ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mick and Ronnie by Lynn Goldsmith
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Enigma Premier in Edinburgh Return to archive
08-19-01 12:31 AM
CS Scots rain has ruined my hair, says Kate Winslet

Kate Winslet arrived for the international premiere of her latest film and said the wet Edinburgh weather had ruined her hair style.

She was joined by her co-stars as Enigma was given its first screening outside the US at the Edinburgh Film Festival.

The actress said she had only arrived in Scotland an hour before and had to put her make up on in a hurry.

She said: "I only got here off the plane half-an-hour ago, so it's been a bit of a rush.

"I didn't have long to put my make up on and the rain outside has made my hair go a bit funny."

Winslett also revealed what attracted her to the part of Hester Wallace, the heroine who assists a brilliant mathematician in his attempt to crack the German Navy's secret codes during the Second World War.

She said: "She is completely unglamorous, doesn't wear much make up and also wears really dodgy glasses. There aren't many nice costumes in this film.

"She's quite boring, but she's a really good character and was a real challenge for me to play."

The film's producer, Rolling Stones singer Mick Jagger, was due at the gala screening, but had to pull out at the 11th hour.

Fife-born actor Dougray Scott plays the film's leading character Tom Jericho. He turned up for the beginning of the premiere but left after 15 minutes to watch Hibs play Rangers on TV in a nearby pub.

He said: "It's really nice to be here, but I'd rather be at Ibrox where the match is being played. In fact I'm going to nip out to the pub to watch the game later on."

Story filed: 19:58 Saturday 18th August 2001

RELATED
08-19-01 11:46 AM
CS Actress Winslet in Corsets for Latest Film

Actress Kate Winslet has revealed how she had to squeeze into figure-hugging corsets to stop herself looking overweight and pregnant on the set of her latest movie 'Enigma.' "I just got so fat, so we used to strap everything in to make it not show. I was about six months pregnant by the end," she told reporters at the 'Enigma' premier at the Edinburgh film Festival August 18, 2001. Winslet is seen at the Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles in this March 11 file photo. (Fred Prouser/Reuters)

By Ed Cropley

EDINBURGH (Reuters) - ``Titanic'' actress Kate Winslet has revealed how she had to squeeze into figure-hugging corsets to stop herself looking overweight and pregnant on the set of her latest movie ``Enigma.''

``I just got so fat, so we used to strap everything in to make it not show. I was about six months pregnant by the end,'' she told reporters at the Enigma premier at the Edinburgh film Festival on Saturday.

But the 25-year-old British actress, who braved the wintry Scottish weather in a slinky black dress and light blue denim jacket, said the look went well with her character, Hester, a dowdy code-breaker in the World War Two spy thriller.

``I did look quite podgy which kind of worked with a boffin,'' Winslet said.

Enigma, adapted from British author Robert Harris's best-selling novel, tells the tale of Bletchley Park, Britain's top-secret code-breaking unit set up to smash the famous Enigma cypher used by the German U-boats.

In an all-British line-up, Winslet stars opposite up-and-coming Scottish actor Dougray Scott who plays genius mathematician and ace codebreaker Tom.

And British actress Saffron Burrows plays Claire, his bewitching ex-lover and colleague whose sudden disappearance sparks the hunt for the mole who could expose the best kept Allied secret of the war to the Germans.

Hundreds of fans turned up in the pouring rain to catch a glimpse of the stars, even though soccer-mad Scott confessed he would rather be watching his beloved Hibernian playing football in Glasgow than appearing at the premier.

There was also disappointment for those who wanted to see Rolling Stone Mick Jagger, who made his production debut with Enigma.

The rubber-lipped rocker failed to make it on the night, but Winslet said Jagger, famous also for his passion for spy stories, had made the transition from the stage to screen with ease.

``He was there with like everyone else with his wellington boots on, and really getting into it. He was great,'' Winslet said.

08-19-01 11:48 AM
CS Kate's Bad Hair Day

Kate and Saffron

Kate Winslet blamed the rainy Scottish weather for ruining her hair style when she turned up to the film premiere of her latest film, Enigma.

The 25-year-old actress arrived at the Edinburgh Film Festival just an hour before the screening and complained she had to put her face on in a bit of a rush.

She said: "I only got off the plane half an hour ago. I didn't have long to put my make-up on and the rain outside has made my hair go a bit funny."

'In his boots'

The film, which also stars Dougray Scott who played the bad guy in Mission Impossible 2, tells the story of the mathematician who tried to crack the German navy's secret codes during the Second World War.

Actress Saffron Burrows was also at the premiere but Rolling Stone Mick Jagger, who produced the film, had to pull out at the last moment.

Kate said: "Mick was on set a lot of the time and he was absolutely brilliant. It's quite easy for people to say he was just a name attached to a project, but he was the driving force behind it and he was there all the time being the producer and wearing his wellington boots."

Dougray left the screening just 15 minutes in to watch Rangers play Hibs on television in a nearby pub. He said: "It's really nice to be here, but I'd rather be at Ibrox where the match is being played."
08-20-01 10:01 AM
Jaxx Unmissable TV
Monday August 20, 2001

Much-delayed Winslet/Jagger Film to get US Release

Much discussed and much delayed, the World War II romantic spy thriller Engima was greeted warmly at its premiere in Edinburgh on Saturday.

Scott and Winslet

And one of the production companies behind it has revealed that Enigma will finally get a release in the US next February, well over a year after it was made.

