ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From Russia with love
Thanks Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger to appear in "guru" documentary Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
09-12-03 03:06 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Street Fighting Man wrote:
As for the "2/3 of the planet" comment, as I shared in my previous post, Romans 1:20-22 clearly says men are without excuse before God for not hearing about him because the awesomeness of nature testifies to God. It's an individual's sins which send them to hell (i.e., God can't allow sin into heaven).

Y'know, that Original Sin schtick is a BIG flaw in your whole spiel. Hard to put a good spin on it. Here's a question: say a baby is born blind deaf and dumb and put onto life support immediately. Never had a chance to make up his/her mind about your fairy tale one way or the other, and had no opportunity to do ANYTHING, sinful or otherwise...and then dies. Where does the baby's pure white soul go? What? TO HELL, you say?

Seems a bit harsh! But rules are rules!

Does sin begin at birth or conception? Is there a special part of hell for aborted fetuses who didn't accept Jesus?

Oh, by the way, that link you gave me was to a verse that said Jesus' DAD was a carpenter.(I thought his dad was GAWD!) I asked about JESUS being a carpenter. MY dad was a carpenter too, and I can't pound a nail in straight.

See, this is the kinda shoddy journalism that calls the whole deal into doubt. I ask because a LOT of people who think they're in the know claim Jesus was born Dec 25 in a manger and was a carpenter.

I am of the opinion that none of that stuff is in your book.

Also, I've read that part about snake handling a few times and still can't grasp how it's taken out of context. Is your conjecture that he was only assigning super-powers to his followers but not THEIR followers? How are we (or more importantly, those poor gullible fools who handle serpents) supposed to KNOW that? And why snake-handling, rather than X-Ray vision or the ability to leap tall buildings at a single bound?

Also, isn't "the wages of sin IS death" improper grammer? I always thought that the subject (wages) must agree with the predicate. Shouldn't it be "ARE"?? Are grammatical errors God's fault or the translator's? Wouldn't He make sure His word was proof-read, or doesn't He sweat the small details?

So many questions!

TIA!
09-12-03 03:13 PM
Joey

Fleabit ....................................

Has anyone EVER told you that you look EXACTLY like Roger Daltrey ???????????

Developing ................................

Jercee Joe Wolcott !

09-12-03 03:43 PM
Egbert More like Jeff "Skunk" Baxter.

This thread seems to be running out of steam. I have just the solution:

Taylor or Woody - discuss.
09-12-03 03:46 PM
Street Fighting Man Dear Stonedinaustralia,

Jesus actually said the opposite of what you've heard. It's actually a very commonly misrepresented truth of the Word of God. Another good reason for people to study the Bible.

Here's the Bible verse you're referring to in Matthew 5:38-39, Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'[7] 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." It was part of the the Sermon on the Mt. that Jesus gave: http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=MATT+5&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on

If you've got a King James Version (KJV) of the bible, that's a good one.

Respectfully,

SFM
09-12-03 03:56 PM
FPM C10
quote:

Here's the Bible verse you're referring to in Matthew 5:38-39, Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'[7] 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

Wait a minute! George W Bush is a Good Christian who talk to God, and God told him to go kick some Muslim butt!

Is W just misinterpreting the Bible or is he the Anti-Christ?

How can this "Christian" nation be going down such an obviously UN-Christian path, yet smugly proclaim their holier-than-thou-ness? And get into a holy war with a religion which is WAY into martyrdom? Christians nowadays are a bit too comfy to strap bombs to themselves. If it's a battle of FAITH, we are toast. Will God step in and rescue us? Is there a 900-Foot-Tall Jesus in the picture anywhere?

I'm only asking for your opinion on this one, what YOU think with your own mind. It's a fair question.

I'm laying my money on him being the Anti-Christ, although I always pictured the Anti-Christ as being a little smarter.
09-12-03 04:06 PM
Joey Fleabit ............................

Do you realize that you kinda resemble Patrick Duffy ( circa 1977 " Man From Atlantis " period -- Pre Dallas ) ?

