ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From Russia with love
Thanks Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger to appear in "guru" documentary Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
09-04-03 08:56 PM
glencar If you guys keep deleting, you'll never come up to Josh's level!
09-04-03 09:49 PM
Joey " Muderous fairy tales? I'd be willing to bet that two fairy tales, one called Russian Communism and one called Mao's Little red book killed off a whole lot more christians than they ever killed. "

Yeah , but we got the Bastards back in the years 1964 - 1975 by killing AT LEAST over Four Million Vietnamese .

{{ JOEY CONG }}

09-04-03 10:15 PM
throbby I deleted some of my posts because it's impossible to reason with one who "knows" the true meaning of God's word. When SFM briefly stepped outside this framework to discuss the "lie of the devil" which he says is taught by the Catholic Church, it was quite revealing. He has the good sense not to kill others, but he appears to have erected walls in his mind towards the beliefs of others. When called on this he will say "it's not my bias, but God's word (thought)". Can anyone really know the mind of God to the point of using it to condemn the views of others? He discards the bits of the bible that don't fit with his views and wonders how others can discard the bits he treasures.

It's not spirituality that I have a problem with. My problem lies with dogmatism. It doesn't matter if it's secular in nature or religious. It's all the same to me. They all seem to be rooted in fear. The fear of a different world view , thoughts not in line(lockstep). Those with differing views must either be killed or converted. Stalin, Hitler, Mao were a horror beyond compare, but so were the inquisition, the crusades, and countless other episodes in the journals of religious history. They all had and continue to have the same thing in common, leaders who know how to manipulate the minds of an unquestioning, "obedient" populace. Isn't interesting how all the spiritual teachers stressed humility. They must have saw the potential for carnage their messages would have encased in a certain mindset.

09-04-03 10:25 PM
Dandelion*
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
the late great planet earth told us that there'd be an increased awareness of christ in the days preceding armagedon including the realization/ belief by jews that christ is the son of god. this read is interesting because it brings the ancient holy grounds to the present. it also makes predictions of events that will lead up to the rapture. its intriguing to see how many of those predictions have come true since the book was written. for example you hear more and more about jews for christ since i first read this book in the late seventies. i know it gives me a shiver up the ole spine.

You can make any story fit into a square box, no matter how whacked. It's the disease of human consciousness.
09-05-03 07:25 AM
Zeeta "Me Name's Jesus, Check It Out, All Reet Im King Of T'Jews, I'd Like To Say Thanks For All T'Gold, Donkeys Frankensence And All That, It Were Proper Bo!"
- Craig David as baby jesus in the school play
09-05-03 12:49 PM
Joey

Someday , the War in Iraq is going to end .

Until then , I promise everyone on this most beloved of boards that I will continue to lay snake and nape .

" I love the smell of Napalm in the Morning Ronnie ..................................smells like ............................VICTORY !!!!!"

Joey Duvall !
09-05-03 12:53 PM
Street Fighting Man Hello Throbby/All,

Please be assured that people like myself who share the "gospel" message act not with a sense of fear, but rather it's with the love of Christ that I share what Jesus did for you. The Bible tells us that people must first hear (in this case read) the Word of God to believe in Christ. Romans 10:14 + 16-17 says 14But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? 16But not everyone welcomes the Good News, for Isaiah the prophet said, "Lord, who has believed our message?" 17Yet faith comes from listening to this message of good news--the Good News about Christ. This is the best "news" (and most caring thing) anyone will ever tell you about in your life, because it is the saving truth of God's love - i.e., the truth that can set you free from death and from bondage to sin.

My responses have been consistent with what the Bible says, and I believe the whole Bible is true (God's inerrant Word). Again, it's not my "opinion" in any way, shape or form, but rather simply what's stated in the bible. I believe this with all my heart because of the Holy Spirit, who lives in me as a believer in Christ, and has opened up my "eyes" (i.e., spiritual understanding of my heart & mind) to understand the Bible. In response to an earlier post, I referenced the Catholic Church's doctrine for the specific purpose of pointing out that it is not in agreement with what the Bible says. For example, the bible never refers to the Pope, confession of sins to a priest, or purgatory. Rather the bible specifically says, Jesus is the head of the church, we are to confess our sins to Christ, and when a person dies they either go to heaven or hell. It's not just the Catholic Church that's in error, but any "religion" (e.g., New Age, Jehovah's Witnesses, Judaism, etc.) that teaches anything not in agreement with the Holy Bible. It's that simple. I invite you to look into the Bible to see for yourself what it says, and ask God to help you understand it's truth.

