ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks thanks Mr. Jimmy
Rogers Centre, Toronto September 26, 2005
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Soldier Field, Chicago, IL - 10th September - Setlist, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
September 11th, 2005 04:41 PM
gypsy
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
What did you do them?

Those hellions called me Friday night - sounded like they were having a great time. I am still envious and regret not being able to go.
I can't imagine what kind of state they're in today.
September 11th, 2005 05:50 PM
charlotte from the reports from Homeland Security is that the Chicago Summit participants are all back-safe but not sound!!
September 11th, 2005 07:57 PM
glencar
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
I think the RO Chicago Summiteers are dead.........

And I rise...

Great time in Chicago! My kind of town. Great party at Parmeda's who did nice work setting things up. I met great people & it really is a nice thing to meet other crazed Stones fans.The Chess Studio is restored somewhat & it's quite an thrill to see how things were done back in the old days. I missed the big talk w/Gypsy but "Hi!" anyway!

The pre-party was good fun & Pug's band got the chops. I did get a parking ticket on my rental car which was almost as much as the cost of my Stones ticket. When did all these municipalities get all full of themselves. There's lil chance I will actually pay it but one never knows...

The show itself was guitar driven. I liked seeing Shattered since I haven't seen it in years. I happened to be in an area of casual fans & they were constantly calling out warhorse titles so what can you do? ONNYA was a highlight for me but it received tepid applause from the crowd. Ay yi yi! Nevertheless, Chicago is one of my fave cities & Soldiers Field is a nice lil venue. I've never seen such clean bathrooms at a stadium in my life! BTW At Pug's party, I thought I saw SDH but I was wrong. The guy was Mike from some other board.
September 11th, 2005 07:57 PM
glencar And Tele was missed!
September 11th, 2005 08:09 PM
gypsy
quote:
glencar wrote:

And I rise...

Great time in Chicago! My kind of town. Great party at Parmeda's who did nice work setting things up. I met great people & it really is a nice thing to meet other crazed Stones fans.The Chess Studio is restored somewhat & it's quite an thrill to see how things were done back in the old days. I missed the big talk w/Gypsy but "Hi!" anyway!

I missed getting to chat with you for a minute or two. I thought perhaps you were shunning me, no?
September 11th, 2005 08:36 PM
nankerphelge My god, what a great time from the minute we got there to the minute we left.

We ended up at the Hotel 71. I won't steal anyone's thunder, but we were supposed to be in a moderately priced place for 2 nights. Well, that fell thru and we ended up with this incredibly nice hotel with a boardroom -- full 20 foot glass-toppe table with 15 or so high back leather chairs. We (LJ, SheRat, TomL, Fiji) held the Board meeting (so to speak) there before heading to Pam's place. Met Pete the poet who was just a great Jameson's kinda guy who cracked me up with his ability to turn on the Sout' Chicahgo accent.

Then a less-than-quick cab ride to Pam's for a wonderful backyard get together. Met Pam's husband who is the nicests guy and a gracious host. Thank you both again for you hospitality and the Newcastles!!! Anytime you come to DC -- I expect a call so I can return the favor! Lovedthe sauage! Met Boomy, Starbuck, Glencar, Polksalad, and Feej (looks just like the avatar) and some friends of theirs -- sorry that I can't remember everyone's name, but it was nice meeting y'all)

Trek back to Chicago with 48 people stuffed in Moe's cab. Went to Buddy Guy's bar -- great lil' blues bar that was surprisingly uncrowded. Met a chef and a computer tech for the band. Drank Heineken's until the band ended around 1:30 and then went to Kingston Mines, an impressive blues bar with 2 great blues bands and still no crowds (I am moving to Chicago). Drank much more beer! Got back to the Board room at 4:30.

Saturday had its share of casualties. We waked, we baked, we headed to 2120 Sout' Michigan. Took the tour then headed up to Hogs & Honey's. Choked down some nachos and a few beers and then back to the hotel for another Board meeting. Met up with the Duck from Shidoobee!

