ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mick and Ronnie by Lynn Goldsmith
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A preview of the documentary about the Greek concert - 1967 Return to archive
08-13-01 12:37 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I already finished the page with four articles and 21 images (Provided by Fotini and Irina) documenting the concert held on April 17, 1967 at the Panathinaikos Stadium in Athens, Greece.

Unfortunately, I am having problems with my software and the images don't show ok so I'm going to take one additional day to fix this problem.

In the meantime check the introduction and one of the articles

INTRODUCTION

THE ROLLING STONES LIVE
17th APRIL 1967
Panathinaikos Stadium
Athens,Greece

For years this concert has been a mystery, as it was not documented, no tape extant and the set list is not known for sure.

None of the experts has documented this concert and they include Aeppli,Felix, Galbraith, Gary, Hoffmann,Dieter, Karnbach,James & Bernson,Carol, Kluge,Volker & Hoffmann,D., Stember,Wilfried, Wyman,Bill & Coleman,Ray, Zentgraf,Nico... yes none of them and now we have, not just the full setlist but great photos and additional information.

To note, it was the last concert in the 1967 European tour. In fact, the Rolling Stones did not play in public (neither live concerts nor Live TV appearances) until the live debut of Jumping Jack Flash more than one year later at the Empire Pool, Wembley in London on 12th May 1968 for the New Musical Express Poll Winners� Concert.

Recently Irina from Kaliningrad, Russia and Fotini from Greece gave us some (21) really cool photos and four great articles to reveal a lot of interesting things, including the setlist.

TRANSLATION NOTES
Some notes on phrases and names used in the text:

Yeah-yeah�s: In Greece, people who listened to sixties� music at the time were often called �yeah-yeah�s� by the press or elders, due to the various �yeah�s� which were used in many pop and rock �n� roll songs.

Nikos Mastorakis: Greek radio and TV producer � later pursued a career in movie making. A very debatable personality, mainly due to the role he played during the 7 years of the military coup.

INDEX

All the articles below were included in a special issue by ZOO magazine in June 1997. This is the reason why one of the articles refers to the �first big gig in Greece� and the last one!� The Stones played in Greece again in 1998. The articles included are:

Paint it Black: The main description of the 1967 concert, written in 1997 by Dimos Passas.
How much do you love the Rolling Stones?: Description of a contest held in 1967.
The first big gig in Greece� and the last one!: An �eye-witness� review of the �67 gig.
Precursor?: Newspaper article published in 1967 (April 23rd).

Click to enlarge

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
08-13-01 12:50 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl And here's one of the articles, the shortest, and let me tell you that the other three articles are really great; they describe the entire concert and the Greek scene on those times

HOW MUCH DO YOU LOVE THE ROLLING STONES?

Nikos Mastorakis held a contest on his radio-show, to write an original letter under the subject �How much do you love the Rolling Stones?� The awards given were a ticket to the concert and a cruise to Hydra with the Rolling Stones. One of the two lucky winners was a young student from Halkida who visited his neighborhood�s � butcher and asked him to let a drop of blood (!) stain a white leaf of paper. Under this, he signed: �I would give my life and blood for the Rolling Stones. I love them as much as Narcissus loved his own self. If I were asked to keep something as a memoir from when I was 14 years old, I would certainly pick one of their records. That is how much Mihalis Aslanis, 25 Christou Lempesi, Halkida, loves the Rolling Stones�.

After writing this letter, fourteen-year-old then Mihalis Aslanis, a famous fashion designer today, met the Rolling Stones, took autographs from all of them (which he keeps hidden somewhere in his house in Halkida) and unfortunately did not go on a cruise with them, following all the importunate events that came up after the concert. He remained a correspondent for Modern Vibes, writing stories from his hometown.

Note: The other winner was a guy named Antonis, who has written his impressions of the gig and the contest experience in an article published in Epsilon, the magazine of Sunday Eleftherotipia in June 1995. His surname is unknown.
08-20-01 01:07 AM
rimbaud " 4 of the Unkempt (actually referring to hair uncut) Hundred Thousand..." is the title translation (best i remember my greek translations)...apparently Bill Wyman - who is not pictured - was not considered among this mob hahaha. The line beneath photo..."They left complaining..."

The Greek concert was coincidentally a turning point politically for the country, shortly thereafter (a month or two I believe) the Junta assumed control and that was all she wrote. My uncle (who is in his 50s today & lives in Boston, USA) attended the show shortly before migrating to America & was one of the cherished times of his youth...The Stones in '67 - that must have been something !
08-21-01 11:12 AM
Robert Schneeweiss Voodoo Chile,

Are you still having problems with the additional images and written material? Let's get moving on this.
08-21-01 12:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes, the only problem that I have is that when editing the page the pictures look all the same size in the page, regardless of the pic size. Irina just e-mailed me to help me out.

Probably this week we will have it done, if not, I'm going to post the article in the board as one thread, instead of a new space in the wet page.
08-21-01 04:13 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 I hope you find more pics for more tours like the 1969 USA tour, 1969 shows done in England after the USA tour. The 1970 European tour and the 1971 British tour.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.