It's true that God has given us all a free will to believe in what we choose to believe. However, it's important to realize that we will all be held accountable for what we choose to believe in. When you stop to think about it - it actually takes greater faith to believe in the "wisdom" of men (if you want to call it that), than it does in the truth of the living God who created us, sustains us, and loves us dearly.
Because Christ lives,

SFM
P.s., Dandelion - What Jaxx correctly referred to are the "End Times" - i.e., the final days before Jesus Christ returns to earth to reclaim His Kingdom. What the portion of the book "The Late Great Planet Earth" referenced above is happening - i.e., more Jewish people are accepting Jesus Christ as their Messiah than ever before. This is consistent with what the Bible prophesizes. In Matthew 24:4-8, Jesus spoke about signs of the End Times: "Don't let anyone mislead you. 5For many will come in my name, saying, `I am the Messiah.' They will lead many astray. 6And wars will break out near and far, but don't panic. Yes, these things must come, but the end won't follow immediately. 7The nations and kingdoms will proclaim war against each other, and there will be famines and earthquakes in many parts of the world. 8But all this will be only the beginning of the horrors to come."
For more on the "End Time" see: www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=Matthew+24&search=&version=NLT&language=english&optional.x=11&optional.y=6
09-05-03 04:39 PM
throbby SFM, how are you? I'm afraid my continued posting on this thread is rather pointless and quite ridiculous considering your "faith is all I need" mindset. Is it at all possible for you defend your beliefs without leaning on the crutch of scripture? You know my arms are too short to box with God.

Where was God when Hitler was murdering his children by the millions? Where was God when Stalin slaughtered millions more of his children? We have such short memories. There has been so much pain and suffering on this planet, it truly boggles the mind to think about it. What lesson was God teaching the slaughtered? Christians say God loves us more than we will ever know. I wonder. If someone came into your home with the intent to murder your children would you stop them? If God loves each one of us on this planet more than we love our own children why does the suffering continue? Please answer these questions for me.

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and can not; or he can, but does not want to...If he wants to, but can not, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked...If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" Epicurus

09-05-03 04:49 PM
Mother baby
quote:
throbby wrote:
If God loves each one of us on this planet more than we love our own children why does the suffering continue?

One of the best "answers" that I've ever run across for that is in The Brothers Karamazov....especially the chapter called the legend of the Grand Inquisitor. At any rate, a good book if you can slog through it.
09-05-03 05:05 PM
caro
quote:
Mother baby wrote:

One of the best "answers" that I've ever run across for that is in The Brothers Karamazov....especially the chapter called the legend of the Grand Inquisitor. At any rate, a good book if you can slog through it.

sorry to quote you again, MB
but I had to say, the best answer I've ever read is in 'The Master and margarita', by Bulgakov. It's a mindblowing book, whether you consider it as religious or just as a very thoughtful answer to that kind of questions. You've probably heard of it since it was the inspiration for Sympathy for the devil.
09-05-03 05:17 PM
Mother baby No need to be sorry, it kind of goes with the territority
Thanks for the recommendation.
09-06-03 03:55 AM
prism
A good book is The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You To Read
09-06-03 03:59 AM
prism These books changed my life:

Losing Faith in Faith
The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read
The Christ Conspiracy
The Jesus Mysteries
Why The Religious Right is Wrong About the Separation of Church and State

Amazon.com has them
09-06-03 07:42 PM
glencar Prosletyzing comes from both sides. Although I doubt anyone will actually buy the books cited above.
09-06-03 10:33 PM
prism I wouldn't call it proselytizing when scientists tell us that the world is more than 6000 years old and that Adam and Eve did not really exist. That's science.
09-09-03 11:53 AM
Street Fighting Man Hello Throbby/All,

I actually answered a similar question in an earlier post (I realize this is getting pretty long, so I'll cut & paste it here within the ****'s).

