ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Mottrush
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Vinyl Vs CD's Return to archive
24th September 2006 08:06 PM
Honky Tonk Man I’ve made the decision that from now on I’m going to purchase Vinyl over CD’s. I recently bought The Killers new single on 45rpm and it felt so much better walking out the shop with it than if I’d bought the disc. I don’t normally buy singles, but this new experience excited me. I know that with some releases (two disc compilations etc) it won’t be so feasible to go for the vinyl version because of prices and maybe availability. I spotted Led Zeppelins BBC sessions in a vinyl box set for some ludicrous price like £70, but I’m confident that any studio release from now on I’ll be purchasing this way.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Does anyone else here purchase vinyl over CD’s? I know that a few here own A Bigger Bang on vinyl.
24th September 2006 08:10 PM
GotToRollMe I like CDs for portability and ease of use, but there's nothing like slapping on some wax, and there's no contest when it comes to album covers vs. CD cases.

I still listen to all my old albums on vinyl all the time. There's just something about it. I loves my vinyl, I really do.
24th September 2006 08:16 PM
Paranoid_Android Why dont you get an LP burner for your computer...just download and burn on to vinyl?

Actually...there is also great software out there to burn your LPs to CD...complete w/ the pops/scratches etc...you can even filter out the ones you dont want and keep the needle drops and stuff.
24th September 2006 08:23 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
Why dont you get an LP burner for your computer...just download and burn on to vinyl?

My god. You can buy anything these days!

No, no, I don’t plan to take anything seriously. I still intend to buy CD’s, it’s just that for regular releases, I’m going to plug for vinyl where I can. Vinyl has its drawbacks, so it’s never going to run the whole show in my world.
24th September 2006 08:55 PM
glencar I ahve ABB on vinyl (courtesy of my best friend) but I have to hook up my new record player first. I've been meaning to do it but I seem to procrastinate...
24th September 2006 08:56 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
glencar wrote:
I ahve ABB on vinyl (courtesy of my best friend) but I have to hook up my new record player first. I've been meaning to do it but I seem to procrastinate...

Should I get the vinyl verison, I'm thinking about opening a record store in Columbia, along with my bar....
24th September 2006 08:57 PM
glencar Yes, you can get in at RS.com...
24th September 2006 09:14 PM
texile i fought the cd revolution up until the last readily available album on vinyl....
but i gave up becauase it just tto convenient...

another problem is finding good, quality turntables -
but there's NOTHING like that feeling right before you put the needle on the groove..
you feel and hear that vibrating hum and then FEEL the anticipation and warm, heavy crackle as the needle hits the groove..then wait for the sound to hit you...
i'm fine with cds but there's just no comparison and it isn't just nostalgia...
the vinyl has that earthy tone you can't get from cd.
24th September 2006 09:19 PM
texile and another thing:
remember they said that cds were indestructable?
ha! when a cd is damaged or just slightly scratched -
that's it, it's obsolete...
i used to fix scratches all the time with my records, which was an art in itself.
25th September 2006 05:01 AM
Jakeb206 Call me an Idiot but you can make your own vinyls!?!?!?! Where would I get this softwear! (I'm not joking) I would love to have ABB on vinyl!
25th September 2006 07:24 AM
glencar
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yes, you can get in at RS.com...

25th September 2006 08:05 AM
Jair In Brazil the record companies stopped to make vinyl for years. Sometimes I buy some stuff as imported, or as "used" in a few local stores.

I found a brand new copy of that vinyl "Time Waits for no One" a few weeks and I paid $ 50 reais (about US 25) for it. I also found good copies of Sticky Fingers, with the zipper, and the original Some girls, among others. All too expensive, like $100
25th September 2006 09:28 AM
Honky Tonk Man Although I'd say that most non-independent record stores no longer stock vinyl (especially south of London), there does seem to be a revival of sorts. I purchased The Killers singles in the Oxford Street HMV and they literary had 100's of new releases. All the bands seem to be releasing their music on vinyl at the moment. The actual LP's are a little more expensive than the CD's, but I think it’s worth it. Amazon.co.uk has all the vinyl releases.
25th September 2006 09:39 AM
Zeeta
quote:
glencar wrote:

1st "air" post for a while, thanks!

Vinyl looks and sounds better than CDs no question.

I don't buy it cos I feel as if it's antiquated in some way and also purely cos of the fact it can't be burnt onto my PC and therefore my iPod!

**************iPod therefore iAm****************
25th September 2006 09:56 AM
HardKnoxDurtySox OK since we're on the subject...I need a new cartridge for my turntable. Any suggestions? I've been told that Grado makes a good one...
25th September 2006 10:54 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:

a. Should I get the vinyl verison, b. I'm thinking about opening a record store in Columbia, along with my bar....

A. DON'T DO IT! It's lame. Bad gatefold, crap packaging, botched sequence. . .

B. For the love of god . . . DON'T DO IT!

Vinyl is naturally superior to CDs in every way possible except for the fact that 3000 of them weigh over a ton and take up an entire room . . .

25th September 2006 11:01 AM
mojoman
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
I like CDs for portability and ease of use, but there's nothing like slapping on some wax, and there's no contest when it comes to album covers vs. CD cases.

I still listen to all my old albums on vinyl all the time. There's just something about it. I loves my vinyl, I really do.

i have about 1000 of each. i prefer vinyl but since most rock music is very shitty sounding you really don't lose alot in terms of quality. also since the vinyl is really old the condition has deteriorated alot.
25th September 2006 11:22 AM
GotToRollMe Not to mention the "goodies" they'd include with albums: Lyric sheets you could actually read because the print wasn't infinitesimal, photographs, and all kinds of extras that you could keep as souvenirs. Yeah, I miss the days of vinyl...

25th September 2006 12:12 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
texile wrote:
and another thing:
remember they said that cds were indestructable?

Indestructable cd's....hell...can't make any money that way. Things are made to wear out....planned obsolesence....it's the American way.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
25th September 2006 01:37 PM
mojoman
quote:
texile wrote:
i fought the cd revolution up until the last readily available album on vinyl....
but i gave up becauase it just tto convenient...

another problem is finding good, quality turntables -
but there's NOTHING like that feeling right before you put the needle on the groove..
you feel and hear that vibrating hum and then FEEL the anticipation and warm, heavy crackle as the needle hits the groove..then wait for the sound to hit you...
i'm fine with cds but there's just no comparison and it isn't just nostalgia...
the vinyl has that earthy tone you can't get from cd.

there are alot of fantastic turntables available. money to some though becomes an issue......

http://www.thorens.com/
25th September 2006 01:41 PM
pdog I'm DJ Kitty Scratch...
25th September 2006 04:44 PM
mrhipfl there's this really cool record store in Tampa I often go to. They sell used vynil anywhere from 30 cents to a buck. It's great cuz I just go about once a month with a twenty dollar bill and just search through the blues and rock artists and leave with about 30 albums. I have found many of my favorite bands this way including the kinks, mountain, free, and steppenwolf.
25th September 2006 06:39 PM
GotToRollMe You can actually get a decent turntable for under or around $100:
http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.process?N=11627&Ne=10000
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)