ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From Russia with love
Thanks Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger to appear in "guru" documentary Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
08-28-03 02:06 PM
Mother baby [quote]Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>I'm not judging anyone. I was just stating a fact.<

A fact? How do you know they're all hypocrites?

>All the churches that I've ever tried out were filled with people that I despised.<

LOL, well if I despised people I certainly wouldn't be going to their church.

>They would all be trying to get me to "mend" my ways,<

Well.....so? Maybe they were trying to do you a favor. Mend Thy Sir Stonesalot, Mend Thy ways.

> At one church, they had a study on the book of Ruth...but in reality it was just an excuse to drink wine.<
Oh? Ruth is actually quite a nice story. Happy ending and all. Also if I'm not mistaken she is only one of four women mentioned in Christ's geneologies.

>At a different church, they went through THREE pastors in 2 years...because they kept having affairs with married congregation members.<

Is this behavior the norm?

>So when I say hypocrite...THAT is the kind of behavior that I am talking about.>

Yeah I know. I'm just not sure if it's all that pervasive.
08-28-03 02:49 PM
Street Fighting Man Sir Stonesalot & All,

Just a few additional points to share as encouragement:

Regarding churches wanting to change how you look............Man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart.

While people will inevitably fail us (i.e., disappoint us somehow, not meet our expectations, etc.)....Jesus Christ loves us and will never forsake us.

While it's true that God's wrath has been demonstrated over the ages against those who disobey Him........While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us on the cross to pay for our sins. He loves us and offers us eternal life and offers us a life of purpose & meaning right now.

For those who do not trust in Christ's saving grace personally........hell is described in the bible as a place of total darkness, separation and eternal punishment. - i.e., people don't keep company with anyone else in hell. It's a terrible lie of the Devil that people in hell will be together (e.g., party together). God desires that no one will go to hell, but since God's given us a free will, it's our choice where we spend eternity.

Regarding the truth of bible, whether a person chooses to accept it as factual or not (e.g., accept some things, reject others) - it is God's truth and as such is the truth. The bible clearly says we'll all be personally held accountable to whether we lived lives that demonstrated we accepted and loved God's truth. God says that there is only one way to heaven - i.e., no man (or woman) will inherit the kingdom of heaven by following other religions.

While going to church is not a "prerequisite" for being a Christian, bible teaching and fellowship with other Christians is a way that God has provided to encourage us in our relationship with God. There are sincere Christians who desire to follow God, and who congregate together.

As for living a good life to try to get to heaven........the bible it's not the result of our good works (i.e., living a good life), but rather is trusting in Jesus Christ alone.

Again, I urge you to get a bible (e.g., King James) and begin reading it for yourself (e.g., start with the Book of John, in the New Testament). Ask God to help you understand it. Jesus Christ wants to change your life.

Respectfully,

SFM
08-28-03 03:08 PM
Sir Stonesalot MotherBaby...I have "joined" 4 different churches, and not that it matters, but all 4 were protestant churches. The type of behavior that I described happened at all 4 of these churches. This very well may be just a product of Central PA...this is a very fucked up place. But I can't justify uprooting my family just to find a decent church to attend.

I paint all the churches with the same brush because in my personal experience...they are all the same.

SFM...I don't need to go get a bible. I own 4, and have read 3 of them cover to cover. If I do indeed end up in hell...alone...I will be in very good company.
08-28-03 10:17 PM
FPM C10 Hey, just a quick note to say I've renounced Ganesh - buying that red santal paste was drivin' me to the poorhouse.

So I opened the bible:

Mark 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Luke 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

It was as plain as day what path I had to take. That's right! I have become a Snake Handler! I joined the Church of Jesus With Signs Following. We have meetings every Wednesday, and I want you to come next week! Bring the family! The young'uns aren't allowed to handle the serpents, tho.

