ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From Russia with love
Thanks Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Exile - Initial Reviews Return to archive
09-15-03 02:15 PM
Statman When EXile was originally released it got very mixed reviews. Why was that?
09-15-03 02:21 PM
jb Because most teachers are morons.
09-15-03 02:32 PM
Statman Well, at least I got flamed early...Got my feet wet, so to speak. Say, aren't you one of the degenerates that posts over at Gas3X?
09-15-03 02:33 PM
jb Hello statman-couldn't resist(jb a/k/a Josh,Esq).
09-15-03 02:42 PM
Statman Hopefully we can get along a little better than we did at Gas3X. I'm for a fresh start, what about you?
09-15-03 02:44 PM
Joey " When EXile was originally released it got very mixed reviews. Why was that? "

Lyndon Johnson felt trapped by his decision -- If he let Ho Chi Minh and the communist North run wild through the streets of Saigon without even trying , without even putting up a fight , he felt that he would be giving a big fat reward to aggression . On the other hand , he had been warned by many ( Clark Clifford and George Ball to name a few ) that regardless of how many bombs he dropped or how many men he sent into the countryside , there was no way of keeping the NVA off of the South -- the enemy could sneak through the other countries and end - run all over us .

Plus , lurking ever present was RFK , who considered LBJ an usurper , and felt it was his sworn duty to return the " throne " to the Kennedy Family .

I hope this helps !

Jacky !
09-15-03 02:47 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Statman wrote:
When EXile was originally released it got very mixed reviews. Why was that?

Because it was incredibly different from most mainstream albums that had been released up until that point. People wanted another album of incredibly straightforwardly-produced-but-ravishing rock'n'roll, a la Sticky Fingers. What they got was Keith Richards dragging his fellow bandmates into his basement at all hours to put down a mix of everything between gospel and proto-metal, frequently mixing genres so intricately that you couldn't sit down and say "Oh, this is a funk song" or "This is a ballad".

It was new and, to be honest, a bit out there for 1972. The Beatles had just broken up and only the Stones, Who (and eventually the Faces, though they really snuck in there because of Rod Stewart, and they don't really count as 'first wave') were left to carry on the first wave of British Invasion. People wanted the Stones to make five or ten more versions of Let It Bleed and call it quits. What they got was a sonic assault in a sprawling double album that sounds like they really did stuff a full-fledged gospel revival tour, a country trio and a hard-rock band into a basement for a few weeks.

Now, of course, we know better. People were dumb, and the album was incredible.

Rolling Stone has panned almost every album the Stones have released on their initial reviews, except for Steel Wheels, which they gave five stars. Read their reviews of Sticky Fingers and Exile for some laughs.

-tSYX --- May the good lord shine a light on you...
09-15-03 02:53 PM
jb No problem...
09-15-03 03:00 PM
Mother baby
quote:
Statman wrote:
When EXile was originally released it got very mixed reviews. Why was that?

I dunno but I always suspected (probably erroneously as usual) that some people were still sore about Altamont.
09-15-03 03:31 PM
Joey
Good point .

Then President never leveled with the public about the struggle that lay ahead and hid the costs of the war ( Much like our current President ) .

Lyndon saw what WWII did to Roosevelt's New Deal and the Korean War to Truman 's Fair Deal so he never called up the reserves , extended the tours of duty or present to the population the tremendous challenges that all of us would have to endure so as to keep the " Great Society " legislation a coming .

09-15-03 03:54 PM
beer A wise man said that Exile needed time to age, like a fine wine, before it would really be appreciated.

of course now it is regarded as the 2nd best rock and roll album ever made and it will never be topped by any band ever.

the 1st best rock and roll album is of course, Toto's Greatest Hits, as voted by Rolling Stone Magazine.
09-15-03 03:57 PM
jb Most people, including many who post here, have never listened to Exile.
09-15-03 03:58 PM
Joey " Most people, including many who post here, have never listened to Exile. "

Keno despises it !

09-15-03 04:00 PM
jb Joey, what is the real story behind Max's reduced # of posts and his unwillingness to respond to us.
09-15-03 04:03 PM
Joey " Joey, what is the real story behind Max's reduced # of posts and his unwillingness to respond to us. "

He is still in the midst of " post partum " depression and is undergoing a " crisis of confidence " at the moment for he fears that Hillary " Puss Puss " Clinton will run for President THIS election and win big .

Word to your Mother !

Joeskee !

09-15-03 04:07 PM
jb You know I fully support Bush on the war on terror and his strong support for my people may result in my first ballot ever for a republican....I saw SS's post and was disappointed...while I agree his domestic policies leave a lot to be desired, the man is saving us from horrific acts of terrorism ....for that alone, I respect him.
09-15-03 04:20 PM
Joey " saw SS's post and was disappointed...while I agree his domestic policies leave a lot to be desired, the man is saving us from horrific acts of terrorism ....for that alone, I respect him. "

Josh , a six hundred billion dollar budget defict year after year IS a horrific act of terrorism .

You don't realize it yet , but your state /local taxes , property taxes , homeowner's insurance , etc . are all going to skyrocket in the next few years all the while important services/programs for inner city kids / the poor / the disadvantaged / non-Cubs fans are cut back .

Yet , after four or five " Jaggerbombs " on a typical Friday evening , I really don't give a " rats ass " either .

Word !

