ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1980 Annie Leibovitz
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Mojo Mag Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 15th, 2004 12:40 PM
stewed & Keefed IN THE OCTOBER 2004 ISSUE OF MOJO...

FREE RADIO CLASH CD
Includes unreleased Joe Strummer track, and music hand-picked by Mick Jones and Paul Simonon, including Mikey Dread, I Roy, 101'ers, Television Personalities, Janie Jones, Thea Gilnore, Sam & Dave and more!

ROLLING STONES
Finally available on DVD, the Stones' Rock And Roll Circus TV Special marked the peak of hippy lunacy and the metamorphosis of the band into the Satanic rock monolith of Beggars Banquet and beyond. Eyewitness revelations by David Dalton, Keefology by Charles Shaar Murray. Incredible photos by Ethan Russell and Michael Joseph.

THE CLASH
25 years on, London Calling and the madness beyond. How "success" led to punch-ups, a frozen boar's head for dinner in Detroit and - craziest of all - the commercial suicide of Sandinista! The full, exclusive story by official Clashographer Pat Gilbert. Perspectives by David Fricke, Don Letts and Ray Lowry.

TOM WAITS
The gravelly enigma's most revealing ever interview. Including: the inside track on his wayward dad, his exacting wife and, oh yes, the day he shot his best friend in the hip. Your inquisitor: Sylvie Simmons.

MARK LANEGAN
Sucked in by crack, run over (literally) by a tractor - he should be dead. Instead he's making the best alt blues east of the Mississippi. How the "grunge Leonard Cohen" survived, by Keith Cameron.

BUDDY HOLLY
A blinding insight into the geek genius of rock - icon to The Beatles, songwriting tutor to the Stones - by legendary writer Greil Marcus. Plus: the surviving Crickets remember Buddy the unlikely style guru: "He used to taper his jeans, man!"

Plus... The Ramones ruck! Nancy Sinatra draws! Legendary photographer Jim Marshall swears! And more on Hendrix, Zeppelin, and The Soundtrack Of Our Lives...

THE MOJO FILTER
Albums
At last! Brian Wilson's Smile! And newies by Nick Cave, R.E.M., Elvis Costello and Dizzee Rascal. But which three have secured MOJO's Instant Classic five star status?

Reissues
The Mamas And The Papas, The Clash, Cream, Vic Chesnutt, Gong and more.

DVDs
Neil Young's eco-opera Greendale, plus small-screen capers with Oasis and Tom Dowd.

Books
This month's big reads: Johnny Cash, Sammy Davis Jr. and The Creation.

Lives
Little Steven's garage-fest, plus 'world music hater' David Byrne rocks, er, WOMAD.

How To Buy
Can, Cluster or Kraftwerk? Your essential guide to Krautrock.

[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
September 15th, 2004 12:43 PM
jb Mojo has traditionally been more favorable to the Stones than Q....
September 15th, 2004 12:50 PM
caro On a side note, Mojo is a cool mag, content-wise and visually. That cover kicks ass!
September 15th, 2004 10:47 PM
Soldatti Great cover...
September 16th, 2004 07:26 AM
Mr Hess and MOJO is always a good read!
September 16th, 2004 07:37 AM
FotiniD OMG!!!!!!!

This is an AMAZING cover. Amazing. Amazing. Have to get it.
[Edited by FotiniD]
September 16th, 2004 12:09 PM
Sir Stonesalot No doubt MOJO loves the Stones...so does Uncut(current cover story...The Kinks!). Q is the Brit version of Rolling Stone...and that is why it sucks.

Funny enough though JB...The Beatles have the current MOJO cover.

Oh, and the CDs that come with MOJO and Uncut are always cool.

There is no way that Spin or Rolling Stone would ever include a free CD with every issue. And if they did...the CDs would SUCK because the people doing the compiling suck. The US music rags are sad. Does Rolling Stone even do articles about rock and roll music anymore? It's all movie stars, rap dudes, teen idols, politics, Hilfiger ads, and meaningless lists. Fuck Rolling Stone....they dropped the torch.
September 16th, 2004 12:12 PM
egon gimme gimme gimme
September 16th, 2004 07:45 PM
Soldatti I don't know if will be available as import here.
September 16th, 2004 09:45 PM
Mr Hess
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

There is no way that Spin or Rolling Stone would ever include a free CD with every issue. And if they did...the CDs would SUCK because the people doing the compiling suck. The US music rags are sad. Does Rolling Stone even do articles about rock and roll music anymore? It's all movie stars, rap dudes, teen idols, politics, Hilfiger ads, and meaningless lists. Fuck Rolling Stone....they dropped the torch.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
September 17th, 2004 05:29 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
No doubt MOJO loves the Stones...so does Uncut(current cover story...The Kinks!). Q is the Brit version of Rolling Stone...and that is why it sucks.

