ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From Russia with love
Thanks Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger to appear in "guru" documentary Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
09-03-03 01:24 PM
throbby FPM C10 good point. I'm aware of the history and beliefs in your description above. I don't follow the Rastafarian belief system in my own life, nor was I promoting them as the pathway one should follow. What made me bring up the Bob Marley quote was reading SFM's post and thinking "preacherman", at that point "Get Up Stand Up" started playing in my head, hence the line directed to the "preacherman". One does not need dreadlocks, ganja, or a belief that a living man was God to see the truth in those words. Like most things in life I pick and choose the bits that work for me and my experiences.
09-03-03 02:05 PM
FPM C10
quote:
throbby wrote:
Like most things in life I pick and choose the bits that work for me and my experiences.

Uh oh! I sense another SFM sermon coming on, because THAT (making up your own mind/rules/religion) is a big NO NO among his ilk. Now, it's not HIM saying it, mind you, it's GAWD.

One of the many sects of his cult - the Seventh Day Adventists - here in my hometown have a community billboard in front of their church. They broadcast their beliefs on it. For instance, when the local teacher's union went on strike, they posted "SATAN LOVES THE TEACHERS UNION". Good love-thy-neighbor stuff like that. Their most common messages, however, have to do with the fact that THEY think sabbath is SATURDAY and all of the churches and churchgoers who think sabbath is SUNDAY are going straight to hell for their miscalculation.

Me, I get a little antsy thinking about a god who is THAT picky. And vengeful. Plus the thought that Ghandi would definitely NOT get into that particular heaven, but Hitler (who considered himself a good Catholic and therefore in all likelihood DID repent at the last moment)quite possibly COULD... hey, whatever. Everyone has their own beliefs. George Bush thinks he's a good christian yet has no problem executing more prisoners than any other governor in American history and starting a war which continues to kill his own countrymen every day - so I guess his version of christianity only has NINE commandments.

I am building my own religion from spare parts of others. From Rastafarianism, I am jettisoning that Haile Selassie nonsense and just keeping the ganga. I guess I could probably appropriate "Thou Shalt Not Kill" since the christians aren't using it. So far, my mascot is an elephant-headed god with dreadlocks holding a snake in one hand and a tablet with The One Commandment carved on it in the other.

Anyone wanna join?

09-03-03 02:20 PM
caro I've been had !
Anyone wanna trade a never opened tube of red santal paste for 5 tubes of wasabi?
09-03-03 03:02 PM
throbby hmm...satan loves the teachers union. Now that's a unique twist on things.

I'll join the new religion FPM. The description of the holy mascot sounds quite interesting. One question though on the ganja. Will we be allowed to roll joints on the sabbath or must we roll them all prior to the holy day?
09-03-03 03:09 PM
nankerphelge I would too, but I get the whole Ganesh/Shiva/Durga thing all mixed up.

It's like rock, paper, scissors, isn't it!

Where's that talent Richard Gere when you need him?

09-03-03 03:44 PM
Joey " How about you, Joey - do people tell you how much you look like Donnie Rumsfeld "

No , but Fee Waybill was born in Nebraska .

www.nebrocks.org

Jercee !

09-03-03 04:31 PM
nankerphelge AMSTERDAM, Netherlands — Around 2,000 baboon noses were found in an abandoned suitcase at Amsterdam airport after they started to stink, officials said Wednesday.

The noses were en route from Lagos, Nigeria (search), to the United States, apparently intended for an immigrant market.

Baboons (search) are protected under international law. Their noses are used in traditional medicine in parts of Asia and Africa.

Dutch customs police discovered the suitcase at a baggage claim last week. They turned the case over to Agriculture Ministry's Inspection Service, which said it had several leads that may help it track down the culprits.

"We assume these animals were killed, and we have to prevent something like this from happening again," spokesman Louis Steens said. He said the noses had been destroyed.
09-03-03 04:42 PM
Joey Nanky ............................

Two Words :

Howard Carter
09-03-03 05:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot Count me in Flea.

