ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks for the livfce debut of Sway please play it live again
Rehearsing in Toronto
© 2005 Frank Micelotta with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: your least favorite 'greatest hit'? Return to archive
September 20th, 2005 10:46 PM
Lethargy What's your least favorite song among the greatest hits aka. 'warhorses'? Note that this means you're not allowed to mention any Dirty Work songs. I'm talkin 'bout the warhorses that we all bitch about hearing too much. Which one do you want to hear the least.

For me it's most definitely SATISFACTION. It's so irritating to me that this 40 year old song has become almost their definitive piece, when to me it's just throwaway trash. It's not even a matter of me being sick of it through repetition. I think the song just plain sucks! I know I'll get flamed for this, but it's my opinion. It doesn't even make, honestly, my Top Fifty (!) Stones songs.

I'm kinda sick of Sympathy too, but that's a distant second place.
September 20th, 2005 11:01 PM
Nellcote WHY?
September 20th, 2005 11:02 PM
Soldatti Thank god that they wrote Satisfaction, they'll be remembered forever only for this tune.
I don't hate any warhorse, each one it's a brick in the Stones history.
September 20th, 2005 11:12 PM
CraigP I love the song Satisfaction. I dislike the studio version even though it wasn't overproduced like some of the more recent live versions. But there are bits and peices of the song performed live that are orgasmic. Such as the intro and solo on the Live at the MAX version (sounds very Metal) and the drums/vocals on the "American Concert 1981" relese of Satisfaction. I like how on "American Concert '81" Mick sang Satisfaction with a very deep voice and Charlie used the best snare drum I have heard on a recording (esp. on Just My Imagination). (I'd like to know what he was using)... Anyone know?

[Edited by CraigP]
September 20th, 2005 11:13 PM
Lethargy
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Thank god that they wrote Satisfaction, they'll be remembered forever only for this tune.
I don't hate any warhorse, each one it's a brick in the Stones history.

I'll think they'll also be remembered for Gimme Shelter, Jumping Jack Flash, Tumbling Dice, Start Me Up, Street Fighting Man, Ruby Tuesday, and tons of other songs that are better than Satisfaction.
September 20th, 2005 11:18 PM
Lethargy
quote:
CraigP wrote:
I love the song Satisfaction. I dislike the studio version even though it wasn't overproduced like some of the more recent live versions. But there are bits and peices of the song performed live that are orgasmic. Such as the intro and solo on the Live at the MAX version (sounds very Metal) and the drums/vocals on the "American Concert 1981" relese of Satisfaction. I like how on "American Concert '81" Mick sang Satisfaction with a very deep voice and Charlie used the best snare drum I have heard on a recording (esp. on Just My Imagination). (I'd like to know what he was using)... Anyone know?

[Edited by CraigP]

I have to admit you're right about the live version of this, at least on certain tours.
September 21st, 2005 12:43 AM
pdog
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
What's your least favorite song among the greatest hits aka. 'warhorses'? Note that this means you're not allowed to mention any Dirty Work songs. I'm talkin 'bout the warhorses that we all bitch about hearing too much. Which one do you want to hear the least.

For me it's most definitely SATISFACTION. It's so irritating to me that this 40 year old song has become almost their definitive piece, when to me it's just throwaway trash. It's not even a matter of me being sick of it through repetition. I think the song just plain sucks! I know I'll get flamed for this, but it's my opinion. It doesn't even make, honestly, my Top Fifty (!) Stones songs.

I feel so sad for you...
Hey!
Where's that fucking Frodo with my drinks?
September 21st, 2005 01:03 AM
the good Heartbreaker...

Doo Doo indeed.
September 21st, 2005 01:07 AM
the good
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
What's your least favorite song among the greatest hits aka. 'warhorses'? Note that this means you're not allowed to mention any Dirty Work songs. I'm talkin 'bout the warhorses that we all bitch about hearing too much. Which one do you want to hear the least.

Dude, you don't like Sympathy for the Devil or Satisfaction? Were you abducted by aliens when you were a child? Did they do all sorts of naughty things to you?
September 21st, 2005 01:12 AM
ShaneJazz One warhorse that simply never gets stale for me is Gimme Shelter. It sounds as fresh as this morning's milk. As for one that I can easily skip (just now and then though): Tumbling Dice.
September 21st, 2005 01:14 AM
Stonesthrow Lethargy is clueless. The studio version of Satisfaction is the perfect rock 'n' roll song, and it was the anthem of a generation of teenagers including me.

September 21st, 2005 09:33 AM
exile
quote:
Stonesthrow wrote:
Lethargy is clueless. The studio version of Satisfaction is the perfect rock 'n' roll song, and it was the anthem of a generation of teenagers including me.

absolutely!
Satisfaction can be played at my house over and over, how could you get sick of this.
And don't like sympathy? what drugs are you on? I dont want any.