Funny enough though JB...The Beatles have the current MOJO cover.

Oh, and the CDs that come with MOJO and Uncut are always cool.

the thing that they gave Goddes a 5 star review said enough for me!
September 17th, 2004 08:19 AM
scratched Q Magazine used to be the daddy - up until about three or four years ago. The interviews were always insightful and humourous and you always learnt something new from the articles. They fucked it though. REM and Travis features started to appear in every issue and it went downhill from there to the murkey depths of Timberlake/Aguillera/whoeverthefuck.

Shite!
September 17th, 2004 07:57 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
the thing that they gave Goddes a 5 star review said enough for me!

Goddess 5 stars?
That's funny...
September 17th, 2004 08:45 PM
glencar I liked GITD & even I think 5 stars is overrating the damned thing!
September 17th, 2004 08:53 PM
Bloozehound bite the bullet

rock is dead

sad but true
September 17th, 2004 09:35 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
bite the bullet

rock is dead

sad but true

I agree 101%

This is the worst time for the rock since 1952, even the 80's and 90's were a great time in comparison with the Top tracks now.
Just look the US Top 40 this week: the first "rock act" is Linkin' Park at #20 and then Seether at #38, 2 songs on the Top 40!. The next rock act is Green Day at #62 and then only 4 other rock acts are on the Hot 100, Velvet Revolver twice. In ressume: 6 "rock" acts and 7 "rock" songs are on the Hot 100 this week.
You ask for R&B/Hip Hop? 88/100 songs!

The Rock is death? Yes, and long death at least for the masses.
September 17th, 2004 10:35 PM
Sir Stonesalot I have said it before, I will say it again...Rock & Roll is NOT dead. Not even close. I go to several rock and roll shows every month...and there are bunches of shows that I can't get to because of my work schedule.

Piss on the fuckin' charts. Who gives a fuck what is being played on the radio. Why do you care what other people are listening to? If YOU listen to Rock and Roll...if YOU buy Rock and Roll albums...if YOU go to Rock and Roll shows...then Rock and Roll cannot be dead. If there is just one person out there carrying the torch...then Rock and Roll is alive and well. Fortunately there's lots and lots of folks out there still holding that flame high.

Is the Rock and Roll scene as large as it used to be...is it in a "hayday" or a golden period? No it isn't. But that doesn't mean that it is dead.

It is still out there...all you gotta do is find it...be a part of it. Sure, you gotta clear some of the trash outta the way...but anything worthwhile takes some effort.

People who say Rock and Roll is dead...well, they are misinformed. Or they simply don't want to make any kind of effort to find, and support it. And that's OK. To each his/her own. I know what I like, and if it isn't "popular", or "shifting units", so what??? That does not mean that it is dead.

Look back over the brief 50 year history of Rock & Roll. It's popularity has always been cyclitic. There have always been low points. But every time we hit a nadir...something big happens to revitalize the scene. And it will happen again. I do not know when or where it will come from, or what it will be called. But I know what it will sound like. It will sound like Rock and Roll.

Oh ye of little faith.
September 17th, 2004 11:15 PM
Soldatti Of course that the rock is there but in minimum representation of the current music scene. I can't see many "ROCK" acts on this days, and when I said "Rock" is not "punky" bands as Linkin' Park. Maybe "Velvet Revolver" but they are far away from the Guns and Roses days.
I was always happy here in Argentina because all that US R&B crap never was on the radio, but this last year was a virus: all the radios playing the same thing! I can't believe it.
All that radios during the 90's and 2000-2003 were all rock friendly but now all is over.
Now there are only 1 rock radio on the whole country but for the lack of US/Europeans rock groups they are playing only poor and horrible local artists. A very sad year here and the thing is getting worse.
September 18th, 2004 01:04 AM
gypsy SS, if you ever get divorced, I want to shack up with you...after we get you that 'vette of course. Hell, we can shack up in the 'vette.
September 18th, 2004 10:27 AM
Lambchop*
quote:
gypsy wrote:
SS, if you ever get divorced, I want to shack up with you...after we get you that 'vette of course. Hell, we can shack up in the 'vette.

