ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Bent Rej with thanks to Stewed and Keefed
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA, 09/20/06..setlist (new and improved), pix and reviews. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
21st September 2006 08:20 PM
LadyJane
quote:
jaggergurl wrote:
LJ!! Are you psychic? OMG.. you have email!

I know I just saw it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychic...Psycho.....yeah....that's me.

lmfao.

LJ.
21st September 2006 08:21 PM
jaggergurl LOL... that is just too funny!

21st September 2006 08:23 PM
LadyJane Great minds....my dear...run in the same gutter.

Let's take this thread to 500!!!

LJ.
21st September 2006 08:24 PM
jaggergurl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
LMAO..what an expression on Keith's face. That grimace gives the impression that Mick has just dropped an "air biscuit", and is attempting to deny "ownership"

[Edited by Gazza]

great(twisted) minds, Gazza?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/jaggergirrl/pullmyfingerglimmers.jpg

if it offends, my apologies...
[Edited by jaggergurl]
21st September 2006 08:34 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
jaggergurl wrote:

[Edited by jaggergurl]

Oh you are too funny, Jaggergurl!!!
21st September 2006 08:39 PM
LadyJane
quote:
jaggergurl wrote:

[Edited by jaggergurl]

Always the lil lady, isn't she??

Offends??? It takes more than THAT to offend this bunch!!!

LJ.
21st September 2006 08:48 PM
throbby lotsajizz, I know you call them like you see them. I just didn't see it the same way. I could go on about all the shows I've seen as well. I do take my hat off to you for going to Halifax. I know you dig the live Stones and want them to do well.

I did read somewhere today that you said the show was pathetic. I totally disagree. I don't care for gushing reviews anymore than I care for overtly negative ones. I'd say the truth lies somewhere in the middle. You'd be hard pressed to find me a live recording of the Stones with no missed cues or flubbed lines. I've heard just about all of them. You're painting a much darker picture in the minds of some than you need to be. Judging by the tone of your review you went there expecting not too much. There were as many positives as there were negatives. In your review you chose to hammer home the negatives. That was as unbalanced as the the gushing "greatest show ever" reviews I've read.
21st September 2006 08:57 PM
throbby lotsajizz wrote:
the proof is in the music....post it, Mr. Throbby, I am confident it will distress the truly knowledgable fans here...

who would they be?

Conceit is what comes through in that statement.
21st September 2006 09:24 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
funny you mention the RIcky Martin reference in regards to Charlie, jb. Now, dont ya'll get crazy on me, but a close friend of mine suspects Charlie is gay....there, I said it out loud.

Charlie gay? Nah! He's just British. BTW, I don't think I'd say that within earshot of the Wembley Whammer unless I was looking for a dose of what Jagger got for calling Charlie his drummer.
21st September 2006 10:11 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
jaggergurl wrote:

[Edited by jaggergurl]

Oh shit! Between Gazza's comment and this I'm sitting here laughing like a maniac!
21st September 2006 10:13 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Welcome Gerardo! We have all been having Stonesgasms! And you?

Riffy

It finally ended some minutes ago
21st September 2006 11:03 PM
Bitch
quote:
throbby wrote:
You'd be hard pressed to find me a live recording of the Stones with no missed cues or flubbed lines. I've heard just about all of them. You're painting a much darker picture in the minds of some than you need to be. Judging by the tone of your review you went there expecting not too much. There were as many positives as there were negatives. In your review you chose to hammer home the negatives. That was as unbalanced as the the gushing "greatest show ever" reviews I've read.

Thanks Throbby for posting this. You are so right, there's no perfect RS live recording anywhere in existance! But that's what makes them the greatest R&R band in the world. Darryl said that they are all brilliant, and KEEF never plays any song exactly the same way twice, he changes something every time. Sometimes it works, sometimes not but the free spirit shines through. Rock on!
21st September 2006 11:35 PM
Poplar
quote:
Bitch wrote:
there's no perfect RS live recording anywhere in existance!

you've clearly never heard "Head'n for an Overload."

your point is well taken, however.
21st September 2006 11:51 PM
Bitch
quote:
Poplar wrote:

you've clearly never heard "Head'n for an Overload."

your point is well taken, however.

You are correct, I have not heard it! It must have ROCKS OFF on it! So when was it recorded?
22nd September 2006 12:46 AM
glencar
quote:
throbby wrote:
lotsajizz, nothing personal, but imho you are most definitely full of lotsashit when it comes to your overall negative take on last night's performance.

I've been listening to MR for the last hour and if I knew how to post an MP3 your undue negativity would be plain for all to see. They maybe were not album perfect on this, but they definitely found a groove and rocked it out.

Funny thing on MR, Ronnie's guitar fucked up and he was strumming air guitar while he was waiting for the tech.

