ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Mottrush
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Greetings From Halifax Return to archive
23rd September 2006 01:01 AM
RollingstonesUSA Just got in a couple of hours ago, long, long flight, flyin to Orlando then Halifax, what the fuckin' fuck! This is a beautiful place! I will try to get to soundcheck and take pictures and post them after the show, does anybody what hotel The Stones are staying in....
23rd September 2006 07:56 AM
MICK_JAGGER heyy, ill be there in about 4 hours, i live in new brunswick, so its quite the drive, should be exciting

I hope you can get pictures, apparently theres a 2 meter black fence surrounding the concert site..you know..for pesty onlookers..

According to this at shidoobee, they're at the Lord Nelson Hotel, people have seen them enter:

http://p081.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm558.showMessage?topicID=51.topic

HAVE A GREAT DAY AND CONCERT!!!!! WHOOOHOOO
there is rain schedueled...but lets keep our fingers crossed that itll keep dry!!
23rd September 2006 09:40 AM
mickmask I am a lovely shade of green right now.
Have fun folks!

mm.
23rd September 2006 05:08 PM
Lazy Bones Thanks for checking in. Enjoy the show and Halifax. Looking forward to your pics and review!
23rd September 2006 05:14 PM
Lazy Bones For those about to rock
If it’s stars you want to see, Halifax is the place to be
By JENNIFER STEWART and KRISTEN LIPSCOMBE Staff Reporters

Rolling Stone Mick Jagger waves to fans as he arrives at the Lord Nelson Hotel in Halifax on Friday. (Peter Parsons / Staff)

The Rolling Stones converged on Halifax on Friday night, rolling up to a downtown hotel at about 7:30 p.m., roughly 24 hours before they’ll step onstage tonight to rock the Commons.

The foursome arrived at the Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites in style, Mick Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards in black Lincoln Town Cars while guitarist Ron Wood and drummer Charlie Watts jumped from the back seats of black Ford Expeditions.

Fans squinted to see inside the tinted windows as the vehicles rolled up, trying to figure out who was inside each.

Flanked by security, a grinning Mick turned and waved to the crowd of about 40 screaming fans gathered outside the hotel before quickly climbing the stairs and heading inside. The other band members were less outgoing, bowing their heads from the flashes and rushing through the front doors.

"I think I’m going to faint," said Beth Ryan, one hand clutching her disposable camera, the other clinging to a reporter’s arm.

The Inverness woman said she’s been a fan since 1963 and has seen the group several times before, but never this close.

"I love everything about them," Ms. Ryan said, fluttering her hand in front of her face.

Once they’d checked in and were settled, the band members split up to grab a bite to eat and see some of the town.

Mick didn’t go far, having his car take him around the corner from the hotel to Onyx for dinner and drinks. Sitting with two women in a booth near the front of the club, Mick dug into a healthy spread of fish, green beans and rice.

As he rose to leave, patrons who had respected the star’s privacy stood and applauded as his security guard led him out.

When asked what he thinks of Halifax so far, Mick flashed his token smile. "Very nice, very nice," he replied before climbing into the backseat.

A fan of organically grown food, Ron was spotted earlier in the evening having a meal at The Wooden Monkey on Argyle Street.

Joined by his wife Jo, a security guard and two others, Ron said he had a lovely meal, which he polished off with a cup of ginger tea.

"I loved it, we loved that restaurant," Ron said, wrapping his arm around his wife’s shoulders. "The people are lovely."

While waiting outside for the entourage, Stones driver Keith Lovelock said the group has been great to work with.

"They were saying they like Halifax and how much they like Canada," said Mr. Lovelock, who is from Fall River.

When asked how they decided where to go in their short time here, he said people looked into things for them.

"They’d heard about The Wooden Monkey and they like the healthy food," Mr. Lovelock said of Ron’s choice. He said they seem to enjoy smaller places that are somewhat low-key.

"They like their privacy, so they try to disappear or blend in," he said, which he admitted isn’t easy.

That was evident when the group first arrived at the Lord Nelson. Rock fans, reporters and a few gushing groupies waited patiently for hours before the band showed up. Despite an increasingly frigid wind, people started gathering on the sidewalk and ramps outside the hotel at about 4:30 p.m.

As security tightened and bellhops kicked photographers off the Lord Nelson property, the curious crowds began to stir with excitement as it appeared something serious — or seriously rock ’n’ roll — was about to go down.

But it turned out the band’s private jet had been delayed and didn’t land at Halifax International Airport until about 6:30 p.m.

Nevertheless, the dedicated rock fans remained optimistic as they perched on a slab of concrete outside the hotel or leaned up against a wall on a South Park Street building.

"I’ve been wandering around the Commons and downtown all day and I went into work . . . and somebody told me that they had heard that they were going to be here," Adam Hennessy, a hard-core Rolling Stones fan with the tattoo to prove it, said of how he stumbled upon the gathering outside the Lord Nelson.

The 28-year-old Halifax resident, who sports a red lips-and-tongue logo on his left arm, said he became a converted Stones fan while rocking out at last year’s concert in Moncton. He got the famous Stones logo permanently inked into his flesh as a souvenir.

"I went to the Stones and it just left such an impression that I decided . . . that’s what I want."

Mr. Hennessy, who also wore a black leather bracelet and carried a shoulder bag with the same logo, brought along a stack of album covers just in case he got a chance to snag some autographs from the boys.

"I pretty much have every album," he said with a chuckle.

Nearby, a group of middle-aged women from Cape Breton and P.E.I. sat on a curb outside the hotel and joked and giggled like teenage girls as they waited for their idols to show up. The hotel stuff bustled around the women, with about a half-dozen employees protectively manning the front door to ensure everything ran smoothly.

About 20 minutes before the band arrived, two men dressed in jeans and sweaters jumped out of a car and shook hands with hotel staff. The cord to their earpieces curled into their shirts and walkie-talkies hung from their belts. The crowd knew something was up.

Among the crowd were Peter Butler and Judi McCabe, who travelled to Nova Scotia from Farmington, Conn.

Indeed, Mr. Butler is used to going long distances to see the Stones — today’s show will be his 29th.

"I’ve been a big fan my whole life . . . I grew up with it," he admitted with a proud smile as he stood beside Ms. McCabe on the sidewalk outside the Lord Nelson.

"It’s a chance to catch a glance," Mr. Butler, who wore a Rolling Stones jacket, said of why waiting in the cold was worth it. "It’s the glitz of it all."

Ms. McCabe, who has seen the band in concert about eight times, said she used to be a big fan of the Beatles but now prefers the Stones. "Their music is still as contemporary today as when they wrote it."

Mr. Hennessy declared the Rolling Stones "aren’t just a rock ’n’ roll band."

"They’re like a way of life," he explained. "Really — because they’re really passionate about what they do, they’re really good at what they do, they work hard, they play hard, they’re a lot of fun and they love the music, too."
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)