ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From Russia with love
Thanks Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Johnny Cash Dies Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
09-12-03 06:10 AM
keefa It is my sad duty to inform you that country music legend Johnny Cash has died at age 71. I am a big fan of Johnny's and I know many of you were, this is a terrible loss. The music industry lost one of the best they had.

I am however, not surprised by this announcement seeing as how his wife passed away not too long ago and I knew that would put a lot of strain on him.

I will be listening to Johnny Cash all day today. . .

keefa
[Edited by keefa]
09-12-03 06:15 AM
Jumacfly RIP johnny.....well sad news indeed....will listen the tenessee stud tonight

Cheers
JU
09-12-03 06:30 AM
albert Just heard the news on dutch national radio FM3.
They played 'One'.
Thanx Johnny for a life time of beautifull music.
Rest in peace..........

Albert
Holland
09-12-03 07:00 AM
dealer squealing RIP Johnny,
One of the all time greatest singer, its getting crowded up there.
09-12-03 07:32 AM
Maxlugar Wow just terrible.

Folsom Prison for me tonight.

A pure genius that will be missed more than we can contemplate just yet.

Macky! (AKA Sue)

09-12-03 07:46 AM
partner in crime IT'S A SAD, SAD DAY ...
MARCO
09-12-03 08:13 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Goddamnit!

Good musicians need to *stop dying right now*!

I hope, wherever Johnny is, that he's with his wife and they're having a good time while Folsom Prison plays on the stereo. RIP, Man In Black.

-tSYX --- Anything but Sue!
09-12-03 08:19 AM
Factory Girl Very sad indeed. A true genius of country music.

RIP, Mr. Cash. Thank you.
09-12-03 08:22 AM
parmeda Good guys definately wear black...
Peace, Mr. Cash
09-12-03 08:39 AM
Sir Stonesalot I....uhhhhhh.....I can't.....ummmmmm.....I don't have any words.

I am very sad.
09-12-03 08:42 AM
Larry Dallas I'm devastated.
09-12-03 08:52 AM
alex_taper the last time I heard J.Cash was at Werchter before the stones show (it was a U2 cover I think). I think they play that song before each show of the tour because I also heard it in Paris..
09-12-03 09:01 AM
stonedinaustralia "i'll wear black until there is no more evil in this world..."

well, i guess, he was bound to go sometime and as keefa pointed out it could've been anyday now...

and i wonder how jerry lee lewis feels tonight??

i recall an apocraphyl story that keith, finding himself in the right place - at the right time, sought to take advantage of a "photo opportunity" with johnny but johnny said no...
09-12-03 09:04 AM
steel driving hammer Wonder if he's slamming shots w/ Jesus now.
09-12-03 09:14 AM
hotlicks Very sad news,last night my son was putting together a cash compilation for hinself-spooky.RIP.
09-12-03 09:31 AM
Joey " Wonder if he's slamming shots w/ Jesus now. "

Keith Moon .

Rest in Peace John Ritter !

09-12-03 09:41 AM
stonedinaustralia look...you'll have to excuse my ignorance and i mean no disrespect...but who the fuck is john ritter???

thnx in advance
09-12-03 09:45 AM
steel driving hammer He's that guy on the 70's show Three's Company.

An all around great guy.

09-12-03 09:52 AM
Joey
My Baby Steelie .......................................

I just want to say one thing and one thing only , and please ................let's just keep this between you's and I's .....................................

Baby , you got " Game " today .

Jercee !
09-12-03 09:53 AM
stonedinaustralia thanx sdh i sort of recall that stuff...i didn't really pay much attention to it...when the lord gets ready, you gotta move...

09-12-03 09:56 AM
steel driving hammer Word to your Mother!

Heading right up to Chicago after work today until Monday night.

My prediction : Nebraska 34 - Penn State 0
09-12-03 10:08 AM
Joey " Word to your Mother!

Heading right up to Chicago after work today until Monday night.

My prediction : Nebraska 34 - Penn State 0 "

I would like to bite and kiss you !

Jercee !

09-12-03 10:53 AM
KeepRigid A friend just asked me a few days ago, 'What are you gonna do when he dies?'

This is very sad.

Last night, I had been talking about his planned gospel album, wondering if he'd gotten to record anything since June passed away.

If not, the world may have just missed it's chance to hear the best of Johnny Cash.