Jercee !
09-12-03 04:59 PM
icydanger
ithere is him ben laden and a few others
cheek out attitude
"you pull the trigger

street fighting
bibles? i have a few, corans also as well as many other religious texts books from different places and spread over millenaries, i try and correlate them.

09-13-03 12:16 AM
prism America's founding fathers, our first four presidents, were not Christian. They were deists. Today they'd be considered Unitarians. They valued reason and science. They were appalled by religious fanaticism and witch burnings. Their vision of America was one of a tolerant country of diversity with total separation between church and state. Our founding fathers would be rolling in their graves at some of George Bush's speeches. Recently Bush gave a press conference in which he said "We are all sinners"! He quotes Jesus. He speaks as if he's a messenger of God. That's exactly what the founding fathers wanted to prevent. Politicians shouldn't be manipulating the voters with religion.
09-13-03 09:16 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Dear Stonedinaustralia,

Jesus actually said the opposite of what you've heard. It's actually a very commonly misrepresented truth of the Word of God. Another good reason for people to study the Bible.

Here's the Bible verse you're referring to in Matthew 5:38-39, Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'[7] 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." It was part of the the Sermon on the Mt. that Jesus gave: http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=MATT+5&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on

If you've got a King James Version (KJV) of the bible, that's a good one.

Respectfully,

SFM

well sfm i'm not going to accuse you of intellectual dishonesty but rather i'll put it down to your confusing my point

you assert that the bible is the word of truth and doesn't contradict itself - my refence to "an eye for eye" was a reference to Exodus 21:24 - as i'm sure you are aware that particular chapter lays down the bedrock legislation for some serious vengance and is relied on by many of your fellow believers to justify (amongst other things) capital punishment or to put it another way state sanctioned murder - that this was recanted by our 900ft friend only shows an admission of fallibility and inconsistency in the text by the text - indeeed, one can find a bible verse to justify just about any poition - even the devil can quote scripture to suit his(her?) purposes, as the saying goes

i do study the bible as it happens (not religously 'tho - ha ha!!) - whether you "believe" it or not there's no denying it's influence on history as a "document" - as far as it's influence on human hstrory goes it has been more powerful (for good or ill) than any WMD - actually, it always amuses me that when i have these types of discussions with "true believers" in real life i (more often that not) know more or just as much about it (christianity/religion in general and the bible in particular)than or as they do

as far as the english language is concerned the King James is the only "bible" ,in my view, but make sure it's Authorised Version (and not the Revised text of 1879 let alone the Revised Standard Version (circa 1940s) or the New Revised Standard Version (1990)) which was written more or less contemporaneously with shakespere at a time when the english language was morphing into the language that we know today - indeed the symbiotic relationship between the church , the state and the language at that time is a whole other field of enqiry - up until that time the language of the royal Court, government and the law was french - the church, of course, used the (but for them) dead latin - with english becoming the language of the law and government it was in fact the beginning of what would become the modern "democractic" ideas of governance (again cf. the church who clung to their esoteric ways to ensure it's power base could not be infiltrated by the great unwashed) - but i digress

- i have no time for any of those other "modern" translations which so bastardize the language of the KJ (AV) it makes you wonder what the original texts actually say - 'tho i heard some lines from a recently published australian version where it had been completely paraphrased into aussie slang (hilarious)

as to your beliefs, well that's your affair - don't get me wrong the fundamental tenants of the gospels - you know, the love thy neighbour and do unto others line of thinking i have no problem with - what i do have a problem with is the cumbersome nature of "christianity" as a way of explaining human existence and a belief system - i mean all that transubstantiation stuff is all a little awkward both logically and theosophically and it, along with notions such as immaculate conception and the idea that that the description of creation in genesis is more than just an allegorical device, has a bad air of medieval thinking about it

science is the new religion, my man and things have been heading that way since the days of the enlightenment - no doubt about it, 2 plus 2 will ALWAYS equal four - in that you can have complete faith - which is why, when it comes to belief systems i have a personal bent for bhuddism - that ying/yang principle has a scientic resonance e.g. compare it with the positive/negative forces of electricity or the male/female dichotomy of natural life that appeals to me - god is an electro-chemical reaction - and one can hear echoes of the laws of karma in newto'ns third law of motion... although i will admit that for western man spiritually the rise of science has left a lot of people out on an existential limb wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth with the angst of it all...

anyway, i'm beginning to ramble but it is sunday morning down here now so there you go...

however, sfm, now that i have made my point clear (i hope), i look forward to your considered response

yours in a bubbling soup of matter and energy looking for a handle to the great magnet...

