ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Bent Rej with thanks to Stewed and Keefed
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA, 09/20/06..setlist (new and improved), pix and reviews. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
21st September 2006 07:24 AM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
the boot will conform it--Keith was a lost little boy....I am not some neophyte, having seen this band some 50 times now...this was by far the worst they have ever played....some wish to have blinders on, fine for them, but Keith was AWFUL and the recordings will bear it out...I'm glad some were so wrapped out in enjoying just seeing them, but there's a huge difference between being happy to see them and being happy at what you heard....the Keith/no guitar sequence on 'You Got The Silver' was just sad....like 'Little T&A' just butchered...

why do you think he didnt play guitar on it? Did he strap one on and then just not bother or something? I think on the Licks tour, when he did 'Nearness of you', there were a few occasions when he simply stood there and crooned it and barely played, which was fine by me

Hopefully what you got was just an off-night, although its quite clear to anyone that hes not the rhythm monster he used to be
21st September 2006 07:26 AM
lotsajizz I hope it was just an off night...Keith sucked donkey dong on Fenway II last year and bounced back....but it is terribly worrisome at just how BAD he was....
21st September 2006 07:30 AM
chevysales and last nite was a good show albeit a slow start. only empties i saw were uppers way in the back and a few in middle uppers but if i was to guess in the dark i would say 90% full or better.

nice meeting nellcote,luxury,throbby,glencar, wintah and friends... now i have to drag my tired ass to work... got home like 4am... still can't believe the setlist.

ronnie played good... although he had to check setlist at b stage for second song... and was eating a banana at final bow which mick took from him.

was in a3 row 12 aisle seats which i will pass on next time... too many distratcions on aisle. bstage was fun as my wife had never done the bstage... we were on rail in front of ronnie. keiths opener to satisfaction was different then i ever heard him do it.

and i did think ronnie played better... not mugging for camera but was doing some wierd stuff... i swear he hollered "fuck off" to someone at b stage.

keith had no guitar strapped on at all for ygts... ronnie on acoustic.

[Edited by chevysales]
21st September 2006 07:33 AM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:
From what I can tell, this is the first time
PAINT IT BLACK has ever been the opening song in RS history. Can the RO Stones Historians confirm this?

This self-appointed one certainly can!
21st September 2006 07:34 AM
chevysales
quote:
Bitch wrote:
YOU GOT THE SILVER??!!!!!!

How I LOVE this song!!!!!!!!!!

Q for the Stones Historians on the board....

When was the last time YGTS was played live? It must be ages ago, I can't remember, but it had to be a while for this rare gem!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW this is really hot!!!!!!!

oakland 1999??
21st September 2006 07:34 AM
Stray Cat UK Did Keith play slide on YGTS in 99. If so he would never get one onto his fingers now.

Maybe he hadn't rehearsed it enough,so wanted to concentrate on the singing?

just a thought.
21st September 2006 07:36 AM
Gazza

Wild horses can’t drag Stones away

By Christopher John Treacy
Thursday, September 21, 2006 - Updated: 02:43 AM EST

A bigger bang, indeed.

The Rolling Stones have made Boston a home base of sorts: kicking off their tour at Fenway in August 2005, swinging back for two dates at the Garden in January and selling-out Gillette Stadium last night for the first show in the 17-city encore of ‘A Bigger Bang.’

Folks who’ve faithfully attended all concerts were no doubt pleased with a substantially rejuvenated list of songs.

Pyrotechnic blasts signaled the start of the Stones set, shortly followed by Keith Richards strumming the recognizable riff from “Paint It Black.” They then reached back to “Let it Bleed” for the sassy “Live With Me,” which featured one of many hearty sax solos from Bobby Keys.

Mick Jagger dances for the crowd as the Rolling Stones perform at Gillette Stadium, last night. (Staff photo by Stuart Cahill)

Sauntering, slithering and swiveling his way up and down the shopping mall-sized stage, Mick Jagger—clad in an aqua waist jacket and tight black trousers—put forth enough energy to power the show himself. He strapped on an acoustic guitar for the twangy “Sweet Virginia,” then switched to electric for the U.S. premiere of “Streets of Love,” which triumphed from an unusually impassioned vocal performance.