09-12-03 11:04 AM
Stones Fan, Gar Very sad news to wake up to this morning. Angels, cradle his soul, his was a hard life.
09-12-03 11:59 AM
Nasty Habits There's a wonderful invention
It's called the radio
You can hear it every where you chance to go
But the static in the air
Sometimes makes it hard to hear
But it is not so with heaven's radio

Heaven's radio on the other shore
For my precious savior always listens in
It's the same old radio that was used long time ago

Daniel in the lions den
With this power should surely win
And I know without a doubt
Honest prayers will bring you out

Well He set the Hebrews three
From the fiery furnace free

He will rescue you today
In that same old fashioned way

Carter Family, 1940

RIP Johnny, never to be flushed from this bathroom of our hearts.
09-12-03 12:02 PM
T&A Sad, indeed. Listening to the Dylan/Cash sessions bootleg right now - Just a Closer Walk with Thee....wow, what a voice...enormous loss....
09-12-03 12:20 PM
stonedinaustralia thank you nasty habits
09-12-03 12:20 PM
sonicrock adieu mon gars.
09-12-03 01:24 PM
Martha Entertainment  09/12/2003  10:16:28 EST

Music Legend Johnny Cash Dies at 71
By JOHN GEROME
Associated Press Writer

Johnny Cash, "The Man in Black" who became a towering figure in American music with such hits as "Folsom Prison Blues," "I Walk the Line" and "A Boy Named Sue," died Friday. He was 71.

Cash died of complications from diabetes that resulted in respiratory failure, his manager, Lou Robin, said in a statement issued by Baptist Hospital in Nashville. Cash died at the hospital at 3 a.m. EDT.

"I hope that friends and fans of Johnny will pray for the Cash family to find comfort during this very difficult time," Robin said.

Cash had been released from the hospital Wednesday after a two-week stay for treatment of an unspecified stomach ailment. The illness caused him to miss last month's MTV Video Music Awards, where he had been nominated in seven categories. He won one award for the video "Hurt," a reflection on mortality that showed his brittle health.

He had battled a disease of the nervous system, autonomic neuropathy, and pneumonia in recent years. His second wife, June Carter Cash, who co-wrote Cash's hit "Ring of Fire," died in May.

"More than any single person I can think of, Johnny Cash broadened interest in country music all around the world. He was just a huge star, and became a cultural icon in America," said Ed Benson, executive director of the Country Music Association. "It's extremely sad. He's certainly someone who is irreplaceable in the music business, and in the hearts and minds of many Americans."

Dozens of hit records like "Folsom Prison Blues," "I Walk the Line," and "Sunday Morning Coming Down" defined Cash's persona: a haunted, dignified, resilient spokesman for the working man and downtrodden.

Cash's deeply lined face fit well with his unsteady voice, which was limited in range but used to great effect to sing about prisoners, heartaches and tales of everyday life. He wrote much of his own material, and was among the first to record the songs of Bob Dylan and Kris Kristofferson.

"One Piece at a Time" was about an assembly line worker who built a car out of parts stolen from his factory. "A Boy Named Sue," a Shel Silverstein song he took to No. 1 in 1969, was a comical story of a father who gives his son a girl's name to make him tough.

Cash said in his 1997 autobiography "Cash" that he tried to speak for "voices that were ignored or even suppressed in the entertainment media, not to mention the political and educational establishments."

His career spanned generations, with each finding something of value in his simple records, many of which used his trademark rockabilly rhythm.

He was a peer of Elvis Presley when rock 'n' roll was born in Memphis in the 1950s, and he scored hits like "Cry! Cry! Cry!" during that era. He had a longtime friendship and recorded with Dylan, who has cited Cash as a major influence.

"His influence spread over many generations of different people," said Rolling Stones singer Mick Jagger. "I loved him as singer and a writer. I remember years ago a big part of our repertoire was two of my favorite Johnny Cash songs, 'I Walk The Line' and 'Ballad Of A Teenage Queen.'"

Elvis Costello, who once recorded with Cash, called him "a great, great man. ... He made me feel very welcome in his home and I will never forget that."

Country singer Barbara Mandrell recalled his star quality.

"Truly I can only think of two people in my life, where you knew it when they were in the building just by their presence. The air would just get exciting and stimulating and electric even if you couldn't see them. Those two people were Johnny Cash and Billy Graham," she said

Cash won 11 Grammy Awards - most recently in 2003, when "Give My Love To Rose" earned him honors as best male country vocal performance - and numerous Country Music Association awards. He was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1980 and inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992.

June Carter Cash, who partnered with him in hits such as "Jackson," and daughter Rosanne Cash also were successful singers.

"It's a sad day in Tennessee, but a great day in Heaven," said Merle Kilgore, best man at their wedding. "The 'Man in Black' is now wearing white as he joins his wife June in the angel band."

