ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Xcel Energy Center, Saint Paul, MN - 6th September 2005
© by and thanks to HurricaneJeanne @ Shidoobeeland!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Bigger Bang recording sessions, .....from Ian Return to archive
20th September 2007 02:50 AM
IanBillen
I was wondering if anyone has the dates and locations in which the A Bigger Bang recording and mixing sessions had taken place. Also the mastering of the album. If not is there a generalization to go by? (I know Micks place in France is where much of the recording and writing took place but not ALL of it)

Soldatti? Anything?

Ian Billen
20th September 2007 03:28 AM
glencar I thought you retired?
20th September 2007 07:38 AM
Gazza Hard to track down the recording data to any strong degree of accuracy due to the fact that they generally didnt record it in a conventional 'studio' which would have records and logs, but from Nico Zentgraf's "The Complete Works" :

(http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/works1.htm)

2004 :

November: Pocé sur Cisse, France, La Fourchette (MJ’s homestudio).
Producers: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins. 2 or 3 weeks of recording sessions.
Note: Probably without RW.

(Mick & Keith probably did some stuff together prior to that, while Charlie was recuperating)

2005 :
14th March onwards: Pocé sur Cisse, France, La Fourchette (MJ’s homestudio).
Producers: The Glimmer Twins & Don Was. Recording sessions for A Bigger Bang.
Additional musicians: Chuck Leavell (keyb), Darryl Jones (bass).

(Ronnie's solo show in London - where Mick guest starred - was on 13th March. As far as I know, he only played on sessions for a week or two following it)

6th - 28th June: Los Angeles, Ocean Way Recording Studios & The Village Recorder
('Rough Justice' only). Producers: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins. Overdubbing and
mixing of the upcoming studio album 'A Bigger Bang' (see 050905A). Incl.
- Back Of My Hand (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- Biggest Mistake I (MJ/KR) -early mix, longer than released version
- Biggest Mistake II (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- Biggest Mistake III (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- Biggest Mistake IV (MJ/KR) -Radio edit
- Dangerous Beauty I (MJ/KR) -early mix 1, longer than released version
- Dangerous Beauty II (MJ/KR) -early mix 2, longer than released version
- Dangerous Beauty III (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- Driving Too Fast I (MJ/KR) -early mix, longer than released version
- Driving Too Fast II (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- Don't Wanna Go Home I (MJ/KR) -early mix 1, longer than released version
- Don't Wanna Go Home II (MJ/KR) -early mix 2, longer than released version
- Don't Wanna Go Home III (MJ/KR) -early mix 3, longer than released version
- Don't Wanna Go Home IV (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang (Special Version)-version
- Infamy (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- It Won’t Take Long I (MJ/KR) -early mix 1, longer than released version
- It Won’t Take Long II (MJ/KR) -early mix 2, longer than released version
- It Won’t Take Long II (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- Laugh, I Nearly Died (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- Let Me Down Slow I (MJ/KR) -early mix 1, very close to the finished track
- Let Me Down Slow II (MJ/KR) -early mix 2, very close to the finished track
- Let Me Down Slow III (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- Look What The Cat Dragged In (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- Oh No, Not You Again I (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- Oh No, Not You Again II (MJ/KR) -clean version
- Rain Fall Down I (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- Rain Fall Down II (MJ/KR) -Radio edit
- Rain Fall Down III (MJ/KR) –will.i.am Remix
- Rain Fall Down IV (MJ/KR) –will.i.am Instrumental
- Rain Fall Down V (MJ/KR) –Ashley Beedle’s ‘Heavy Disco’ Radio Edit
- Rain Fall Down VI (MJ/KR) –Ashley Beedle’s ‘Heavy Disco’ Vocal Re-Edit
- Rain Fall Down VII (MJ/KR) –Ashley Beedle’s ‘Heavy Disco’ Dub Re-Edit
- Rough Justice (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- She Saw Me Coming I (MJ/KR) -early mix, longer than released version
- She Saw Me Coming II (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- Streets Of Love I (MJ/KR) -early mix, very close to the finished track
- Streets Of Love II (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- Streets Of Love III (MJ/KR) -radio edit
- Sweet Neo Con (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- This Place Is Empty (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang-version
- Under The Radar I (MJ/KR) -early mix, longer than released version
- Under The Radar II (MJ/KR) -A Bigger Bang (Special Version)-version

Havent got the CD to hand at the minute but I think it mentions a studio in St Kitts or something as well? (If so, presumably a home studio where keith could do some overdubs)

the alternate, unreleased versions were first circulated on this site earlier this year after I got them from a guy who had 'liberated' them from a computer file held in a storage facility his company were sharing with Sterling Sound Studios in New York in August 2005. The album was mastered from 29.6.05 - presumably that just took a couple of days.

