ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks thanks Mr. Jimmy
Rogers Centre, Toronto September 26, 2005
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Billboard: Mismatch between album-buyers and concertgoers (Stones content) Return to archive
September 23rd, 2005 09:26 AM
Mel Belli Billboard

September 24, 2005

SECTION: CHART COLUMNS; Over the counter

LENGTH: 672 words

HEADLINE: OVER THE COUNTER: MORE THAN EVER, ALBUM AND TICKET SALES DON'T MIX

SOURCE: Print

BYLINE: GEOFF MAYFIELD

BODY:
Despite a handsome media campaign, the Rolling Stones' opening week for "A Bigger Bang" is lighter than its last two studio albums, while Paul McCartney seems destined for an even slimmer start when he bows next week on The Billboard 200. Yet, both acts will be among the most sought-after draws on the concert circuit for the next several months, with prime Stones tickets going for more than $400 a pop.

Welcome to the latest reminder that the folks who buy concert tickets are not prime album consumers and vice versa.

Of the 10 acts who led Billboard's year-end Boxscore list in 2004, Kenny Chesney (who was eighth in concert revenue) was the only one with a top 10 album in Nielsen SoundScan's annual tally, when 3.1 million units made "When the Sun Goes Down" the fourth-best seller.

Madonna, queen of the box office in 2004, did not even place among that year's top 200 SoundScan albums. No shame there, as five other top 10 concert acts--Simon & Garfunkel, Metallica, Bette Midler, Sting and David Bowie--were also absent from the list of the year's 200 best-selling sets.

Chesney's dual placement among top 10 tours and top 10 albums is one better than we saw in the two prior years, as none of either year's 10 best-grossing concert acts managed a top 10 album in 2002 or 2003. As they did in 1995, the Stones also led the Boxscore list in 2003, a year after McCartney stood atop the concert list, with each managing strong but not year-topping results for related albums.

The Stones have rung up 2.4 million copies of the 2002 hits anthology "Forty Licks," which was the catalyst for the tour that started that year. That two-CD set is the band's best-selling album since SoundScan opened its doors in 1991.

Likewise, in SoundScan's time, McCartney's best-selling solo album and his biggest sales week are distinctions owned by "Back in the U.S. Live 2002" (974,000 copies to date; 224,000 when it bowed at No. 8), the audio souvenir of that year's tour.

"Back" was the No. 96 album on SoundScan's 2002 list, while "Forty" ranked No. 36 in 2002 and No. 116 the following year.

Chesney is in good company. There were three other years among that last 10 when only one act had one of the 10 best-selling albums in the same year as a top 10 tour. 'N Sync was No. 1 on the former and No. 2 on the latter in 2000, Garth Brooks owned the No. 4 album and No. 6 tour of 1997, and Alanis Morissette had the top album and No. 8 tour of 1996.

Concert promoters will likely not be surprised to learn there was only one year since 1995 when more than two acts ranked top 10 in both tours and album sales. In 1998, Celine Dion had the No. 9 tour and a stake in each of the top two albums (the "Titanic" soundtrack and her "Let's Talk About Love" CD), while Brooks and Shania Twain also made both lists.

Simple conclusions? The kids who buy (or copy) music are less likely to afford $100-plus concert tickets. And, with the exception of country fans and Norah Jones' following, the adults who can afford pricey tickets are less likely to shape a year's best-selling albums.

THREE AND OUT: The Rolling Stones shared two TV shots with Kanye West during the tracking week, as both were featured on ABC's opening NFL game and the MTV/VH1/CMT "ReAct Now: Music & Relief" benefit concert for Hurricane Katrina victims. But, while the Stones also made "Today" and "Dateline," West had a busier media schedule in his album's second week than most acts rally in an opening frame.

The rapper's rounds included visits to Oprah Winfrey's and Ellen DeGeneres' talk shows, BET's "106 & Park" and two more Katrina telethons: the multinetwork "Shelter From the Storm" and BET's "S.O.S. (Saving Ourselves)."

Despite a 67% second-week drop, West's "Late Registration" easily withstands the DVD-enhanced special edition of 50 Cent's "The Massacre" (154,000, up 519%) and the Stones' arrival (129,000).