Can there be a special lesbian part of the worship services? Not that it really has anything to do with religion...I just like watching chicks make out.
09-03-03 05:54 PM
Joey " I just like watching chicks make out. "

I hear ya my Brother .....................

At the Husker games this year , two members of the " Scarlets " ( the Husker female yell squad that wears tight black spandex slacks and tight black halters with breasts heaving as they dance on the sidelines ) are constantly making out in front of the opposing team bench during the course of the game .

Rumor has it that those two are going to ask Joe Pa if he wants a threesome .

" We pull no punches this year Ronnie "

Jercee Joe and the Dixie Dancekins !
09-03-03 06:01 PM
steel driving hammer Corn cobs are ribbed though right?
09-03-03 07:10 PM
Street Fighting Man Hello FPM C10/All,

I just wanted to take a moment to clarify that Seventh Day Adventists are not Christians because they don't put their faith in Jesus Christ alone. Christianity also is not about "good works," which the Catholic Church says are necessary (it's one of the Devil's greatest lies) and as such is a false religion as well. The bible says you can't earn your way into heaven in Ephesians 2:8-9: "For it is by grace you are saved by faith, and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God not works, least any man should boast." Unfortunately, the word "Christian" is so diluted in our world today that almost everybody claims to a be a Christian. The Bible tells us the "road" to salvation is narrow and few will find it. Anyone who (or any religion that professes otherwise) does not trust in Jesus Christ alone for their salvation is not a true Christian according to the Bible. Remember, it's all about having a personal relationship with God through his Son, Jesus Christ's grace.

With great assurance I place my faith in what God our Creator has stated in his Word. Why would I place any value in meer human wisdom? Don't be deceived, only the Word of God is true and will last forever.

As for people who make up their own religion, the Bible says in Phillipians 2:10-11 "...at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. One day when we die, all people will believe in Jesus Christ. For many, it will be too late to trust Him.

Have you thought about where you will spend eternity? It's worth considering.

Respectfully,

SFM
09-03-03 07:50 PM
gypsy Joey, that's just gross. Nobody wants to see two big heaving Nebraska chicks making out...or do they?

Yeah, SS, I thought of you when I looked at the stained glass...then I felt dirty and bad...and got down on both knees while humming 'Jumping Jack Flash.'
09-03-03 08:06 PM
Sir Stonesalot That's my girl.

Joey...you keep yappin' about this whoppin' that the Lions are gonna take on the 13th. Will it be anything like the 30 point drubbing that you ALREADY got by Penn State last year?

At one point during that game...I almost felt sorry for Nebraska. Almost.

But then I decided that you bragadocious butt nuggets deserved to have your faces rubbed in the mud for all those years of mindless crowing that you Huskerfuckers did.

And it was a good night.

Maybe you'll get revenge...maybe you won't.

You see some of us see no point in puffing our chests out and talking smack. We know we are good, and as such, we need not proclaim it. Actions speak louder than words my friend. Please keep yappin'.

Be it known, I want the Huskers to win again this weekend. We want your heads all swole up when we burst your bubble again.
09-03-03 08:14 PM
gypsy Easy, SS! Think about it...they live in Nebraska...what the fuck else do they have going for them? Let them have their football.
09-03-03 10:09 PM
FPM C10 One Sunday in 1910, in a small Tennessee church, George W. Hensley or "Little George," the founder of modern day snake handling, decided that since Pentecostals believe in exorcisms or the driving out of demons, speaking in tongues, and laying hands on the sick, why not believe in taking up serpents? So, he closed his sermon on that topic that Sunday by taking a large rattlesnake out of a box with his bare hands. He held it for a few minutes and then ordered the congregation to handle it or else they were "doomed to eternal hell" . So, to avoid this dreadful punishment, the members would take turns coming to the front of the church to handle the snakes.

Hensley's fame for handling snakes spread throughout the Appalachian region and soon caught the attention of A. J. Tomlinson, the General Overseer of the Church of God. He ordained Hensley into the Church of God denomination. For a decade, Hensley traveled around Appalachia preaching, handling snakes, and drinking poison.

