ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks thanks Mr. Jimmy
Rogers Centre, Toronto September 26, 2005
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NYC Concert Last Night for New Orleans Return to archive
September 21st, 2005 12:38 PM
jcdesq Went to the Radio City Music Hall Show. It was awesome. I have to say that the 40 minute set that Tom Wait's played, was more enjoyable than the Stones show at the Garden last week. Maybe it was because the songs he sang were not tired, like most of the songs in the Stones set-list, maybe it was because Radio City is a more intimate venue and the New Orleans vibe was so positive, or maybe he is just a more vital artist at this point in his career.

As a huge Stones fan, this perplexed me, so I did the only rational thing I could think of. I snorted a gram of good cocaine in a bathroom stall while wearing my Preservation Hall Jazz Band shirt and some Mardi Gras beads with a bartender from the Mid-City Rock and Bowl in New Orleans that I met outside smoking a butt, went to the bar and ordered 2 Johnny Walker Blacks, drank them both, and then left before the awful Dave Matthews came on.
September 21st, 2005 12:43 PM
jb
quote:
jcdesq wrote:
Went to the Radio City Music Hall Show. It was awesome. I have to say that the 40 minute set that Tom Wait's played, was more enjoyable than the Stones show at the Garden last week. Maybe it was because the songs he sang were not tired, like most of the songs in the Stones set-list, maybe it was because Radio City is a more intimate venue and the New Orleans vibe was so positive, or maybe he is just a more vital artist at this point in his career.

As a huge Stones fan, this perplexed me, so I did the only rational thing I could think of. I snorted a gram of good cocaine in a bathroom stall while wearing my Preservation Hall Jazz Band shirt and some Mardi Gras beads with a bartender from the Mid-City Rock and Bowl in New Orleans that I met outside smoking a butt, went to the bar and ordered 2 Johnny Walker Blacks, drank them both, and then left before the awful Dave Matthews came on.

The Stones set list is O.K.-it's Keith's 2 songs that take the wind out of the show.....Mick must be very embarrassed.
September 21st, 2005 12:58 PM
jcdesq Keith should play "Before They Make Me Run" and "You Got the Silver." He should sub-in "Happy," "Wanna Hold You" and "Little T&A."

Keith reminds me of George Foreman. Foreman would always stand in his corner inbetween rounds. He would never sit down. The great Mr. Richards never sits down in the 2 plus hours of a Stones concert. It is amazing how most of these younger bands take intermissions, but Keith never takes a break. No wonder he falls asleep during some songs. I think that is why they don't play the boring "Streets of Love" in concert.
September 21st, 2005 01:57 PM
glencar I see Bette Midler made a fool of herself last night...
September 21st, 2005 02:38 PM
FPM C10 I would've given a NUT to see Tom last night. I've seen him twice and both shows ('86 & '99) were beyond description. One of the greatest American artists EVER.

What songs did he do? Did he have a band? Who?

C'mon, man...DETAILS!
September 21st, 2005 03:36 PM
muddy I was at the show too. Tom was great, as usual.
I don't think you can compare it to a Stones show though, two entirely different animals.

Smart move leaving before Dave Matthews. What a boring, tired hack. Don't drive or operate heavy machinery while listening to that crap.

Set:
Way Down in the Hole
Jesus Gonna be Here
Get Behind the Mule
Murder in the Red Barn
Take Care of All My Children
I Wish I was in New Orleans
House Where Nobody Lives

encore - Make it Rain -with Marc Ribot

There was one other song Tom started, but quit shortly after, maybe because of sound problems (?).

Band:
Larry Taylor - bass
Stephen Hodges - drums
Smokey Hormel - guitar
Charlie Musselwhite -harp
September 21st, 2005 05:12 PM
snap13
quote:
jcdesq wrote:
DAVE MATTHEWS BAND IS FANTASTIC......

Went to the Radio City Music Hall Show. It was awesome. I have to say that the 40 minute set that Tom Wait's played, was more enjoyable than the Stones show at the Garden last week. Maybe it was because the songs he sang were not tired, like most of the songs in the Stones set-list, maybe it was because Radio City is a more intimate venue and the New Orleans vibe was so positive, or maybe he is just a more vital artist at this point in his career.

September 21st, 2005 06:05 PM
monkey_man What was in Tom's set list? I've seen him 3 times at the Paramount in Oakland. . .a superb performer!
September 21st, 2005 06:20 PM
FPM C10
quote:
muddy wrote:

Set:
Way Down in the Hole
Jesus Gonna be Here
Get Behind the Mule
Murder in the Red Barn
Take Care of All My Children
I Wish I was in New Orleans
House Where Nobody Lives

encore - Make it Rain -with Marc Ribot

Band:
Larry Taylor - bass
Stephen Hodges - drums
Smokey Hormel - guitar
Charlie Musselwhite -harp

I knew he would do "I Wish I Was in New Orleans", of course. That set looks great. Ending with "Make It Rain"...hmmmm!

I saw Marc Ribot and Smokey Hormel both playing with Tom at the Beacon in '99 (along with Taylor and Hodges). Talk about some angular guitar playing! One was acute, the other obtuse.