Starts of the Stones' last two studio sets: "Bridges to Babylon," 160,000 in 1997; "Voodoo Lounge," 154,000 in 1994. ****

LOAD-DATE: September 21, 2005

September 23rd, 2005 09:41 AM
jb Great find Sandrew..I posted it on Shidoobee...As usual, I was 100% correct about this album bombing...............many here had wild figures of 250k the first week, etc.....This will not hit 1 million domestically IMO....
September 23rd, 2005 09:49 AM
Mel Belli Maybe not. Still, they shipped 1.9 million worldwide, which sounds doable.
September 23rd, 2005 09:58 AM
jb
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Maybe not. Still, they shipped 1.9 million worldwide, which sounds doable.

Maybe in 8 yrs.
September 23rd, 2005 10:12 AM
The Wick What is this crap about a "handsome media campaign?" It has been a completely disjointed shambles. They haven't even released the video for that shitbag single. They did one meaningful interview in the States with Matt Pinfield, a show no one listens to apart from hard core fans. They picked the single with the least likelihood of success, and couldn't even make up their mind over what the single was. Unless they are hoping for some magical rebound once the video is out, it has been absolutely pathetic.
[Edited by The Wick]
September 23rd, 2005 10:17 AM
Mel Belli I don't know what people expect from Stones media campaigns -- saturation or, better yet, "synchronicty"? -- but there are maybe one or two other bands on the planet that can generate the kind of heat the Stones did for ABB.

Bands today sell a LOT more albums with a lot LESS media attention. Anyone who blames the Virgin marketing team for disappointing sales is deluding himself, pure and simple.
September 23rd, 2005 10:24 AM
The Wick Come on Mel. It's been pathetic. The mess over the video is just lame. It has nothing to do with saturation. You're right about generating heat, but what they have done is the perfect example of a publicity machine not taking advantage of that heat. An interview on Extra is fucking lame and is a shot to their credibility. Next time, they might as well dress up Matt Boom Boom Clifford in a clown's outfit and ask him to go play birthday parties and unleash his keyboard wizardry in promoting the album.
September 23rd, 2005 10:42 AM
Mel Belli All I'm saying is, I've seen a lot of bands do well -- Green Day, for example -- with a lot less press. ("American Idiot" came out last fall and it's still selling like mad.)

I'm not sure a Stones video delivered on time would have made a difference. Kids just aren't interested in the Rolling Stones, primarily for the reason cited in the article - pricey tickets.

There's no way the baby boomers who are shelling out hundreds to see the tour are somehow in the dark about ABB, which has been glowingly reviewed in almost every major newspaper in the country. Would a video make a difference with them? Not a chance.
September 23rd, 2005 10:43 AM
jb
quote:
The Wick wrote:
What is this crap about a "handsome media campaign?" It has been a completely disjointed shambles. They haven't even released the video for that shitbag single. They did one meaningful interview in the States with Matt Pinfield, a show no one listens to apart from hard core fans. They picked the single with the least likelihood of success, and couldn't even make up their mind over what the single was. Unless they are hoping for some magical rebound once the video is out, it has been absolutely pathetic.
[Edited by The Wick]

Beautiful post.
September 23rd, 2005 10:48 AM
Saint Sway Billboard didnt need to dedicate a long story to this.

I can sum it up:

The tour sounds great but the album sounds like crap. Thus, people will flock to see a great rock show. But no one needs another half-assed Stones record.
September 23rd, 2005 10:48 AM
Mel Belli JB - Have you bought the album yet? Might you be one those, ahem, well-heeled concertgoers not interested in new material?
September 23rd, 2005 10:56 AM
jb
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
JB - Have you bought the album yet? Might you be one those, ahem, well-heeled concertgoers not interested in new material?

I'll take the 5th.
September 23rd, 2005 11:03 AM
glencar That's what is killing their album sales. So many oldsters skip the CD purchase on their way to the show.
September 23rd, 2005 11:06 AM
lucasd4 ABB has already sold a million worldwide, Mr. Negative...It's been the #1 selling album in the entire world for the past two weeks...what other 40+ year old rock act still sells this many records???

quote:
jb wrote:
Maybe in 8 yrs.

September 23rd, 2005 11:16 AM
jb
quote:
lucasd4 wrote:
ABB has already sold a million worldwide, Mr. Negative...It's been the #1 selling album in the entire world for the past two weeks...what other 40+ year old rock act still sells this many records???

