ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks for the livfce debut of Sway please play it live again
Rehearsing in Toronto
© 2005 Frank Micelotta with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie's Input Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 13th, 2005 04:51 PM
deuce There used to be alot of talk about how Ron's guitar wasn't loud enough and he wasn't playing enough. This was blamed on his drinking. However, he drank heavily throughout the '81 and '78 tours and played just as good as anybody and usually better than most. I don't think alchohol has much to do with it.

In the recent interview the band did with Rolling Stone magazine, Ron says things like (and I'm paraphrasing); "I'm not allowed to bring songs in" , "One of the things Keith stresses is that I can't play too loud". WHAT!? Is that it right there? Should we be slagging off on Ron or should we be slagging off on the Glimmer Twins. I've no doubt that he has alot of chops still. But maybe just maybe, Mick and Keith tell him..maybe not in these words but this would be the basic idea of it; "Back off, the original 3 members are me (if Mick was talking), Charlie and Keith. Just play solo's when your told to, otherwise keep the volume down and don't play too much". They could have told him this stuff back in the day too but remember...back then the band wasn't as corporate as they are now. Granted, they were still huge but what I mean is...they hadn't become the huge touring act with the huge stage and lights and stage props, etc... They werent charging so much for a ticket and they weren't as legendary as they are now.

Imagine what Ronnie could bring to the table. Imagine if him and Keith just sat down and played some ideas to eachother and actually worked together. What if that was allowed. Then Mick could come in, write the lyrics, maybe play guitar on it then they could call it a day. I'm sure Ronnie has some interesting ideas anyway. Reading that article, it just made me feel even more bad for the guy (this along with the fact that hes clearly struggling with leaving the drinking behind).

If you don't have this issue of Rolling Stone, you guys should check it out.
September 13th, 2005 04:59 PM
CraigP Is it the current issue? I've noticed that, on 4 Flicks for example, the band tends to cut Ronnie off during some of his solos. This is mainly Mick making some noise thru the mic while Ron is trying to land a solo. I find that very rude.
September 13th, 2005 05:03 PM
deuce Yep, current issue. Separate interviews with all 4 band members. Their on the cover
[Edited by deuce]
September 13th, 2005 05:31 PM
ßloody red ®ooster i can't imagine playing behind bars like that

GIVE RONNIE SOME SPACE!!!!
September 13th, 2005 06:00 PM
sammy davis jr. I'm sure the woodster gets frustrated working with Mick and Keith, but he probably makes a decent paycheck for it. Hearing how he was in financial straits upto the BTB period, I'm sure he can use the $$$$$. I wouldn't put it past Keith to make sure he's loudest in the mix...very trivial if you ask me.
September 13th, 2005 06:12 PM
ßloody red ®ooster if you watch Respectable, Saturday Night Live -78 there are some issues , quite fun actually... but it seams Mick is a bit ?jealous? (and drunk or/and high?) at both Keith and Ronnie, first when Keith's doing a solo Mick gets in front of the camera (mick's playing the guitar as well), posing, then stands in front of Keith blocking him so you can't see him, then trying to steal the attention and look cool by spitting on the floor. As he can't play better then Keith thats what he does.
As soon as Ronnie starts his solo Mick pushes him away out of the spotlight, but when that fails he decides to lick Ronnie on his mouth... disgusting!
September 13th, 2005 06:22 PM
BlindLemon Actually, on SNL 78 Mick has a terrible cold, his voice tells a tale about it. Spitting on the floor is preceded by a very visual sucking of the thing ... what´s it in English ... , well, y´know hat I mean, and then channeling it into his mouth to be deported by way of expectoration. So I don´t think that has to do with jealousy. This does not invalidate the rest of your remark, though. I´m undecided on the issue.
September 13th, 2005 09:34 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
CraigP wrote:
Is it the current issue? I've noticed that, on 4 Flicks for example, the band tends to cut Ronnie off during some of his solos. This is mainly Mick making some noise thru the mic while Ron is trying to land a solo. I find that very rude.

On the contrary, a lot of times I see Mick encouraging Ronnie to solo, but ... there's nothing there.
September 13th, 2005 10:24 PM
the good Why would they try and silence Woody's solos? The Stones are professionals, it just doesn't make any sense. I mean, does anyone really think that FUCKING MICK JAGGER would feel the limelight was being taken away from him if Woody played more leads? To my knowledge, he didn't feel that way with Taylor. Hell, you could put Clapton next to Mick, and the show would still be Mick. Regarding Woody's songwriting "contributions", I seriously doubt the guy is bringing songs to the table and the Glimmer twins are shooting him down. Woody, like every guitar player in the world, probably has "ideas" for songs, but they never really go anywhere, especially by the standards of Jagger/Richards compositions. Plus, if Woody's songwriting was really being inhibited by the Glimmer twins, there should be some killer stuff on his solo albums, which, in my view, there simply isn't.
September 13th, 2005 10:34 PM
Steel Wheels True! If Ronnie had all of these great ideas, his solo albums would be right on the money. Perhaps he needs a writing partner to finish them off. Maybe he hasn't found anyone to bounce these ideas off of.

He needs to get together with a band of hungry musicians and flesh it all out.

September 14th, 2005 03:30 AM
blackandblue Ronnie is a joke. He was great once but has become a sad figure.
September 14th, 2005 05:55 AM
padre How was Ronnie's unlimited soloing on Far East Man -live dvd?
September 14th, 2005 10:50 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
padre wrote:
How was Ronnie's unlimited soloing on Far East Man -live dvd?

