ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks thanks John Wood
Rogers Centre, Toronto September 26, 2005
© 2005 John Wood!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Through Irish eyes..a Zoom&SonicBoom ABB Review! Return to archive
September 23rd, 2005 08:42 PM
IrelandCalling4 *THE ZOOM & SONIC BOOM GAZETTE*

Page 1: "Rolling Stones Album Review"
Page 2: Kissin' the Blarney stone: The Do's & Do Not's Of..
Page 3: Pottery for Pot-Heads,a sociological & ceramics experiment

Page 1---My 'two cents' on the NEW album!!

Been reading,perusing & pondering a wealth of reviews of late,and,everyone else had a go at reviewing & adding thier thoughts,so,here be another Two-Cents on the NEW stones opus...

The Rolling stones return with a great album,and my oh my,I knew they had it in them !

::-- "Rough Justice" opens the album with a bang(a bigger bang if you will^*), all rousing guitars,fabulous licks, delicious lyrics and a thrilling Charlie Watts beat that brings back memories of stones classics such as 'Brown Sugar' and 'Rocks Off'. Wonderful opening,and,what a song! Wow,I simply love it. You can't help but strut like Jagger & groove along to Keith's riffs while this one plays. Top Marks *

::-- I quote from a review,"the irresistible funk juggernaut" that is 'Rain Fell Down'. An absolute favourite,this one simply cooks! Funky,catchy riff to go with Jagger's urban decay lyrics,excellent! So groovalistic!

::-- After the funk comes the blues---"Back Of My Hand" is supreme,it ain't Muddy Waters,it ain't Howlin' Wolf... It's brand new stones* Mick on slide guitar, harmonica and vocals,Keith on a cutting bluesy guitar,this one is a gem.

Over the last 40+ years the stones have done some of the most beautiful ballads,musically & lyrically touching,and,with this new album we get 2 of thier finest---

::-- What can I say about "Laugh I Nearly Died?"? Exquisite song,the way it builds,the a-capella chant at the end.."Wondering who's gonna be my guide"...fabulous track,one of the stones' best. As excellent as it is,Keith's romantic'n'passionate "This Place is Empty" equals it with a haunting melody, atmospheric feel & a touching Mick & Keith duet on the chorus. Quality stuff indeed

::-- Mr. Ronnie Wood comes out to shine with his searing leads on the frantic "Look What The Cat Dragged In". This one,along with "She Saw Me Coming" are vintage stones. The chant-along chorus of "She Saw.." is simply addictive stuff,complete with a saucy Jagger lyric & some raucous guitars. It's only rock'n'roll,but,by gosh & golly I love it*

::-- "Oh No Not You Again", like "Cat Dragged In" is full of Jagger at his insolent & dark-humourist best,full of great lines,thundering drums courtesy of Mr. Watts & some of Keith's most blazing guitars. To be played loud !!

::-- "Streets Of Love" & "Sweet Neo Con", two slices of current stones that maybe had the fans divided. I for one feel "Streets" is great stuff. Sure,it echoes Jagger's solo "Brand New Set Of Rules",and has some cliched lyrics,but,for the most part,it's a convincing and very lovely melody. The more I hear it the more i love it. Commercial,yes,but,it goes very well with "This Place.." and "Laugh.." as a trio of varied & quality ballads.

::-- "Sweet Neo Con" reminds me of that wonderful outtake from the late '70's--"Jah Is Not Dead", with Mick's order,to perhaps a fellow rolling stone--"if you want to do Coke,do it in the other room" Sonically a winner,some tasy & exotic sounding harmonica with funky/reggae guitars. Different,but rewarding. Lyrics aimed squarely at George bush could've been a wee bit better,packed more sting & punch,but,soundwise,it's a good 'un.

::-- "Infamy,infamy,they all have it in for me"^^ The ghost of 'Carry On' Kenneth Williams surely inspired the title of this ditty. This one really comes alive when Mick's harmonica comes in in the 2nd verse,magic.

::-- "Dangerous Beauty", along with some primitive,back-to-absolute-basics, Fred-Flintstone-era riffs,packs another current political punch,and,has some tasty leads from Keith(or is it Ronnie?). Grew on me something wicked

Those would be my 12 keepers,and in those,you have a stones album of such quality,it's on par with past masters like "Tattoo You" and "Some Girls". Who'd have thought the boys could sound this good,this groovy and this relevant in 2005*

::-- Growing on me,in particular,from the other 4 tracks is "Biggest Mistake" has some of Jagger's most personal & introspective lyrics,and a great melody.

A feast of music,16 tracks to discover and come to know,with a very high standard indeed,with the cream of the crop being as good as the band have ever been*

Abu! (Woohoo!),

Oyasumi & (for those in a diff. time zone--)--Ohayou Gozaimasu
September 24th, 2005 01:27 AM
glencar I too like SOL. Nay, I love it!
September 24th, 2005 06:43 AM
jaymze Good work, Ireland Calling4. listened to the CD again yesterday after not hearing it for a few weeks. still mighty rockin stuff. hope to see you over in glasgow if they turn up here next summer!
".....cant stop to talk -we're going to the stones!"

and yes glencar, it is indeed a good album. will i meet you in the audience in dublin again like i did when the stones played the point in sept 03?! hope to do so when they rock croke park next summer!
September 24th, 2005 10:48 AM
glencar I will be at Dublin if the timing is right, Jamie! I'm going to Hershey a week from now.
September 24th, 2005 09:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
jaymze wrote:
and yes glencar, it is indeed a good album. will i meet you in the audience in dublin again like i did when the stones played the point in sept 03?! hope to do so when they rock croke park next summer!

they will be playing Dublin in 2006 from what I hear, but it seems that despite the rumours it wont be at Croke Park

I dont think theyve a chance in hell of coming anywhere near to selling out a stadium that size (80,000!) in a country that size at those prices. The crap sales in Ireland of the new album wont help either.

The Point would be good again, but if its outdoors maybe the smaller Marlay Park might be a more likely venue (its been used for several concerts over the last couple of years)
September 25th, 2005 05:19 PM
IrelandCalling4 Greetings Jaymze!

What are doing neglecting the KISS message boards and arriving here in stones-land??^^ Gene Simmons should know about this,and,I should be the one to tell him..!! Well,after buying his book in Tralee last year at a discount price,I'm sure he's peeved enough..better not add insult to injury and reveal your defection from the KISS camp^^

Point Depot--Gazza,I HOPE they play there again! I mean,how many chances do we have to see the stones indoors,at a small-ish venue! I'm praying for another 2 nights at the Point instead of a 'Marlay Park' or a show at Croker. Their 'Licks' shows indoors in the UK & here were incredible. Right up the front,it was something magical.

Mick,Keef..if you're listening...please play the Point again!!!!
September 27th, 2005 05:26 AM
jaymze guys,
as long as they play somewhere in Ireland again then i'll be happy -even if its Irelands newest rockin mecca: Killarneys INEC!! ye can all come to stay at my brothers house!

after the positive reaction they the Stones got in Dublin in 03 im sure that they know they would be welcome. but it is an interesting note that the album hasnt performed as well as it has in other european markets. but thats often the way with older groups with Irish record sales -they might not rip up the charts but the concerts usually sell very well (over the last few years older artists like Fleetwood Mac, Kraftwerk, Bowie and Diana Ross have all sold out or had multiple sold out shows in Dublin without much interest in new material or chart placings). i reckon if the stones were promoted properly then they could sell a lot of tickets during the summer. will wait and see with anticipation.

and irelandcalling4 -i have not deserted KISS! NEVER!!!!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)