When you do shack up in his 'vette, please pick a painting from this site as my shack up gift to you both:

http://www.vallejo.spb.ru/gallery.htm

September 18th, 2004 10:29 AM
egon
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
bite the bullet

rock is dead

sad but true

rock is merely taking a power nap!

are we clear on this?
September 18th, 2004 12:32 PM
gypsy I wasn't thinking that big, Lamby. I was thinking a snazzy airbrushed license plate from the State Fair to put on the front. One of those that reads "SS Loves Gyps." Something classy.
September 18th, 2004 11:11 PM
Soldatti
quote:
egon wrote:
rock is merely taking a power nap!
are we clear on this?

Ok...
September 19th, 2004 12:31 AM
Sir Stonesalot Gypsy...

We can quit our jobs, buy a funnel cake trailer and hop from fair to fair making funnel cakes for the unwashed heathens. In the night, after counting our daily take, we can spread out a blanket under the stars and make sweet sweet moogly until the cows come home.

We'd hafta get a trailer hitch for the Vette.

Soldatti...

Do people still listen to the radio? I gave up on the radio about 10 years ago. Like I said before...who cares if rock and roll has X number of acts in the charts? The charts, to me, are completely meaningless. I mean, why should we care what the charts say? You need to seperate commercial success from the equation. So rock and roll goes back into small clubs...is that so bad??? What could be better than a screamin' rock and roll band in a hot, heaving, sweaty club??? That's where it's AT man! Fuck big damn arenas and fuck big stupid stadiums. Those big ass places suck the life outta the music.

You gotta get me to the world on time.

Fuck 'em. Ignore the charts. Follow your heart. Rock and Roll is THERE.
September 19th, 2004 01:09 AM
gypsy Huh-uh! I thought I was the only one who quit listening to the radio years ago. I swear. All I listen to are my CD's.
Damn you, SS. Just when I think I can move on without you, you go and win my heart again.
September 19th, 2004 11:33 AM
Sir Stonesalot I know what you are saying Gypsy...why listen to some shitty radio station when you can just play a CD of whatever you want to hear?

Be your own "on air personality". I mean, after all....you know what you like better than some silly radio talking head.

No offense meant to Riffhard.....or any other regulars who work in radio.

Clear Channel sucks.

And my dearest G....you know that there are cosmic forces at work here. Forces that we mere mortals cannot possibly fathom....or resist. It is like gravity.

It is our destiny to be the undisputed King & Queen of fried dough.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
September 19th, 2004 02:39 PM
Soldatti Your right Sir, the Rock'n Roll is there, a little in the shadows but there after all.
September 19th, 2004 02:49 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh Soldatti! You are SAVED!!!

For those of pure faith, the shadows do not matter. If Rock and Roll moves to the shadows...WE move into the shadows with it.

And there we are, standing in the shadows, happy with the music that we enjoy.

Besides....staying out in the sun too long is bad for you.
September 19th, 2004 03:10 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

We'd hafta get a trailer hitch for the Vette.

This is my gift for the back of your hitch:

Don't write off radio. Radio in your neck of the woods in beyond horrible. I know, remember. There is something wonderful about driving through Big Sur and on the radio "California Saga/Big Sur" by the Beach Boys comes on. It's all about loss of control and the beauty of serendipitous timing. Radio in California, NYC, Boston, Chicago, but hit or miss lately, etc. You need to live where like souls congregate, otherwise you'll just be grumpy and think you are the only person in the universe with good taste.

Anyway - I'm off to see a Serbo-Austrian electro Turk band...instead of Celticfest.

September 19th, 2004 03:45 PM
DJAsh Getting back to the theme of Free Cover-Mounted CD's given away with magazines like Uncut and Mojo .....

The money grabbing music industry in the UK have started to whinge about this , saying giving away freebies "cheapens" the product available in the shops (or online).

Thats rubbish . The thing is that CD's given away by the likes of Mojo include info and pointers as to which album the track is available on ...free promotion for the record manufacturers , artists etc.
Page: 1 2