ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From Kalingrad with love... Thanks Irina
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Manchester Evening News Arena 5/9/03 - Setlist, Pics And Reviews Return to archive
09-05-03 05:59 PM
Gazza Street Fighting Man
Start me up
if you cant rock me
dont stop
sweet virginia
ycagwyw
paint it black
You got me rocking
Tumbling dice
slipping away
happy
sympathy for the Devil
Honky tonk women
Cant you hear me knockin'
Satisfaction
mannish Boy (b-stage)
iorr (b-stage)
Brown sugar (b-stage)
Jumpin' jack Flash (encore)

Thanks to Billyboll for the phone call. He said it was another excellent show,even though the sound was a bit muddy at times in such a large barn of an arena. highlights were a very nice 'sweet virginia' and "Ycagwyw"
09-05-03 06:12 PM
steel driving hammer Not bad...
09-05-03 06:29 PM
Flashpoint It seems to me or the arena setlist become a stadium setlist plus if you can't rock me?
By the way thanks for the people who keep us informed as soon as they can
09-05-03 06:44 PM
kath sweet virginia!!! gin??? are you paying attention here, dearie? this one's for you!!

nice. nice to see sweet virginia and ycagwyw there....
09-05-03 08:01 PM
*ginda Yes, Kath. THAT one must have been for me...
09-06-03 10:24 AM
montana some pix here:

http://www.lfi.co.uk/scripts/kws30pre.exe?site=LFI&picktype=GfxOnly&type=GfxOnly&maxhits=12&FLFA_FIELD=&SEARCH_FILTERA=&search=LFLON+003198&hmessage=THE%20ROLLING%20STONES%20PLAY%20THE%20MANCHESTER%20EVENING%20NEWS%20ARENA&submit=lsearch
09-06-03 07:46 PM
glencar I hope they mix the setlist up a bit over the next 6 days.
09-07-03 08:30 AM
hotlicks Well jaggerlips how was your first stones gig-you promised us a review??
09-07-03 12:30 PM
scully Was a great show imo, it was the 4th Licks show I've seen (MSG, Paris, Utrecht) and was my favourite Arena show out of these.

Sound was fine where we were, except the B stage was a bit quiet. Crowd was really into it too, though there were a few puzzled faces for Sweet Virginia and Keith's set.

Highlights for me were Sweet Virginia, YCAGWYW, HTW (which is my favourite song ever - and as they missed it out at Paris and Vrendenberg I was starting to take it personally!). Can't You Hear Me Knocking was great, Mick played some great harp and Ronnie seemed spot on to me. Paint it Black and JJF were played with real fire.

Keith's set was cool - He had his guitar down by his side for most of Slipping Away, which is a novel approach I guess, Happy was perfectly sloppy.

Tumbling Dice was huge, with nice backing vocals too. Mick got it on with Lisa in HTW, quite rude! A large looking bra hit the stage too.

Two nutcases 'invaded' the stage in JJF, security were a bit slow in dealing with them as well, but fortunately there were just over excited fans, nothing sinister.

Security going in was non-existent, so there should be some audience tapes at least. If anyone has one, please tree it.

Wembley next Saturday, and that's all for me, boo-hoo.

Scully.
09-07-03 02:56 PM
Heathener Does anyone have those photos from the London Features website? After splashing out £320 for a pair of tickets for me and my mum (i`m only a lowly student) I`m totally broke.

[email protected]
09-07-03 04:32 PM
UGot2Rollme This was my third show of the tour, and highlights were Sweet Virginia, CYHMK *killer solos by Ronnie and Mick, and blistering solo by Keith at the end of Satisfaction, Keith seemed particularly ON all night. Lowpoint was Mick singing the first verse of Paint it Black in a different key, running back in panic to check it with Chuck, after that, though it was a pretty hot version in an arena that was also pretty hot; all fans off their seats for the entire show, as far as I could tell.