**** As for why so many bad things seem to happen in this life, I don't pretend to have all of the answers. I can tell you though that when Adam & Eve first disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden, sin first entered the world. As a result of sin, we have death, decay and all forms of ungodliness. Before that time, the world was perfect in every way, as God blessed mankind with all good things for his enjoyment. Further, the Devil (i.e., the "deceiver") want to rob you of your soul by leading you down the path to destruction. What I can tell you is that both Christians (i.e., those who "belong to Christ") and non-Christians have problems in this life. The difference for Christians is that even in times of trials & tribulations, God will use these circumstances to draw us nearer to himself in faith, and will give us victory in this life. As a Christian, I recognize that this life is short & passing quickly, and this life is simply preparation for eternity. ****

Regarding having a "faith is all you need" mindset, I certainly don't mean to frustrate you by repeatedly responding in that manner. I can assure you though that I'm not "hiding" behind anything. I'm being genuine with you and others on this board and in my everyday life in terms of who I am and how I live as a Christian. I'm a real guy with the same life concerns everyboday else has - i.e., work, relationships, problems in life, likes & dislikes, etc. The difference is that I made a decision to invite Jesus into my life, and trust Him to lead me and guide me each day. I didn't always have this faith, but through a serious of tough circumstances and trials in my life, God worked in my life to show me He is real. Before that time, I was always searching for something (basically everything that the world offers - e.g., money, possessions, women, power, etc.). I lived with anger, rage, jealousy, and every other negative emotion of our human fleshly nature - which if people on this board are honest with themselves, they're living in a similar meaningless & frustrating "existence." I always knew something was missing, because just when I obtained whatever it was I was seeking ("fill in the blank") it only provided momentary satisfaction. Ever wonder why the Stones song (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction has such universal and lasting appeal?

With all sincerity I can tell you that my personal relationship with Jesus Christ is the most important thing in my life. I don't represent any church or organized religion, but rather Jesus Christ, my Lord. God has blessed me with opportunities to share the "Good News" of the gospel in many different countries. Most recently Japan & Cuba. In Cuba, the people are so hungry for the gospel, because they have no hope in this life, and many Cubans are inviting Jesus into their hearts as their Lord & Savior. Because 44 years of "promises" with the Communist government has proved to be disappointing, they have no hope in this life, and are instead turning their focus toward eternity (which all that really matters following this short life). Cubans don't have what we "enjoy" in American, Europe, and many other parts of the world in terms of materialistic wealth - which people tend to put their trust in instead of God. The bible says it harder for a rich man to get into the Kingdom of Heaven then a camel to get through the eye of a needle. This speaks specifically about how putting our "faith" in wealth & possessions blinds us to trusting God.

When I first admitted that I was sinner (the Bible says we all are), and turned to God with a repentant attitude, confessing to God I needed a Jesus in my life as my Savior & Lord, and the Holy Spirit entered my life when I prayed to invite Jesus into my heart. He's given me inner peace, joy, love for others and a true purpose in this life. Further, one day I'll be with Christ in Heaven. God's changing me each day through my relationship with Christ as it says in Colossians 3:1-17:
http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=Colossians+3%3A1-17&search=&version=NIV&language=english&optional.x=0&optional.y=0

I'm convinced that without Christ there is an emptiness that people feel in their hearts. Most people try to ignore it's presence, but it's always there because we were created to have a relationship with the God of creation.

May I ask, what is your church/religious background, if any?

Respectfully,

SFM

P.s. For those who are interested in understanding the overwhelming evidence pointing to the existance of Jesus Christ, I'd recommend reading "More Than A Carpenter."
09-09-03 01:48 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Street Fighting Man wrote:

P.s. For those who are interested in understanding the overwhelming evidence pointing to the existance of Jesus Christ, I'd recommend reading "More Than A Carpenter."

Hey, that's cheating - repeating yourself. Must I RE-post some golden Ganesh goodies in the interest of equal time?I've heard that lovely refrain of "everyone's GUILTY and everyone must PAY for something that happened thousands of years before they were born." That's peachy. And we can be forgiven for these crimes we didn't commit (which wasn't murder or rape, but the unauthorized hunger for knowledge) ONLY by giving up all free will. Your fairy-tale, like most systems of control, is built around guilt and blame and fear and recriminations.