Halup from IORR lives in LA and was the first outsider to hear any of the new album - on 28/6/05

Since Thursday, after a friend of mine discovered one of the studios being used by Mick and Keith to mix the new album, he and I have both been trying to meet Mick and Keith and get some albums and things signed. We had success on Friday night and Monday night in meeting Mick and tonight we met Keith and Don Was. Tonight was the final night of mixing, as told to us by Don Was. I asked him the release date and he said it should be September 6th (presumably Sept 5th in Europe), which goes along with what Mick told me on Friday when I asked him if it would be out in August. He said September as well.
Don left minutes after Keith and we talked to him as he walked to his car. After getting into his car, he rolled down the window and asked if we wanted to hear something. He played to us on cd the song he said they had just finished tonight which was called She Saw Me Coming. Before playing it he said "you're the first people in the world to hear this" (obviously outside studio staff and Mick and Keith themselves). The song sounded great. Vocals are prominent in the mix with Mick repeating the line "she saw me coming" throughout the song. The instruments were sharp in the mix without the production sounding too glossy. The guitars were prominent. He also said Oh No, Not You Again will not be the first single. He said the mastering of the album begins tomorrow (Wed June 29).

http://www.iorr.org/abb/index.htm

[Edited by Gazza]
20th September 2007 07:50 AM
gotdablouse thanks for digging out that quote, I remember reading it and getting all excited about SSMC...then I heard it ;-)

Here's another good link for the making of ABB http://www.timeisonourside.com/lpBang.html
20th September 2007 04:59 PM
Bitch Thanks Gazza, as always you are a wealth of information. And gotdabluse, I read that link too. Nice.
20th September 2007 06:01 PM
glencar How cool would that be to get to hear any new song by the Stones? And how sad would it be that it was She Saw Me Coming???
20th September 2007 06:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:
Thanks Gazza, as always you are a wealth of information.

Thanks, but I'm not the source!
20th September 2007 06:49 PM
gotdablouse That was certainly some great research, makes you a source of sorts ;-)

@glencar - yes, and having the balls to tell Don Was (who probably knows it) that it's a beneath the Stones to waste time on crap like that!

OT here, but I listened to B2B again this morning and there's no denying that it has a lot more depth, "color" and musicianship (thanks Waddy, M'shell, heck even Blondie plays some great bass on Low Down) overall than ABB. I still think that B2B is the best thing they did since Tattoo You and that one doesn't really cound since it was a best of the outtakes...that takes us back to...
20th September 2007 06:54 PM
glencar gotdablouse, I actually like ABB but SSMC is one of its weaker tracks. I also liked BTB. The only recent one that underwhelms me is VL. I just hope they work on something else.
20th September 2007 08:00 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
glencar wrote:
gotdablouse, I actually like ABB but SSMC is one of its weaker tracks. I also liked BTB. The only recent one that underwhelms me is VL. I just hope they work on something else.

Go figure. SSMC is one of my favorite cuts. Mick's ad libs during the fadeout ("took me for a dope," etc.) are extremely weak, but everything else -- Keith's intro; the first crack of Charlie's drums; the chanted chorus; the trace of Keith's scratch vocal you hear at 1:50 -- hits me like a sledgehammer.
20th September 2007 10:48 PM
IanBillen
Very Very nice digging and I thank you for that Gazza.

For me it is a direct, loud, harsh, up-front and basic album.

I didn't even know they could sound like that again in songs like Look What The Cat Dragged in, Dangerous Beauty, Rain Fall Down, Laugh I Nearly Died. So Eighties and up front.

The album got some balls you gotta give it that much.

I was thrilled.

Now I know a little more about where it all went down.

Thanks again and hope more comes to light about this album being as it is still not real public on the recording or writing of it. Kinda neat.

Ian
20th September 2007 11:22 PM
Soldatti She Saw Me Coming must be the most embarrasing Stones song along with Back To Zero and Sweet Neocon, it sounds like a third rate band trying the worst possible interpretation of a Stones' by the numbers song, horrible.
20th September 2007 11:43 PM
Zack Don't talk shit about She Saw Me Coming!
20th September 2007 11:51 PM
Some Guy ABB is sawing logs at 9am.
21st September 2007 03:53 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
ABB is sawing logs at 9am.

I think ABB has an "excitement" and "lively-ness" to it's sound that wasn't there on BTB (although that album wasn't meant to sound or run like ABB, granted). I think ABB has an "alive-ness" that has been kind-of hit and miss for a lot of years from Stones works.

Really I do not know how anyone can listen to it and think it is "blah" or "ho-hum". It is specifically produced to not sound that way and is designed to give a feel of quite the opposite and I think they hit the mark with that.

Ian
21st September 2007 04:15 AM
glencar
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Go figure. SSMC is one of my favorite cuts. Mick's ad libs during the fadeout ("took me for a dope," etc.) are extremely weak, but everything else -- Keith's intro; the first crack of Charlie's drums; the chanted chorus; the trace of Keith's scratch vocal you hear at 1:50 -- hits me like a sledgehammer.

U think it's the repititiveness that bugs me. Still & all, it's the Stones so I'll sing along with it when I hear it.
21st September 2007 07:55 AM
Gazza
quote:
Zack wrote:
Don't talk shit about She Saw Me Coming!

LOL
21st September 2007 08:03 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Very Very nice digging and I thank you for that Gazza.

No problem. Recommend you bookmark that link I provided for Nico's site and also Ian McPherson's excellent 'Time is on our side' site http://www.timeisonourside.com/

Lots more on ABB on this page of his site :
http://www.timeisonourside.com/lpBang.html

Ian lists the recording info as follows :

Pre-production:
June 2004: La Fourchette (Mick Jagger's home studio), Pocé sur Cisse, France
August-September 2004: La Fourchette, Pocé sur Cisse, France & St. Vincent, West Indies

Recorded:
November-early December 2004: La Fourchette, Pocé sur Cisse, France
March 7-9, 2005: La Fourchette, Pocé sur Cisse, France
March 14-April 2005: La Fourchette, Pocé sur Cisse, France

Mixed:
June 6-28, 2005: Ocean Way Recording & Village Recorder Studios, Los Angeles, USA

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)