"Let me tell you, the bite of the serpent is nothing compared to the bite of your fellow man."
Charles McGlocklin, Snake Handler

08-29-03 09:55 AM
Zeeta Some great posts here!
organised religion is a no go area for me. The Churches and whole ethos is really fucked I know for a fact many priests abuse their position of authority in more ways than one!
It needs sorting out really for those people who are in organised religions.
That said an organised religion is Buddhism and that is not at all bad.
The USA seems to be an incredibly God obsessed place - with USA flags outside everywhere and "god bless you" signs everywhere, I find it a bit weird.

Street fighting man - why must you priest here? it ain't necessary
08-29-03 10:31 AM
Jeremy Beadles Hand A couple of points on slightly unrelated subjects:

1. Zeeta is a twat (only joking) ha ha. I texted Joe to go for a beer but he hasn't replied yet.

2. Some very interesting points made about religion here, some real food for thought.

3. Sir Stonesalot: You've said rather a lot, much of which I agree with, some of which I don't. However, what I you are 100% accurate about is Bono. He is indeed a twat.
08-29-03 10:36 AM
Mother baby
quote:
Jeremy Beadles Hand wrote:
However, you are 100% accurate about is Bono. He is indeed a twat.

Yeah and his taste in shades is appalling. You can tell ALOT about someone by their choice of shades ya know.
[Edited by Mother baby]
08-29-03 10:36 AM
Zeeta Hahaha!

BTW JBH is a good friend of mine and he texted me the other day only to declare:

"I owe you big time for getting me into The Stones"

to which I replied:

"yes I know I am good arn't I?"

to which he replied:

"No you are a twat but you've got good taste!"

Cool! I laughed!

08-29-03 11:42 AM
Street Fighting Man I can certainly understand from what's been shared here why people could feel so disenchanted with organized religion. However, what I've shared is not about "religion" or "the church," but rather a personal relationship with God through his son, Jesus Christ. "Religion" and "the church" are man made attempts to earn favor with God. God on the other hand says you can't earn your way to heaven, but rather it's only through God's grace - i.e., trusting only in Jesus death on the cross that you will be saved.

Why do I preach, simply out of love. Jesus showed his great love in saving me, and changing my life, and I share with others in the spirit of that same Christ-like love. Whether, people consciously realize it or not - we all need Jesus Christ in our lives. We're created with a "hole" in our hearts, which often we try to fill with other "substitutes" such as money, possessions, power, love, sex, alcohol/drugs, idol worship, hobbies, etc. What we find is that even when we obtain these things, we're still not satisfied and our lives remain empty and meaningless. Further, the longer we live on this earth, the more the world wears us down. Consequently, people often become cynical, angry and hardened by the world. It's even evident from comments shared here on the board. Because of this many people live with a great sense of despair, and feel like they can't go on with their lives. Jesus says come to me all you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:29-30 - "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Respectfully,

SFM

08-29-03 03:00 PM
throbby Preach it brother!

I have a question though. Wouldn't your avatar(image) be considered idol worship?

Was it the Mark Twain character Huck Finn who said "faith is believing what you know ain't so"?
[Edited by throbby]
08-29-03 03:34 PM
Street Fighting Man No, I don't hold anyone above Jesus Christ in my life.
08-29-03 03:39 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, that's what they all say.

So you dig Symapthy For The Devil? Or Stray Cat Blues? Dare I say....Midnight Rambler?
08-29-03 06:40 PM
prism Historians and anthropologists are telling us that the Bible is a collection of myths, metaphors, and superstitions.