At first, most of the snakes were brought to the church by unbelievers looking for entertainment. At one early church service, a stranger threw a box full of cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, and copperheads onto the floor while Hensley was preaching. The congregation ran out of the building, but Hensley simply picked up the snakes and put them back into the box.

In the beginning of the movement, people that were bitten were shunned. The person was considered to be "in sin" or lacking sufficient faith. One of the most common reasons for being bitten was that the handler did not have the annointing--he was not being led by God to carry out his work or business. It was commonly believed--and in many places still is--that snakes should be handled only when a believer is completely under the power of the Holy Spirit, an experience marked by speaking in tongues and physical frenzy.

By the 1940's the movement had captured both the attention of the national media and the local lawmakers, and the practice of snake handling was outlawed. However, Hensley and his followers continued to ignore man's law and obey God's law. Because they continuously broke the law, they were repeatedly arrested for endangering the lives of others, but they were never severely punished under the law. Hensley himself preached that lawmakers were being led by the devil to outlaw snake handling. "Now it's handlin' serpent that's again' the law, but after a while it'll be against the law to talk in tongues, and then they'll go after the Bible itself," he preached.

Hensley was bitten many times and refused medical treatment each time. He taught his congregation to have faith that God would heal them and not to rely on the imperfection of unrighteous doctors. He was obviously misled, because on July 24, 1955 the radical founder of the movement died from untreated snake bite wounds.

Today about 2,500 people around the country--but mainly in the south--practice snake handling. The churches are all marked by strict literal interpretations of the Bible. Jewelry is forbidden on anyone, including wedding rings and watches. Women may not cut their hair. Members greet each other with a "holy kiss".

Some beliefs have changed over the years. Today most followers believe that even the devout will be bitten occasionally. Believers say God allows snake bites to punish sins in daily life, to prove the snakes have not been tampered with and are still quite deadly, to try the faith of the victim and other worshipers, and to show God's healing power.

"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover" (Mark 16:18).
09-04-03 12:29 PM
Street Fighting Man I thought you might like to see the Bible verse you quoted (Mark 16:18) in it's proper context (i.e., what the whole related passage of scripture intends to communicate). In a "nutshell" - following His death on the cross of Calvary, Jesus had just been resurrected from the grave, and had appeared to His disciples (i.e., followers of Christ); Jesus "commissioned" His disciples to reach the unsaved world with the gospel ("Good News") message, and He would soon ascend to be with God the Father in heaven.

14"Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen. 15He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." 19After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God. 20Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it."

I wish you all the best. Lord willing, hopefully something that you've read concerning God's truth one day you'll remember, and God will use to open up your eyes to His truth. The bible says that when faithfully procalimed the Word of God will not return void on those who hear it.

Because Christ lives,

SFM
09-04-03 12:50 PM
Joey " Joey, that's just gross. Nobody wants to see two big heaving Nebraska chicks making out...or do they? "

Gyps. , Their asses are so tight that you can bounce quarters off of them ..........................In fact , it is part of the Halftime Entertainment !

{ CA - RACK }

Harry : " It looks like !!!!!!.............. It could be !!!!!! ........................It IS !!!!!!! Another home run by the Jercee . Man Steve , our young Jercee Joe has been in a slump recently but I really do believe that this is the beginning of ................Ah , ........... Steve , have you even heard a Go##amn word that I have said ????? "

Steve : " Pipe down will ya Harry ! I got the scopes on Steelie's Apartment bedroom window and it looks like he has got a new girlfriend in there ----- Holy Sh## !! It is none other than Gypsy herself . Wait , there is another woman coming around the backside and is getting on top of Hammer. -- Christ -- That's that C-10er wife again . Man , Steelie is in Heaven right now THAT's for sure . "

Harry : " Holy Cow !!!! My heart can't take all of this -- where's me Nitroglycerin and Heminevrin tablets ? " Steve , Help Me !!!!!!!!! .............Steve ?!?!?!?! "

Steve : " God I wish I was a Loofah ! "

Jercee !