09-13-03 11:49 PM
FPM C10 I love this thread!
09-14-03 12:05 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
KEEE-ripes!

Isn't there some law about seperation of church and Stones?

HAHHHHHH!!!!! Gassy of the holiest order!!!

Too funny!

[Sorry god, it really was funny.]
09-14-03 12:51 AM
sirmoonie I just feel sorry for the pygmies. The deck was stacked against them in this life, and then when the sinful little bastards die, they all go to hell, where being short and black is even more of a disadvantage than it is here! Just doesn't seem right.

Great thread by the way. Me and god have been cracking up on some of this stuff!

"Where's your messiah now, Ronnie?!?!"
09-14-03 08:24 AM
caro
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

you assert that the bible is the word of truth and doesn't contradict itself - my refence to "an eye for eye" was a reference to Exodus 21:24 - as i'm sure you are aware that particular chapter lays down the bedrock legislation for some serious vengance and is relied on by many of your fellow believers to justify (amongst other things) capital punishment or to put it another way state sanctioned murder - that this was recanted by our 900ft friend only shows an admission of fallibility and inconsistency in the text by the text - indeeed, one can find a bible verse to justify just about any poition - even the devil can quote scripture to suit his(her?) purposes, as the saying goes

Sia, I happened to ask the same "eye to eye" question to one of my relatives, who is a pastor. He said this principle of giving back only what someone had done to you was quite an improvement at the time where it was written. You have to compare it to what people used to do at the time, i.e. start a vendetta that would never end, if someone offended them. I don't know if this is true, but it seems logical to me, and "historically" acceptable, if not morally.

Anyway, I don't know why you shouldn't accept that there are some contradictions in a book that has been written over several centuries. I'm not a christian, but christians who accept that their faith don't really fit their actual life (and try to deal with it) seem a lot more reassuring to me than those who claim to have "pure" faith.

Regarding what you said about science being the new religion : I REALLY hope it's not like that any more. I mean, the 2+2=4 thing may be right, but you probably know better than me how much you can distort scientific observations. As far as I remember, racism was born as a "scientific theory".
I'd rather some religion where believers have no other possibility to justify their faith than to say "somehow I feel this is true". People who conclude each of their assertions by "it's scientifically proven" make me nervous, to say the least.

[Edited by caro]
09-14-03 09:02 AM
icydanger sia great post

Interpretations of past; one is often influenced by the idea one has beforehand, and one will try and make the facts match between each other and disregard some other elements. Scholars often argue.

the Bible, w2itness of humans past and religion
has so many documents to yet be translated,,, (who could of been added)

Lyrics from Steel Pulse

NOT KING JAMES VERSION

David Hinds

CHORUS
A dis ya version
A no King James version
‘Cause out of Africa
Came the Garden of Eden

Hidden from me I was never told
Ancient prophets black and gold
Like Daniel, King David and Abraham
Israel were all black men
I don’t wanna lose you

Japhet tried his best to erase
The godly parts we played
I says he came and took
And never mention in his book... so

CHORUS
A dis ya version
A no King James version
‘Cause out of Africa
Came the Garden of Eden

In Esau’s chapter of history
So little mention of you and me
We rulers of kingdoms and dynasties
Explored this Earth for centuries
I don’t wanna lose ya
Phoenicians, Egyptians and the Moors
Built civilisation, that’s for sure
Creators of the alphabet
While the West illiterate..yeh

CHORUS
A dis ya version
A no King James version
‘Cause out of Africa
Came the Garden of Eden

African heritage
I don’t wanna lose ya
Oh, no

Slavery came and took its toll
In the name of John Bull Dog
Said we turned our backs on God
Lost the powers that we had
Now our backs against the wall
Ask ourselves about the fall
Rise rise rise
Hold on to your culture

CHORUS
A dis ya version
A no King James version
‘Cause out of Africa
Came the Garden of Eden

I don’t wanna lose ya
I don’t wanna lose ya
Never let the fool you

that's one view point..., his.