Oh, but anyway, my question is about the title of the book you recommended. Exactly WHERE in the bible does it mention that Jesus was a carpenter?

And while we're at it, you never explained how the Snake Handlers were misinterpreting the gospel. Is it just that sometimes the bible is literal and sometimes it's just kidding?

I don't think too many people doubt the existence of Jesus. It's his super-powers that some of us have a hard time swallowing.

Go-go Ganesh!

FPM
09-09-03 04:02 PM
icydanger super powers and Ganeshà

Peter Pan in true democracy
flying off the Rocks

quote:
What did I do?

gee you are you
quote:
What did I do?

Dionysus has to pay his boat first

Street fighting, man
Elected? Democracy?I don’t believe Christians are the only ones who have a justified faith

Think of Noah, Abraham, Moses, Sidddhaàrtà, Jesus, Mohammad, many many many
Usually tales have origins, sources all over the planet
great masters, gurus,
Vishnu,,,,,Lao-Tseu, depends where you are born,
then on circumstances

Issa, Jesus, recognized the life of other prophets, and he was a martyr

Not all the culture’s on the earth are Christians.
You are a sample.
Not a representation of the majority

The towel people head, say we all are issue from one All , and recognize Jesus, Issa as a prophet( they have many pages about Jesus, Marie and Joseph, the carpenter .
Buddhist Yahwists/ Elohists , Hindus, have their viewpoint

You cant say this one is better then this one,
(its because we believe what we think is better and impose it on others that the problems starts)

-then people get killed

Who is paying for our sins? As so many posts point out,
so many so many so many suffer
democracy, dictature regime federation republic and so on
Revolutions
Invasions
and the story just goes on and on

Do we kill with democracy? Our fairy tale?
Democracy, old story
Federations,,,, politics following religion

I believe in Peter Pan )°(
(and i admire Gandhi as politician)

Heavy thread here

09-09-03 05:02 PM
Street Fighting Man Hi FPM/All,
Sorry, don't mean to repeat, and just trying to make it easier for folks to see previous answers.

True Christianity (i.e., saving faith in Jesus alone) is not built on a spirit of fear or guilt, but rather around the love of Jesus Christ and what he did for you by dying on the cross of Calvary. The bible says we're all sinners based on the human, fleshly nature that we're born with. I see it in my 2 year old nephew, who is jealous of his 9 month old brother. No one taught him to act with jealousy, he instinctively knew it. The bible says "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 6:23. The first step in being forgiven of our sins is to personally admit that we have sin in our lives. The bible goes on to say that there is a price for sin, but also that through his great love for us provided a payment for our sins that allows us to overcome spiritual death. Romans 3:23 says" "For the wages (i.e., price) of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ." The road to hell passes directly through the cross of Christ!

BTW, here's a biblical reference to Jesus being a carpenter by trade: http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=Matthew+13%3A53-58&search=&version=NIV&language=english&optional.x=20&optional.y=11

The bible is literal, but when Jesus preached publicly he spoke in parables - i.e., spiritual truths communicated via human stories (e.g., The Prodigal Son). Specific to the "snake" references from Mark 16:18, Jesus was commissioning his disciples to go out and preach the gospel. In doing so, Jesus (who is God) bestowed upon them special supernatural abilities (e.g., drive out demons, protection from snakes, etc.) through the power of the Holy Spirit. Again, it's key that you look at the verse within it's context (Mark 16:14-20). Looking a "isolated" verses does not convey the true (i.e., intended meaning). Also, when you read the bible pray to God to help you understand it.