All the while, the big-voiced Lisa Fischer led a trio of backup vocalists and Chuck Leavell tickled the ivories. The rhythm section chugged along to the beat of drummer Charlie Watts and bassist Darryl Jones.

Despite reports to the contrary, it was clear Richards hasn’t completely mended from his Fijian coconut tree debacle. For the first half of the show, Ron Wood did all the heavy lifting. Richards slowly came to life during a rollicking “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg,” and, reassuringly, took the spotlight while Jagger changed outfits to sing “You Got the Silver.” However ragged the delivery, it added a much-needed spark of authenticity to the set. He then launched into “Little T & A” from “Tattoo You.”

“It’s been a hell of a year," he barked.

After that, it was a smooth slide to finish. Jagger reappeared in a red satin jacket as the stage separated and danced through the field seats for a substantially charged “Under My Thumb.” A string of crowd-pleasing hits, including “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “Honky Tonk Women” a revelatory “Sympathy for the Devil” and “Start Me Up,” among others, left the audience begging for more.

Boston’s thirst for Jagger swagger seems unquenchable; the Stones will be back before long.

Hip-hop mastermind Kanye West opened the show, but couldn’t muster enthusiasm from concert-goers, who prefer their rock ’n’ roll straight up. The Stones have always tested their audience’s patience with R&B openers - some with stellar results like Stevie Wonder in the ’70s and others not so much, like Prince in the ’80s. West falling into the latter category.

21st September 2006 07:39 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This tour will be "No Security II"
21st September 2006 07:45 AM
Gazza
quote:
chevysales wrote:

oakland 1999??

No..that was the FIRST time it was played live. It was played at 27 of the 45 shows in North America and Europe that year. Last appearance being at Santiago de Compostela, Spain on 15.6.99

Little T&A was only played previously in 1981-82, when it was Keith's one solo spot in the show. Last appearance was Leeds on 25.7.82
21st September 2006 08:03 AM
FotiniD
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

Fotini...SV reports Keith looked GREAT in this long black coat.

I can see LJ, I can see

And yes, the longer hair are looking mighty fine as well!

Lostajizz, I know you're not a neophyte and I trust that you didn't enjoy the gig from what I read, but really, so far you're the only one with such negative comments. Could it really be that bad when most - if not all - of the other reviews say it wasn't half as bad, but actually great? I don't get it! I just want to listen to the boot as well.
21st September 2006 08:08 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

I am sorry to be the one to lay it on ya; this was by far the WORST excuse for a Stones show ever!! Never have I heard them sloppier....

Wow there goes my high.

Appreciate the honesty though. I was saying last night that the set list was a dream set list but at one point I was hoping the execution was just as good.

So Keith didn't play guitar for his two song set list? This is a terrible sign.
21st September 2006 08:11 AM
lotsajizz Maxy, he played on Little T&A but NOT You Got The Silver. And Fotini, as for my being the 'only' negative review...1) I've seen them more times than most, so I am more particular, and 2) read between the lines of the media reviews....more than a hint of criticism lies therein. And, as I said, it was not ALL bad...the song selection was very good, Woodie was good, Mick tried hard, and Charlie was Charlie....

21st September 2006 08:23 AM
FotiniD
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Maxy, he played on Little T&A but NOT You Got The Silver. And Fotini, as for my being the 'only' negative review...1) I've seen them more times than most, so I am more particular, and 2) read between the lines of the media reviews....more than a hint of criticism lies therein. And, as I said, it was not ALL bad...the song selection was very good, Woodie was good, Mick tried hard, and Charlie was Charlie....

Lotsajizz, I NEVER rely on media reviews, either they're raving good or awful bad. Fans are nine times out of ten more knowledgable, objective and reliable. I've been reading the reviews on IORR and Shidoobee.

It was the first night. It's not such a big deal if the guitars aren't always dead-on after a break of 1 month and no big rehersals. I think they're bound to get better. An off-night maybe, as Gazza said. That's why I just think you're painting a darker picture than it has to be.

