ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks thanks Mr. Jimmy
Rogers Centre, Toronto September 26, 2005
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ABB in UK chart: what a drop... Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 18th, 2005 03:29 PM
Chris Diemoz People,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/albums.shtml

from 2nd position to 12th, in a week. Can't believe this happened to what I look as one of most solid albums in music history. But... was the Crawdaddy in London or where?

Ciao,
Chris
September 18th, 2005 03:56 PM
jcdesq One of the most solid albums in music history? Are you retarded? If you said that to Keith's face, he would probably punch you. That statement is an insult to all the great blues, jazz and rock albums ever created. "A Bigger Bang" is OK. Nothing groundbreaking there. Calm down with the hyperbole.

As far as the English go, if you knew anything about them, you would know that they are the trendiest group of people on the planet. Except for the Beatles and random artists like Brian Wilson (whom the Beatles worshipped), they could care less about oldies acts like the Stones. Of course, there is a hardcore fan base in England that will buy records, but they are not at all considered "hip" in the UK. I lived there for a while, and many of my friends laughed at me for liking the Stones so much. You just need to embrace the British love for trends and realized after the hardcore fans and curious people buy the album, that "A Bigger Bang" will fall off the radar. Just be happy they sell out the big UK Stadiums. That is all that matters at this point.

FYI, I think Mick's last solo album sold 150 copies in the first week. Seriously.

If you want some great music, check out "Shake That Thing" by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. What a record. Timeless. I don't think it ever charted though, but still probably outsold "Goddess in the Doorway" in the UK.
September 18th, 2005 04:03 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr.
quote:
Can't believe this happened to what I look as one of most solid albums in music history.

???

It's a good, decent album...but c'mon.
September 18th, 2005 04:30 PM
star star [quote]jcdesq wrote: I lived there for a while, and many of my friends laughed at me for liking the Stones so much.

Weird, at my sixth form in good old Lincolnshire, England, i cant move without seeing people wearing stones shirts or badges and talking about them to me. i thought i was the only die hard fan there but it turns out not to be
September 18th, 2005 04:46 PM
jcdesq I did not say there are no Stones fans in England, but they are far from being an important band, and they do not get the respect they deserve. The Stones "tongue" logo is back in vogue and I see many younger people wearing throwback 1975 tour shirts, but face it:

1. There is a reason you thought you were the only die-hard Stones fan until recently.

2. The record sales and lack of airplay speak for themselves.

3. The media loves slagging the Stones.
September 18th, 2005 05:02 PM
Gazza
quote:
jcdesq wrote:
Of course, there is a hardcore fan base in England that will buy records, but they are not at all considered "hip" in the UK. I lived there for a while, and many of my friends laughed at me for liking the Stones so much.

see thats where you're somewhat out of date. The Stones are actually considered 'in' again amongst the music press in Britain and have been for a few years now. Why thats been the case I dont know, but its definitely different to even as recent as 5 or 10 years ago.

quote:
FYI, I think Mick's last solo album sold 150 copies in the first week. Seriously.

First day actually. In the end, it charted in the top 30 or so in the first week. Not helped by the fact that Virgin chose to release it on the same day as they released a Robbie Williams album and devoted all their efforst into promoting THAt instead. But hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good argument...

September 18th, 2005 05:11 PM
Gazza
quote:
jcdesq wrote:
I did not say there are no Stones fans in England, but they are far from being an important band

well they sold 185,000 tickets on their last tour of the British Isles two years ago, even though it was by far the highest priced rock show in history. The equivalent of selling almost a million tickets in the US. Not too shabby.