Look Lethargy whether you like it or not The stones will be best known for satisfaction above any other song they ever wrote. whether that is right or wrong I don't know.

All those XXL, marble wash denim, tie die Stones shirt wearing Stones crowd will only want to hear one or two songs at any Stones concert and that's Satisfaction and maybe Jumping Jack Flash. And that's it. That's the majority. these people have never heard of Monkey man.

That's how the stones make money by getting these guys into the concerts and flogging them the latest "bad taste" stones shirt (Tie-Dye Fractal Tongue Tee, Tattoo You Stud Tie Dye) and pulling out the warhorses.

I love hearing the warhorses anyway. If it has to be asked my least favourite warhorse is 'Tumbling Dice' I like the live version better than studio version.
September 21st, 2005 11:03 AM
Nasty Habits (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction is a perfect rock and roll song. Which of course means that it's throwaway trash. That is rather the point.

If you do not like (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction you do not like no rock and roll.

Sorry to be the bearer of negative tidings, but this is not verifiably untrue.

To stay on topic: If you're talking "live", then the answer is "Honky Tonk Women". If you're talking studio, I believe I have made my peace with all of the Hot Rockin' Rewinders.

September 21st, 2005 11:14 AM
glencar I'm tired of BS live. Satisfaction is somewhat dull on this tour. I wasn't crazy about Sympathy at MSG last week although I did like it at the Chicago show.
September 21st, 2005 11:20 AM
star star satisfaction was too over the top on the Licks tour. Screw the horns!! same for JJF too. horns sound great, dont get me wrong, but not on songs that so plainly dont need them in the first place.
September 21st, 2005 11:37 AM
stonesmik "Miss you" is the worst greatest Stones hit of all time, it is pure crap. A clean Keith Richards would never have recorded it (I hope).

Instead "Shattered" should have been the opener on SOME GIRLS.

Instead the Stones should be forced to play "Emotional rescue" during their concerts!
September 21st, 2005 11:40 AM
glencar Blasphemer!
September 21st, 2005 11:49 AM
56DeSoto Angie just doesn't do it for me. Never has.
September 21st, 2005 12:53 PM
Scottfree Brown Sugar, Angie, Wild Hoses.....Really all the was horses are unlistenable, with the exception of GS....Bootlegs are the only thing that do revolutions in my CD player....
September 21st, 2005 01:35 PM
monkey_man Jumpin Jack Flash. . .it's not a bad song but if I never hear it again, my life will be complete. Let the attacks begin. . . .
September 21st, 2005 02:38 PM
sammy davis jr. Gimme Shelter- I'm sick of it.
also- Sympathy
September 21st, 2005 03:45 PM
Saint Sway Start Me Up

JJF & Sympathy are warhorses that I could never tire of. The riffs are fierce, the lyrics evil and the live versions are relentless and aweinspiring.

however SMU is like a wet fart.

the intro riff is loud and Keef like. But then the lyrics are so stupid and playful. Its just too "fun" of a song - for lack of a better term. Just too poppy/happy.

You know, like 'yaaaay start me up yaaaaay" (pic of retarded puppet here)

I just like the darker warhorses like Rambler, Shelter, Sympathy etc. Even Satisfaction can sound nasty live.

theres just nothing threatening or bad ass about SMU.

its great for microsoft and ameriques ads. Or at ballgames. But time to retire it live.
September 21st, 2005 08:24 PM
BILL PERKS SMU- I FUCKING HATE..I'LL BE HITTING THE BEER LINE AS SOON AS IT STARTS
ALSO HATE SYMPATHY LIVE..TOTALLY SICK OF IT.
September 21st, 2005 09:22 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
Jumpin Jack Flash. . .it's not a bad song but if I never hear it again, my life will be complete. Let the attacks begin. . . .

Not a bad song..?

Watch the dvd version from The Double Door, Chicago (18-sep-97). Keith will bring your jaw to the floor faster than you can say "what the fuck was I thinking?"!
September 21st, 2005 10:12 PM
TomL Gotta go with Miss You
September 21st, 2005 11:28 PM
Zack This thread is like "what's the least favorite body part on your wife?" Her ass has gotten bigger, her tits are starting to sag, and her stomach's not as flat as it used to be. But all these things have brought you tremendous joy over the years, and at the end of the day, they still do.

I think their worst "greatest hit," though it's not a concert warhorse, is Fool To Cry.
September 22nd, 2005 06:06 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I dont think I could ever go as far as saying that I dont like one of the greatest hits. However, there are different times in my life when I prefer one to another. But I find that this is the same with many things in life.

At the moment I would skip through Brown Sugar and Happy. But that will probably change in a few weeks.

At the moment I am hooked on Dead Flowers. Particuarly the Ladies and Gentleman Live Version. Classic
September 22nd, 2005 08:33 AM
Chuck Start Me Up
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)