Anyway, I wasn't there, so I can't be certain until I get to listen to it!
21st September 2006 08:29 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Maxy, he played on Little T&A but NOT You Got The Silver.

Oh, I thought I read that he was just standing there with it. Not really playing.

Tell me, how was the intro to Paint it Black? Was it a quicker picker or a strummer? If he strummed it out I'm thinking he's not with it.
21st September 2006 08:41 AM
SweetVirginia OK...I’m awake. It took forever to get back to the hotel last night.

First, I don’t think I attended the same show as Jizzy. I thought it rocked and that setlist had me screaming (and crying when they did Sweet Virginia). Were they our usual lovable and sloppy Stones? Most definitely. The opening notes of “Paint It Black” were nearly unintelligible, but that may have been partly due to my shock at hearing that song come first.

We were sitting far stage right, Keith’s side. Our original tickets from the presale were near the b-stage, but when these others dropped on Monday after the stage construction was completed, I couldn’t resist snapping them up. They were only $97 (and $77 for my student-daughter....aka “doing it for the kids”). We had planned to head to the b-stage seats for that part of the show, but watching the stage float out through the crowd from our perspective turned out to be really cool.

Lots of the fans near us were diehards and went nuts during Live With Me, Monkey Man, Sway, SV, YGTS and T&A. Later at the cab line I heard some lesser fans saying the Stones “played all that new stuff we didn’t know”. Ha!

Mick seemed out to prove something last night, both with his energy level and that set list. Keith was charming and disarming...saying it has been “a hell of a year” and then seeming genuinely touched by the audience’s extended cheering.

I took snippets of video on my camera, and after reading Jizzy’s review, I went back and listened to the quality of the musicianship and what I hear is our boys the way we love them live.

I will say that Ronnie eating a banana during the bow was the stupidest trick I’ve seen him do onstage yet, and that’s saying something.

I am so glad we saw this show. This performance and setlist was for us...the ones who never gave up on our band. Thanks boys.

SV

21st September 2006 08:44 AM
SweetVirginia

21st September 2006 08:46 AM
SweetVirginia

21st September 2006 08:48 AM
SweetVirginia The pix aren't great this time.

21st September 2006 08:49 AM
FotiniD Sweet Virginia, I'm so glad you loved the show Yes, that's right, our prayers have finally been answered setlist-wise. It must have been one amazing night - I can just picture Keith smiling like that after talking about the rough year. Jeez... Thanks for the pics, love the one with Mick.

I knew you'd love Keith's jacket
21st September 2006 08:50 AM
Nellcote SV, I had no idea you were to be there last night.
We could've hooked up with the rest of the crew before.
I need to read these threads better next time.
The show still worked for me, sure there were some times, but it's not as if we've not seen it before, and again, it's no bother. They even played your song, which came completely out of left field for me..
21st September 2006 08:59 AM
not bound to please
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
OK...I’m awake. It took forever to get back to the hotel last night.

First, I don’t think I attended the same show as Jizzy. I thought it rocked and that setlist had me screaming (and crying when they did Sweet Virginia). Were they our usual lovable and sloppy Stones? Most definitely. The opening notes of “Paint It Black” were nearly unintelligible, but that may have been partly due to my shock at hearing that song come first.

We were sitting far stage right, Keith’s side. Our original tickets from the presale were near the b-stage, but when these others dropped on Monday after the stage construction was completed, I couldn’t resist snapping them up. They were only $97 (and $77 for my student-daughter....aka “doing it for the kids”). We had planned to head to the b-stage seats for that part of the show, but watching the stage float out through the crowd from our perspective turned out to be really cool.

Lots of the fans near us were diehards and went nuts during Live With Me, Monkey Man, Sway, SV, YGTS and T&A. Later at the cab line I heard some lesser fans saying the Stones “played all that new stuff we didn’t know”. Ha!

Mick seemed out to prove something last night, both with his energy level and that set list. Keith was charming and disarming...saying it has been “a hell of a year” and then seeming genuinely touched by the audience’s extended cheering.

I took snippets of video on my camera, and after reading Jizzy’s review, I went back and listened to the quality of the musicianship and what I hear is our boys the way we love them live.