Matthew wrote when christians and jews realized they had different concepts, after the destruction (once more) of the Jerusalem temple. Matthew was (it is said), a tax collector. Were Marc and Luc inspired by "his writings or was it the opposite?
The context was so different, traditions, beliefs were transmitted orally most of the time.

Even so, reminds me of News papers, journalism: interpretations from one same source vary greatly. AP and Reuters send brief news and the result can be extremely different.

sfm
am i twice sinner, since i know about Jesus and see him as a prophet, and a martyre, but not as the only child of God.
conscience........

09-14-03 11:34 AM
sirmoonie What about conjoined twins, where one is a follower and the other one sits around drinking all day? Whats the story on that sitch? Does the hophead get a flyer on slavation because of his better half? Thats a tough one, I think. I'm not even sure god had that one churning around in the ole celestial noggin when he started this you're-either-with-us-or-against-us program.

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this question has been posted before.
09-14-03 02:23 PM
stonedinaustralia [quote]caro wrote:

Anyway, I don't know why you shouldn't accept that there are some contradictions in a book that has been written over several centuries. I'm not a christian, but christians who accept that their faith don't really fit their actual life (and try to deal with it) seem a lot more reassuring to me than those who claim to have "pure" faith.

> caro i don't have any problems accepting that at all, sfm is the one who has trouble with it

Regarding what you said about science being the new religion : I REALLY hope it's not like that any more. I mean, the 2+2=4 thing may be right, but you probably know better than me how much you can distort scientific observations. As far as I remember, racism was born as a "scientific theory".
I'd rather some religion where believers have no other possibility to justify their faith than to say "somehow I feel this is true". People who conclude each of their assertions by "it's scientifically proven" make me nervous, to say the least.

> that's a fair point - to a point - science is by no means unimpeachable - however, at least (at it's highest) it attepmts to explain life in a way that is based on reason and logic - and in the end isn't all about trying to get to the truth

although, i'd say that people 'who have no other possibility to justify their faith than to say "somehow I feel this is true"' make me a little nervous as well -
09-14-03 02:50 PM
sirmoonie I urge all of you to read Hobbes' The Leviathan.

And to start drinking heavily.
09-14-03 03:26 PM
caro
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
although, i'd say that people 'who have no other possibility to justify their faith than to say "somehow I feel this is true"' make me a little nervous as well -

LOL, yeah, ok...
I should have added "people who are honest enough to admit it, and humble enough not to try and convert others."

It just seems to me like SFM is trying to answer questions on this thread that actually don't really matter to him (such as all the terror the church has spread over the centuries). It sounds to me (but maybe I'm wrong here?)like he could care less about knowing if the story of Jesus is aknowledged by historians, for example.
I suppose it all boils down to the fact that a belief can strike someone and change his life, while it leaves others cold. SFM will probably never admit that his religion is not made for everyone, and in return, most people on this thread will never admit that someone can give up so much of his freedom of mind.
Still, SFM, I'd love to hear your thoughts on George Bush...

09-14-03 03:49 PM
sirmoonie 2000 years from now, on Rolling Stones' boards from here to the outer moons of Jupiter, these guys ----> http://www.eckankar.org/ will have everyone saying "Jesus who?"

"Eck me, Ronnie!"
09-14-03 11:39 PM
prism
Keith said, "What a logo: A dead naked man hanging on a cross."

Both Keith and Mick prefer the yin and yang, worship nature, here-and-now philosophies.
09-15-03 12:06 AM
FPM C10
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
2000 years from now, on Rolling Stones' boards from here to the outer moons of Jupiter, these guys ----> http://www.eckankar.org/ will have everyone saying "Jesus who?"

"Eck me, Ronnie!"

Sri Harold Klemp ROCKS!

Thanks Moonie! Thanks to you and Sri Harold Klemp, I have given up my snake-handling, Ganesh-believing-in ways!

Does Joey know? He'll be sayin' "Baba WHO-ey???"