How many countries are there where you would consider a group of men in their 60's to be considered of enough cultural significance to be regarded as "an important band"

quote:
, and they do not get the respect they deserve.

yeah all those Mojo, NME, Uncut etc Stones specials give them no respect. You see many such publications in other countries? I dont.

quote:
The Stones "tongue" logo is back in vogue and I see many younger people wearing throwback 1975 tour shirts, but face it:

1. There is a reason you thought you were the only die-hard Stones fan until recently.

2. The record sales and lack of airplay speak for themselves.

Britain doesnt have a "classic rock" radio format like the US does. And BBC Radio 1 (the main pop station) doesnt play anything more than a couple of years old and its aimed at kids. And the Stones hardly fit into that category. Record sales? Dont make me laugh. A Bigger Bang did far far better in record sales in the UK last week than it did in the US - where they happen to be touring.

quote:
3. The media loves slagging the Stones.

and what the fuck does that prove? Consider the source...the British tabloid press are the dregs of the world. They slag everyone. If anything, if it wasnt for the media the Stones would be almost unknown to a generation of people because they hardly ever make any records. The Stones get ageist jokes directed at them by media everywhere. We DO see Leno and Letterman and all that shite over here too.

Typical "I lived there for five minutes years ago so I'm an expert" ill-informed bullshit

[Edited by Gazza]
September 18th, 2005 05:16 PM
jcdesq Gazza,

I lived in England from 2002-2004. I had a flat on Chepstow Rd. in Notting Hill. Unfortunately, the Stones were far from hip among the younger folks in London. Far from hip. I could not find a Stones song on a jukebox anywhere in West London.

As a huge Stones fan, I made it my mission to see where the Stones fit into English popular culture. The answer I got, was that Mick had turned into a characiture of himself, and that the Stones were no longer important. Bands like The Hives and The Strokes got all the airplay.

It wasn't that the English didn't appreciate older artists, Bob Dylan and Tom Wait were very popular, but there was a certain resentment for the Stones. Like they were overblown and pro-establishment.

By the way, to argue that "Goddess in the Doorway" was not an unmitigated flop in the UK is just silly. It was a massive flop, and it had nothing to do with Virgin. Come on, open your eyes and accept reality. To argue and make excuses for its failure is to lose your integrity on all points. Know a losing argument when you see one and just have a laugh. "Goddess" was flatly rejected in England.
September 18th, 2005 05:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
jcdesq wrote:
By the way, to argue that "Goddess in the Doorway" was not an unmitigated flop in the UK is just silly. It was a massive flop, and it had nothing to do with Virgin. Come on, open your eyes and accept reality. To argue and make excuses for its failure is to lose your integrity on all points. Know a losing argument when you see one and just have a laugh. "Goddess" was flatly rejected in England.

of course, Goddess was a flop. It flopped everywhere. But the figure you quoted was plain wrong, which was the point I was making

..and you should have travelled outside London more!
September 18th, 2005 05:32 PM
jcdesq I went all over the UK, and loved the good people, even though they dismissed my beloved Stones. I liked the Higlands of Scotland the best, where I stayed right across from the MaCallan distillery, at the amazing Craigallachie Hotel, where they had the largest collection of single malt whisky in the world. I got so drunk that I punched my blind sister in the face and stole her purse, so I could come up with enough quid to get a prostitute. Unfortunately, there are no women in the Highlands of Scotland, so I had to settle for a man named Seamus, who gave me a handjob and took me fly fishing on his farm.

http://www.craigellachie.com/
September 18th, 2005 07:32 PM
Steel Wheels Hey, if Chris enjoys the album and feels it's one of the best albums, so be it. Let him enjoy the Stones.

Is A Bigger Bang one of the best Stones albums?

Yes.

Every song fits on the album. There seems to be a tight connection between every track. It goes by quickly and leaves me wanting more. Not one song sticks out as being out of place.

I feel that many of the classic albums have a song or two that are out of place, but A Bigger Bang, in my book, is their strongest album of all time and not one song is out of place.

September 18th, 2005 07:45 PM
Soldatti Macca's album BARELY made the top 10 this week with ALL the respect of critics and general people and selling only 1/3 of the Stones first week sales.

The Stones album didn't get the #1 by mere 11 copies in the whole country, actually it was the #1 album in Great Britain but it lost in Northern Ireland.

The buying people in England IS NOT INTERESTED in old acts, that's all. The Stones fanbase in UK is bigger than any other old act, except Queen. Just see the low positions from Clapton or Dylan and you'll see a drop to #30 or something for Macca's album the next week.

