ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From Kalingrad with love... Thanks Irina
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: My Band's First Show! (NSC) Return to archive
09-20-03 09:47 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Yessss, folks, The Thames, the primier rock'n'roll band of the area, working on finding a good sound on cover tunes and on writin' some originals simultaneously, had their first official gig with all members last night (a few earlier gigs were missing our other singer and pianist and weren't more than a few songs anyway).

THE SETLIST:

INTRO: Smells Like Teen Spirit (Crazy Loose Jam)
In The Flesh?/Another Brick In The Wall (all parts)
Can't Stop
Time*
(random jam song)
Layla*
Comfortably Numb
All Along The Watchtower*
B-STAGE: Let It Be*
B-STAGE: Hey Jude*
B-STAGE: Sympathy For The Devil*
Knocking On Heaven's Door
Sweet Child O' Mine*
ENCORE: Foxy Lady

* - tSYX lead vocals

As our audience filed into the small room, some young girls who'd been watching us rehearse begged us to play some Nirvana, so we jokingly launched into a really hard-edged version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" without the vocals as our second guitarist set up. We kicked off with a stunning version of "In The Flesh?" (that's the version without the fascist roars at the end) that segued instantly into all three parts of "Another Brick In The Wall" arranged in a seamless fashion. The crowd went nuts. I introduced the band, and we wung (past tense of wing) it from there.

The show faltered through a lackluster version of "Time" that was redeemed by a loose jam tune whose name I don't know (It sounds like it might be one of those Phish songs that would go on for forty-five minutes if we weren't smart enough to A: have a good bass line and B: stop it before it gets boring). A tight version of "Layla" was played next but it wasn't our best, but again we were redeemed by a fantastic "Comfortably Numb" and a positively unstoppable cover of "All Along The Watchtower" that was the best thing to happen to rock'n'roll since Hendrix's version. No joke.

We moved to what I jokingly called "the B-Stage", which involved me on accoustic piano, and our second guitarist switching over to bass. A decent rendition of "Let It Be" was quickly outdone by a jaw-droppingly wonderful version of "Hey Jude". Since the most I've been able to weasel out of my mostly psychadelic-based band is some harder Bob Dylan, I was thrilled that they went along with "Sympathy For The Devil", which ended in a set of killer solos and some beautiful audience participation.

"Knocking On Heaven's Door" was a little rough around the edges - the last time the band played it, only two of our current members were in it - but we got through it to "Sweet Child", which we hadn't played for about a year. I gave it everything, blew out my voice but managed to make it through. That left us home free as we wailed through "Foxy Lady", which we'd only really gotten our arms around yesterday. It was flooring, but also rewarding to know that we really had it. By that time, most of our audience was wiped, as were we (it was a small group, and folks slid in and out, but it was a group ne'ertheless), so we smiled and went home, to rave reviews.

I told them we had to learn "Jumping Jack Flash" next. And that after we learned it, we could only do three shows in which we didn't play it.

-tSYX --- I was drowned, I was washed up and left for dead...
09-21-03 12:59 AM
rogerriffin any pic??? when you start a world tour? please if you do, visit méxico and rock here!!!
09-21-03 06:33 AM
luxury1 Savage!! Congrats!--It sounds like a killer set list. SO diverse! I couldnt get enough of G&R when they first exploded on the scene. Sweet Child is such a classic. Good choice. I bet you sounded awesome on lead vox. So tell me, did the girls dance? And did you get any parking lot action after the gig?
09-22-03 11:10 AM
jb Your set list, particularly your lead vocals, explains a lot about your Beatles orientation. I always suspected that you were a bigger Beatles fan and this substantiated my worst fears.
09-23-03 02:31 PM
jb I'm sorry for the lack of response to your post TSXY...people here are probably turned off by your inclusion of Beatles songs....you may get a better response on Keno's John Lennon site....take care..
09-23-03 03:06 PM
L&A Congratulations to you, TheSavageYoungXyzzy, and to the Thames ! Nice setlist. Any MP3 available ?
09-23-03 03:09 PM
jb I'm glad I was able to attract some attention to your post TYSXY....
09-24-03 11:41 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
jb wrote:
I'm sorry for the lack of response to your post TSXY...people here are probably turned off by your inclusion of Beatles songs....you may get a better response on Keno's John Lennon site....take care..

Aww, jb, you know I love nothing more than to talk with you on various trivial non-Stones issues, but you can't bait me about the Beatles, sir!

I do want to say thank you for the attention you attracted! I'll tell the guys that you loved the inclusion of the Beatles tunes and that it "attracted attention".

We are working on "Live And Let Die", "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Get Back" for inclusion in the rotation, just so you know. I sing all of 'em.

In other news, "Sympathy" went to number one based on the purchase of ten copies.

Twenty-five people attended our show.

We played "Sympathy".

Perhaps they thought it was good enough to buy...

Just remember, jb, a Beatles fan kept the Stones at #1!

-tSYX --- Well I'm finding it harder to be a gentleman...
09-25-03 12:33 AM
parmeda Congrats Xyzzy!
You MUST make a recording of one of your shows and send it to jb...really, you must! He's a lot of blab...but I'm sure he would cherish the disc from you (secretly, of course...but non-the-less, he'd be proud of you).