Thank you Lucads for being more polite.
September 23rd, 2005 11:57 AM
West 8 I don't understand how so many people are willing to pay big money to see the Stones (not even for a good seat) but are to F### cheap to lay out $10.00/$15.00 for their latest cd,especially one that is getting great reviews. But what is going on with SOL? Is it a single or not,if so why are they not playing live ,& where is the video? We know they made one ,but why is it not being played.and I mean being played over & over & over on VH1 & MTV,like they play all that other stuff.(I mean crap) Good old fashion brain washing> It is extreme but it would work
September 23rd, 2005 12:24 PM
gimmekeef Biggest mistake of all is the packaging.Only us diehards would know its their cd.There is no red tongue on the front to draw the casual fan to pick it up(not even any print saying Stones or Bigger Bang that you can read).Just a dumb cover from a sales perspective.Still love the songs though!
September 23rd, 2005 01:08 PM
Dan Its the best Stones cover in about 30 years. I still listen to it almost every day. Even though it will disappear from the top of the charts quite quickly, it will be a sleeper - steadily selling a lot of copies throughout the course of the tour.
Look at the type of people Stones gigs attract nowadays. I wouldnt expect most of them to buy the album. The tour and album are marketed to 2 distinct groups of people. The album is for rock fans (many of whom have been alienated by the Stones as a virtual corporation) and the tour which is marketed to well to do yuppies.
I doubt we will see many new songs added to setlist.
September 23rd, 2005 01:13 PM
jb It was a good try....but fell a little short of expectations.
September 23rd, 2005 01:22 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:
It was a good try....but fell a little short of expectations.

Considering BTB and the new songs on 40 Licks, I had no expectations whatsoever, but was really surprised. Its not like its the only new album I was looking forward to this year
September 23rd, 2005 01:23 PM
Bloozehound maybe if they released something worth buying it would of sold better

who the fuck wants to hear Streets of Shit

ABB sucks
September 23rd, 2005 01:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot I don't think that's true Bloozey.

I personally don't care for the album, but that doesn't really mean anything.

Look at the stuff that is selling well...it's all crap. Yet there have been some really good albums released that don't sell squat.

So why does some crap sell better than other crap, and why do good albums do poorly? I dunno. I guess that the people that are buying CDs like crap.

September 23rd, 2005 01:57 PM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

So why does some crap sell better than other crap, and why do good albums do poorly? I dunno. I guess that the people that are buying CDs like crap.

The album is a bust ! ( See : Paul McCartney's new CD )
September 23rd, 2005 02:42 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I don't think that's true Bloozey.

Look at the stuff that is selling well...it's all crap. Yet there have been some really good albums released that don't sell squat.

SS I've read your reviews and and I totally agree you 100%, and I think you know where/why most of the problem lies

I'm not saying this albums crap, but it was a half assed venture from the get go and the album sounds it, some people here seem to really like it, some people also thought the Alfie soundtrack was the bomb

I thought ABB was ok at first, who here isn't excited about new Stones

I've since shelved it and haven't had a desire to hear it since, there's a few songs I like but overall I just don't think it's that great of an album, there's like INxs songs on it and shit, wassup with dat

plus I dont care for Mick Jagger solo albums, I don't think most of the masses do either

I like THE Stones and I think they do to

the tour looks like its going well so I think they'll do fine, they always do

[Edited by Bloozehound]
September 23rd, 2005 03:17 PM
2000monkey
quote:
West 8 wrote:
I don't understand how so many people are willing to pay big money to see the Stones (not even for a good seat) but are to F### cheap to lay out $10.00/$15.00 for their latest cd,especially one that is getting great reviews.

A lot of people are downloading it.
September 23rd, 2005 03:20 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I don't think that's true Bloozey.

I have severe constipation today despite taking Citracal last night. That Fleet pre-colonoscopy stuff works much better....
September 23rd, 2005 03:29 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:

I have severe constipation today despite taking Citracal last night. That Fleet pre-colonoscopy stuff works much better....

Try drinking a can or two of Sparks. Not only does it pack the best buzz you can get for $1.75, it can also unclog the pipes if necessary.
September 23rd, 2005 07:42 PM
Soldatti
quote:
2000monkey wrote:

A lot of people are downloading it.

...and from the Stones website!!!!!!
September 23rd, 2005 07:51 PM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:

Try drinking a can or two of Sparks. Not only does it pack the best buzz you can get for $1.75, it can also unclog the pipes if necessary.

Thanks dan@!!!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)