ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Madison Square Garden, September 26, 2002.
REUTERS/Jeff Christensen

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Definitive Song Return to archive Page: 1 2
09-22-02 10:25 PM
BILL PERKS JUMPIN JACK FLASH,EVEN WHEN I HEAR NOW ON THE RADIO,MAKES ME TURN IT ALL THE WAY UP.IT DOESNT SOUND LIKE 1968,IT'S TIMELESS.TO ME IT'S EASLIY THEIR DEFINING SONG.MY NEXT FAV WOULD BE MONKEY MAN.THEN IF YOU CANT ROCK ME.
09-22-02 10:40 PM
Pants Make the Man You have good taste, BILL PERKS.
09-22-02 10:55 PM
sirmoonie Boomie, the first note of Dancing with Mr. D was the decline of the Rolling Stones. But who the fuck cares, decline away you bastards! I'll decline widja! I'll even listen to Dirty Work sometimes!

And then, 30 fucking years later, these sonsabitches show up with Don't Stop! WTF! Can't take it no mo'!

Mongo, mongo, puss, puss!
Need some Stones like......something that ryhmes with puss. Fuck, I don't know, I just swill here.
09-22-02 10:59 PM
stonedinaustralia very difficult, of course, but if i absolutely had to choose then "tumblin' dice" for me - can't go past those back - up vocals and charlie's snare drum - not to mention the quintessential keith riff
09-22-02 11:06 PM
full moon I think the raunchy sound of Hand Of Fate, the soul of Worried About You, and the Jagger " cool" of Miss You.. Certainly not their decline at all.....
09-23-02 05:38 AM
Moonisup Read the stonesBible (to the moaners):

YOU SHALL NOT REFER NAGATIVE TO ANY STONES ACIVITY

IN EVERY STONES SONG THEIR IS A BIT FROM EVERY SONG
JJF HAS A BIT SATISFACTION, DON'T STOP HAS START ME UP

CONCLUSION IF YOU THINK THE STONES ARE DECLINING FIND ANOTHER BAND SOMETHING LIKE 'N SYNC

RIK
09-23-02 06:26 AM
Staffan Something bad happened after Exile and IORR (the album) is really the "new" Stones emerging from the old Stones. And perhaps GHS was a stepstone in that direction. It isn't magical anymore! Although, Sirmoonie, I think Dancing w/ Mr D was great live and they were still kicking ass on the road in the late 70'ies..
09-23-02 04:03 PM
ShannonDC Gimme Shelter - IMO the greatest rock and roll song ever recorded. Still menacing, powerful, never gets old.
09-23-02 04:34 PM
Scot Rocks .......Midnight Rambler!!!!!!!!, that song has everything.

however also, Satisfaction any time I hear it always sounds so fresh and gives me this strange feeling, maybe it was the first Stones song I heard, I donno.

Yet I agree with everyone, there are so many great songs, that for me personally, my favourite fluctuates from week to week, or month to month. I mean JJF, The Last Time, HTW, CYHMK, Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, Under my Thumb, IORR, Wild horses, etc the list goes on and on....

Thank you God for the Rolling Stones!!!!!!!!

Mark
09-23-02 05:19 PM
Moonisup oh man just listen to the handsome girls boot! 4cd's of stones man, it is to good to write down, can't describe it, every fan has to have that one!!
09-23-02 06:23 PM
stonesmik YOU SHALL NOT REFER NAGATIVE TO ANY STONES ACIVITY

IN EVERY STONES SONG THEIR IS A BIT FROM EVERY SONG
JJF HAS A BIT SATISFACTION, DON'T STOP HAS START ME UP

CONCLUSION IF YOU THINK THE STONES ARE DECLINING FIND ANOTHER BAND SOMETHING LIKE 'N SYNC

RIK
[/quote]

Fuckin hell don't give me that shit. What do you call it if a band releases at least one studio album per year up to 1969 and then: nothing in 1970, nothing in 1975, nothing in 1977, nothing in 1979, nothing in 1982, nothing in 1984, nothing in 1985, nothing in 1987, nothing in 1988, nothing in 1990, nothing in 1991, nothing in 1992, nothing in 1993, nothing in 1995, nothing in 1996, nothing in 1998, nothing in 1999, nothing in 2000, nothing in 2001, still nothing in 2002. If this is the result of a vital songwriting partnership, then goodnight, sleep tight.

