ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From Kalingrad with love... Thanks Irina
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Godard's 'Sympathy for the Devil' Set for DVD Return to archive
09-24-03 07:27 AM
caro Godard's 'Sympathy for the Devil' Set for DVD
Tue Sep 23, 5:54 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - French director Jean-Luc Godard's 1968 film "Sympathy for the Devil," an avant-garde work best known for its in-studio footage of the Rolling Stones working on their song of the same name, is coming out on DVD on Oct. 21, a spokesman said on Tuesday.

Rights to the film are owned by the Stones' former label, ABKCO Records, which recently has been busy releasing the group's "40 Licks" retrospective in partnership with Virgin Records, as well as a series of "Sympathy" remixes by various hot-shot producers. A source said the group's "Rock and Roll Circus" TV special is expected to be issued on DVD sometime next year.

The "Sympathy for the Devil" DVD, which incorporates high-definition transfers from the original negatives, will include the original trailer and a contemporary "Sympathy" video clip cut to the remix from producing duo the Neptunes, the spokesman said.

The film, an examination of western counter-culture, features frequent cuts to London's Olympic Studios, where singer Mick Jagger (news) was leading his bandmates through a recording of "Sympathy," a rock epic steeped in historical and philosophical references. As Godard's cameras roll, the song starts off as a country ditty and ends up as a samba rhythm.

"We just happened to be recording that song," Jagger told Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner in 1995. "We could have been recording (the obscure 1967 album track) 'My Obsession.' But it was 'Sympathy for the Devil,' and it became the track that we used."

The Rolling Stones are currently on the road in Europe with four dates left on their year-long "Licks" world tour. Rumors that they will play China and Hong Kong in November remain unconfirmed.

Now this is great news! I don't know what it's like in the US, but in France, it's almost impossible to see this movie. I saw it only once, and it's probably one of the best films about the Stones (although you see them only about a third of the time).
Godard is not only a very intelligent (and btw, sometimes quite funny) filmmmaker, he also has a great sense for beautiful and intricate images.
The other thing that struck me in this film was how Keith looks so completely "at home" in the studio, smiling all the time...
Ha! Where do I get a dvd player, now?
09-24-03 08:21 AM
steel driving hammer Is this version the one thats already been available on VHS for years?
09-24-03 08:41 AM
stonedinaustralia caro - i've sen it the once too

you have to see it all (not just the stones' parts) to see the sense of it but

yes - it is keith at the top of his game - who's that man on the bass guitar? and who's that girl on the backing vox?- and despite mick's ingenuosity (sp.?)the song was made for it

see the master and margarita - chapter 1 - "never talk to strangers" - much less take candy from them...
09-24-03 08:43 AM
padre I hope they'll have unreleased footage of the Stones for the DVD. And lots of it! I had real difficulties staying awake during the non-Stones stuff a couple of years ago when I saw the film in a theater in Finland.
09-24-03 08:46 AM
steel driving hammer It will be on sale at Amazon on 10/21 for only $13 buckaroos.

Pretty sure it'l have some extra features.
09-24-03 09:04 AM
caro sia : yes, the stones, boulgakov and godard definitely had to meet, somehow. They all have this sense of building a strikingly beautiful image, while tearing it up and ridiculing it at the same time.. uh, hard to explain.

steel, how much is a buckerro in eurros??
09-24-03 09:34 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
caro wrote:
.. uh, hard to explain.

yes and padre is right - let's see the out-takes
09-24-03 04:43 PM
marko its bloody boring movie.why not REWIND or Lets spend-the 81
tour film?
09-24-03 04:47 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
marko wrote:
its bloody boring movie.why not REWIND or Lets spend-the 81
tour film?

Their saving the Best (81-82), for last..................!
09-24-03 07:39 PM
mac_daddy does the band have much to say about it? I thought AbCKO enjoyed doing whatever struck their fancy with the Stones' stuff that they have control over, regardless of what the boys in the band think...

I have no idea why Ashby's film isn't released properly on DVD - maybe Criterion is working on it (they did a first-rate job with Gimme Shelter)...

I thought Rock n Roll Circus already was out; I also believe there is a companion CD available.