The Bible documents the life of Jesus, who was God "incarnate" (i.e., God became a man and dwelt among us). Specifically, the 1st four books of the New Testament recount his life in detail (The "Gospels"). These books were written by four of the men who lived with Jesus and were his disciples. Jesus taught them, and they traveled with Him as He ministered to the people during the three years of Jesus public ministry. These men witnessed Jesus life, ministry, miracles and his death & resurrection from the dead first hand and took great care to document it. At the time these books were written, others were also alive who witnessed Jesus life. These other people could have easily contested any inaccuracies in the books, but that never happened because the Bible is God's word and is the truth. In fact, the Bible has never been disproven in any way. The Bible has consistently been proven to be true (e.g., archeological finds, accuracy vs. historical records, etc.). It was written by 36 different men over a period of several hundred years through the inspiration of God. The Bible never contradicts itself. Any claims or attacks against the Bible (i.e., scientific or otherwise) have simply been opinions of men, and have been repeatedly shown to be false. Today's Bible translations have remained accurate vs. it's original writings (i.e., verified by the "Dead Sea" scrolls which were discovered in a cave in the early 1900's). The Bible has changed more lives that any other book because it is God's living truth.

It takes more "faith" to trust in man's religions than it does in God's saving grace through Jesus.

Respectfully,

SFM
09-09-03 05:48 PM
icydanger SFM

yes, jesus is a fact
from the dead sea scrolls many religions are originated
(the monks/scribes/priests who wrote them were extremly strict, and were not,
at that time, christians. as Jesus came much
later
09-09-03 10:33 PM
prism You're right. The dead sea scrolls were written before the New Testament, and historians say they were influenced by Buddhist missionaries. Many historians say that the story of Christ is based on the story of Buddha, which was written about 600 BC.
09-10-03 11:11 AM
Street Fighting Man Hello Icydanger - Prism/All,

A couple of key points of clarification to your posts. The Bible is made up of both the Old and the New Testaments.

The Old Testament speaks of God's Creation of the heavens & the earth (i.e., Moses wrote the book of Genesis 1450-1410 B.C.), the establishment of the laws of God (i.e., 10 Commandments) against which sin is judged, and the foretelling of the coming of a Savior (Isaiah prophesized in about 700 B.C the coming of a Savior). Isaiah 53 details how Jesus would be pay the price for our sins through the sacrifice of His life: http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=Isaiah+53&search=&version=NIV&language=english&optional.x=0&optional.y=0

While the Old Testament prophesized the coming of a Messiah, the New Testament was the fulfillment of that promise - i.e., Jesus came to earth as a man, lived for 33 years (including 3 years of active ministry recorded in the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John) and died on the cross & rose again to conqueror death. God sent his beloved Son, Jesus Christ to offer us eternal life: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16.

It's also important to point out that no other "Ancient" manuscript (i.e., book) can be or has been substantiated for it's accuracy like the Bible. Time & time again the Bible's accuracy is supported by other ancient writings of the time. Further, archeology continues to support it with archeological findings (i.e., Dead Sea Scrolls, Cities of Sodom & Gomorrah, etc.). The Dead Sea Scrolls were copies of scriptures of the Bible confirming the accuracy of the Bible. As for science, although many "theories" disputing the Bible have arisen over the centuries, they've consistently been proven to be false (i.e., incorrect). Scientific study & research rests on the premise that you can recreate experiences in a laboratory. How can you recreate "Creation" when you barely have scratched the surfaces in understanding it (e.g., the complexity of the human mind, the existence of a sole, etc.). God's Creation is wonderfully complex and beautiful, and so clearly speaks to the very existence of God.

While many religions (i.e., false religions of man) may have originated from the Bible (e.g., Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, etc.), the bible is the truth of God. In the Bible, God says you shall put no other God's before Me, nor any idols. People who follow these false religions will one day face God and be held accountable for their non-belief - that's what the Bible tells us very clearly.

If you really study the bible for yourself (asking God to help you understand while you read it), you will see the foolishness of man's "wisdom" (i.e., false religions, philosophies, opinions, etc.). Seek the Lord Jesus and you shall find Him.

Respectfully,

SFM
09-10-03 12:26 PM
icydanger Street fighting REACTION

gee you are you
quote:
What did I do?

A couple of key points of clarification to your posts. ????