If you can find any "Start me up" in "Don't stop" you must be completely bonkers. Listen to your Stones, man. I rather believe there is a little shit in everyone's brain. It's badly stirred up in yours.

You babble as uncritical like a fan of the ugly group you dared to mention on this board. Even Keith doesn't like every Stones song, but of course, you know everything so much better. You're a chatterbox and probably just drunk, rik.
09-23-02 06:25 PM
Moonisup "Fuckin hell don't give me that shit. What do you call it if a band releases at least one studio album per year up to 1969 and then: nothing in 1970, nothing in 1975, nothing in 1977, nothing in 1979, nothing in 1982, nothing in 1984, nothing in 1985, nothing in 1987, nothing in 1988, nothing in 1990, nothing in 1991, nothing in 1992, nothing in 1993, nothing in 1995, nothing in 1996, nothing in 1998, nothing in 1999, nothing in 2000, nothing in 2001, still nothing in 2002. If this is the result of a vital songwriting partnership, then goodnight, sleep tight.

If you can find any "Start me up" in "Don't stop" you must be completely bonkers. Listen to your Stones, man. I rather believe there is a little shit in everyone's brain. It's badly stirred up in yours."

Milkie boy

that is why you drink milk and I wodka, I am a man, and you are a man with no balls!

You babble as uncritical like a fan of the ugly group you dared to mention on this board. Even Keith doesn't like every Stones song, but of course, you know everything so much better. You're a chatterbox and probably just drunk, rik.

[/quote]
[Edited by Moonisup]
09-23-02 07:22 PM
Boomhauer moon, don't waste your time arguing with this guy. I learned; he's gonna say something like "good night, sleep tight," and you're just going to laugh. And that's all you can do. Laugh.
09-23-02 08:03 PM
shakedhandswithkeith The best song they ever wrote:

ANYBODY SEEN MY BABY

09-23-02 08:13 PM
Soul Survivor your kidding........
09-23-02 08:24 PM
Scot Rocks I would hazard a guess that you are correct Soulie.
09-23-02 08:31 PM
Mickjagger1963 Honky Tonk, Midnight Rambler, Brown Sugar

are 2,3, and 4

BUt how come nobody has mentioned SYMPATHY???!?!?!

Lyrically in my opinion the most genious song ever, and the chaos and off-beatness of the percussion, and keith's solos and mick's lyrics make the music absolutley mind-blowing insane!

I'm not one to put down a Stones song,, But no other song has anything on Sympathy in my VERY HUMBLE opinion

09-23-02 08:32 PM
Fiji Joe It's Only Rock N' Roll....Period!
09-23-02 08:46 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:
I would hazard a guess that you are correct Soulie.

I hope I'm correct...

Maybe the only album he owns is "Bridges"?

(Hopefully)
09-23-02 09:52 PM
Mr T "definitive?"

Sympathy
09-23-02 10:32 PM
CousinCocaine Yeah, Jumpin Jack Flash should be the ultimate Stoner !!
BUT, - you can't really define them on just one song, no way !
HG
09-24-02 02:44 AM
dead man cum "The last time", "little T & A", and "almost hear you sigh"

See the logic?
09-24-02 07:19 AM
stonesmik "Goodnight, sleep tight". Mick Jagger said that at the end of "Fingerprint file" and if you listen to it you'll know why. You probably don't even know that song cause Beavis & Butthead never played it.
09-24-02 07:20 AM
Soul Survivor "Fingerprint File" is awesome. 'And theres some little jerk in the FBI......'

What's with you're avatar though stonesmik?
09-24-02 07:53 AM
stonesmik Yes, what's with my avatar?
09-24-02 08:23 AM
fmk438j I hope you don't really mean what you say about no negative words Moonisup. Nothing should be without critique. Without it there's no point.

IORR bores me. I don't know why they keep playing it, other than for the message. But I haven't heard it this tour yet so I can't say absolutely on that one.

IMO it'd have to be something like (as already mentioned) JJF, Tumbling D or Midnight Rambler.

But, I see songs like Dear Docter as difinitely stones because I can't imagine anyone ever replicating *that*. Just so simple but unique at the same time.
09-24-02 08:33 AM
stonedickie Personally, Sympathy for the Devil is my favorite--the dark, sexy rhythm, the biting, slashing guitar, the incredible lyrical imagery--it's got the whole package as far as I'm concerned. However, it's hard for me to argue cohesively against JJF--the other night when they opened with it at the Tower, it just ran chills up my spine.
Page: 1 2