ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Bent Rej with thanks to Stewed and Keefed
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tom Petty/gaineville(nsc) Return to archive
22nd September 2006 01:49 PM
jb http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Sep22/0,4670,PeopleTomPetty,00.html
22nd September 2006 02:00 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
jb wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Sep22/0,4670,PeopleTomPetty,00.html

Everyday should be Tom Petty day.
22nd September 2006 02:03 PM
Fiji Joe Aside from Damn the Torpedoes, I never liked Petty...but that is slowly changing
22nd September 2006 02:07 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
jb wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Sep22/0,4670,PeopleTomPetty,00.html

I spend a lot of time in Gainesville. Tom Petty is considered a god-like-ism there. Him and Spurrier. Cool town, laid back, alligators, many blacks, and the blacks and rednecks drink together without even thinking about it. Thats the way it should be.
22nd September 2006 02:13 PM
jb
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I spend a lot of time in Gainesville. Tom Petty is considered a god-like-ism there. Him and Spurrier. Cool town, laid back, alligators, many blacks, and the blacks and rednecks drink together without even thinking about it. Thats the way it should be.

Went to UF 80-84. Gainesville was a one trick pony town back then...I hear it is really built up now. I left in Dec of 84, and have never once retuned!!! Still, the best memories in those sweet 4 yrs of debauchery.
22nd September 2006 02:14 PM
RollingstonesUSA I stoped at a KFC once in Gainsville on the way to Univeral Studios, bitch was fuckin' rude!
22nd September 2006 02:15 PM
Saint Sway congratulations!

he's the first inbred singer/songwriter, no?

he's had an amazing career for someone with the IQ of a goat

listening to Petty is like listening to Rain Man

yer so bad
best thing I ever had
in a world gone mad
yer so bad

"See Spot Run" is deeper than any Petty song.

Most childrens poems, including "Hickory, Dickory, Dock" have a better rhyme scheme than a Tom Petty song.
22nd September 2006 02:16 PM
jb
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
I stoped at a KFC once in Gainsville on the way to Univeral Studios, bitch was fuckin' rude!

Was not there when I sttended..we had Steak-N-Shake, CJ's, Ricky's, Brown Derby, Dubs, ABC, ....
22nd September 2006 02:16 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
congratulations!

he's the first inbred singer/songwriter, no?

he's had an amazing career for someone with the IQ of a goat

listening to Petty is like listening to Rain Man

yer so bad
best thing I ever had
in a world gone mad
yer so bad

"See Spot Run" is deeper than any Petty song.

Most childrens poems, including "Hickory, Dickory, Dock" have a better rhyme scheme than a Tom Petty song.

Why you jammin' me....
22nd September 2006 02:22 PM
GimmeExile Tom Petty is incapable of writing a bad song. He has written a lot of great, good and okay songs. But there isn't one I don't like.

I can't wait to see him at the Hollywood Bowl on Tuesday night.
22nd September 2006 02:27 PM
jb True..and that's what bothers me about the Stones..lesser artists at least make songs that are playable....the Stones have not made any song in the past 25yrs that is marginally a hit...
22nd September 2006 02:38 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
jb wrote:
True..and that's what bothers me about the Stones..lesser artists at least make songs that are playable....the Stones have not made any song in the past 25yrs that is marginally a hit...

Love is Strong?????

22nd September 2006 02:39 PM
jb
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

Love is Strong?????

yes.not bad...
22nd September 2006 02:48 PM
glencar Good God, anything off VL is better than Petty's entire output & yes, that includes that Shark song...
22nd September 2006 02:51 PM
Factory Girl The Strokes open for Petty is Gainsville, FLA. I LOVE the Strokes LIVE. They are SUBLIME.

Tom Petty is ok, but all his songs have the same twang. His style lacks diversity.

Bring on Diversity!!!
22nd September 2006 02:51 PM
nankerphelge Petty is great.
BTW - Why isn't Sway like some rock and roll god? -- I mean with all the name dropping, he's clearly on the inside, he clearly "knows" music, he "knows" when lyrics are good and all -- why ain't he rich and famous??

Just curious...

22nd September 2006 02:54 PM
glencar
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Petty is great.
BTW - Why isn't Sway like some rock and roll god? -- I mean with all the name dropping, he's clearly on the inside, he clearly "knows" music, he "knows" when lyrics are good and all -- why ain't he rich and famous??

Just curious...

Sway actually said something that made sense today so I shall leave this slow pitch up the middle to someone like Joey...
22nd September 2006 02:55 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
jb wrote:

Went to UF 80-84. Gainesville was a one trick pony town back then...I hear it is really built up now. I left in Dec of 84, and have never once retuned!!! Still, the best memories in those sweet 4 yrs of debauchery.

Gainesville has hardly changed since the 1970s. Still a one story town as Petty sang on Long After Dark. Petty rocks!
22nd September 2006 02:56 PM
Saint Sway My real name is Chuck Leavell. Author/Keyboardist/Environmentalist/Rock God.
22nd September 2006 02:59 PM
jb
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Gainesville has hardly changed since the 1970s. Still a one story town as Petty sang on Long After Dark. Petty rocks!

We use to get shroons n the cow pastures...we wood go to the pond and zone out!!!
22nd September 2006 03:01 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
jb wrote:

We use to get shroons n the cow pastures...we wood go to the pond and zone out!!!

Shrooms rock!
22nd September 2006 03:06 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Shrooms rock!

the most fun you can have
22nd September 2006 03:24 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Petty's said that this 30th anniverary tour might be his last.
Peter Bogdanovich has been tagging along and documenting the whole thing.
The Gainesville homecoming show must've been a special night.

New album's not so great imo, but TP & The Heartbreakers still deliver the goods live.

Really enjoyed the show with the Allmans I saw this summer.
Chock full of hits, coupla new songs, and the usual assortment of impeccable covers - Yardbirds I'm A Man, Chuck's Too Much Monkey Business, Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well,
and a sublime take on Them's Mystic Eyes.
TP sat in with the ABB on Highway 61, and Gregg Allman returned the favor on Little Red Rooster.

I for one hope it's not the last time...
[Edited by Left Shoe Shuffle]
22nd September 2006 04:41 PM
Dan Now we can all enjoy this historic event !

WESTWOOD ONE
PRESENTS
TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS
LIVE FROM GAINESVILLE
-- Live Broadcast Airs Thursday, September 21st -
-- Westwood One will also present the exclusive two-hour special
Tom Petty: Celebrating 30 Years of Rock & Roll
the Weekend of September 9th --
New York, NY- Thursday, Sep 07, 2006 - Westwood One (NYSE: WON) is pleased to present Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers live Thursday, September 21, 2006 from Petty's hometown of Gainesville, FL. The exclusive live, two-hour broadcast begins at 9:00 PM ET and will feature songs from the band's latest release Highway Companion, as well as classic hits from their prolific 30-year career. Stations airing the live broadcast in the top 10 markets include: WAXQ-FM New York, KLOS-FM Los Angeles, WXRT-FM Chicago, WMGK-FM Philadelphia, WZLX-FM Boston, KFOG-FM San Francisco, WZGC-FM Atlanta, WCSX-FM Detroit and KKRW-FM Houston.

In addition, Westwood One will also present the exclusive radio special Tom Petty: Celebrating 30 Years of Rock & Roll, September 9-10, 2006. Hosted by WXRT-FM Chicago's Norm Winer, the two-hour special takes a retrospective look at Petty's career, chronicling his humble Gainesville roots, through the Heartbreaker heyday, to the latest critically acclaimed album, Highway Companion
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)