The film, co-produced by Mick Jagger and starring Kate Winslet and Dougray Scott, chronicles the work of a group of decoders working round the clock to crack the German Enigma coding machine. A spokesman for Intermedia said it received a fantastic reception in Edinburgh.

He said: 'It was a very enthusiastic audience, much inspired by the presence of local star Dougray Scott, Kate Winslet, the director [Michael Apted] and [the writer] Robert Harris.'

Enigma will get a UK release on September 28, however the film has struggled to get a US release after its debut at the Sundance Festival in January.

Manhattan Pictures will distribute it in the US, but not until next February. US reports suggested that the release of the critically-praised movie was delayed because it was seen as hard to market to US film audiences.

The Times

MONDAY AUGUST 20 2001

Missing Jagger is enigma of film's premiere

BY NICOLA WOODCOCK

THE must-see UK film of the year is supposed to be Enigma, yet one of its producers, Mick Jagger, did not turn up to the British premiere, and one of its stars left after 15 minutes to watch a football match from a local pub.

The Second World War romantic thriller was screened for the first time outside America at the Edinburgh Film Festival this weekend. Enigma, which was co-produced by Jagger, has been tipped to follow in the footsteps of British boxoffice successes such as Four Weddings And A Funeral and Notting Hill.

Jagger was expected to attend the gala screening but pulled out at the last minute for unknown reasons. Dougray Scott, who plays the lead character Tom Jericho, left to watch the match between his football team, Hibernian, and Rangers on a television in a nearby pub.

Kate Winslet, who plays a mathematician�s assistant in the film, had to rush to Edinburgh�s Odeon Cinema on Saturday night. �I only got here off the plane half an hour ago, so it�s been a bit of a rush,� she said. �I didn�t have long to put my make up on and the rain has made my hair go a bit funny.� She praised Jagger�s producing debut. �Mick was on set a lot of the time and he was absolutely brilliant,� she said.

The film tells a fictionalised version of the celebrated British battle to crack Germany�s codes, at Bletchley Park.

The film�s director, Michael Apted, said that he was pleased that all its leading actors were British, making it a likely hit in the United States. �British films do very well in America and American audiences really like British actors,� he said.

The script was adapted by Sir Tom Stoppard from Robert Harris�s bestselling novel, Enigma. Harris said that he approved of the changes to his story in the film script and was delighted with the outcome. �They�ve done a wonderful job and I really like the changes that have been made,� he said.

Miami Herald

Published Monday, August 20, 2001

Kate, Mick Jagger and his Wellies
Titanic star Kate Winslet says she was drawn to the dullness of the character she plays in the Mick Jagger-produced Enigma.
``She is completely unglamorous, doesn't wear much makeup and also wears really dodgy glasses,'' Winslet said at the Edinburgh Film Festival in Scotland, about her character in the World War II drama. She plays the heroine in a tale of romantic intrigue among British code-breakers trying to unravel German U-boat ciphers.

Winslet said the Rolling Stone was ``absolutely brilliant. He was there all the time being the producer and wearing his Wellington boots.''

-- Compiled by
DALTON NARINE

The Times
MONDAY AUGUST 20 2001

Leading article

Bletchley Blandness

A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an Enigma

How small our achievements can look next to those of our forebears. As our Arts pages report today, a new film based on Robert Harris�s Enigma, the bestselling novel about the intrepid code-crackers of Bletchley Park, took longer to wend its way on to the big screen than it took the Allies to push to victory in the Second World War.

Regardless of the Blitz spirit demonstrated by the likes of Tom Stoppard, Kate Winslet and the producer Mick Jagger, the film is judged to fall flat. Like Ms Winslet�s star vehicle, Titanic, Enigma is victim to that lamentable technique of grafting a cracking good yarn on to a flimsy slip of love interest. If the film�s audience is really curious about Bletchley�s goings-on, then � with the exception of Mr Jagger � satisfaction will be thin on the ground.

Why such an opportunity has been missed is, in itself, an enigma. The story of the �Station X� code-breakers lay secret for three decades. As World War gave way to Cold War, it was essential that the Soviet Union should be kept in the dark about the Park�s past activities. By March 1946 every scrap of evidence of the unit�s existence had been eradicated, its thousands of residents moved on. In Churchill�s felicitous phrase, Bletchley�s staff were �the geese that laid the golden eggs and never cackled�. The cackling began in 1974 with the publication of F.W. Winterbotham�s The Ultra Secret and has since risen to a clamour � cryptography is in vogue, and even nearby Milton Keynes seems slightly less insipid. The narrative ingredients are enough to make a film director salivate. The men and women of Bletchley were a brilliant and cosmopolitan tribe � linguists, mathematicians, technologists, logisticians, anthropologists, Egyptologists, chess champs and crossword addicts. They arrived under the guise of �Captain Ridley�s shooting party�, although local rumour soon transformed the Park into a sanatorium, peopled as it was by muttering mathmos spilt out in huts upon the lawn. Eccentricity prevailed, as the country�s greatest minds encouraged university-aged boys and gels to play as hard as they worked at tennis, am dram and romance.

The work was its own reward. With 17.2 million encoding permutations for every letter, the odds against cracking the Nazis� Enigma cipher were an unfathomable 150,000,000,000,000,000,000 to one, but crack it they did, shaving two years off the war, and all on a diet in which boasting was more rationed than the food.

The story of Bletchley Park is a very British tale. Comedy, melodrama and romance all play their part, but the prevailing genre is epic.
[Edited by Jaxx]
[Edited by Jaxx]

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.