J. Fly !

09-15-03 04:32 PM
Prodigal Son Exile was thought to be mediocre and packed with muddled-sounding throwaways. But after time, people have come to admit its greatness. One very positive review I've seen was Robert Christgau in Village Voice giving it an A+. He said it was their masterpiece that took all the old themes of violence, sex as power, sex as lust, sex as irony and turned them into a melting pot of Americana music. By his review 70s book, it was the top album of 1972. I love the review of Black and Blue too. An A- and a great comment: "Prognosis: Not dead by a longshot." He also gives Sticky Fingers and Some Girls an A, GHS and IORR a B and Get Yer Ya-Yas an A. Love You Live gets a lowly C+ while Metamorphisis gets a C. If only some critics gave them a break just because they weren't as relevant as the 60s. You can't make Beggar's Banquet and Let it Bleed over and over.
09-15-03 05:10 PM
Mother baby
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
Rolling Stone has panned almost every album the Stones have released on their initial reviews, except for Steel Wheels, which they gave five stars. Read their reviews of Sticky Fingers and Exile for some laughs.

Are those reviews online someplace?

[Edited by Mother baby]
09-16-03 12:44 AM
corgi37 I agree a bit with MotherBaby about people still being pissed off with the band for Altamont. Remember, the Stones were at one time virtual leaders of the alternative world. The Engligh Establishment thought them such a threat in 67 that they got rail roaded. Brian was hounded no end. The Stones took their audience for a ride to the edge of the cliff, and after Altamont, backed right away. Sympathy wasnt perfomed for years. Their are old school fans (my sis is one) who hates them after let it bleed. Exile was an album that made you think. The mix MADE you listen closely to the lyrics. No doubt it is the greatest rock album ever. It is pure genius. But, how could critics at the time, trying to remain cool to the kids, possibly "get" the record when the massive production overloads of Elton, Bowie, Pink Floyd and many U.K. glam rockers were in fashion? Of that era, only really the Stones, Deep Purple and at least for the first 4 albums, LEd Zep, stick with recording on the Stones mobile and not fussing too much over tech wizardry. However, jagger also lost a lot of old schoolers by going glam himself in 72, and certainly by 75 with the bum dance and full make-up, and getting away from the blues, the band lost alot of the oldies. They made up for it by snaring new generations, particularly in 78 and 81, but many many folk who loved, say, Heart of stone, cared nought for Hot Stuff. But, hey, the pricks are still rocking and we should be grateful for that. Just wish they'd rock into a fucking studio and put more than 4 damn songs down!
09-16-03 01:47 AM
Prodigal Son True, Corgi. The Stones not being the vicious, snarling rock band and getting away from the blues caused many to desert. But how could they stay the same? Would a 40 year old Mick with the cops tracking down his whereabouts and busting them all for drug possessions be cool? No way. They had to try something new. And his devilish image was getting silly for a guy nearing 40. Though jet-set Mick was not exactly everyone's cuppa tea. Still, it'd be pitiful if they tried to be angry young men like the Sex Pistols in their 40s are pretending to be. Their true fans knew that things had to move on. The old hardcore fans just saw the group as role models and giant rebels in society. They saw the post-Altamont Stones as glorifying glamour rather than making it look scary. They just weren't true Stones fans, more like fans living their ideals through the band. The Stones were a cultural phenomenon from 1964 to 1970, musical phenomenon until 1972, greatest rock band until 1982, then just a great band with nothing in the present to brag about from 82 till now.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
09-16-03 04:14 AM
beer I dont think any album will ever cover the ground that Exile covered, and pull it off so amazingly. It literally covers every aspect of rock music and does it genuinely. this is no easy feat, my friends. Many bands have tried but none even come close. What makes it even better is that Mick downplays it as a masterpiece, saying it's "over rated". Keith and Ronnie both picked it as their favorite Stones album! As any guitar player should...
09-16-03 01:54 PM
jb Maybe one of you computer geeks can find some old reviews and post them here...I'm sure some nerd here could do that.
09-16-03 02:31 PM
glencar When in Dublin last week, one of my friends had a bunch of old NME reviews of the Stones' 70s product. It was interesting to see what got highlighted. They hated Silver Train. Exile did okay if I recall correctly. It's all a blur at this point.
09-16-03 05:30 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Mother baby wrote:

Are those reviews online someplace?

[Edited by Mother baby]

http://www.robertchristgau.com

Dig his excellent review and article on Dirty Work

And Josh, you've really been a prick lately.

I'm sure that makes you proud!

09-16-03 06:01 PM
Mother baby Thanks for the link Nasty Habits.
09-16-03 07:51 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy The reason why Ronnie and Keith love it while Mick hates it is because when it came out, most of the big mags slammed Jimmy Miller's choice to not bring up Mick's vocals. As a result, Mick's voice is on the same level as the rest of the instruments, and it sounds like he's just as much a part of the muck as the guitars are. In reality, Jimmy Miller was a production genius, this being the album that destroyed his career. He was one of those folks like Graham Parsons who didn't survive being around Keith. For evidence of this, listen to the muck that is Goat's Head Soup and it's pretty obvious the control room's empty. It sounds dated as opposed to Exile's timeless "adreneline in a runoff puddle" growl.

Man, Exile. What a great album.

-tSYX --- Good evening, without further adieu, good evening...
09-18-03 06:42 AM
glencar Wonder if we'll ever get a remixed version of it a la the Neptunes?
09-18-03 02:35 PM
macawber at times its hard for me to even listen to exile-it just reminds me of how horrible the more recent albums are.

now every disc is so calculated-we need this producer for that sound because we're this old and this is whats happening now....what you end up getting is like cocaine that has been stepped on by about thirty people.
exile was the raw shit...