In fact Greg Cohen from the RainDogs band showed up that night too, as well as John Hammond Jr. What a glorious racket those guys made when they were all onstage together.

Musselwhite is a MONSTER on harp. That's really cool that he was there too.

TOUR, dammit! Just put those guys in a station wagon and TOUR!!!!

September 22nd, 2005 09:22 AM
FPM C10 New York Goes New Orleans
from Rolling Stone:

Matthews, Waits, John serenade the Cresent City

New Orleans descended on New York for two concurrent concerts, dubbed From the Big Apple to the Big Easy, Tuesday night to raise money for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Big names such as Dave Matthews, Simon and Garfunkel, and Elton John filled the bills of the shows held at Radio City Music Hall and Madison Square Garden, but New Orleans acts from the Meters to the Neville Brothers were the focus of the evening's entertainment.
Piano player and studio whiz Allen Toussaint led the house band for the first segment of the MSG concert, alongside Late Show With David Letterman bandleader Paul Shaffer. Together they hosted a rotating panel of guests that included Lenny Kravitz, Elvis Costello, Paul Simon, Jimmy Buffett and New Orleans soul queen Irma Thomas, who performed her classic "Time Is on My Side," famously covered by the Rolling Stones in 1964. Aaron Neville joined Toussaint for a chilling take on Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come," sung against a backdrop of horrific images from flood ravaged New Orleans.

Political chatter was kept to a minimum at both events, with performers mostly sticking to the program: championing aid for New Orleans. But a few artists angrily denounced government officials for their slow response to Katrina's devastation. "I Wish New Orleans was dry and Washington was underwater," said Tom Waits. Bette Midler had even stronger words: "I got a letter from the Republican Party the other day. I wrote back, 'Go fuck yourself.'" She then added, "George Bush is a fan of mine -- he came to see me in the Seventies. His coke dealer brought him."

There was nothing but love for one former Oval Office resident, however: Bill Clinton's surprise appearances at both concerts were greeted with long standing ovations. He spoke of the urgent need to get money to the hurricane victims, and reminisced that "the first time I saw a building over two stories tall was in New Orleans, when I was three years old." He then introduced John Fogerty, who Clinton said "captured the soul of New Orleans," despite being born in Northern California.

The Dixie Cups, a Sixties girl group from New Orleans, were one of the Garden's best-received acts. Their brief set included their Number One hit "Chapel of Love," as well a forceful take on the classic Cresent City ditty "Iko Iko," on which they were joined by Cyndi Lauper. Other Garden highlights included Elton John's mournful rendition of "Funeral for a Friend (Love Lies Bleeding)"; Mississippi-born Buffett's lengthy set, which featured "Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes" and the obvious crowd favorite "Margaritaville"; and Fogerty's renditions of the all-to-appropriate Creedence Clearwater Revival tunes "Born on the Bayou" and "Have You Ever Seen the Rain." Scheduled guest Fats Domino was unable to make it into the city, but the Dirty Dozen Brass Band -- with help from Elvis Costello, Diana Krall and Fats' longtime collaborator Dave Bartholomew -- paid tribute to him with a rollicking take on the Domino classic "I'm Walking."

The Radio City show, hosted by comedian Harry Shearer, was aimed at a younger audience and featured Anastasio, the John Mayer Trio and Galactic. Matthews, the Neville Brothers and the Meters all took a page out of the Phil Collins Live Aid handbook and played at both events. Radio City's most anticipated guest was Waits, who rarely makes live appearances. His set, which was unfortunately marred by sound problems, included "Get Behind the Mule," "Murder in a Red Burn" and "House Where Nobody Lives." "There's so much music in New Orleans you can hold a trumpet above your head and it will play itself," he remarked. Matthews' solo acoustic set contained moving takes on "Gravedigger" and "Crush." Later, he joined Buffett at the Garden for a cover of Neil Young's "Heart of Gold."

Simon and Garfunkel, one of the final acts at the Garden, where introduced by actor Paul Newman. "As tonight proves, music has a power all its own," he said. "In our most trying times, music has a healing power like a bridge over troubled water." Minutes later, Garfunkel and Aaron Neville traded verses on the aforementioned tune. "As many times as I've sung that song, I don't think it's ever meant as much to me as it does tonight," said Garfunkel.

To end the five-hour show, the Meters and the Neville Brothers struck up "When the Saints Go Marching In," and a parade of children filled the aisles. In true New Orleans fashion, it was well past midnight.
September 22nd, 2005 12:43 PM
monkey_man Nice fucking set list!
September 22nd, 2005 03:17 PM
FPM C10 What album is "Take Care of All My Children" from?

He did "Make It Rain" on Letterman the last time he was on. Absolutely amazing. I LOVE that guy.
September 22nd, 2005 03:57 PM
Saint Sway last time I saw Charlie Musslewhite he could barely stand. He had to be helped on and off the stage. I hope he is getting about better these days.
September 22nd, 2005 04:54 PM
jcdesq Charlie Musslewhite is in good shape. He pulled out his cock onstage, and it was thick and healthy.

"Take Care of All of My Children" is from a movie about homeless people. The name is "Streetwise" and was released in 1984.

http://www.keeslau.com/TomWaitsSupplement/

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)