Then off to the show. It was a hot sticky humid night at Soldier Field. But what a show -- I think the best I have ever seen! The setlist was fine, but I swear the band was on fire in a way I have never seen before. The crowd was absolutely insane and I think the band really got off on it. Mick was great - his energy level was just remarkable and you could tell that the whole band was loose and having fun. At one point Mick went back to the drums and gave Charlie a little butt wiggle, to which Charlie got this smile and look like "what the fuck am I supposed to do with that" to which Mick spun around just laughing -- it was a great moment. They dropped in a very well done Ruby Tuesday and (unfortuantely) dropped BOMH -- BUT here's the interesting part and the reason why I think this was the best show I have ever seen -- they played all the songs -- ESPECIALLY the warhorses with a pride and seriousness and something to prove that was just incredible. It really hit me on JJF - just incredible! Reinforced in my mind that MY BAND is still #1! Saw a ton of floored newbies at the show!

Here's a fun one -- me, LJ, Pam, SheRat, TomL are standing by the beer/food line while the Los Lonely Boys were finishing up and this guy and his friend come over to me and he says, "excuse me, are you nankerphelge" -- the guy's name is Dave and he explained that he lurks some and that he actually knows Joey and turned him onto RO, and that he recognized my pic from the board! Dave and Renee, it was truly great to meet you both!! Hope to see you both again -- maybe in January!

After the show we wandered aimlessly back to downtown until the 40 of us could all pile in a cab again. Went to House of Blues for a while, but left at about 2 for the Mines again -- REAL blues! Got back at 4:30 again.

Nice steak and some Newcastles for lunch and it was back home.

I'm sure I missed some things -- but man what a great weekend, what a great time with you crazies, and what a band we idolize -- goddam if they are not the fucking greatest!

[Edited by nankerphelge]
September 11th, 2005 08:41 PM
glencar
quote:
gypsy wrote:

I missed getting to chat with you for a minute or two. I thought perhaps you were shunning me, no?

Never never never!
September 11th, 2005 08:45 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

9. Night Time

again.

anyone recall the interview b4 the tour when Keith said that they were gonna do a different cover each night with a different artist tribute theme each show.

a cool idea.

the Ray song is great. But its getting too much rotation. Lets mix in some Robert Johnson, Otis, Tempts, BB, Chuck, Muddy, Buddy, Dylan, Marley, Burke, Smokey, etc
September 11th, 2005 08:57 PM
Angiegirl Great stories Glencar and Nanky! Thanks for sharing, sounds like you had the time I'd imagined you'd have over there! Wish I could've been there with you guys.
September 11th, 2005 09:14 PM
jb So Tele and Lugar didn't show up..LMAO...How many shows has Lugar actually been to..... since I am a non-A player/poster(i.e. leg warmer) who since 75 has attended more than 40 shows, I wonder how many shows an "A" poster like Lugar and his kiss asses have attended. By the way, I'll be in New York this week and and can't wait to see what you great "A" posters are really like...I really can't wait to be cornered by such heavy and prolific thinkers.......You guys really fucking impress me.....I hope you impress your employers as much....
September 11th, 2005 09:55 PM
khalil78 Does anyone have pics of the show?

Thxs.
September 11th, 2005 10:11 PM
parmeda
quote:
khalil78 wrote:
Does anyone have pics of the show?

Thxs.

I am downloading them as I type...be patient, lol

Voo, Gazza...get ready to be bombarded!

Oh, and khalil78...welcome!
September 11th, 2005 10:32 PM
glencar
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

again.

anyone recall the interview b4 the tour when Keith said that they were gonna do a different cover each night with a different artist tribute theme each show.

a cool idea.

the Ray song is great. But its getting too much rotation. Lets mix in some Robert Johnson, Otis, Tempts, BB, Chuck, Muddy, Buddy, Dylan, Marley, Burke, Smokey, etc

Well, I'm glad I got to see Night Time. I might be in the minority but I thought that performance kicked ass!
September 11th, 2005 10:33 PM
glencar Joshy, don't be so miserable. Will you be wearing the headband on Tuesday? I hope to meet you but not if yer gonna be such a dick. Gabeesh?
September 11th, 2005 11:00 PM
nankerphelge So, last night after the show, I'm at the Kingston Mines blues club and I get the megamunchies and across the street I see La Bamba, a place advertising burritos "as big as your head" -- so I figure that's a good deal and I go over and I am in line and all of a sudden these 3 guys come in with a tree.