Where Have All the Turtles Gone?

Tony left cold Illinois one November to visit a retired friend in Florida. A small pond graces his backyard.

He complained to Tony that his pond, once home to thirty-five turtles, now had no turtles at all. "Where have all the turtles gone?" he asked on several occasions.

A couple of weeks into the visit, he suggested a bike ride along the harbor and the lake where they had ridden the previous year. This bike path ends near a busy road. There, Tony suddenly felt a presence. Only fifteen feet from the road sat a very large turtle, which nonetheless let him approach without any sign of fear.

Then a picture from the past flashed through his mind.

Tony knew this turtle. They'd met last year after a car had run over it, cracking its shell and leaving it on the road with serious injuries. Tony had gently moved it out of harm's way, setting it in some grass. At his initial touch, the turtle had panicked. But he softly sang HU, the ancient love song to God, which soothed its fearful struggling.

So the turtle now recognized him. It was a meeting between two old friends.

But the road was still a dangerous place for a turtle. Tony picked up his fifty-pound friend, bicycled with this enormous load under his arm through a park amid unbelieving stares, and took it to his friend's place. The next day, Tony also found his mate and reunited them. Both soon had a new home in the backyard pond. A much safer place for breeding turtles.

Twice now, God's love showed itself to his turtle friend through his acts of kindness.

[Edited by FPM C10]
[Edited by FPM C10]
09-15-03 12:28 AM
stonedinaustralia
FPM - i noticed you trie dto post the image and then deleted the attempt - you left out the "/" on the address

so i hope you don't mind but here is the ROCKING harold klemp - what a man!!!

09-15-03 12:50 AM
FPM C10
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

FPM - i noticed you trie dto post the image and then deleted the attempt - you left out the "/" on the address

so i hope you don't mind but here is the ROCKING harold klemp - what a man!!!

I tried it once WITH the slash too - and it's not showing up for you either - because SRI HAROLD KLEMP IS GAWD AMIGHTY! We dare not gaze upon his mild yet fierce countenance!
09-15-03 01:35 AM
sirmoonie Did you guys ever see "Touch" with Bridget Fonda, Christopher Walken, and Skeet Ulrich? I recommend it if you haven't.
09-15-03 02:31 AM
FPM C10
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Did you guys ever see "Touch" with Bridget Fonda, Christopher Walken, and Skeet Ulrich? I recommend it if you haven't.

Is Sri Harold Klemp in it? Cuz I don't wanna see it if he's not.
09-15-03 12:45 PM
sirmoonie I've been reading up on this, and it seems the only way to really prove you are like really down with John 3:16 is to drive some nails through your hands and feet and then stab yourself in the gut.

All else is diet religion. Kind of like the Presbyies.

Thoughts, comments? Moof?
09-15-03 02:04 PM
Joey " I've been reading up on this, and it seems the only way to really prove you are like really down with John 3:16 is to drive some nails through your hands and feet and then stab yourself in the gut.

All else is diet religion. Kind of like the Presbyies.

Thoughts, comments? Moof? "

That " Brown Stinky " I just flushed down the Toilet in the Men's Restroom is THE definition of John 3:16 .

JACKY !
09-15-03 02:18 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:

That " Brown Stinky " I just flushed down the Toilet in the Men's Restroom is THE definition of John 3:16 .

JACKY !

Well,.......that sealed your fate, my dear friend.

Isn't it strange, if not ironical, that all the C10 are going to hell, except Steelie?

Regressing......
09-15-03 02:29 PM
Joey " Isn't it strange, if not ironical, that all the C10 are going to hell, except Steelie?

Regressing...... "

Scary Sh## !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily , nine of us C-10er's will be together in Hell .

Perhaps our Baby Steelie could put in a good word for us with " The Man " .

By the way Moonie , today , YOU GOT GAME !!!!!!!!!!!

" Joey once HAD Game Ronnie "

Joey !
09-15-03 02:50 PM
sirmoonie Joey, some days you gotta forget the shuck and jive, and just play it all the way live.

A wise man once said to me, if you don't cavort, your life will be short.

Naw dim sain? Yiiiuhhhhh....
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7