ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Xcel Energy Center, Saint Paul, MN - 6th September 2005
© by and thanks to HurricaneJeanne @ Shidoobeeland!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Biggest Bang U.S sales Return to archive
12th September 2007 07:49 PM
Soldatti Thanks Pecman from IORR

Sales after 13 weeks: 47,360 units (20,422 during the first week)

Four Flicks sold 53,000 copies in the first week and about 360,000 by now.
12th September 2007 08:03 PM
fireontheplatter i listened to disc 4 this afternoon.

i am still loving it

overdubed or not.
12th September 2007 09:58 PM
robpop
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i listened to disc 4 this afternoon.

i am still loving it

overdubed or not.

I still have not bought it yet. I guess I will shortly, since it does feature one song from my hometown show. The overdubs...well they have been doing that since Ya-Ya's.

On a more important note, I joined a bowling league, since I am getting to old to play baseball, and there is no place on a team for me since I have like 12 home runs in 20 some years (I did have a kick ass average though). I just can't run anymore. What a drag it is getting old. I suck at bowling, but drinking, unlike baseball, is not only tolerated, but encouraged,
12th September 2007 10:10 PM
GimmeExile Those sales are good considering there was essentially no advertising behind it. FOUR FLICKS had extensive advertising in 2003
12th September 2007 11:42 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
Those sales are good considering there was essentially no advertising behind it. FOUR FLICKS had extensive advertising in 2003

Plus it's pretty much the same thing as FF...
13th September 2007 08:08 AM
BILL PERKS IT'S GOOD BUT NOTHING LIKE FF,WHICH I WATCHED A LOT.
13th September 2007 08:48 AM
gimmekeef So..in 13 weeks not one stadium full (50,000) of people have bought this...Wow...look for deep discounts very soon.
14th September 2007 11:42 AM
jb They simply have never been able to turn their concert success into commercial CD/DVD sales success. It is amazing that they are even in the top 10-11 all time sellers USA with around 66.5 million. Other groups, who released far fewer albums have us beat by tens of millions in terns of CD/album sales.
14th September 2007 11:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
So..in 13 weeks not one stadium full (50,000) of people have bought this...Wow...look for deep discounts very soon.

considering it was sold at what, about $30 in the US, if they discounted it any further, they'll be paying customers to buy it.

You lot are pretty lucky. Those of us in the rest of the planet are paying the equivalent of four full price DVDs for it, as we were with Four Flicks.
14th September 2007 11:56 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Thanks Pecman from IORR

Sales after 13 weeks: 47,360 units (20,422 during the first week)

Four Flicks sold 53,000 copies in the first week and about 360,000 by now.

Dissapointing. This is not going to make 50 Cent retire.
14th September 2007 12:30 PM
bilsim I recently went to Miami and went out of my way to buy this for $30, perhaps the fact you have to go to Best Buy to get it is another reason for poor sales, despite FF being sold there aswell. Just so you know, in England the DVD is £45 which is equivilant to being $90! Perhaps you should be thankful you can get it for that price whilst the brits pay that much for it!
14th September 2007 06:00 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
jb wrote:
They simply have never been able to turn their concert success into commercial CD/DVD sales success. It is amazing that they are even in the top 10-11 all time sellers USA with around 66.5 million. Other groups, who released far fewer albums have us beat by tens of millions in terns of CD/album sales.

are you really surprised by that?

even at their peak of popularity (roughly 68-78), the stones music was considered by some as dangerous and unseemly, their notoriety in some ways eclipsing their popularity. Even though they had an amazing streak of #1's from SF through TTY, that certain segment of the record buying public would not buy a rolling stones album. also, their drastic style change from EOMS to their mid-70s albums, most certainly alienated a portion of their fanbase, they picked up new fans but probably alot of them were more into their singles than albums.

don't forget when the stones toured in '75, they were considered an old band, even then (unfairly) as much a curiousity as a functioning band, 30 (+) years of age was considered ancient in rock n roll at that time. also in many ways the stones music is an acquired taste compared to straight ahead rock bands like Zeppelin for example, and the young boys and girls who gobbled up Beatles and later Michael Jackson records, were probably scared of the Stones, and would not buy either.

it's only been since the mid 80s that record companies started milking half a dozen singles off of albums ,like Born In The USA. Tattoo You had three singles released from it, a few years later and it probably would've doubled that.

in many ways the Stones have remained the most popular underground band, even now in their elderstatesmen phase. And really since their reformation in '89, they are a touring band first and foremost. Not everybody gets the Stones or their music, even if they see them live, do they own copies of UC or GHS for example?

Popular media's created myth of the '68-'72 period being the only one of true listening value hasn't helped either. Mick may be a Sir, and Keith a grandpa, but even today would middle America have the Stones over for dinner? probably not, so despite their multimillionaire status, varied sellouts and greed, in some ways they remain outlaws till to the end.
14th September 2007 07:03 PM
mrhipfl Awesome post aladdinstory. I'd agree with all of that.
14th September 2007 07:22 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
aladdinstory wrote:
in many ways the Stones have remained the most popular underground band, even now in their elderstatesmen phase.

I think you're spot-on here. It's funny; I've tried to make a similar argument before, too, and used the term "underground." If not that, then "punk." Hard as it to believe these days, but I think the band has always embodied those concepts...
16th September 2007 06:09 PM
Joey

Steely Dan has YET to release an ' official ' concert DVD .

17th September 2007 12:06 AM
glencar Tell Me You Love Me is QUITE steamy!
17th September 2007 12:06 AM
glencar As for Biggest Bang? Eh.
17th September 2007 04:47 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Joey wrote:

We can only hope and pray the streak continues.......
17th September 2007 04:52 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Joey wrote:

love this band.
i'm waiting....with baited breath.
18th September 2007 02:03 PM
Bitch I bought it the first day out, and I only watched 2 out of 4 shows. I'm waiting to hit a real low point when I need a Stones fix for something new and exciting. That should be soon, not much 'newness' happening in the Stones world lately.
18th September 2007 07:59 PM
gotdablouse @aladdin - great post

Back to Biggest, well...as usual the magic worked on me! I picked it up in the US in July and opened it today, thinking I would check out the first DVD and then go back to work...next thing I know, three hours have gone by and I've loaded them all! These bastards do have something don't they!

The documentary on the Rio concert is absolutely stunning, talk about everything being over the top (from their rooms to the crowd, via the corporate handshaking)...and watching some footage on a 16/9 TV really brought back memories of the concerts I saw in the past (haven't bothered since 2002), particularly one of the nights in Oakland '97.

The picture is of varying quality though, excellent on the Japanese footage and crappy elsewhere, too bad the Rio concert is in 4/3 too.

Soundwise I couldn' really make up my mind between the Dolby 2CH and 5.1, the former is nice but "muddy" to my ears, except for the brief "Laugh I nearly died" mix (during the Vedder segment I think), Gazza you need to check that one out if you haven't already !
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)