The Bible is made up of both the Old and the New Testaments. ----

Old testament being The Torah,

Moses did not write himself, he inspired the five first books of the Bible: and--- the Law tables,,,,
never yet found:

The rest is interpretation from various scribes, some known, some unknown.
Ezzechiel,,,, Esdras, Esaïe as I mentioned above,
In fact none knows exactly under which pharaoh Moses lived,,,, arguments going strong. so you cannot date him

Furthermore, many of those texts (papyris) have not yet been translated. (difficulties to actually get the authorizations and not many specialists of Paleo-Hebrew, or Arameean )

Noone disputes the Bible, what is disputed is----
how, when and where the facts happened.
(talking about Sodom, Jericho, Mediggo, Yisreel, and so on

I will not argue about the truth, as each life carries their own.

quote:
People who follow these false religions will one day face God and be held accountable for their non-belief - that's what the Bible tells us very clearly.

??????

you condemn two thirds of the planet 2/3 !
Or is that your Christian viewpoint?
The Tribe Beni Israel were the first to transgress those “new” laws

And now,
Who is idolizing who??????

This comes to say: God is on my beliefside, not on your beliefside,,,, leading further to: I can kill your beliefs in the name of an abstract concept

Don’t you think different cultures needed different adaptations? China, Persia, Egypt, Greece, India, Rome, ….
Laws had to be adapted to the environment of tribe.

What is false? Who is wrong, who is right?
Even studying the scriptures one is not always sure, mistakes in interpretations are common.

Religion is like a wheel and faith is in the centre.

09-10-03 01:42 PM
Street Fighting Man Hello Icydanger/All,

Actually, you're right - God is the author of the Bible. The Lord through His Holy Spirit divinely inspired different men, including Moses, to record the Bible. God used Moses to "author" the 1st five books of the Bible (aka, "The Torah"): Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

For many generations the tablets containing the Ten Commandments were kept in the "Holy of Holies" within the "Ark of the Covenant" inside the Temple in Israel before it was destroyed. I've never heard that the actual tablets were found through archeological digs, but that doesn't in any way shape or form disprove them, nor does it remove the requirement each human has to abide by them in their lives. As the 10 Commandments did when God first provided them, they still act as a standard for identifying sin in a persons life.

Also, through the Genealogies of the Bible, Biblical scholars are able to trace with confidence the Bible's timeline - including Jesus' life, death & resurrection. Your correct regarding "arguments going strong" concerning "Scientific" attempts to "date" the Bible. Of course they'll never be in agreement, because they're looking everywhere but where the truth is actually contained (i.e., The Bible). The Bible specifically states that "secular" scientists (i.e., who do not trust Christ as their Lord & Savior) can't understand the truth: "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." : 1 Corinthians 1:17-19

And yes, I believe based on what the Bible says that all men (and women) need Jesus in their life. It matters not what nation, race, sex, background, etc. a person is. In Matthew 28:19-20 - Jesus said, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."
Please be clear, by sharing from the Bible, I am not condemning the whole world (who am I, as a mere human). But rather, it's how men conduct their lives vs. the truth of God's Word in the Bible that condemns men before God (or alternatively, sets them "free" from death if they trust Christ). All of us will be individually accountable before God for what we put our trust in for eternity.

Regarding your comment: "Even studying the scriptures one is not always sure, mistakes in interpretations are common." The Bible says without the Holy Spirit of God in a person's heart, we can't even hope to correctly interpret or understand God's word (which is why I keep urging people on this board to pray to God to ask for His help in understanding the Bible). "The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Corinthians 2:14

All that being said, I know that I can't convince anyone through "debates" that Christianity is the way, but rather I trust in the power of the Holy Spirit to open hearts, and change lives. I'm simply being faithful to share the truth of the Bible - out of nothing more than true gratefullness for how through His great love for me, Jesus has saved me, and changed my life.
Respectfully,

SFM
09-10-03 07:58 PM
throbby Yes, here we are. In the same ship on the same sea.
09-10-03 08:09 PM
icydanger SFM

I think every living being has a part of God /ntr nature, good /bad in his/her heart
also....
*And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain

its good your life was changed if its positive

translating scriptures?,... concentration ,discipline and consciousness are more then all needed

yes, the swamp of music again........lol

09-11-03 04:12 PM
Street Fighting Man Hi Icydanger/All,

To be specific, mankind was created in God's image, with the heart of God. However, due to our sinful nature, the Bible describes our hearts as "desperately wicked." God also created nature, and because of this men are without excuse for not personally knowing Him - "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools." Romans 1:20-22

"Sympathy For The Devil" by the Stones it is lyrically incorrect since Jesus never had a moment of doubt and shame." Rather Jesus was filled sorrow because He knew & understood what God was asking of Him to bear the burden of mankind's sin in His body on the Cross, and yet He still sought that the Father God's will be done. In the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus said: "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death..."My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." Matthew 26:36-38.