I will say that Ronnie eating a banana during the bow was the stupidest trick I’ve seen him do onstage yet, and that’s saying something.

I am so glad we saw this show. This performance and setlist was for us...the ones who never gave up on our band. Thanks boys.

SV

You paid for two sets of tickets - when it's been posted ad nauseum on the boards to wait a few days before the show to get the best seats. Uber fans also pay $100 for the *chance* to maybe get a good overpriced ticket in a set aside in groups of blocks. I would hope you gave your other tickets away - but it looks like you left them open? I had tickets several years ago by the b stage for my boyfriend and I, (through ticketmaster) but found one by the stage last minute and gave it to a close friend who had never been to a concert before. He had a great time.

Call me a cynic (and other things if you are so inclined) - but the band uses the greed and obsessiveness of the die hard fans to not only rake in early sales, but for internet free advertising.

You got that setlist because it finally didn't work with the general public, and that the reports that come out will be from journalists and die hards on the internet. Smart move. Good damage control.

21st September 2006 09:00 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
SV, I had no idea you were to be there last night.
We could've hooked up with the rest of the crew before.

I had Glencar's cell phone number with me and hoped to try to find some of you guys. We drove up from NY after my daughter got out of school and didn't check into the hotel until about 6. Once we got changed and over to the Razor and I saw the long lines for the body cavity secruity search, we just went on in.

Now my daughter is sleeping in a hotel room in Foxboro when she's supposed to be her high school classes in NY. Where do I pick up my "Mother of the Year" award?

SV

21st September 2006 09:05 AM
Nellcote From your daughter, we take care of our own, right?
Show them the finer things in life.
We'll hook up.
21st September 2006 09:13 AM
FotiniD
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

Now my daughter is sleeping in a hotel room in Foxboro when she's supposed to be her high school classes in NY. Where do I pick up my "Mother of the Year" award?

SV

Darling, catching a Stones gig may be the best education I can think of

Seriously, nice you could catch a gig together. Did she like it?
21st September 2006 09:18 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Darling, catching a Stones gig may be the best education I can think of

Seriously, nice you could catch a gig together. Did she like it?

She loved it. I took her to Radio City in March. That one was her first Stones concert...and Fotini, you will love this part: coming out of the show she said, "Oh my God, I never really understood until tonight how wicked cool Keith is!"

I'm sure you agree, no?

SV

21st September 2006 09:20 AM
not bound to please But wait - did you give the extra tickets away - even to a random stranger?

21st September 2006 09:31 AM
FotiniD
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

She loved it. I took her to Radio City in March. That one was her first Stones concert...and Fotini, you will love this part: coming out of the show she said, "Oh my God, I never really understood until tonight how wicked cool Keith is!"

I'm sure you agree, no?

SV

You know I do

That's just great! He really wins you, no matter what, doesn't he? 62 years old, and all the stupid press rubbish about the wrinkly rockers, and the fact he's from a completely different generation etc, etc - and then it only takes one night
21st September 2006 09:45 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

Nice shot SV!!! But the first row is like 100 feet back! I would have been pissed.
21st September 2006 09:52 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Nice shot SV!!! But the first row is like 100 feet back! I would have been pissed.

Yes..."front row" was a bit of a misnomer at Gillette!

SV
21st September 2006 09:56 AM
Bob Tamp Loved it. Ronnie was the best I ever saw. Keith was perhaps a little off, but the sound where I sat was so crystal clear that it made no difference.
This was my 7th show this tour, and I was thrilled after becoming totally bored with it all after last January's Madison Square Garden performance. The set list was by far the most adventurous I have seen in a stadium since 1981.
-Sweet Vagina hasnt been played in Boston since 72( before my time)
-Sway has never been played in Boston
-ATPTB- not since 75( before my time)
-sol- fucking gorgeous last night

the best fake out of the night was Under my thumb. Chuckie started his now common tickling of the ivories right before the b-stage start, and I thought " oh shit, here comes MISS YOU again. Wonderful!!!!
Compared to what we have become accustomed to, last nights set was way way beyond expectations.
Catch this leg of the tour, and lets hope they keep it up.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)