The asshole makes one or two valid points but everyone else thinks the show was pretty good. His poor seats might have caused myopia, methinks.
22nd September 2006 01:17 AM
Poplar
quote:
Bitch wrote:
You are correct, I have not heard it! It must have ROCKS OFF on it! So when was it recorded?

http://www.geetarz.org/reviews/stones/heading-for-an-overload.htm
22nd September 2006 02:57 AM
FotiniD Meg, that was a good one

Throbby, thanks for being a voice of reason. I didn't expect that suddenly the Stones went back to playing like when they were 30 years old, but then again I was sure it couldn't be that bad as lotsajizz said it was.

I'll just have to listen to the boot now to make sure, but honestly, a spotless, perfect live gig without any mistakes, is no live gig at all. It's exactly those mistakes that make it worthwile, otherwise I'd stick to listening to the albums.

And after all, it's the Rolling Stones. They're *supposed* to be sloppy. If you want 100% clean-cut versions and flawless performances, one should switch to Pink Floyd. Lotsajizz, I too believe you went there with very low expectations. I get a feeling you may like the gig better once you've listened to the boot as well, who knows.

Darryl (Barkman77) on Shidoobee posted this video of Sway! Let's give it a listen:

[Edited by FotiniD]
22nd September 2006 05:25 AM
corgi37 I can see no faults in that! Sounded good to me. Didnt notice Mick stuffing up the lyrics.

Anyway, regardless, what a stunning set list.
22nd September 2006 05:56 AM
PartyDoll MEG Sway sounded pretty damn good from those seats!
22nd September 2006 06:11 AM
lotsajizz if y'all think that version of 'Sway' is even competent than your standards have simply been lowered over the years....the Stones I grew up with and have seen a couple of dozen times led me to expect more....

and I love you too Glencar....

...off to Halifax in an hour to hopefully see the slide stop....

22nd September 2006 06:43 AM
Nellcote Gawd, talk about the Stones you knew growing up, how cool is it that a mere 24 hours afta the show we have video of a performance. This warhorse will recall thinking the boot I had of ANY '72 performance received on vinyl two years after the fact was a watershed moment. Networking with folks at shows back in the day, lead me to a fellow in Socal, who would send bootleg vinyl in the mail for a whopping $12, always with a three page hand-written list of other boots he had. Flashback in the true sense of the word...

Hey, did I read that Bahston Herald review right, "Boston's thirst for Jagger swagger seems unqunechable; the Stones will be back before long" Does this say Wintah '07 ???
22nd September 2006 07:53 AM
FotiniD
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
if y'all think that version of 'Sway' is even competent than your standards have simply been lowered over the years....the Stones I grew up with and have seen a couple of dozen times led me to expect more....

I think I get it now. If you're attending a Stones gig in 2006 expecting to hear them perform ripping versions of the songs like they did back in the seventies, I'm sure you're bound to feel disappointed!

They STILL perform great, imo, but of course it's one thing when you're thirty and another when you're sixty.
22nd September 2006 07:58 AM
Nellcote Oh, and this could be old news, however, I recalled from Foxboro that they have ditched the flowered tongue inflatable in favor of a conventional tongue inflatable, which seemed to be on the little blue pill, as it appeared to have "good stiffness", unlike it's flowered predecessor...
22nd September 2006 07:58 AM
lotsajizz I'd settle for the energy of the pre-fall Keith
22nd September 2006 08:00 AM
Nellcote Enjoy Canada, eh?
You Hoser! HA, I had to say it, I always liked Rick Moranis, Have a Molson!

22nd September 2006 08:16 AM
CraigP They played a great, very random setlist.
I had never seen keith do any song with the Stones Without a guitar in his hand (whether he plays it or not during a song).

The performance was a bit lacklustre and from there I was sitting (sec. 309) the sound quality in that stdium.

There were maybe 1-2 hundred empty seats, That's ALL!
Ha, the panic everyone had of it being "wide open"... nice

Another thing that suprised me was that the majority of concert go-ers were college age to about 35 yrs. (on average).

Some great surprises were Sway (which they played near-perfectly; Sweet Viginia; Keith singing solo: You got the Silver and Little T&A-(hacked to death. A major fuk-up thruout the who T&A.

Overall, good time. It was nice to have my g/f and her dad's 1'st Stones show, too.
It was a bit sad. The Stones are half-dead, It's all-too-obvious now. They are not the same anymore. But they are still amazing, and amazing they are still alive, nevermind world tours. This is the last time.

22nd September 2006 08:20 AM
FotiniD
quote:
CraigP wrote:

It was a bit sad. The Stones are half-dead, It's all-too-obvious now. They are not the same anymore. But they are still amazing, and amazing they are still alive, nevermind world tours. This is the last time.

Come on CraigP, just take a walk in the archives and see how many repetitions of ths "this is the last time" phrase you can find. About one hundred for every tour. And it goes way back.

It'll be over when it's over and until then, it's still on.