"Your old time religion is just superstition" Jagger/Richards, Crazy Mama
08-29-03 09:10 PM
icydanger well the bible was a book made by men,
not by god

the first laws, the 10 commandements, the Old Testament or Thorah
mostly based on facts from beginning of history
laws based on basic rules, rituals
what we call our religion.

priests, scribes after Moses wrote about it,
Ezecchiel, Elias, Elijah, Zaccharie¨
fom 800 Bc onwards
the coptic cross existed before Jesus was born
the Holy Trinity 2000BC (about)
Isis the mother, Osiris, (the builder) Horus (the over-seer)

yahve and elohim

-the chosen race, followed the laws
-he who paid for the christian's sins followed the laws
-Mohammed (swt) followed them

we are all following the same wrtitngs from same sources
we just switched off the points that didnt arrange us,,
freud calls it collective amnesia

In politics people switch, so the laws change from state to state, city to city. /person to person even

The Bible is a book of laws made of paraboles, real stories, and legends.
It's many books not just one
and scribes, priests took 1000 years to put it tigether.

wheel of religion; at the center, faith
Vishnu
the story of Noah was also related in India....

thanks for above posts, i will read through the thread again

08-29-03 09:15 PM
icydanger our knowledge has grown since
did we use it wisely
08-29-03 10:25 PM
Street Fighting Man Hello All,

The bible was written by men who were divinely inspired by God. 2 Peter 1:20-21 says "Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." Any other sources of "wisdom" are simply that of men, and as we all know change like the wind. People tend to grab onto whatever suits their way of thinking, but only the wisdom of the bible remains ever true (i.e., despite time passing, cultural & societal changes, etc.), because it is God's wisdom.

The bible is God's living word - "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work," Timothy 3:16-17.

The most amazing love was shown upon mankind by God so that we may have life: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Let me leave you now with the story of "The Rich Man and Lazarus" about a man who rejected God. Jesus said: 19"There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores. 22"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.' 25"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.' 27"He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.' 29"Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.' 30" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.' 31"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' " Luke 16:19 - 31

Respectfully,

SFM
08-29-03 11:50 PM
FPM C10

SNAKE-HANDLER SUCCUMBS TO BITE

One of the prominent leaders of snake-handling churches in the Southeast died Oct. 3 after being bitten by a rattlesnake during a church service at the Rock House Holiness Church in rural northeastern Alabama. John Wayne “Punkin” Brown Jr., of Parrottsville, Tenn., was preaching with his own 3-foot-long timber rattler in hand when the reptile sank one fang into his finger.

According to a Knoxville News-Sentinel report, eyewitnesses from the congregation said that after being bitten, the 34-year-old evangelist “emerged from behind the pulpit, stepped down onto the church floor and toppled over.” Church officials immediately phoned for a medical team, but Brown died just 10 minutes after being bitten. Some members of Brown’s family have offered that his death may have been the result of a heart attack.

Brown, who began handling snakes in worship services at age 17, had been bitten 22 other times before the fatal bite. Three years ago, his wife, Melinda, died after being also bitten by a timber rattler during a church service at the Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus’ Name Church in Middlesboro, Ky.

According to the News-Sentinel report, “It is a misdemeanor in Tennessee and Kentucky to endanger others with a deadly animal in a church service.”

Those espousing the snake-handling religion base their belief on the often-disputed concluding verses of the 16th chapter of Mark’s gospel.
08-30-03 02:40 AM
prism
"Your old time religion
is just superstition."

- Jagger/Richards, Crazy Mama
09-01-03 01:35 AM
prism The Hebrews were inspired by Hindu missionaries, 1500 BC. Not only is the name Christ derived from Krishna, but the name Abraham is derived from the Hindu Brahman. Read The Christ Conspiracy. Mick Jagger has.
09-01-03 01:46 PM
Sir Stonesalot Throbby....This thread must have touched on a raw spot, eh?

I comiserate my friend.

