ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1980 Annie Leibovitz
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Johnny Ramone Dies At 55 Return to archive
September 16th, 2004 12:19 AM
Soldatti From Billboard.com

Punk Legend Johnny Ramone Dies At 55

Johnny Ramone, guitarist and co-founder of the seminal punk band the Ramones, has died at the age of 55. Ramone died in his sleep Wednesday afternoon (Sept. 15) at his Los Angeles home surrounded by friends and family, his publicist said. He had battled prostate cancer for five years, and was hospitalized in June at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

Ramone, born John Cummings, was one of the original members of the Ramones, whose no-nonsense, three-chord rock'n'roll influenced a generation of future bands. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

Lead singer Joey Ramone (real name: Jeff Hyman) died in 2001 of lymphatic cancer. Bassist Dee Dee Ramone, who was born Douglas Colvin, died from a drug overdose in 2002.

Ramone was too ill to attend a tribute concert and cancer research fund-raiser held Sunday in Los Angeles to celebrate the band's 30th anniversary. It featured performances by Los Angeles punk band X, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Henry Rollins and Pearl Jam lead singer Eddie Vedder.

A similar event is on tap for Oct. 8 at New York's Spirit club, featuring the Strokes and Blondie.

Along with his wife, Linda Cummings, Ramone was surrounded at his death by Vedder and Rob and Sherrie Zombie. Other friends who gathered at his Los Angeles home included Lisa Marie Presley, Pete Yorn, Vincent Gallo and Talia Shire.

Ramone was said to have been working on his memoirs with Washington Times reporter Steve Miller.
September 16th, 2004 02:12 AM
blueswave Sorry to hear this. I have just recently finished reading Dee Dee Ramone's Lobotomy. I actually didn't know he OD'd in 2002. Is Joey still with us?
September 16th, 2004 02:46 AM
FotiniD Really sad and awful news Cancer sucks.
RIP Johnny.
September 16th, 2004 06:42 AM
LadyJane Even when you expect to hear it, it still SUCKS!!

RIP, Johnny.

Thanks for the music.

LJ.
September 16th, 2004 07:48 AM
J.J.Flash WHAT THE FUCK?!?!? One more, again.....goddman disease...why?

RIP
September 16th, 2004 10:42 AM
Gimme Shelter Yeah, I just heard this on the radio. That sucks.
September 16th, 2004 11:30 AM
Phog A real downer. RIP Johnny.
September 16th, 2004 11:52 AM
Sir Stonesalot Goodbye Ramones.

I remember Rock n Roll radio.

I'll be keepin' the faith.
September 16th, 2004 12:33 PM
Nasty Habits It's the end the end of the seventies
It's the end the end of the century

September 16th, 2004 12:45 PM
Gibbons
quote:
blueswave wrote:
Is Joey still with us?

No.
September 16th, 2004 12:45 PM
Factory Girl RIP Johnny. Thanks for the great music.
September 16th, 2004 03:19 PM
glencar RIP Brother Ramone. Your music & your sanity will be greatly missed.
September 16th, 2004 05:31 PM
Sir Stonesalot Gabba Gabba Hey
September 16th, 2004 07:00 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Now I wanna be sedated, shit!
September 16th, 2004 08:04 PM
Soldatti RIP Johnny
September 16th, 2004 09:31 PM
Dan Psycho Therapy
Psycho Therapy
Psycho Therapy
That's what they wanna give me
Psycho Therapy
Psycho Therapy
Psycho Therapy
All they wanna give me

I am a teenage schizoid
The one your parents despise
Psycho Therapy
Now I got glowing eyes

I am a teenage schizoid
Pranks and muggings are fun
Psycho Therapy
Gonna kill someone

Psycho Therapy
Psycho Therapy

I like takin' Tuinal
It keeps me edgy and mean
I am a teenage schizoid
I am a teenage dope fiend

I am a kid in the nuthouse
I am a kid in the psycho zone
Psycho Therapy
I'm gonna burglarize your home

Psycho Therapy
Psycho Therapy

September 16th, 2004 10:02 PM
Madafaka Bye, bye Johnny. Thank you for the magic. I'll miss you.
September 17th, 2004 10:37 AM
CS September 17, 2004 -- With Johnny Ramone's tragic death this week, the Curse of the Ramones continued its cruel legacy in the hard-living world of rock 'n' roll.
Johnny, 55, whose real name was John Cummings, died at his home in Los Angeles Wednesday after losing a valiant 10-year battle with prostate cancer.

His sad passing follows the deaths of two other founding members of America's legendary punk-rock band, which churned out 21 albums between 1976 and 1996.

Dee Dee Ramone died from a heroin overdose in June 2002, and Joey Ramone from lymphatic cancer in April 2001. The only living original member is now drummer Tommy Ramone.

And with three of the guitar-crunching quartet gone, the curse that many rock fans feared was plaguing the Ramones has struck yet again.

"It does seem so strange that this band was snake-bitten health-wise," said Ken Dashow, veteran DJ of classic rock station WAXQ. "They lived hard, but so did Keith Richards — and he's still going strong."

Gary Kurfirst, the Ramones' longtime manager, said the curse might be the result of the group's years of hard-partying wildness.

"It's dreadful what has happened. Three of them now gone," Kurfirst told The Post. "They lived hard and they died hard."

The freaky foursome, who were not related, first met in Forest Hills, Queens, where they grew up as teenagers and made their name at CBGB in the mid-'70s, pounding out hits like as "I Wanna be Sedated" and "Rock 'n' Roll High School."

And as the Godfathers of Punk, they lived on diets of drugs, booze and fast food, all of which took their toll.

Joey was the first to go three years ago. His untimely death prompted city officials to name the corner of Bowery and Second Street, by CBGB, "Joey Ramone Place" last November