Truck driver Bobby Williams of Spokane, Wash., en route from Tennessee to Tampa, Fla., stopped and bowed his head for a moment when he heard Cash had died.

"He was the greatest man ever picked a guitar. He spoke to the American man. He did songs people could understand and relate to," said Williams, who then sang a few lyrics of his favorite Cash recording, "(Ghost) Riders in the Sky."

The late 1960s and '70s were Cash's peak commercial years, and he was host of his own ABC variety show from 1969-71. In later years, he was part of the Highwayman supergroup with Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and Kristofferson.

In the 1990s, Cash found a new artistic life recording with rap and hard rock producer Rick Rubin on the label American Recordings. And he was back on the charts in with the 2002 album "American IV: the Man Comes Around."

Most recently, Cash was recognized for his cover of the Nine Inch Nails song "Hurt." He had hoped to attend the MTV Video Music Awards, where the video won for best cinematography, but he was hospitalized.

He also wrote books including two autobiographies, and acted in films and television shows.

In his 1971 hit "Man in Black," Cash said his black clothing symbolized the downtrodden people in the world. Cash had been "The Man in Black" since he joined the Grand Ole Opry at age 25.

"Everybody was wearing rhinestones, all those sparkle clothes and cowboy boots," he said in 1986. "I decided to wear a black shirt and pants and see if I could get by with it. I did and I've worn black clothes ever since."

John R. Cash was born Feb. 26, 1932, in Kingsland, Ark., one of seven children. When he was 12, his 14-year-old brother and hero, Jack, died after an accident while sawing oak trees into fence posts. The tragedy had a lasting impact on Cash, and he later pointed to it as a possible reason his music was frequently melancholy.

He worked as a custodian and enlisted in the Air Force, learning guitar while stationed in Germany, before launching his music career after his 1954 discharge.

"All through the Air Force, I was so lonely for those three years," Cash told The Associated Press during a 1996 interview. "If I couldn't have sung all those old country songs, I don't think I could have made it."

Cash launched his career in Memphis, performing on radio station KWEM. He auditioned with Sun Records, ultimately recording the single "Hey Porter," which became a hit.

Sun Records also launched the careers of Presley, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis and others.

"Folsom Prison Blues" went to No. 4 on the country charts in 1956 and featured Cash's most famous couplet: "I shot a man in Reno/ just to watch him die."

Cash recorded theme albums celebrating the railroads and the Old West, and decrying the mistreatment of American Indians. Two of his most popular albums were recorded live at prisons. Along the way he notched 14 No. 1 country music hits.

Because of Cash's frequent performances in prisons and his rowdy lifestyle early in his career, many people wrongly thought he had served prison time. He never did, though he battled addictions to pills on and off throughout his life.

He blamed fame for his vulnerability to drug addiction.

"When I was a kid, I always knew I'd sing on the radio someday. I never thought about fame until it started happening to me," he said in 1988. "Then it was hard to handle. That's why I turned to pills."

He credited June Carter Cash, whom he married in 1968, with helping him stay off drugs, though he had several relapses over the years and was treated at the Betty Ford Center in California in 1984. Together, June Carter and Cash had one child, John Carter Cash. He is a musician and producer.

Singer Rosanne Cash is Johnny Cash's daughter from his first marriage, to Vivian Liberto. Their other three children were Kathleen, Cindy and Tara. They divorced in 1966.

In March 1998, Cash made headlines when his California-based record company, American Recordings, took out an advertisement in the music trade magazine Billboard. The full-page ad celebrated Cash's 1998 Grammy award for best country album for "Unchained." The ad showed an enraged-looking Cash in his younger years making an obscene gesture to sarcastically illustrate his thanks to country radio stations and "the country music establishment in Nashville," which he felt had unfairly cast him aside.

Jennings, a close friend, once said of Cash: "He's been like a brother to me. He's one of the greatest people in the world."

Cash once credited his mother, Carrie Rivers Cash, with encouraging him to pursue a singing career.

"My mother told me to keep on singing, and that kept me working through the cotton fields. She said God has his hand on you. You'll be singing for the world someday."

Cash lived in Hendersonville, Tenn., just outside of Nashville. He also had a home in Jamaica.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press.
09-12-03 01:33 PM
Prodigal Son Just a terrible day. Johnny Cash was one of the icons of 20th century music. Definitely the king of country. What a sad week to lose him and Warren Zevon only days apart. RIP, Johnny.
Page: 1 2 3 4