I like the White Stripes.
09-01-03 05:57 PM
glencar Yeah but he's not an asshole when he preaches, unlike yourself...You're preaching as much as he is.
09-01-03 06:36 PM
throbby My humble apologies Glencar. I would have to agree with you, I have been raving like an asshole. I guess it's the "Jesus is the only way" that triggers me. Don't you think that God (whoever or whatever that is) loves all, no matter what their path to God may be or what condition they find themselves in? Would a loving God banish to "everlasting darkness" the majority of humankind for struggling to understand how to live their lives? Isn't this message a part of SFM's posts? That hell awaits us if we don't accept Christ, and only Christ. Think of the countless millions who've died in wars based on a ridgid belief in a dogmatic faith. Think of the horrors that have taken place when one group of humanity felt they were closer to God than the rest. I will stop my ravings, but aren't some things worth getting pissed off about?
[Edited by throbby]
09-02-03 01:19 PM
Street Fighting Man Hello Throbby/All,

Thanks for your replies. First of all, I'd like to apologize if I've said anything that personally offended you. Please be assured however, that what I've shared is not my personal opinion, but is simply the word of God (and as such does not reflect my personal likes, dislikes, biases, etc.). My confidence is not in myself, but simply through believing the truth of God's Word. It's not what I say that matters for eternity, but rather what God says that counts. When Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father except by Me," (John 14:6). God very clearly stated that only through Jesus Christ (i.e., no other religions, philosophies, acts of good works, etc.) could anyone get to "The Kingdom of Heaven." The Bible says clearly that without Christ, people's soles are perishing. However, the "Good News" is that God provide a way to salvation though Jesus Christ, who died for the sins of the world (i.e, He provides us with a way that we might not perish in hell). God simply asks that we accept his "gift" of grace by turning from our sins (i.e., with an attitude of repentance) and following Him. Unfortunately, most people deny Christ because they don't want to give up their lifestyle - i.e., they love the things of the flesh and not God.

I don't come before you as a perfect person. The Bible says that Christ died for us yet while we were still sinners. Only Jesus Christ was perfect. However, I am forgiven, and because of my personal relationship with Christ I seek to follow how God instructs to live my life as a Christian in His Word. I certainly make mistakes, but I ask God to work in my life through the power of the "Holy Spirit" of God to change my life to make me more like his son, Jesus Christ, each day. As God "works out" those things in my life that are not Christ-like, He has given me peace, joy, love for others, and a purpose in living to follow God's plan for my life. God desires to do the same in everyone's life.

I don't uphold the Rolling Stones or their lifestyle in any way. Truth be know, I hope that God will open their hearts to His truth before they pass from this earth. The bible tells Christians to be "in the world, not of the world." God commands Christians to boldly & unashamedly proclaim his message to a spiritually lost & dying world. As for why I've posted on this board, it's simply because of the love of Christ in my life, and simple gratitude for how He's changed me into "a new creation in Christ." With the love of Christ, I hope that others will turn to Jesus and experience "The Most Excellent Way" of His love in their lives. Seek Christ and you shall find Him.

Respectfully,

SFM
09-02-03 08:52 PM
throbby "If you knew what life was worth, you would look for yours on Earth"

09-02-03 11:44 PM
gypsy I thought of you today, SS. At work, we toured the hospital...including a visit to the little chapel...where someone had just donated a stained-glass window depicting Jesus with his hand on some kneeling guys head...well, it looked like Jesus was forcing the poor guy to perform a sexual act...I started giggling, and thankfully, so did this other girl...so, I made a new friend at work! Yay!
09-03-03 12:30 AM
Sir Stonesalot I'm confused as to why you would think of me while looking at an image of Jesus forcing oral on some other dude.

I mean, why would I come to mind in an instance of homosexual blasphemy? I may be a blasphemer...but I'm not gay.

I think I'm offended....but on the other hand....you think about lil' ol' me away from this board. When you think of me...am I humming Jumping Jack Flash?

I think that might be a good thing.
09-03-03 07:32 AM
Factory Girl SS, your post made me laugh. Sometimes, I think of you away from RO.

Get your BRMC tix yet??
09-03-03 10:34 AM
FPM C10 [quote]throbby wrote:
"If you knew what life was worth, you would look for yours on Earth"

Well, since you brought up Bob Marley, let's make this particular fairy tale our daily lesson in equal time - because the only thing I have against SFM's preaching is the whole aspect of "it's not MY idea, it's GOD's, which means YOU are wrong if you believe anything else." That's just rude! So everytime SFM delivers a sermon about his own murderous fairy tale, I will balance it with one equally unbelievable. (As far as I know, however, no one ever got killed over Ganesh worship)

Today's Fairy Tale: Rastafarianism!

