ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From Russia with love
Thanks Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Josh , Speak to Us !!!! How was the Concert ?????? ( NSC ) Return to archive Page: 1 2
09-18-03 10:43 AM
Joey Hello My Jewish Brother ............................

Well ????????????????????????? , Were Waiting ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Riffy , Jaxx and a few others on this board who have seen " The Dan " want to know one thing and one thing only :

" How was the gig last evening ????? "

Developing .....................like a pleasurable rash .

" He got Game Ronnie ..............and you ???? "

Jacky ( Oh , He " Got Game !!! " )

09-18-03 10:47 AM
Mother baby Maybe he actually had to work today.
09-18-03 11:10 AM
Joey " Maybe he actually had to work today. "

So much for the " Billable Hours " , huh ??????

Developing .................

Jercee !
09-18-03 11:54 AM
gypsy He's probably at the Steely Dan message board.
That, or his wife found out about the secretary, and he's having his penis re-attached at this very moment.
09-18-03 11:59 AM
Nellcote The Dan? Really? You must be kidding.

Picture it now, on the elevator, counting the small holes in the soundproofing above me, having to stomach the small Asian twins, with manhole covers for hats, as they consummate plans of my demise, comes wafting thru the air comes....

"No Static At All-FFFFFFFFFFFFM!"

Please pass the no doze.......and let the Asian twins do me in!!!

WE WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE DOUBLE BILL
AEROSMITH & KISS JB ATTENDED!!!

Back to Hurricane Coverage, Chet-OK David, thanks...

09-18-03 12:04 PM
jb Good morning Joey...just got in from a morning mediation. The concert was excellent. The sound was exceptional and the musicians were surperb. Not much interaction with audience, but overall a great show.

09-18-03 12:07 PM
Joey " The Dan? Really? You must be kidding. "

Sure it starts off " Mellow " with classics like " Aja " and " Time out of Mind " and " Deacon Blues " .

But you are forgetting the real " Rock and Rollers " like :

Bodhisattva

Black Friday

Kid Charlemagne

And the group sing-a-longs like :

Peg

Hey 19

My Old School

Josie

and , of course , FM ( no static at all )

................and the new stuff is excellent ( Watch EMG win a Grammy for Album of the Year this February )

JACKY DAN !!!!!!!

09-18-03 12:08 PM
Joey " The concert was excellent. The sound was exceptional and the musicians were surperb. Not much interaction with audience, but overall a great show. "

You are much loved by the Joey !
09-18-03 12:10 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Good morning Joey...just got in from a morning mediation. The concert was excellent. The sound was exceptional and the musicians were surperb. Not much interaction with audience, but overall a great show.

So in other words stay home and put on their CD

Was it sold out?

Did Macca make a guest apperance?

09-18-03 12:12 PM
gypsy Speaking of Kiss, check out this non-Howard Carter-like find:

Kiss off, Gene

Borders throws book at guitarist

Lizard-tongued rock legend Gene Simmons has been barred from Borders bookshops in the States because of his raunchy book signings. The Kiss guitarist is currently promoting his second book, the life advice manual Sex Money Kiss, but store owners were not prepared for the demand. 'Is it my fault women come in and lift their tops or stick their butts in my face for me to sign?' enquires wide-eyed innocent Gene. 'The book's Sex Money Kiss, not The New Testament. The title I really wanted was Women Are from Mars, Men Have Penises.'

The Borders chain has now banned the Simmons bandwagon from crossing its cultured thresholds - the reason? 'They're not equipped for a party atmosphere,' reckons the man with the tongue of a Komodo dragon. 'See, bookstores are quiet places. My fans aren't swinging from chandeliers but they're enthusiastic, and often in cleavage.' Less impressed with the amount of flesh on display, Borders have since let the guitarist know he need not turn up for any signings in Nashville, Chicago and Pennsylvania . 'Just because I stick out my tongue a lot and spit fire doesn't mean I have any qualifications to advise anyone on relationship, money or career issues,' argues Gene in his book. He's evidently well versed by now in bookstore management.