How can you explain that the new David Gray album (who the hell is this guy?) sold 105,000 copies last week in UK and Macca (the most important artist of the world) only moved 17,000 copies during the same time?

Just think and enjoy that a new Stones album in 2005 reached #2.
September 18th, 2005 07:51 PM
Soldatti Oh, and I forgot something:
Goddess In The Doorway sold 60,000 copies in Britain and 1.200,000 worldwide, not bad for an album with UK first day sales of 953 copies...
September 18th, 2005 10:30 PM
texile jcd - you're a cynical fuck - but sady correct.....
i've known this for years ...i don't have to live in the uk to know that the stones are not cool or relevant to the larger cultural canvass - the stones stopped being "cool" after tattoo you - that's just a fact and to deny it is delusional........
as far as im concerned the stones will ALWAYS be the coolest, fiercest, most untouchable band ever....
but they don't have that coolness that lennon, dylan, even cash have - why? too much focus in the british press about the mick and jerry follies? mick's lack of creative output for too long? take your pick.........whatever the reason - i accepted it in 1985 after jagger's first solo album - and it was a hard pill to swallow.
September 19th, 2005 03:51 AM
pdog Alot of people are reluctant to buy new records, period. They want to know it's good. Saturday night I spun ABB for 3 hours straight while working. at least 10 people commented on how good it sounded, not surprised, but kinda blown away. This album will get attention, but the competition is fierce when you're over 60. I'm just glad I'm able to get alot of people to hear it. I don't care if they buy or DL shitty Mp3's, people like it and it's good!
I made $400.00 Saturday night too... I think it was The Stones.
September 19th, 2005 05:50 AM
hotlicks Hey Soldatti why are you blaming our wee country for the stones not reaching no 1 in the uk ???? sure did gazza and myself not buy bucketloads of the album !!!!
September 19th, 2005 07:22 AM
hotlicks Hey Jcdesq-- you mentioned "Shake That Thing" by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band-is the live album worth checking out ??
September 19th, 2005 07:36 AM
Gazza
quote:
hotlicks wrote:
Hey Soldatti why are you blaming our wee country for the stones not reaching no 1 in the uk ???? sure did gazza and myself not buy bucketloads of the album !!!!

indeed. It makes no difference where the missing 11 copies werent bought as its a count throughout the entire country, not region by region.

are we meeting for lunch this week? (posting it here saves me a text message)
September 19th, 2005 11:52 AM
jb Very sad, but not unexpected. Look, as I correctly predicted, the album has not even reached 150k in sales here in the US!!!! This album has only sold 396k world wide while kayne West sold 850k it's first week...and I can't blame the Stones, from what I heard, the album is good, they are promoting the hell out of it, and the have many great reviews...Quite simply, the Stones are irrelevant to all but around 200k haqrdcore fans world wide and the rst are casual observers who picked up the diwsc and go to the shows. We are not thought of in the same class as the Beatles, Macca, LZ, zetc..we are no longer considered the greatest band ever as U2 also usurped thattitle...we have no legacyleft other than our little board here.
September 19th, 2005 12:00 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
...and I can't blame the Stones, from what I heard, the album is good, they are promoting the hell out of it, and the have many great reviews...Quite simply, the Stones are irrelevant to all but around 200k haqrdcore fans world wide and the rst are casual observers who picked up the diwsc and go to the shows.

well you obviously mustnt be too hardcore if you can only judge the album 2nd hand and "from what I heard".

If you havent bought it then maybe you reckon theyre irrelevant as well?

(and being 'irrelevant' has nothing to do with sales, Josh. Celine Dion is hardly a 'relevant' musical act and she sells by the shitload)
September 19th, 2005 12:04 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

well you obviously mustnt be too hardcore if you can only judge the album 2nd hand and "from what I heard".

If you havent bought it then maybe you reckon theyre irrelevant as well?