In 1930 in Ethiopia, Ras Tafari Makonnen was crowned King of Kings and Lord of Lords with the throne-name Haile Selassie the First and a new chapter in the struggle, one with religious connotations, was opened. God was finally real and the Christian doctrine was no longer the monopoly of white missionaries with headquarters in Rome. The bible was studied and any reference to Ethiopia took on added significance.

Ethiopia, being attacked by Italy at the start of the second world war, galvanized interest and concern in the struggle of good over evil. During this period, the Ethiopian World Federation was formed in the United States of America under the guidance of the Emperor Haile Selassie the First, to unite the support for the restoration of Ethiopia's sovereignty. After the war, and the defeat of Italy, the Emperor showed his appreciation by donating land at Shashamane, to anyone of African descent in the west who wanted to return to the mother-land. Time, however, was creating Africans with various aspirations. New generations were producing new societies of Africans in the West.

Independent nations were beginning to form and black majority rule was imminent. In Jamaica, the reverence of Emperor Haile Selassie continued to create distinguishable movements, such as Nyabinghi, the Ethiopian National Congress or Bobo dreads, the Twelve Tribes of Israel.

The Twelve Tribes of Israel, founded by the Prophet Gad, has added another dimension in the liberation movement, to include liberation for all races through the teaching of the bible, and the acceptance of Jesus Christ. Membership is not limited, but inclusive. By identifying the spiritual sons of Jacob and finding truth for oneself through reading the bible "a chapter a day", man can find salvation. The divine lineage continues through the Ethiopian Monarchy, the seed of David, of which it is said, "The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from beneath his feet, until Shiloh comes and unto Him will be the gathering of the people."

To Rastafarians, Selassie was much more than just a political leader; Rasta theology centered on the divinity of Selassie as a living manifestation of Jah, the all-knowing and all-loving God. To Rastafarians, the story told by the Old Testament pertains to black Africans who descend from Abraham and Jacob. But white Christians altered this fact to keep Africans in a substandard position. Rastafarians refer to this oppression as "Babylon", with obvious references to a state of slavery and cultural tyranny that all blacks must overcome. To greater represent the truth, Rasta rejects the Bible used by most Christians, opting instead for a "black man's Bible" known as the Holy Piby.

Rastafarians have developed a unique language and outward appearance, best exemplified by the dreadlock hairstyle. Rastafarians also have placed a high value on smoking marijuana (ganja), which is used for meditation and to reflect completely on the word of Jah. Rasta has never been strictly defined, but it continues to exist it pockets all over the world, though mainly in Jamaica. The demise and common man's death of Haile Selassie in 1974 discouraged some believers, and Rastafarians have never been liked by the authorities due to its endorsement of marijuana and its excitation of violence. Nevertheless, Rastafarians continue to follow the word of Jah: "ever-loving, ever-fearful, ever-sure as Selassie I the First." Rasta World Day Without Sense.

I just can't make up my mind WHICH wacky fairy-tale I dig the most! Can I be hyphenated? Like: Rasta-Ganesh-Snake-Handler?
09-03-03 11:55 AM
Joey

Fleabit , has anyone ever told you that you look a little like Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy ( circa 1980 ) ?

09-03-03 12:36 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Joey wrote:

Fleabit , has anyone ever told you that you look a little like Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy ( circa 1980 ) ?

I am 100% black Irish! So yeah, I get that all the time.

How about you, Joey - do people tell you how much you look like Donnie Rumsfeld?

Hey, I'm having a little Rasta Snake Handling party tonight. Jesus told me that you would go to hell if you don't come over!

That's not ME talking, it's GAWD.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7