09-18-03 12:14 PM
Joey " So in other words stay home and put on their CD "

May your bladder become " Shy " !!!!!!!!

CUBS WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/2 out of First place

09-18-03 12:44 PM
gypsy I wanted to know if jb got blown during or after seeing THE Dan. What did you wear, jb? I's just gots to know.
09-18-03 12:56 PM
jb I wore suede tan pants by "Theory"($525.00), a white cotton shirt(Dolce & Gabana $275.00) and black Calvin Klein boot shoes($350.00). Got blown after concert.
09-18-03 03:02 PM
glencar I know people make fun of the audiences at Stones concerts but really now...what's the average age at a Steely Dan concert? 55? It's great that they "respect" their audience. Steely Dan doesn't rock. I'd rather be at a Macca concert any day now.
09-18-03 03:13 PM
jb Not sold out...my guess around 10,000....average age 45...
09-18-03 03:15 PM
Prodigal Son Steely Dan is intelligent, complex rock. THe cool of jazz, the punch of rock and a touch of Dylan in the lyrics. Perfect 70s West coast rock/pop music! Makes those Eagles seem like total pussies. They put Macca to shame. If someone takes Wings over Steely Dan, I shall collapse out of shock. We all know that Wings was one of the lamest big-name bands of the 70s.

But, hey, that Band on the Run was still a decent LP-almost as good as The Royal Scam, the Dan's weakest (yet still good) 70s album.....
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
09-18-03 03:19 PM
glencar Nobody has to be in order for the Eagles to look like pussies. That's in the job description for the band. Oy vey!
09-18-03 03:24 PM
Joey " Steely Dan is intelligent, complex rock. THe cool of jazz, the punch of rock and a touch of Dylan in the lyrics. Perfect 70s West coast rock/pop music! Makes those Eagles seem like total pussies. "

Bless You my Son !

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/ae/content/auto/epaper/editions/sunday/arts_entertainment_f3067df636c7d0a210a1.html?urac=n&urvf=10639130552350.663927226542116

Jercee !
09-18-03 03:26 PM
glencar Joey, are you an Eagles fan?
09-18-03 03:35 PM
Joey " Joey, are you an Eagles fan? "

No , I do not like the Eagles OR Fleetwood Mac !

HOWEVER , I WILL go see those bands in concert because I admire the Hell out of a good " Cash Grab " .

" Don Henley made fifty million this year alone Ronnie "

Jercee !

P.S. Blue , I last saw the Eagles in concert at the Sandstone in Bonner Springs , KS ( circa ' 95 ) .

09-18-03 03:37 PM
jb I'm a little worried about Boston College this weekend....they play us real tough up there....
09-18-03 03:40 PM
glencar Joey, I wouldn't mind seeing FMac in concert although I'd be (yyyawwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn) awfully tired at the close. The Eagles are just so sad. I like when Don Henley got all huffy over that Mojo Nixon song.
09-18-03 03:41 PM
Joey " I'm a little worried about Boston College this weekend....they play us real tough up there.... "

They beat Penn State .....................but Penn State sucks so don't worry .

Actually , with our No.# 1 ranked defense getting better and better every day , we MAY end up playing Miami again in the Bowl !

Developing ...............like a rose !

JACKY JACK !
09-18-03 03:47 PM
beautifulsurvivor joey - thanks for posting the link to the review of Steely Dan. hopefully some here will check it out.

i love the Stones, i love Steely Dan...it's apples and oranges folks...you can't compare them...just respect them for what they are.

peace
09-18-03 03:49 PM
Joey " I love the Stones, i love Steely Dan...it's apples and oranges folks...you can't compare them...just respect them for what they are.

peace "

I would like to caress your kneecaps !
09-18-03 04:03 PM
telecaster At one of the recent Rock N Roll Hall of Fame awards, the one where Johnny Johnson and Steely Dan were inducted, Keith was up on stage inducting JJ and Becker and Fagan did not give him (Keith) the respect due

That bumped them down in my oh so correct book

However, the hottest chick in our high school liked them
so they still make the playlist for old time warm and fuzzy memories
09-18-03 04:06 PM
Joey " However, the hottest chick in our high school liked them
so they still make the playlist for old time warm and fuzzy memories "

Was she the one who was fucking Daltrey in the fall of ' 79 ??????????????????????????????

