednesday.
September 26th, 2005 07:42 PM
Gazza
quote:
stonesmik wrote:
Does anyone recall the interview with Keith Richards around 1988 where he said he can't stand the music of Neil Young, especially since the guy cannot play a guitar without making grimaces.

never seen that one myself. Incredibly stupid reason to dislike someone's music if its true.

Does Keith ever have anything good to say about anyone who's both white and younger than him?
September 26th, 2005 07:48 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Does Keith ever have anything good to say about anyone who's both white and younger than him?

Almost never. It's incredibly tacky and beyond ungenerous. The one exception I came across was Norah Jones - but even then it was in a snarky context. "I'd give her one," is what he said, if memory serves.
September 26th, 2005 10:19 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Gazza wrote:

"White drummers don't swing, except for Charlie Watts".
September 26th, 2005 11:27 PM
Brainbell Jangler Great interview! Where can I get me one of them biodiesel Hummers? And wouldn't you love to hear a tape of a Mynah Birds cover of the Stones?
September 27th, 2005 01:02 AM
corgi37 I do recall that i/w with Keith about Neil. He said something also about the Stones being too heavy and if not careful, could end up sounding like Neil Young. I'd say the i/v was circa 94.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)