Thanks - what's so incredibly awesome is that a personal relationship with Jesus can positively change anyone's life. The same Holy Spirit that raised Christ from the grave lives in the hearts of Christians. It's the power of the God's Holy Spirit that changes lives. It's very real, and happens as a result of the Spirit of God working in us and purifying us. It's a very beautiful thing.

Lastly, consistent with what the Bible says, apart from God's Holy Spirit the spiritually unregenerate man cannot hope to truly understand the bible. That's what the scriptures I shared above say. You actually acknowleged that by saying "Even studying the scriptures one is not always sure, mistakes in interpretations are common."

Respectfully,

SFM

P.s., Throbby - I hope you saw my response to your earlier post above which addressed your questions, etc.
09-11-03 06:51 PM
icydanger Sympathy
it is an allusion to the temptation of Lucifer

Humility…. One of Jesus teachings,
Forgiveness seeing the situation today;
would he not of occasionally doubted?

SFM
please don’t send the 2/3 of the planet who don’t know about Jesus in the flames of hell,
even if you are ----tempted

09-12-03 12:46 PM
Street Fighting Man Hi Icydanger,

If that's what the Stones "SFTD" song was referring to it's still lyrically incorrect. When Satan tempted Jesus in the desert, Jesus rebuked the Devil with scripture (Luke 4:12), "Jesus answered, "It says: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test." Luke 4:1-13 recounts Jesus encounter with the Devil: http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?language=english&version=NIV&passage=Luke+4%3A1-13&x=17&y=8

Yes, Jesus is humble - He humbled Himself as God to the point of becoming a man and dieing on the cross for mankind's sins. Jesus is also forgiving - His death on the cross was to enable forgiveness of man for their sins (past, present & future). Why would Jesus ever have any reason to doubt? Jesus is God, and as such knows all things - including the fact that in the end Jesus will triumph over the powers of darkness and rule triumphantly with his followers in a new heaven and earth. Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD , "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

As for the "2/3 of the planet" comment, as I shared in my previous post, Romans 1:20-22 clearly says men are without excuse before God for not hearing about him because the awesomeness of nature testifies to God. It's an individual's sins which send them to hell (i.e., God can't allow sin into heaven).

Sure, I suffer temptations in my life just like anyone else (until the day I no longer live on this earth) due to the fleshly nature which I was born with, the world's temptations, and of the work of the Devil & his demons. However, because I am a child of God, I have the Holy Spirit of God living in me, who helps me to overcome sin, and have victory over it. I am not a slave to sin. Make no mistake about it, while sin may be pleasurable to people at first, after awhile they begin to feel trapped and bound by it. Feelings of guilt, frustration, and a sense of hopelessness dominate those without the Holy Spirit to "free" them from bondage.

Remember, the Devil wants to destroy you. 1 Peter 5:8 says, "Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour."

Icydanger - Get a bible. Read it for yourself. Pray that God will open your heart to His truth. Instead of "trusting" in the shaky philosophies of men, twisted religious notions, cleaver quotes, your personal opinions, etc. - look to God's promises to give you a hope and a future. He's there for you.

Respectfully,

SFM
09-12-03 01:15 PM
stonedinaustralia aah... sfm you have returned - i've been thinking of you

Spooky....................

what do you make of 911 by the divinations of your book that only speaks the truth...an eye for an eye or do you turn the other cheek...and so the bible doesn't contradict itself you say...

my advice to you - for what it's worth - ditch the bible for awhile (and anything post king james is just a piece of shit) and read some shakespeare or listen to some stones boot or smoke some stuff or get a job (sha na na na) or get another job to supplement your income

but... stay tuned to ROCKS OFF and i'll get it together to give you the low-down on st.augustine (or is that augusta) wtf %%%%%%%%% you
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7