(and being 'irrelevant' has nothing to do with sales, Josh. Celine Dion is hardly a 'relevant' musical act and she sells by the shitload)

Because she has a certain sex appeal and long legs...I would do her from behind and enjoy it.
September 19th, 2005 12:20 PM
stonesmik The English audience degenerated around 1970/75. Remember the slagging of "Exile". Remember punk, new wave and Oasis. They lost anything that's related to taste. They're stuck into being hip. The English guys will only see another Stones no. 1 hit when Keith plays piano on Elton John's funeral.
September 19th, 2005 12:25 PM
Gazza
quote:
stonesmik wrote:
The English audience degenerated around 1970/75. Remember the slagging of "Exile". Remember punk, new wave and Oasis. They lost anything that's related to taste. They're stuck into being hip. The English guys will only see another Stones no. 1 hit when Keith plays piano on Elton John's funeral.

yeah I remember the 'slagging' of Exile in that well-known English music paper "Rolling Stone"

Without punk, the Stones would not have given us Some Girls. They were rapidly becoming a parody of themselves by the mid 70's. Thankfully it gave them and music in general a good kick up the arse
September 19th, 2005 12:26 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

Because she has a certain sex appeal and long legs...I would do her from behind and enjoy it.

It would need to be from behind, because if you looked at her sideways you wouldnt be able to see her...

and from the front doesnt bear thinking about either.
September 19th, 2005 12:59 PM
Soldatti UK Second week sales:

#1 David Gray 114,258 (almost three times as many copies as the #1 & #2 last week)
#2 James Blunt 40,322

#10 Paul McCartney 22,732

#13 Rolling Stones 19,058

ABB UK total: 43,466 + 19,058: 62,524
September 19th, 2005 01:50 PM
hotlicks Gazza----how about friday lunchtime......u pick the bar and time......don't forget to bring dylan and the stones !!!
NORTHERN IRELAND 1 ENGLAND 0
ps.... maybe you and john fancy a pint after work ?
[Edited by hotlicks]
September 19th, 2005 04:48 PM
Gazza All of the above sounds good to me

Fuck The Glens
September 19th, 2005 10:06 PM
Riffhard I have said it before,but apparently it needs to be said again. The Stones have been a touring band since 1962,and a recording band since 1964. There is no way in hell that they should be selling as well as they are. Yet,there it is. They continue to sell. Not to the extent they did,but that has more to do with their age,and the fact that they took an eight year recording hiatus. That means that for almost an entire decade the Stones released no product(the four tracks on FF not withstanding). When a band takes that much time off their subsequent releases will reflect as much by lower sales. Program directors at radio stations have a very hard time placing them. Are they a current active rock group? No,but they are also not an oldies band with only a long in the tooth musical library to fall back on either. It's a tough call for PDs everywhere.

In the eight year absence since Bridges all the bands that are selling the millions now weren't even on the scenen back then. Hello Kanye West? Where was he eight years ago? Yet,I'd be willing to bet my last dollor that Kanye West will not be selling out Giants Stadium,Wembley,Madison Square Garden,...or selling any music thirty five years from now! Do you honestly think that Greenday will putting 70,000 asses in the seats of all the mega stadiums world wide in the years 2040?!?!

Give the Stones a break here I say. They are still writing the book,and when they do write the last chapter,and hang it up many people will start to sing their praises from the rooftops of London,New York,Paris,Tokyo,.....You can damn sure bank on that. That they are still considered relevant enough to warrant such a massive world tour,and the huge puplicity push they have received for ABB speaks volumes. Most bands that have only been around for a few years would give their left nuts to sell as well as the Stones have consistantly sold for five decades now! Five decades! Look at that again. FIVE DECADES!! No one as ever done that! Not Elvis,the Beatles,or anyone else for that matter. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Riffhard
September 19th, 2005 10:36 PM
Soldatti Great post Riffhard.
I don't know how many acts can reach the top 10 in 25 countries with a new studio album and sell more than 600,000 copies worldwide the first week.

I just see the Billboard radio monitor and Rough Justice reached the #1 on Heritage Rock, fucking great.
http://billboardradiomonitor.com/radiomonitor/charts/chart_highlights.jsp
September 22nd, 2005 05:43 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
a recording band since 1964.

Riffhard

1963!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)