Jersee Joe !
09-04-03 01:55 PM
throbby "There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the dark ages" Ruth Hurmence Green

"The man who is always worrying about wether or not his soul would be damned generally has a soul that isn't worth a damn." Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

"I prayed for freedom for twenty years, but received no answer until I prayed with my legs." Frederick Douglass

"I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition [Christianity] one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded upon fables and mythologies." Thomas Jefferson

"The most heinous and the most cruel crimes of which history has record have been committed under the cover of religion or equally noble motives." Mohandas Gandhi

"Of course, say the true believers, religion rests on faith, not intellect. But if all you need to do to prove I am wrong is to have faith that you are right, then no discussion is possible" Philip D. Harvey

"I do not support religion because it demands that we give up our most important human asset, the ability to question." Vladimir Pozner

" Through fervent prayer I miraculously grew my teeth back" Keith Richards (loose paraphrase)

C'mon SFM, free your mind, break free from the herd!

09-04-03 01:58 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Street Fighting Man wrote:
I thought you might like to see the Bible verse you quoted (Mark 16:18) in it's proper context...
15He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." ...
SFM

I can't see where I - or the Snake Handlers - took anything out of context. Are you saying the Snake Handlers shouldn't take this stuff seriously? That it's just a - oooh, I don't know - FAIRY TALE? I would say that they have more strength in their convictions than your lot (isn't your cult the one that puts Chick Publication tracts in truckstops?). The book doesn't contradict itself, you said - so why aren't YOU taking up serpents and drinking strychnine?

Personally, I am leaning more toward those Aztec Mind Control religions, with the human sacrifices and tearing still-beating hearts out of chests and whatnot. Just more aesthetically pleasing (plumed serpents RULE) than your whole S&M crucifixion schtick.

This whole thing of you preaching on a Stones board IS kinda funny, but in a day and age when the world's three largest and most murderous fairy tales are trying hard to bring the evil ol' world to a fiery end in the Middle East, it just ain't funny enough. They just executed that preacher who carried out the Word of Gawd by murdering a doctor, and who expects to be rewarded in Heaven for his deeds - was he one of yours?

09-04-03 02:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh man Throbby...all those people you quoted are isolated in the eternal darkness of hell.

Those people are not as pure as our dear SFM.

They are the damned.
09-04-03 02:48 PM
Jaxx FPM: "This whole thing of you preaching on a Stones board IS kinda funny, but in a day and age when the world's three largest and most murderous fairy tales are trying hard to bring the evil ol' world to a fiery end in the Middle East, it just ain't funny enough. They just executed that preacher who carried out the Word of Gawd by murdering a doctor, and who expects to be rewarded in Heaven for his deeds - was he one of yours?"

there's a mindblowing dose of reality. generally speaking, religion can be fairly harmless and i would even venture to say helpful. i think there's folks that like a church community in their lives for worship, validation of that worship and for a sense of belonging. its the radicals that "dirty" the holy water. look historically at the extremes that these radicals have taken (in the name of their god...)to make their point (ie setting themselves on fire, suicide bombers, bombing or sniping (take your pick) abortion clinics.) in that regard, i think that religion can be like an addictive drug. adrenaline and emotions run high and thatin in itself creates an explosive situation.

probably a good argument for why wars start or murder is committed in the name of one's god or allah. another one of life's oxymorons. who are we mere mortals to judge another's beliefs or to believe that the holy book one holds most dear is "the one"? thats presumptuous and judgemental, imo. i think that FPMs fairy tales make a great point in that regard.

everyone's life is full of miracles and miseries. is it divine intervention or karma? is there a difference? that said, maybe the meaning of life and the path to salvation, heaven,nirvana, allah, self actualization (choose yours) is tolerance and acceptance. good acts may breed miracles, while evil acts breed misery.

i admire SFM. he is a good soldier for christ. carry on and peace be with you! the late great planet earth told us that there'd be an increased awareness of christ in the days preceding armagedon including the realization/ belief by jews that christ is the son of god. this read is interesting because it brings the ancient holy grounds to the present. it also makes predictions of events that will lead up to the rapture. its intriguing to see how many of those predictions have come true since the book was written. for example you hear more and more about jews for christ since i first read this book in the late seventies. i know it gives me a shiver up the ole spine.

as far as preaching on a stones board? LOL. this thread has taken on a bigger life than i anticipated. but you got to admit-- at least its on topic.
09-04-03 05:43 PM
glencar He shoots, he scores!!!
09-04-03 06:07 PM
Mother baby
quote:
glencar wrote:
He shoots, he scores!!!

