ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From Kalingrad with love... Thanks Irina
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why Mick Taylor quit the Jack Bruce Band Return to archive
09-23-03 12:33 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Only Mick can quit this way

Posted by Axel Schumacher at the SW5 list

"Just released in a german Music mag (Good Times-5/2003):
Interview with Jack Bruce
Question 6:
Old Times: What was the reason for the failure in 1975's
band with Carla Bley and Mick Taylor ?

Answer: It was only and solely Mick Taylor - he decided to
leave the band, exactly on the day, when the band packed
their things to go to the studio. My manager called me and
told me about Mick's refusal. All felt apart, and I was
never forgiving Mick. Carla Bley and drummer Bruce Gary
extra flew in for this from the USA.

I think that it was true but Mick had a strong reason to make it as Jack was always managing the whole thing as JACK THE ONLY ONE, his ego was bigger than everything, even the name of the band talks by itself

Jack was luck to work with Eric, without him he would be a loser, why a better guitar player than Eric must be the second in his band, the band name must be "The Mick taylor Band featuring Jack Bruce and Carla Bley"
09-23-03 12:34 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I made today this space, about how it was formed, click the image and rock!

09-23-03 07:09 AM
Doxa Thatīs great (although a bit dated) news! You know if you have guts enough to leave the Greatest R&R Band on The World it wonīt take a few minutes to leave some goddamn Jack Bruce! It was just a logical and consistent move. Just to think Bruce starting to bullying and Taylor thinking "Jeez, I've just been with people like Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.."

You know, I used to wonder how on Earth someone would leave the Stones to join Jack Bruce Band. What an stupid asshole I thought, but news makes me feel better.

Doxa
09-23-03 04:22 PM
Tom Great stories, any audio clip? How they sounded?
09-23-03 09:18 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I like a lot their sound, the influence of Jack is bigger than Mick's.

later I will post an audio clip
09-23-03 11:20 PM
FPM C10 I went to a local blues hangout's weekly open-mike night a few weeks ago and there was a guy there who looked just like Jack Bruce and played a bass just like Jack Bruce's and dressed just like Jack Bruce and drove a friggin' CAR just like Jack Bruce's from what I understand. He also has an EGO the size of Jack Bruce's and once he started playing he never let any other bass players on the bandstand. I was there to film, not play, so I didn't care, although he was a total ass about wanting to know WHY I was filming - so I made sure I never pointed the camera at him. Anyway, my buddy Mitch got up to play a Muddy Waters song - and Mitch can REALLY play Muddy Waters songs - and this Jack(bruce)ass played jackbruce-style lead bass in the wrong friggin' key, louder than anyone else. It was HIDEOUS. When it was over, I said to Mitch: "Well, I always wondered what "Standin' Around Cryin'" woulda sounded like if it was on Wheels Of Fire. Now I know." None of the other people standing around smoking the joint with us got the reference, which was good, because I meant it as an INSULT.

Jack Bruce is a great example of everything a bass player should NOT be, in my humble bass-playing opinion. Everything horribly over-played, and no connection between the bass and drums at ALL.

If he had stayed within the confines of jazz I coulda hacked it, but that noise Cream made gave birth to a TON of worthless noodling power trios, and shit all over the blues while claiming to respect it. Their version of "I'm So Glad" bears no resemblance to the great Skip James, for instance, and even though their version of "Crossroads" was my introduction to Robert Johnson, it is still a travesty.

Having vented my spleen over Jack Bruce, I gotta say the circumstances of Mick "The Quitter" quitting are hilarious because they sound oddly familiar... wonder if he quit playing with Dylan in the same manner?

(The solid facts about Jack Bruce sucking stated above are only the opinion of one old monkey.)