Probably terrible. I was at that particular show and Ronnie was absolutely wasted. I still like to believe that I witnessed that last truly drunken Ronnie performance.
September 14th, 2005 11:00 AM
Saint Sway that dvd is embarrassing. An absolute train wreck. A fuckin travesty that they released it.
September 14th, 2005 11:04 AM
JumpingKentFlash If the situation is like that, then he should leave. Not for the Mick or Keith, but for himself. I mean: Who needs the aggrevation??? They shouldn't boss him around like that.
September 14th, 2005 06:12 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
BlindLemon wrote:
Actually, on SNL 78 Mick has a terrible cold, his voice tells a tale about it. ...

yeah, snorting a quarter ounce of blow will do that to ya!!

September 14th, 2005 07:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
BlindLemon wrote:
Actually, on SNL 78 Mick has a terrible cold, his voice tells a tale about it. Spitting on the floor is preceded by a very visual sucking of the thing ... what´s it in English ... , well, y´know hat I mean, and then channeling it into his mouth to be deported by way of expectoration.

I think that was more a case of Mick going through a pseudo punk rock phase than anything else, personally!
September 14th, 2005 07:22 PM
CraigP I think he had a cold and maybe some punk in him but then again the Stones were punk rock from the beginning.
September 14th, 2005 07:25 PM
doo doo doo Dude Poor Ronnie. Like Taylor & Jones before him, he is a pawn of the evil Glimmer Twins.
September 14th, 2005 08:12 PM
Steel Wheels Ronnie loves it. I would gladly trade jobs if he'd wish to.

September 14th, 2005 09:57 PM
gotdablouse The situation is a bit puzzling, but I think there is something seriously wrong with Woody, just listen to his horrible off-key solos on "Tumbling Dice" and "IORR" from the Milwaukee show and I think everyone will agree that regardless of his past merits, the guy had nothing to do on a stage. Really embarassing. Keith isn't his usual self anymore, but at least he still plays in the right key.

If that's the best Ronnie can do on stage, it seems that there's no point wasting time with any of his "compositions", even for a bootlegger ! Instead of moaning, Ronnie should be kissing the Glimmer Twins each day he gets to stay in the band, the fact that they made him a full business partner after Bill left certainly helps with that situation, not the best decision they've made if you ask me.
September 15th, 2005 11:49 PM
Bruno Stone I said it once and I say it again: Keith doesn`t allow Ronnie to play properly. Look at Keith at the end of Ronnie`s solo in CYHMK from Four Flicks, he`s visibily thinking ```you son of a bitch, turn it down``.Mick goes to Ronnie, give him a smile, congratulates him...

Look at Mick during Ronnie`s solo (I think it would be graet louder) in Stray Cat Blues again from FF, he screams positively at Ronnie, the old and good ``oh yeah, gimme rock n roll!!`` thing. I agree with Mel Belli, Mick is always being cool to Ronnie.

All this is Keith`s fault. He doesn`t allow Ronnie to play the way he can.
September 16th, 2005 04:13 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Bruno Stone wrote:
I said it once and I say it again: Keith doesn`t allow Ronnie to play properly. Look at Keith at the end of Ronnie`s solo in CYHMK from Four Flicks, he`s visibily thinking ```you son of a bitch, turn it down``.Mick goes to Ronnie, give him a smile, congratulates him...

Look at Mick during Ronnie`s solo (I think it would be graet louder) in Stray Cat Blues again from FF, he screams positively at Ronnie, the old and good ``oh yeah, gimme rock n roll!!`` thing. I agree with Mel Belli, Mick is always being cool to Ronnie.

All this is Keith`s fault. He doesn`t allow Ronnie to play the way he can.

That's the greatest nonsense I've ever read. Why should Keith do this? Because he is jealous? Come on! We are not talking about a schoolboy but about one of the greatest guitarists in history of rock'-'n-roll.
The truth is Ronnie lost it during the years. Whatever the reason may be you can't blame Keith. Ridiculous.
September 16th, 2005 05:18 AM
pesa Sounds strange.
Isn't that so, that non of the boys can play guitare?

A video from 81 is showing a guy playing heavy guitare in the backstage agea, while Keith is doing something, but obviously not playing right.

In nower days you see not those support guys, but guitare playing isn't good at all. No great solos at all.

I think they know that they can't play and therefore they must be happy to have each other to create a muddy sound.

What do you think?
September 16th, 2005 01:26 PM
Bruno Stone
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

That's the greatest nonsense I've ever read. Why should Keith do this? Because he is jealous? Come on! We are not talking about a schoolboy but about one of the greatest guitarists in history of rock'-'n-roll.
The truth is Ronnie lost it during the years. Whatever the reason may be you can't blame Keith. Ridiculous.

I keep it. Of course Ronnie lost it during the years, but Ì`m talking about Ronnie`s guitar in the shows sound mix. It is turned down because Keith wants it to be that way.
September 16th, 2005 03:31 PM
blackandblue Tell me: why does Keith want it that way?
September 16th, 2005 08:40 PM
sammy davis jr. Probably 'cause Ronald isn't exactly burning up the fretboard anymore. I do disagree about his songwriting, at least the old stuff. "If You Don"t Want My Love" off I've Got My Own Album To Do is a great blues/soul song, Act Together is great, though the vocals ruin it.
September 16th, 2005 08:44 PM
sammy davis jr. Just to add, maybe Bill saw thw writing on the wall and did the RIGHT THING by bailing....
September 17th, 2005 02:12 PM
Bruno Stone
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
Tell me: why does Keith want it that way?

Din`t Keith want it that in the Taylor time as well?

Keith doesn`t want anybody playing louder than him.
September 18th, 2005 05:01 PM
Dandelion86 Hey!
Are talking about the American Rolling Stones issue??I would love to read the interviews..but I`m from Germany..do you think there is any possibility to read it online??
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)