Developing ........................

Warm and fuzzily like !

Jacimbo !
09-18-03 04:09 PM
telecaster
quote:
Joey wrote:
" However, the hottest chick in our high school liked them
so they still make the playlist for old time warm and fuzzy memories "

Was she the one who was fucking Daltrey in the fall of ' 79 ??????????????????????????????

Developing ........................

Warm and fuzzily like !

Jacimbo !

I should have said the hottest chick in my class

The one boinking Daltrey was a year behind

She was stacked like the Library of Congress my friend
09-18-03 04:14 PM
Joey " She was stacked like the Library of Congress my friend "

The reason why THE WHO were late to the Cincinnati '79 Soundcheck the night of the tragedy is because Daltrey was banging that hot teenager . 18,000 people standing around outside the venue so Rog. could get his " Rocks Off " .

Did Pete Townshend ever " eyeball " you that year ?

Shiver ............................

Developing ..........................

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY !

09-18-03 04:23 PM
Prodigal Son Well Joey, I speak the truth and that's it. As for the Eagles, yes-even James Taylor can make them look like total whimps, better yet simps. I won't go as for as saying John Denver. He is the uncontrollable sentimental compared to the Eagles whimp/feelgood rock. While Hotel California is their only really good one, it still pales compared to every Steely Dan album. Let's look at it; their sound that burst out in 1972-73 was quintessential jazzy pop-rock laden with hooks and catchy chord patterns and luring melodies (sounds like I'm describing catching fish, here). Let's discuss;
That sound is replicated by many West Coast smooth rock bands from the 70s. But the Fleetwood Mac sound is quite derivative of Becker and Fagen's studio craft; clear drums (M. Fleetwood), brilliant rock guitaring (Lindsey Buckingham-the only true great solo guy of the Mac), and all those electric pianos/keyboards that Fagen likes (Christine McVie).
Difference is, Steely Dan used great studio session men after ditching the original lineup that feat. Jeff Baxter, Jim Hodder and for one fateful debut album, David Palmer (a crooning pretty boy) who fit in worse than the glove on O.J,'s hand. If Steely Dan could prove that Michael McDonald WAS good for something (his top notch backup vocals on Pretzel Logic, Katy Lied, The Royal Scam and Aja), then how could you go wrong with that group/studio project. Best of what they used as hired hands;
Lead guitarist: Larry Carlton
Bass: Chuck Rayner
Drums: Jeff Porcaro (Toto's drummer who died cause of an allergic reaction to flowers and a cocaine intake that combined to give him a heart attack), although a bonus mention to Steve Gadd for his brilliant drumming on "Aja."
Keyboards: Paul Griffin
Backup vocals: M. McDonald
There's my reasons for liking them. I don't seem to recall anything they did to disrespect Keith because I saw that HOF show. Please explain.
I only wished they could've gotten someone other than that geek Moby to induct them.Thus concludes my essay. Hell, I can do this analytical stuff for any group I happen to like. It's all part my way of giving, and I'm giving it all to you, to quote the Small Faces.
I'm ready to be flamed for indulging in a non-Stones group on this board. But admittedly, in the grand scheme, sure Steely Dan was great but not a rock group that changed things or made a huge indent on the history of it. Even a lesser group such as the Sex Pistols can mean more to history than them. But never, will I ever compare anyone to the Stones... They are the tops in my book. Even the Who falls short, sorry Joey.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
Page: 1 2