Oh well. Bit of a waste of time, isn't it?

09-04-03 06:11 PM
glencar Tis. I've seen countless God is/God isn't debates over 6 1/2 years on line. It's the same arguments over & over. If you believe fine. If you don't, maybe one day you will. It matters a little to me but not enough to spend too much time on the actual arguments at this point.
09-04-03 06:32 PM
caro
quote:
Mother baby wrote:

Muderous fairy tales? I'd be willing to bet that two fairy tales, one called Russian Communism and one called Mao's Little red book killed off a whole lot more christians than they ever killed. Wasn't it the Roman's who first killed off the christians anyway? maybe in your view the world would have been alot better off had they succeded. That way we could cut to the chase and worship the Emperor again.

As far as I remember, it wasn't exactly the christians who caused the fall of the roman empire..and I think they never had so much of a problem with kings, emperors, dictators, whatever.
By the way, did Mao kill any christians?

Anyway, what I meant to say is that it's kind of useless to try and defend one religion or belief by saying the other belief/religion killed more people.
I mean, it would be easier and more honest, then, to say there's plenty of christians who really do care about their neighbour, never killed anyone and manage to love both their god and their own life.
I do get your point about political fanaticisms. But at least, they usually don't last as long as a religion.

oops, you deleted your post? I don't like to argue with myself!!

[Edited by caro]
09-04-03 06:39 PM
glencar But people don't care to admit the good points about religions/religious people. It's much easier to make wisecracks about pedophile priests than it is to express admiration for all the Church's charitable works. And maybe religions outlast ideologies for a REASON. And as for Mao & the Christians, he suppressed the Church. I'm not sure how many were killed because of religion, though. Stalin had no problem killing 20 million. I don't believe he was religious.
09-04-03 07:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah there are good charitable works done by churches. Mike Tyson has done good charitable works too. Big deal.

I'm not railing against Christianity...I'm railing against ALL organized religion. I can't even fathom the billions upon billions of dead because of organized religion. Islam, Christianity, Judism, Hindus, Pagans...it matters not. They are all blood thirsty.

And I'm sure that Christianity has no corner on the market when it comes to hypocrites.

Hey more power to SFM. I'm glad that he found something that works for him. Where I have a problem is when people start telling me what I MUST believe. I don't have to believe shit. It's my soul to do with as I see fit. If I want to damn myself to hell for endulging in life's many pleasures...that is MY decision to make. I don't need people like SFM yappin' at me about it. You don't see me trying to stuff a snarling Les Paul down people's throats.

I save lives for a living. That is good enough for me. If it ain't good enough for God...oh well. When they lower me into the cold ground, it will be after a life well lived. Whatever comes next I'll take like a man.
09-04-03 07:27 PM
Mother baby
quote:
caro wrote:
oops, you deleted your post? I don't like to argue with myself!!

Yeah I did delete it. Hence my comment about "a waste of time". Sorry about that. In fact I had deleted some others as well on this same thread but BEFORE I got quoted... LOL. I actually had every intention of not posting on it again but...well...I couldn't resist. I do try NOT to delete if it messes with another poster/post. But.....
I write ads for a living and I usually revise a million times. The delete button just seems to be alot easier than editing. Apart from all my other faults I'm a lazy bastard too LOL.
09-04-03 07:45 PM
caro lol, no problem..
Actually, I considered deleting my post too, just for the pleasure of making glencar answer to nothing two times in a row. But then again, that would have been cheap.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7