The ultimate highlight for me, though came on the B stage, where I was only a few feet away from Keith, during IORR he smiled his sly smile, grinned and mouthed the words "but I love it". That man is rock and roll.
09-08-03 04:57 AM
Zeeta Whoooo - still recovering!
Yeah it was a debut for me!!!
Loved it - drank a little too much but y'know you gotta! Ronnie was fairly quiet at the start and could be seen trying to turn the volume up on hos Strat! During Paint it Black I went over to the mixing desk and told the hack there to "turn Ronnie up!" he gave me the "Opera" "talk to the hand 'cos the face ain't listening" shit, so I gave him the Vs and walked off! Ronnie nailed the solo on CYHMK great stuff. The tool finally turned him up a bit!
I was a few feet away from the B-stage and this was or should I say could have been the highlight! But they played 3 songs I that aint that good to me. Mannish Boy, IORR + BS! Compared to what they could have played - Miss You, Respectable and MR! That was my only bitch the setlist.
ALSO what happened to album themed gigs in the ARENAS??!!
Maybe they just can't be bothered.
What made me laugh was the fact that we were not allowed to smaoke in the arena! Some stupid marshall telling us to doc our cigs when Keith and Ronnie are sparking up on stage! Pissed myself laughing and the marshall just allowed us to have a toke in the end!
Highlights - CYHMK, Dice was great amazing vocals by the mighty fine Lisa! Happy - solid performance, Keith mandatory "it's good to be here, anywhere!" then muttered something about "al fresco yeah hi!" or something - anyone else hear it?

All in all a great night, I aint in a position to compare as I only just lost my virginity and I wish I'd lost it earlier!

Cheers

Matt
09-08-03 06:40 AM
stonedinaustralia

zeeta, glad to read your review and that you had a time...

excellent work re the soundman - that's the spirit!!
09-08-03 06:48 AM
dealer squealing Great, Zeeta congratulations
Cool that you told the mixing guy to turn Ronnie up.
09-08-03 07:29 AM
scully Zeeta, I think Keith said something about Frisco, and getting back there, this was after he appeared to recognise someone in the second row, his side. I was just up above them, so I think that's what it was about, but you can never be sure(!)
09-08-03 11:06 AM
Zeeta Cheers guys!
09-08-03 11:29 AM
jb This was your first RS concert Zeeta? How old are you?
09-09-03 04:17 AM
Zeeta
quote:
jb wrote:
This was your first RS concert Zeeta? How old are you?

Bonjour, JB yes this was my debut. I am 22 and missed out on B2B because of fuckin EXAMS - sucked. I was only 14 when Voodoo Lounge tour commenced and didn't make it! So it was a wonderful show for me. Here's to many more!
09-09-03 10:14 AM
jb Congrats...it is really quite thrilling to see them for the first time....
09-10-03 08:27 AM
JaggerLips OKAY HERE IS MY EXCUSE I HAVE NO INTERNET AT HOME SO I HAVE TO MAKE TO WITH INTERNET AT MY LIBRARY WHICH SOMETIMS DOESN'T WORK!! I TRIED ON MONDAY, STAYED AT HOME ON TUESDAY TO READ GORGE ORWELL'S '1984' FANTASTIC WHICH I READ IN A DAY! FANTASTIC BOOK SO NOW IT IS WEDNESDAY AND WITHOUT FURTHER ADO HERE IS MY REVIEW!

I am still in a state of disbelief I still can't get over the fact that I have seen the Stones live they rocked my world! I have to say that I wish that I was born in the 50's then I could be with them from the very start and I would have gone to a lot more shows by now, who knows what number concert the Manchester one would be?? Anyway at this moment I feel like crying, have felt like this since the Stones left the stage. Mick did things to me inside that just made me love him even more than I ever did, Ronnie was on it all night as well as Keith, Keith was really touching with his rendidtion of Slipping Away as was Mick with Sweet Virginia. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what do I write?? I was dancing practically all night and without knowing it was mimicking Mick's moves his sashaying and his twirly arms and hands, he was fantastic. Charlie on Paint it Black was great, Mick on Can you hear me Knocking on harmonica was a real treat as you don't get that on the album so now I want to get a live album, maybe this tour will have one.

Sympathy really go inside me you know? Mick was so on it during that song, I know he has sung it like over 1000 times now but he still sings it with the same amount of desperation that he always has!