You read that right, a tree!
Not some little shrubbery.
A frickin' tree about 10 feet tall -- they set it in one of the booths and then they all order food and sit there, with the tree, eating!

Have to admit -- that's a new one.

September 11th, 2005 11:05 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
A frickin' tree about 10 feet tall -- they set it in one of the booths and then they all order food and sit there, with the tree, eating!

Musta been Chuck and family.
September 11th, 2005 11:11 PM
parmeda Pictures have been sent to Voo & Gazza!

Nanky...remember the one of Ronnie & Mick I showed ya last night?
Wait until you see it up-close-and-in-yer-face

...has to be my favorite of the bunch

[Edited by parmeda]
September 12th, 2005 12:37 AM
colditalianpizza Well, that was my first Stones show and I thought it was awesome. I thought Night Time and Sympathy were really good. Also, I just moved to Chicago from St. Louis, and I've seen a lot of concerts up here and Chicago fans make performances a lot better by singing along and such.

Does anybody know why IORR is lyrically abridged - it's hard to sing along to when the words get changed.

And regarding La Bambas - that's kind of an Illinois staple. It's a really popular restaraunt in Illinois college towns because it's open really late and wasted kids go there at night.
September 12th, 2005 01:49 AM
Nashr8521 So I was at the show last night and it motiviated me to move up from lurker status to start posting. I was wondering if anyone had pics from the show last night or had read any intresting reviews yet.

Thanks
September 12th, 2005 04:10 AM
Jeep From the Chicago Sun-Times :

Stones still packing some flash
BY JIM DEROGATIS Pop Music Critic
September 12, 2005

http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/cst-ftr-stones12.html

Of the 10 times I've seen the Rolling Stones in the last 15 years, Saturday's sold-out show at Soldier Field didn't measure up to Shea Stadium in 1989, when they dug deep for golden nuggets such as "Happy," "2000 Light Years From Home," "Dead Flowers" and "Play With Fire," or their intimate gig at the Aragon in 2002, when they cut loose on a set full of choice covers and highlights from "Exile on Main Street."

Yet surprisingly -- given the mostly pedestrian set list, yet another mediocre new album, a barely there Keith Richards and the ugly, antiseptic setting of the new Soldier Field (which both Richards and Mick Jagger praised several times, making them the only people in the world who seem to like the redesigned enormodome) -- the self-proclaimed "world's greatest rock 'n' roll band" was better than any other time I've seen it: more fiery, more passionate and seemingly more inspired.

Much of the credit was due, as always, to Charlie Watts, who at age 64 remains the Zen master of the simple but undeniable stadium-shaking backbeat, and, unexpectedly, to Ron Wood, who displayed a sharper edge and a more fluid groove than on any tour I've witnessed. Woody tore through one explosive solo after another, elevating songs such as "Start Me Up" (the too-predictable opener), "Shattered" and the classic "Tumbling Dice" (which was marred by the under-amplified horn section), and covering for the mostly M.I.A. Richards

With the exception of some silly fireworks, an even sillier paisley-adorned, giant inflatable tongue and a cool B stage that moved across the field toward the end of the show, the Stones wisely kept the focus on the music, with no overdone spectacles to distract from the power of "Ruby Tuesday," "Shattered," "She's So Cold" or "Bitch," the high points of the night.

To be sure, there were problems. The out-of-it Richards dragged things down on his two-song spotlight turn with a beyond-hammy version of "The Worst" and the poor choice of "Infamy," his awful track from "A Bigger Bang." At 90 minutes and 21 songs, the show was short and skimpy; for those in the $450 seats, that was $5 a minute or $21.43 per tune. And with the exceptions mentioned above, the set once again pandered to casual fans who only own "Hot Rocks" by delivering many of the most tired hits: "Miss You," "Honky Tonk Women," "Satisfaction" and "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll."

It must also be said that in the city that Buddy Guy, Otis Clay, Junior Wells and so many other giants of the blues call home, the Stones should be ashamed of themselves for inviting Jim Belushi and Dan Aykroyd to open with a pathetic, shtick-filled, third-rate imitation of the once-great Blues Brothers routine.