My one complaint so far is I've heard "Little T&A" was performed with full horns on.... Ditch the horns for at least one god damn number for crying out loud. Keith said they rehearsed it to death in order to play it so they *can* do it without the backup.

It takes all the sleaze out of almost every song they put them in and turns it into this Vegas stupid number. I don't like the horns at all.
22nd September 2006 09:09 AM
Maxlugar [quote]FotiniD wrote:
Darryl (Barkman77) on Shidoobee posted this video of Sway! Let's give it a listen:

That was pretty damn good. Very good.

I am extremely disappointed in Jizzy. We've had our arguments in the past politically but to lie to me about the Stones makes me very sad. I'm hurt.
22nd September 2006 09:43 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Fotini, bless yer heart!
We've gotta get you over here one of these days.

22nd September 2006 09:52 AM
GotToRollMe From telegram.com:

Friday, September 22, 2006
Stones mix things up to bring new satisfaction

By Scott McLennan TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

FOXBORO— More than a year after The Rolling Stones lit the fuse on its “Bigger Bang” world tour, the band continues to blow minds in concert.

The Stones opened a fresh leg of the tour Wednesday at Gillette Stadium, marking its fifth show in the Boston market since launching “A Bigger Bang” at Fenway Park last August. Even those among the 44,000 in attendance on Wednesday who saw the Fenway shows and the Stones concerts staged at The TD Banknorth Garden in January could not have anticipated all the twists and turns worked into the performance at Gillette.

For starters, there was no traditional “Start Me Up” to open the show. Instead the night began with Keith Richards playing the chiming guitar intro to “Paint It Black.” Fellow guitarist Ronnie Wood plucked the tune’s sitar tone on an electric hybrid while drummer Charlie Watts pounded out the tribal beat, all in preparation for singer Mick Jagger’s slithery and salacious delivery. Stones statisticians onsite reported that this marked the first time the band ever opened a concert with “Paint It Black.” Cool.

But the band didn’t stop there, layering the top part of its concert with such rarely played nuggets as “Sway,” “Sweet Virginia” and “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg.” Not only was the band bypassing a stadium-friendly hits set, it was proving its vitality in the face of naysayers who accused The Rolling Stones of going to the well one too many times — especially in Boston — on this tour.

Jagger turned the country honk of “Sweet Virginia” into a boozy singalong. “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” was a raucous and joyful nod to Motown, and “Sway” dripped with menace.

Perhaps the most riveting moment of the night came when a blunder occurred. Wood’s guitar crapped out during the dark blues of “Midnight Rambler.” As Wood mugged his way through some air-guitar, Richards picked up the slack with an extended bit of jamming and Jagger vamped front and center. Once a tech got a new ax into Wood’s hands, the band slid back into the song, rolling and unrattled, and clearly not stuck to a script.

The Stones fed its fans more manna when Richards took his customary turn at lead vocals and delivered the wistful “You Got The Silver” (here’s a factoid the statisticians didn’t supply the press: The Stones 19-song Gillette set included four songs from “Let It Bleed,” including “Silver,” “Rambler,” “Live With Me” and “Monkey Man.” Again, very cool).

Richards, who seems no worse for the wear after a bit of brain surgery needed to repair injuries sustained when he fell out of a coconut tree in Fiji earlier in the year, generated roars from the crowd when he muttered, “It’s been a hell of a year.” And he further stoked the crowd with a blistering rendition of “Little T&A,” a song the band hasn’t yet played on the “Bigger Bang” world tour. The stat people also pointed out that the new ballad “Streets of Love” made its North American concert debut at Gillette.

Keyboard player Chuck Leavell and bassist Darryl Jones joined the core four for a three-song set on a small stage that cruised out to the middle of the football field where the band deployed “Under My Thumb,” “Rough Justice” and “Jumpin’ Jack Flash.”

The closing run of the two-hour show did tap the greatest hits songbook, with “Honky Tonk Women,” “Start Me Up” “Sympathy for the Devil” and “Satisfaction” knocking the packed house silly. Though predictable, the closing segment was not formulaic. Jagger was in performance overdrive during “Sympathy,” prancing along a catwalk high above the stage. And “Satisfaction” came in a fresh arrangement with punched up horn parts and background vocal work.

Before a glorious finale of fireworks, streaming banners and basic pandemonium, The Stones blasted through “Brown Sugar,” a sweet sound even upon its fifth serving in Boston.

Rapper Kanye West opened for The Stones, employing a decked out string section alongside his DJ for runs through his platinum catalog. West’s solid work may not have been the best fit for a Stones crowd, but he did offer up the night’s best bit of irony when the strings lit into “Bittersweet Symphony,” a song that resulted in a sticky copyright lawsuit from The Stones claiming that The Verve illegally sampled its intellectual property for the composition. And as in most matters, The Stones prevailed.

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060922/NEWS/609220327

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)