Loved the introductions bit with Mick and him wearing that green hat, how I wished I was the the hat........
Anyway the 2 songs I haven't heard before were Mannish Boy which I thought sounded like Sway! and also If you can't rock me which is a terrific song.
Now I want to see them again so much it makes me want to cry! Incidently I have bought a huge poster with the Stones on it, it's a black and white little number and Keith looks scary as ever but now having gotten used to it on my bedroom wall he is scaring me less and less HAHAHAHAHA
God what can I say now?? Like I said at the start I wish I was born in a different era rather than in 1983! GRRRRRRRRRRRR Maybe in a past life I have been to many Stones shows and that's why in this life I love them so much??

By the way I am so jealous of Lisa Fisher and the way she got to dance with Mick, you should have seen the jealous look on my face!
At the end when they did JJ Flash some freaks from the crowd got on stage and luckily they were taken off by the stewards. I was scared for Keith as they got so close to him that is the only thing I really didn't like (ok I was jealous!)

Yes Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie defintely make me feel like a different person now, like thay have taken something away from me, metaphorically speaking my virginity, or was it metaphorically I don't know.

After the show coming home to Liverpool in the car I could swear I saw Charlie Watts in a stretch white limo just managed to see through the black tinted glass, he looked sad, but he always does and I was sad too that that might be the last time I get to see him and th e rest for real again but at least I have seen them now, nobody can take that away from me!
Do you think after this tour the Stones will tour again if so I definitely want to go see at least 2 shows!

AS AN AFTERTHOUGHT I SHOUTED OUT 'I LOVE YOU MICK' TO GET IT OUT OF MY SYSTEM, PITY I WASN'T ON THE GROUND BUT WAS SITTING IN THE GODS LOOKING DOWN ON THE STONES BUT HEY YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT HAHAHAHAHA
09-10-03 12:44 PM
LadyJane Oh...jaggerlips....what a great review!! You take me back to my first show...A LONG TIME AGO.

And as far as crying....I've seen them every tour since 1975, and I think I cry more NOW than before.

So glad you got to see them..I have a feeling this won't be the last time for you!!

LadyJ.
09-10-03 05:30 PM
UGot2Rollme Great Review Jagger Lips! I was there and you really brough it back to me. I thought Mick was dressed perfectly for Manchester as he opened in his working class green Jagger shirt. As you noted, the hat during introductions was straight on! Also, we did here a mellow version of Mannish Boy that you called as like "Sway" which I agree with. I wanted the hard El Macombo type Man Boy, but YCAGWYW, and it was nice mellow version that seemed to float....

Cheers!
09-10-03 07:36 PM
McQueen Jaggerlips, you're a sweetheart. The review a gem.

Peace.
09-15-03 07:30 AM
JaggerLips Hey guys I am so glad you luiked my review, pity it's full of stupid typing errors but understand I was excited writing it and had to get it out of my system!!

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

I will be going back to the MEN on 28th November to see Eddie Izzard! I got tickets from his manager (my second cousin;-) it's not what you know it's who you know haha) It willbe almost like going back to the scene of the crime and I will probably feel that the place still has the presence of the enigmatic Rolling Stones themselves and probably think "Can I hear Charlie Watts playing the drums? Hear Keith Richards singing Slipping Away? Ronnie playing his guitar solo on Can't You Hear Me Knocking? Of course Mick singing a melancholic version of Sympathy For the Devil?" I probably will think all of these things and deep inside smile and feel special:-)
Looking forward to Izzard though he is one of my fave comedians!!
09-20-03 08:03 PM
micawber Ronnie did steal the show with his solo at the end of CYHMK, but I got a better treat earlier on....

I was working with the support act, Tim Burgess at the MEN and got to watch Keith soundcheck the band in the afternoon.

They played(minus Mick)"you win again" with Keith singing one of his favourite country numbers,(they played it twice)then "tumbling dice" with Bernard Fowler singing lead, then onto the old B stage for it's only Rock'n'Roll.

Shine a light! I was a few feet from Keith and it was a fantastic moment with just a couple of the crew and a few security hanging about, but a very relaxed atmosphere, almost like having the Stones play in your front room!

Unbelievable.

Then Ronnie keith and Charlie walked back on to the main stage as we were setting up our equipment and said hello.

The same again happened at Wembley a week later..... a totally once in a lifetime experience.
09-21-03 03:01 PM
Gazza dont you mean a "twice in a lifetime experience" ?

Nice story - thanks
09-24-03 03:43 PM
jb "You make Joey masturbate".