But don't take my word for it

Of course, while the history I bring to a Stones show carries the benefit of perspective, I'm aware that I have long since become immune to the power of simply seeing these rock giants in the flesh.

To counteract that, I went to Soldier Field accompanied by an assistant reviewer.

Rachel Good, 23, is a passionate, extremely knowledgeable, hard-core Stones fan whose favorite albums are "Between the Buttons" and "Flowers." In 2002, she camped out in front of the Aragon just to get a glimpse of their limo.

Young fan's view

Then as now, the aspiring music critic, who is waiting tables before returning to college, couldn't afford the ticket price but desperately wanted to see the show.

"I've never had the experience of seeing them, so I don't have anything to compare it to," Good said after the concert. "I was just so excited to be in the vicinity." Nevertheless, her critique is spot-on.

"Early on, when they did those three in a row of 'Ruby Tuesday,' 'Shattered' and 'Bitch,' I thought that was the highlight of the show. Those are songs I actually wanted to hear, the crowd was the most excited during them and the band seemed so much more energetic and excited to be playing those than they were at the end, when they did that run of 'Satisfaction' and 'Jumping Jack Flash.' Those just seemed phoned in."

The worst parts of the night? "That giant inflatable tongue; it was just stupid and awful, summing up the Stones at their worst," Good said. "And I love Keith so much -- he's my favorite Stone -- so I don't even really want to go here. But I don't know why he dragged out 'The Worst,' which was aptly titled, and it just seemed like a lot of his genius has been eroded. Also, he went through more costume changes than Mick, which I thought was surprising."

Ah, yes, Mick. At 62, Jagger is 39 years older than Good -- old enough to be her grandfather. Nevertheless, the craggy frontman won her affections. "I love the way he moved onstage: He looked like he was moving just because he was having fun," she said. "There were hollows in his face like I've never seen, and he does look like Frankenstein. But he was a sexy Frankenstein."

Adding it up

The bottom line: "I definitely think that show was worth $100. I would have paid that, and that's a quarter of my rent. But $450 is crazy, and as much as I love them and really wanted to see them, I could have never done it."

I've asked this question before, but it's always worth posing again: Who would you rather play for, Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ron: A huge stadium full of wealthy people who don't know any of your music beyond the classic-rock play list, or a slightly smaller, marginally less lucrative venue full of Rachel Goods -- whether they're 23 or 63 -- to whom your amazing catalog is as vibrant as it was when you were recording it?

I keep hoping that maybe, just maybe, some day before they're finally gone, the Stones will give us the answer so many fans want and deserve.
[Edited by Jeep]
[Edited by Jeep]
September 12th, 2005 08:47 AM
throbby NANKY! Great vibes me now has after reading your Chicago tale. Me hard like brick!
September 12th, 2005 09:21 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy, don't be so miserable. Will you be wearing the headband on Tuesday? I hope to meet you but not if yer gonna be such a dick. Gabeesh?

I am only responding in kind to posts about me......I am far from a "dicK'...but even I get sick of the arrogance at times.
September 12th, 2005 09:45 AM
Gazza On audio evidence (listening to it now), the best show of the tour so far from the six that I've heard.

Pam's pictures (as you can see from today's header) were excellent, but I didnt have time this morning to upload them before going to work. We'll work on them later today. Thanks again, Pam
September 12th, 2005 10:21 AM
glencar Can we make this board a Jim DeRogatis-free Zone? He seems to be mad at the Stones for something they did years ago & his commentary is bland & brings nothing to the table. That review really deflates me for some reason.
September 12th, 2005 10:22 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Here are Pam's picture directly from her photo album

September 12th, 2005 10:23 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Do you see those pictures? I'm asking because I'm making the hot-link directly from her book, thanks again Parmeda for sending such a great souvenir!!

There are 24 more, but first let me know if you see it
September 12th, 2005 10:28 AM
Joey

Sounds like Everyone had a BLAST !!!!

Damn --- I should have been there .......

J. Fly !
September 12th, 2005 10:35 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

September 12th, 2005 10:38 AM
glencar Yes Gerardo, we can see those awesome pix! Mick looks really young in that 4th pic or so where he's got his hands above his eyes trying to see into the crowd.
September 12th, 2005 10:39 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)